Could an Indoor Practice Facility be coming Nov ‘23? Stay tuned...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

It seems to me that many here who screamed about facilities being the reason we aren't in the P group often cited the lack of an IPF as an example. Now that we are getting one, the posts are starting to pop up that we don't need it. This is the root of my problem at this site that, for several here,, no matter what Tulane does, it's wrong.; even if they do what was complained about.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

You only have one saying we don't need it and he's wrong. Yes we have won the last two years but 75 years of history shows we do need that facility and a true football operations center or not only won't we win in the long term we won't be in FBS long term. As to others what is being said is that putting up a 60- 70- yard bubble is an embarrassment facility wise and so we are better off for now not putting it up and continue using the Saints facility and the Dome. Now you can back to your fan bashing and world where everything Tulane does is the right thing because they are just smarter than everyone else.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

My stance is we NEED a legit IPF.

NOT a small-time BUBBLE.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
TURVS71
Swell

Well, I was somewhere discussing with other fans why there was no progress on the IPF.. We “heard” that it would be fall, Then we “heard” that construction would be “as soon as school was done.” I voice
my frustration with the Athletic Department and the lack of “visibility” of our new AD. I was then asked “if you are so fed up with our Athletic Department, then why are you a fan?” I was taken aback as that question seems to sum up our apathy. So, just accept things the way they are or “just go across the street!” Sound familiar? I support the players and coaches …I don’t have to support what I consider the continued lack of commitment and transparency. That doesn’t make me anymore of a less loyal fan!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
arkhou02
Surge

I was for the bubble at first because I thought we needed the infrastructure to move to the big leagues. As the YEARS roll on and the change in the college environment, it is clear we will not be in any position to play with the big boys. It is way too LATE. With that in mind, plus the fact we have been winning and can adjust for rainy days, why waste more money? It just doesn’t make any sense when the school itself has really no interest in pursuing big time college competition. In fact, anyone donating should be thinking along these lines. The athletic department has been put on mute as usual and the lack of communication is more the NORM signaling exactly what Tulane is thinking.
Last edited by arkhou02 on Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greeniegb
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:10 am My stance is we NEED a legit IPF.

NOT a small-time BUBBLE.
Totally agree, the Bubble at Rice in their parking lot was Pathetic!!!
Bigschtick
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:22 am Well, I was somewhere discussing with other fans why there was no progress on the IPF.. We “heard” that it would be fall, Then we “heard” that construction would be “as soon as school was done.” I voice
my frustration with the Athletic Department and the lack of “visibility” of our new AD. I was then asked “if you are so fed up with our Athletic Department, then why are you a fan?” I was taken aback as that question seems to sum up our apathy. So, just accept things the way they are or “just go across the street!” Sound familiar? I support the players and coaches …I don’t have to support what I consider the continued lack of commitment and transparency. That doesn’t make me anymore of a less loyal fan!
Well said and my feeling entirely! Just sick and tired of Tulane's complete dysfunction when it comes to athletics!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:10 am My stance is we NEED a legit IPF.

NOT a small-time BUBBLE.
My sentiments exactly. Do it right the first time.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:22 am Well, I was somewhere discussing with other fans why there was no progress on the IPF.. We “heard” that it would be fall, Then we “heard” that construction would be “as soon as school was done.” I voice
You’ll be here till the end. However AD personal change like the seasons. The university culture needs to change. If winning the Cotton Bowl didn’t make it happen then nothing will. Tulane always playing catch up. Now trying to get long overdue facilities built on the cheap while others with top notch facilities are building their NIL stash.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:34 am It seems to me that many here who screamed about facilities being the reason we aren't in the P group often cited the lack of an IPF as an example. Now that we are getting one, the posts are starting to pop up that we don't need it. This is the root of my problem at this site that, for several here,, no matter what Tulane does, it's wrong.; even if they do what was complained about.
I have to take exception to your comment. It's not that we are NEVER satisfied, it's that we rarely get any actions that are "satisfying." I'm not talking about on the field, I'm talking about administratively from our Athletic Department. I was present when our own Assistant Athletic Director stated that "we did not take full advantage of the 2022 season and Cotton Bowl performance." So when you say we complain, when you look at our history, one can see why we feel this way. I guarantee you that IF the Athletic Department and Administration would SERIOUSLY commit to a FULL SIZE IPF and FIRST CLASS OPS. BUILDING that 99.9% of the fan complaints would evaporate. And yes, before you tell me and use the excuse that we are "land locked" the supposedly creative scholars CAN find a way to do this. They operate on the cheap and that is undeniable. The statements made about the IPF and other facility matters have been vague and the facts not easily offered. By the way, IMO, it was an insult for Tulane to brag on Twitter about the new lunch counter, etc. It was embarrassing and made us look foolish! ..We are NO different than most college football fan bases...I would LOVE to be able to just complain about on the field and coaching performance and NOT facilities but Tulane won't give us that chance.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
wave97
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:34 am Results seems to me that many here who screamed about facilities being the reason we aren't in the P group often cited the lack of an IPF as an example. Now that we are getting one, the posts are starting to pop up that we don't need it. This is the root of my problem at this site that, for several here,, no matter what Tulane does, it's wrong.; even if they do what was complained about.
If you put an IPF patch on a Webelo sash the golden gates of P4 ascendancy will be ours!
bbos1025
Trickle

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that when football wants to practice and the weather is inclement, they usually are allowed to practice at the Saint's indoor facility or the Superdome. I realize this is probably an inconvenience to bus the players,etc. but the team is able to practice thanks to Mrs. Benson. Maybe the money to be spent on the IPF could best be used elsewhere. Just a thought.
Pepper
Swell

bbos1025 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:52 pm Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that when football wants to practice and the weather is inclement, they usually are allowed to practice at the Saint's indoor facility or the Superdome. I realize this is probably an inconvenience to bus the players,etc. but the team is able to practice thanks to Mrs. Benson. Maybe the money to be spent on the IPF could best be used elsewhere. Just a thought.
I believe it is a recruiting tool but you are right, the Saints facility works well. I'd rather see a 2nd deck for the stadium as priority #1.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

bbos1025 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:52 pm Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that when football wants to practice and the weather is inclement, they usually are allowed to practice at the Saint's indoor facility or the Superdome. I realize this is probably an inconvenience to bus the players,etc. but the team is able to practice thanks to Mrs. Benson. Maybe the money to be spent on the IPF could best be used elsewhere. Just a thought.
If only it was that simple. First off per NCAA rules the travel there is lost practice time. Then someone on the other site brought out the cost of the transport there and back. Most importantly is there are still times when there are conflicts and we can't use it which coach after coach has always said cost us 6-8 practices a season. Do you really think we are a program that can afford to miss practices?

Finally everyone here wants us to get in a P4. Those conferences are looking for schools that have the proper facilities We are three decades behind on the IPF and a decade behind on a football operations center. We need a full field permanent IPF and that football ops. center. As to the stadium if it was just so simple as adding a second deck. Tulane signed agreements that make that extremely difficult. We can say fuck the neighbors all we want but SC/RD have made that very improbable. So without hesitation nor equivocation if a P4 looks at us and says they want the conference games in the Dome you do it and figure the stadium out later.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tufinal4
High Tide

I don't know the accuracy of this, but have heard a few times in the last year that President Fitts may not be around all that much longer, that he's been in the role awhile & his wife hates it here etc. If not accurate then this is moot.

If accurate, then the first key step is to replace him with a top candidate from a P4 prominent academic university. Someone who understands and strongly supports the value of major college athletics and the investment to get there, and would have no problem battling & defeating the bureaucracy & faculty who so steadfastly oppose & undermine it.

This is necessary before anything else, leadership that is driven to get it done. Once you have that, sit back & enjoy everything positive after that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The problem there is if that candidate is at a P4 he/she is not likley going to a non P4. Their realistic look at Tulane would be that they aren't getting in and if athletics is important to that candidate they aren't coming here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I’d like to see where any coach said we lost 6 to 8 practices a year due to not having a place to practice when it rains. NFW
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's been said by multiple coaches over the years. Like I said the Saints facility isn't always open to us as they need it. Only an idiot couldn't see that.
arkhou02
Surge

winwave wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:02 pm The problem there is if that candidate is at a P4 he/she is not likley going to a non P4. Their realistic look at Tulane would be that they aren't getting in and if athletics is important to that candidate they aren't coming here.
Then why even build an IPF. Your post is right on point. No one wants us. Playing with the G5 doesn’t merit the money anymore when it comes to facilities.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If you don't build it and the football ops. you have no chance at all. You've thrown in the towel. I get it. Good for you. Most others haven't. Dominoes could fall that the rump AAC gives us a look. You got to try and be ready.
tufinal4
High Tide

The provost or 2nd in command at Duke, Stanford, UNC, Vanderbilt, Miami, Penn St, Michigan, Kansas- the majority of them would jump at the chance to be president of Tulane University. They're in the academic world, Tulane is AAU with a decent endowment. They would have been charged by the board with making top level college athletics happen, doing what it takes.

Tulane's problem historically has been the place they look for their president. Fordham, Case Western, and Penn. None of them invested in major college athletics.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

tufinal4 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:54 am The provost or 2nd in command at Duke, Stanford, UNC, Vanderbilt, Miami, Penn St, Michigan, Kansas- the majority of them would jump at the chance to be president of Tulane University. They're in the academic world, Tulane is AAU with a decent endowment. They would have been charged by the board with making top level college athletics happen, doing what it takes.

Tulane's problem historically has been the place they look for their president. Fordham, Case Western, and Penn. None of them invested in major college athletics.
Kinda like where we look for ADs--UNI.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:02 pm The problem there is if that candidate is at a P4 he/she is not likley going to a non P4. Their realistic look at Tulane would be that they aren't getting in and if athletics is important to that candidate they aren't coming here.
And from an academic standpoint, what is attractive about the CUSAAC dog kennel we're in? Tulane's neglect in athletics, and the financial consequences of that, may very well begin to weigh on our academic standing. How long can we run with mangy dogs before we get mangy?
HoustonWave
Green Wave

tufinal4 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:46 pm I don't know the accuracy of this, but have heard a few times in the last year that President Fitts may not be around all that much longer, that he's been in the role awhile & his wife hates it here etc. If not accurate then this is moot.

If accurate, then the first key step is to replace him with a top candidate from a P4 prominent academic university. Someone who understands and strongly supports the value of major college athletics and the investment to get there, and would have no problem battling & defeating the bureaucracy & faculty who so steadfastly oppose & undermine it.

This is necessary before anything else, leadership that is driven to get it done. Once you have that, sit back & enjoy everything positive after that.
Excellent post!! There needs to be a huge purge of any faculty or administrators who continue to undermine or publicly complain about a major athletic program at Tulane. What have such academic leaches done for Tulane over the past 25 years?
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:56 am
tufinal4 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:46 pm I don't know the accuracy of this, but have heard a few times in the last year that President Fitts may not be around all that much longer, that he's been in the role awhile & his wife hates it here etc. If not accurate then this is moot.

Excellent post!! There needs to be a huge purge of any faculty or administrators who continue to undermine or publicly complain about a major athletic program at Tulane. What have such academic leaches done for Tulane over the past 25 years?
And who will do this purge!!!