Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

sslatten wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:46 pm I'm going to disagree with you about Fitts, as he is pretty well clued in and is a far superior supporter of our athletics programs than Cowen ever aspired or wanted to be. Trust me, it's night and day. Lots of funding for things behinds the scenes (academic services, training tables, sports medicine/staff). Also, doesn't restrict athletics from going after "academic" donors. A few capital projects for athletics are close to funding completion, with the university helping, not hindering, the advancement of these projects. Also, has opened the pursestrings on head coach/asst coach pay to where we are no longer at the bottom of our conference, we are right in the middle, as of now. Also, we don't go cheap on travel/lodging for our athletes anymore. I am thinking this year will be our best athletics year overall in quite some time, and he does deserve a small portion of the credit. It will always be a battle at TU with the "superior-minded" academics, but Fitts has pushed back more than a few times and won his share of the battles. Is he perfect or where i want him to be, hell no, but he is a fan and attends a lot of sporting events and he does know that recognition of our sports teams leads to good things for Tulane as a whole.
Thank you for your post Mr Slatten. You are certainly in a position to know far more than those here about President Fitts and his position with respect to Tulane athletics! Much appreciated!

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for clearing that up about not being restricted from going after academic donors as a couple of people here swore he did.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

sslatten wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:46 pm I'm going to disagree with you about Fitts, as he is pretty well clued in and is a far superior supporter of our athletics programs than Cowen ever aspired or wanted to be. Trust me, it's night and day. Lots of funding for things behinds the scenes (academic services, training tables, sports medicine/staff). Also, doesn't restrict athletics from going after "academic" donors. A few capital projects for athletics are close to funding completion, with the university helping, not hindering, the advancement of these projects. Also, has opened the pursestrings on head coach/asst coach pay to where we are no longer at the bottom of our conference, we are right in the middle, as of now. Also, we don't go cheap on travel/lodging for our athletes anymore. I am thinking this year will be our best athletics year overall in quite some time, and he does deserve a small portion of the credit. It will always be a battle at TU with the "superior-minded" academics, but Fitts has pushed back more than a few times and won his share of the battles. Is he perfect or where i want him to be, hell no, but he is a fan and attends a lot of sporting events and he does know that recognition of our sports teams leads to good things for Tulane as a whole.
+1, Scott, we both know there is no way Cowen would be paying WF $1,900,000 a year. https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... 177127924/
MicMan
Swell

A reasonable, fact-based post.

That'll never play with the zealots.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:42 pm
Thank you for your post Mr Slatten. You are certainly in a position to know far more than those here about President Fitts and his position with respect to Tulane athletics! Much appreciated!
:2thumbs: Much appreciated, Scott.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

While I agree with the statements made about how supportive President Fitts has been, I am disappointed that the commitment has not been more public. It is not the way Tulane does things, but I agree with Ed Daniels that Tulane needs public displays of support to increase a fan base.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 pm While I agree with the statements made about how supportive President Fitts has been, I am disappointed that the commitment has not been more public. It is not the way Tulane does things, but I agree with Ed Daniels that Tulane needs public displays of support to increase a fan base.
Something we can agree upon. If the University sends the message that there's no institutional support, why should the people of the city of New Orleans (and it's greater metropolitan area) care about the Green Wave?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:33 pm
anEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 pm While I agree with the statements made about how supportive President Fitts has been, I am disappointed that the commitment has not been more public. It is not the way Tulane does things, but I agree with Ed Daniels that Tulane needs public displays of support to increase a fan base.
Something we can agree upon. If the University sends the message that there's no institutional support, why should the people of the city of New Orleans (and it's greater metropolitan area) care about the Green Wave?
Actually, we could all use a public display of adminstrative support also to re-assure us that we are not all just wasting our time and efforts.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:41 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:33 pm
Actually, we could all use a public display of adminstrative support also to re-assure us that we are not all just wasting our time and efforts.
+1. You're especially right about it not being the way Tulane does things. Well that way clearly hasn't worked in many ways. We all know the definition of insanity being Tulane fans. So do it differently. I appreciate Steve and his family (talking Slatten here) but it's not reassuring when he says Fitts is very supportive behind the scenes. What he feels is a high level of support might look like nothing much to us. It was disturbing to me that he said he believed TD was doing everything possible to move us up conference wise but then refuses to listen to a very public interview that TD gave that contradicted that even after I provided the link.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

To be fair, I don't think TD would openly say about trying to move to a better conference, because that would come across negatively against the AAC which has been really good to Tulane. In fact, it would be poor judgement of him or any AD to say openly.
capwave
High Tide

greenie78 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:44 pm To be fair, I don't think TD would openly say about trying to move to a better conference, because that would come across negatively against the AAC which has been really good to Tulane. In fact, it would be poor judgement of him or any AD to say openly.
This is true!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The other AD's at the schools that left openly talked about it. The Tulane way is not the right way. More than that if he was truly looking to move us up he wouldn't have been so definitive in that interview that it wouldn't do us any good since we are slotted where we are worth wise.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Academically, and location-wise, Tulane has enough going for it to be considered by the Big 12 or ACC--and in fact we have been under consideration in the past. What we need is competitive success and a very public commitment to a successful athletic program. There are enough fans in N.O. and the surrounding area to fill even an expanded Yulman. If Fitts and Dannen are really undertaking efforts to get us in a better conference, then they should just ask the conference leadership what it will take in terms of facilities and commitment. I don't know anyone who would question that fan support will grow if Tulane gets into a real conference and decides to do what it takes to compete.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:24 am Academically, and location-wise, Tulane has enough going for it to be considered by the Big 12 or ACC--and in fact we have been under consideration in the past. What we need is competitive success and a very public commitment to a successful athletic program. There are enough fans in N.O. and the surrounding area to fill even an expanded Yulman. If Fitts and Dannen are really undertaking efforts to get us in a better conference, then they should just ask the conference leadership what it will take in terms of facilities and commitment. I don't know anyone who would question that fan support will grow if Tulane gets into a real conference and decides to do what it takes to compete.
True, and I believe the ACC would be a better fit for Tulane than the Big 12. We all now await whether Clemson, Miami, Louisville & FSU bolt for the "P-2." A national university founded in 1834 and the City of New Orleans offer appeal to any conference.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

While I appreciate your point of view and contributions to this board and Tulane Athletics, it's all about perception. And the public and nationwide perception is that Tulane has not and does not support Athletics, nor does it aspire to move to a better conference and compete with the big boys. That's what it comes down to.

Everything you said is great, but where has everything you mentioned gotten us outside of our NOLA bubble? What do others think of us? Where do others see us? Do the P4 conferences want us?

Until the perception we present to others changes, our reality will remain the same.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Greeniegb
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:42 am
While I appreciate your point of view and contributions to this board and Tulane Athletics, it's all about perception. And the public and nationwide perception is that Tulane has not and does not support Athletics, nor does it aspire to move to a better conference and compete with the big boys. That's what it comes down to.

Everything you said is great, but where has everything you mentioned gotten us outside of our NOLA bubble? What do others think of us? Where do others see us? Do the P4 conferences want us?

Until the perception we present to others changes, our reality will remain the same.
If we win out against Houston, UCF and Cincinnati, and SMU, our perception will change big time. Winning changes perception!!! Our recruiting will get a huge boost, New Orleans is always a big selling point to the Big 12 getting a foothold in La. Big unknown is will our fans step up to support a top program!!!
Wave755
Tsunami

Hopefully this time, and unlike for 1979/80, 1998 & 2003, we give the "idiot gear" ⚙️ a "miss" and proceed instead to put the athletic program in overdrive. 🤞
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Don’t blame the media. Calling for commitment in hopes of a Big 12 invite
https://crescentcitysports.com/commimen ... l-success/
Because of that commitment, Cincinnati will be leaving the American for the Big XII.
Conference realignment will continue for years to come. If Tulane got into the Big XII, what do you think attendance might be for a home slate that includes TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas Tech? Attendance would grow exponentially.
Blaming the media is a red herring. It is all about commitment. It is time to build on the momentum of potentially a great season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:43 pm Don’t blame the media. Calling for commitment in hopes of a Big 12 invite
Because of that commitment, Cincinnati will be leaving the American for the Big XII.
Conference realignment will continue for years to come. If Tulane got into the Big XII, what do you think attendance might be for a home slate that includes TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas Tech? Attendance would grow exponentially.
Blaming the media is a red herring. It is all about commitment. It is time to build on the momentum of potentially a great season.
Mixed message in that article. He ultimately does call out the university for not making the commitment, but he starts off the article by attacking us, the Tulane supporters, for trying to get the media to do their part.

I also think his opinion and my opinion of the media's role are two different things. He seems to think its our job to be good first, if we expect to be reported on. He even made the point that all the media were there at the press conference, BECAUSE they're winning. My opinion is, the media's job is to report on the local news, REGARDLESS of whether its good or bad, whether we're winning or losing. Its their job to INFORM the public of what's happening in the city. Not to inform them only if its good, or if the media feels its worth reporting.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:43 pm Don’t blame the media. Calling for commitment in hopes of a Big 12 invite
Mixed message in that article. He ultimately does call out the university for not making the commitment, but he starts off the article by attacking us, the Tulane supporters, for trying to get the media to do their part.

I also think his opinion and my opinion of the media's role are two different things. He seems to think its our job to be good first, if we expect to be reported on. He even made the point that all the media were there at the press conference, BECAUSE they're winning. My opinion is, the media's job is to report on the local news, REGARDLESS of whether its good or bad, whether we're winning or losing. Its their job to INFORM the public of what's happening in the city. Not to inform them only if its good, or if the media feels its worth reporting.
Old school thoughts there. The media today is trying to survive. They are in business to make money first. I was told by Guerry and Jeff Duncan that clicks is all that matters. Writers are even paid based on clicks. LSU stories get the most clicks. It sucks buts that’s how they stay in business today. Unfortunately Tulane stories at this time don’t generate much interest. Therefore we don’t get the coverage. Now if we start winning and more people click things might improve. As far as TV media Ed by far gives us the most coverage.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

All things considered, Ed is a friend of Tulane athletics and often criticizes Tulane admin for not being openly committed. Last week he called for a public declaration from Tulane admin to commit to being a top 25 football program. Men's basketball will also bring excitement this yearr.
Wave755
Tsunami

Ed often talks Tulane football 🏈 together with JT Curtis on his show. No one questions whether JT Curtis is a Tulane fan.
sader24
Tsunami

The media have covered us proportionately to our attendance and how many people care about our results. It is very cringeworthy and always has been to listen to Tulane fans blame the media for poor coverage when the blame lies at the feet of Tulane itself. You have to win and win consistently against good competition to attract fans and media coverage. End of story. This team needs to find a way to win 9-10 games this season and win 9 or 10 games next season. The media will follow as will the fans. The University needs to find a way to get us into the ACC or the Big 12. Improve our position and bring us into a conference with better competition that creates more interest. The media has never prevented Tulane from being a very successful program, Tulane has done that on their own. If Tulane decides tomorrow that it wants to do and demands to have a Top 30 Athletic Program, they can.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed-itorial: Riding the Wave of Enthusiam – who’s on board?
Video
https://wgno.com/sports/ed-itorial-ridi ... -on-board/
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:57 pm The media have covered us proportionately to our attendance and how many people care about our results. It is very cringeworthy and always has been to listen to Tulane fans blame the media for poor coverage when the blame lies at the feet of Tulane itself. You have to win and win consistently against good competition to attract fans and media coverage. End of story. This team needs to find a way to win 9-10 games this season and win 9 or 10 games next season. The media will follow as will the fans. The University needs to find a way to get us into the ACC or the Big 12. Improve our position and bring us into a conference with better competition that creates more interest. The media has never prevented Tulane from being a very successful program, Tulane has done that on their own. If Tulane decides tomorrow that it wants to do and demands to have a Top 30 Athletic Program, they can.
We’ll said. Fans complaining about Ed Daniels calling out Tulane are clueless. They have had their head buried in the sands for years. Since the Wave is 6-1 now the those fans need something else to complain about so they target our only friend in the media Ed Daniels.