Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:11 pm
About half his show last night covered Tulane FB. Had GKat on as studio guest.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We were "right in the thick of it" until last Saturday when we laid an egg in Philly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenphantom
Swell

Great comments from Ed. American is a good, solid conference but it’s the way we play on the road that is so perplexing and frustrating.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm Great comments from Ed. American is a good, solid conference but it’s the way we play on the road that is so perplexing and frustrating.
I think UCF feels the same way.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Thankfully we don’t need to figure it out this week, they do
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Losing Culture Uptown…
https://clarionherald.org/news/losing-c ... head-coach
Tulane used to own Cincinnati in football. From 1990 to 2000, the Wave defeated the Bearcats in football five consecutive times.

In February, Cincinnati gave football coach Luke Fickell an extension through 2028 and will pay him more than $5 million per season.

Cincinnati’s director of athletics John Cunningham said the following about Fickell’s hefty pay increase: “We understand what it is going to take and what the price of poker is in the Big 12. That’s going to be something we’ll have to continue to grow.”
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

It took a one-off historic season -- and competing offers -- for UC to figure that out. When Luke fails to get back to the Final Four, then what? Sauce Gardners don't grow on trees. Ray Rice got Greg Schiano and Rutgers thisclose to a top four ranking and eventually into the B1G, and not much since.
Show Me
Tsunami

Ed continues to call it correctly when it comes to administration support.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:29 pm Ed continues to call it correctly when it comes to administration support.
No doubt. He knows a dead beat group when he sees one.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

Thanks, Ed
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:51 pm

Thanks, Ed
Official attendance: 14,193
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:14 pm Official attendance: 14,193
That must include season ticket holders even if they didn’t attend the game. At best the stadium was 1/3-1/4 filled. That’s approximately 5000-7000 bodies.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right. Those announced numbers are always BS. If we hadn't lost to USM we might have got 15k. Have to keep winning every game to get the crowd back out this season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

We should have a nice crowd for homecoming on October 22nd against Memphis.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:24 pm We should have a nice crowd for homecoming on October 22nd against Memphis.
Yes. HC usually is our best crowd unless we’re playing a big name FB school that travels well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:30 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:24 pm We should have a nice crowd for homecoming on October 22nd against Memphis.
Yes. HC usually is our best crowd unless we’re playing a big name FB school that travels well.
Right. HC does draw well. It was fake news when they said 20k were at the USM game and that it was the most people at a game since the GT opening game. All the HC games have drawn more than the USM game.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We will fill it next year when Ole Miss comes to town. Will likely be a bigger crowd than the Georgia Tech stadium debut game. Good name FB program that travels well. If we beat the Rebs we should get some new fans interested if we get destroyed then back to square one.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

I was looking at whats available and if you believe the folks that run ticket sales, almost everything I was looking at was sold out.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:31 pm Right. Those announced numbers are always BS. If we hadn't lost to USM we might have got 15k. Have to keep winning every game to get the crowd back out this season.
I may be mistaken, but all schools game attendance announced, is the number of "tickets sold".... I have 5 season tickets, that Tulane uses in some charitable capacity. I doubt I will ever make another game in Nola.. I may see them when they play SMU, Rice, UTSA here in Texas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Tulane needs to stand out as a viable option for high school prospects to graduate with a strong degree & a realistic opportunity to make an NFL roster.
Strong stable coaching is paramount for change & we have a good coaching staff. Let's retain these guys as best we can and announce a plan to convert Yulman into a retractable dome with expanded West side seating.
We have momentum let's not squander it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:58 am We will fill it next year when Ole Miss comes to town. Will likely be a bigger crowd than the Georgia Tech stadium debut game. Good name FB program that travels well. If we beat the Rebs we should get some new fans interested if we get destroyed then back to square one.
Actually the GT game was true sell out and both decks were filled on each end so ni game could draw more than that game.
Bigschtick
Riptide

What Ed said about Fitts publicly committing to successful athletics will never happen. Cowen was out to destroy Tulane athletics, Fitts is clueless and will do what he is told by the real "Admin" which continues to care less about a successful athletics program and that will never change unless we get a new "Admin" and strong new President that understands that winning programs benefit schools in so many ways!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wave755
Tsunami

For the younger generation of Greater New Orleans Tulane athletics doesn't really exist. For their generation Tulane athletics has never been part of the culture of Southeast Louisiana. A good season or 2 will not change that feeling for their generation.

The older generation of this region, since Tulane has had some success again for football this year, now waits for the Tulane "idiot gear" ⚙️ to kick-in. This generation remembers Hindman Wall saying "no" to Lindy Infante in 1979/80, Scott Cowen in 1998 hiring as head coach Georgia's offensive line coach for $350,000 a year over the then near unanimous choice of the fan base and players of Richard Rodriquez; and Cowen in the spring of 2003 attempting to end football at Tulane just after Tulane had won the Hawaii bowl in December 2002 before a large national television audience (highest Nielsen rated non-BCS bowl game for that year).

So, at present most of Greater New Orleans is again thinking, if conscious of Tulane athletics at all, "just wait and see, Tulane will find a way ⚙️ to screw this up." It will take years to change this perception, assuming this time Tulane really does care about its athletic program.

In light of our recent and past history, it is understandable why so many locals are reluctant to make both an emotional and financial commitment to Tulane athletics. We have decades of perception to undo for Tulane athletics. The 1998 debacle is still an anchor around our neck as well as is 2003.
sslatten
Low Tide

I'm going to disagree with you about Fitts, as he is pretty well clued in and is a far superior supporter of our athletics programs than Cowen ever aspired or wanted to be. Trust me, it's night and day. Lots of funding for things behinds the scenes (academic services, training tables, sports medicine/staff). Also, doesn't restrict athletics from going after "academic" donors. A few capital projects for athletics are close to funding completion, with the university helping, not hindering, the advancement of these projects. Also, has opened the pursestrings on head coach/asst coach pay to where we are no longer at the bottom of our conference, we are right in the middle, as of now. Also, we don't go cheap on travel/lodging for our athletes anymore. I am thinking this year will be our best athletics year overall in quite some time, and he does deserve a small portion of the credit. It will always be a battle at TU with the "superior-minded" academics, but Fitts has pushed back more than a few times and won his share of the battles. Is he perfect or where i want him to be, hell no, but he is a fan and attends a lot of sporting events and he does know that recognition of our sports teams leads to good things for Tulane as a whole.