Break out the "Short List"

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

let's see
1-Jon Gruden
2-Bill Parcells
3-Sean Payton
4- The "Ole Ball Coach"..Steve Spurrier
5-Bob Stoops
6-Urban" Legend" Meyer
7- ?????
Please add your names to the list !!!!...but I am afraid it wil not be too short !!!!

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

You forgot Butch Davis.

Rich Rodriguez
Mike Leach
See if Stanford has a ready coordinator and quintuple the recruiting budget
Mark Mangino
Major Applewhite
If Dickson's going on the cheap, An offensive coordinator from Miss State or maybe TCU, G Tech or Navy.

If we aren't going to get a proven head coach, we need someone under 45 and preferably under 40. No long-time coordinators.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Bill Belichick
Bill Cowher
Jimmy Johnson
Tony Dungy
Jim Haslett
LOL
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
sader24
Tsunami

Look at young coordinators in the SEC, i.e. Mack Brown/Tommy Bowden. Going to have put up the money to attract one. We need a guy familiar with the South and football in the South. We need someone who can recruit, brings alot of energy to the program, and has experience with big time SEC football. I don't know who these guys would be but just look on the staffs of S.Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ms.St, LSU, Arkansas and you'll find some candidates.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RR
Leach
Mangino
Paul Petrino
Malzahn
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

RR all the way!!!

Cowen should mend the fence and pay the guy. Then get out of the way.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:RR all the way!!!

Cowen should mend the fence and pay the guy. Then get out of the way.
It's really shocking to me that anyone thinks that this is even a remote possibility.

Maybe I am completely wrong but as of now I can't possibly imagine Tulane 1.) paying a football coach as much as Rich Rodriguez would no doubt ask and 2.) even thinking about hiring him given what he represents as a football coach in terms of winning being a top priority over everything and given that he even went so far as to sue his employer, West Virginia, and most especially that he isn't exactly squeaky clean in terms of the NCAA.

That Tulane might even think about hiring him would be a sign of a complete change of attitude toward football on the part of the current Tulane administration.

For the moment, as well, this kind of talk just seems to be talk and people getting ahead of things.

I still expect, because of the schedule, that this team will win about 6-7 games and that Toledo, because the season will then deemed to be a Great Success proving that The Model can actually work, will either be allowed to stay around if he wants or else choose the next coach, if he doesn't.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
msdos
Swell

Yea, there's no way RR comes back while Cowen is still here.
RWR
Swell

winwave wrote:RR
Leach
Mangino
Paul Petrino
Malzahn
+1 and add Jim Leavitt.

Fred as usual you hope for the same so you can continue to post the exact same thing ad nauseum. Fact is that when this season ends we get an answer. That includes if we win 6 or 7 b/c if they stay w/him then that shows they are not committed. And now that Dodd is gone there is no one he gets to appoint. But again for arguments sake if they did allow him to choose that would again give us the answer to the commitment question.
wave to em
Surge

give me a exciting energetic coach........TROOPER TAYLOR

[img]C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\McNeil_and_Troop_box.jpg[/img]
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Trooper is the man. I'm not sure if he would ever be a Head Coach, not that I don't think he could, but his style and energy suit him better for recruiting and getting the guys jacked up on the sidelines. But who knows, it's not always about what you know and can coach, but really how much you can get the kids believing in you. And Trooper's got that down to a tee. Tulane, Tennessee, and now Auburn... the man has visible passion.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:Trooper is the man. I'm not sure if he would ever be a Head Coach, not that I don't think he could, but his style and energy suit him better for recruiting and getting the guys jacked up on the sidelines. But who knows, it's not always about what you know and can coach, but really how much you can get the kids believing in you. And Trooper's got that down to a tee. Tulane, Tennessee, and now Auburn... the man has visible passion.
But he'd have to be willing to take a big pay cut to become our head coach............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:But he'd have to be willing to take a big pay cut to become our head coach............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah, I'm sure he makes more at Auburn in his current position, than he would ever be offered here at Tulane as a head coach.

But,
1. He won't be offered.
2. He wouldn't accept.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Amen on Trooper. He meets all the qualifications--energetic, good recruiter, experienced in "southern football", and is from the perennial 3A Texas powerhouse--the Cuero Gobblers. What more can we ask--get out the checkbook Cowen and show that you can at least do one thing right, because right now you're 0 for everything.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RWR
Swell

As to Trooper see Memphis. He would be a disaster as a HC.
wave to em
Surge

to RWR, i will take my chances on him
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
Fred Dowler
Riptide

If...if...if it happens that Tulane does indeed end up making a coaching change and going in some totally different direction if they would/could get Trooper Taylor, given what we have seen of him, actually, even being the usual skeptic and doubter that I am, I would have to say that even if Trooper Taylor might not necessarily be up to being a head coach -- no way to really establish that unless some program hires him as a head coach and it's proven that he can't handle it -- it would probably be fun just to see him go at it and try. He probably would add some much-needed energy to the program.

And I still believe strongly that it's foolish to look at changing at the head coach even if they're bringing in Jimmy Johnson as the whole entire answer to everything that's wrong -- it's probably the answer to about 30 percent of what's wrong -- and I have to preface what I am saying with that thought.

But it really would be fun to see Trooper Taylor on the sideline and just see what happens.
DrBox
Riptide

Taylor's never even been a coordinator.
We need a coach whose name will sell tickets. Big price, big payoff.
sader24
Tsunami

I don't think Trooper would be the right direction for head coach. He's good at what he does, but that's what he does.
RWR
Swell

wave to em wrote:to RWR, i will take my chances on him
Good then go buy your own team and hire him. For those of us who are sane we want a real coach not a cheerleader.
RWR
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:If...if...if it happens that Tulane does indeed end up making a coaching change and going in some totally different direction if they would/could get Trooper Taylor, given what we have seen of him, actually, even being the usual skeptic and doubter that I am, I would have to say that even if Trooper Taylor might not necessarily be up to being a head coach -- no way to really establish that unless some program hires him as a head coach and it's proven that he can't handle it -- it would probably be fun just to see him go at it and try. He probably would add some much-needed energy to the program.

And I still believe strongly that it's foolish to look at changing at the head coach even if they're bringing in Jimmy Johnson as the whole entire answer to everything that's wrong -- it's probably the answer to about 30 percent of what's wrong -- and I have to preface what I am saying with that thought.

But it really would be fun to see Trooper Taylor on the sideline and just see what happens.
Fred- again you are late to the party. Everyone knows the model must go. But most also know how critical coaching is. Look at bama and lswho as prime examples of schools that give their programs everything but when they don't have good coaches they don't do well. As was stated recently the model prevents us from keeping a good coach but it doesn't prevent a good coach from winning here.
wave to em
Surge

I understand where all you guys are coming from. im just saying, it would get me jacked seeing the coach body bumping a guy who just blocked a punt or picked off a pass. we dont have anything like that at TU, i have never been excited because of something bob toledo has done......... and trooper taylor is the asst head coach over at AU right now and was also the asst head coach at Tenn. so i dont think he would be as unprepared as you guys are making him out to be.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
RWR
Swell

The title asst. HC is given so they can pay the big bucks to their top recruiter. As has been stated he's never been a coordinator. There would be nothuing for him to body bump over if he was HC.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:If...if...if it happens that Tulane does indeed end up making a coaching change and going in some totally different direction if they would/could get Trooper Taylor, given what we have seen of him, actually, even being the usual skeptic and doubter that I am, I would have to say that even if Trooper Taylor might not necessarily be up to being a head coach -- no way to really establish that unless some program hires him as a head coach and it's proven that he can't handle it -- it would probably be fun just to see him go at it and try. He probably would add some much-needed energy to the program.

Fred- again you are late to the party. Everyone knows the model must go. But most also know how critical coaching is. Look at bama and lswho as prime examples of schools that give their programs everything but when they don't have good coaches they don't do well. As was stated recently the model prevents us from keeping a good coach but it doesn't prevent a good coach from winning here.
I always aim to be fashionably late. :D

First, it's just really silly to be comparing Tulane to upper-echelon SEC programs. There's no comparison. Those are like a half-step below NFL level. They don't lack for anything and they all scour their respective states and regions to build up their breadth and depth of roster talent (unlike the NFL there's no free agency, either, and no 53-man roster) and so coaching is going to be a major determinant of what happens.

Everything, however, that the upper-echelon SEC programs don't lack for, well, Tulane does, plus there's Tulane following its own model, the main effects of which are the lack of breadth and depth of talent on the roster and possibly decent coaches either not being willing to stay at Tulane beyond a single decently good season or else not interested in coaching at Tulane at all.

And yet some people want to fixate on "ohhh we have to hire a good coach...we have to be selective...we just can't take a chance...."

Reality: more often not than Tulane just isn't going to get to be that choosy. More often than not you're just hoping to get lucky.

If Tulane could have "chosen" between Harbaugh and Toledo in 2006, which one would it have been?

And sure the model doesn't completely prevent the team from doing some winning every now and then. It's more like you're very dependent on a "perfect storm" situation lining up with a manageable schedule and tons of older players and a couple of "undiscovered jewel" NFL-quality skill players and probably some kind of non-orthodox offense scheme and a good bit of luck and then when you don't have all of those elements lining up just right you're just out of luck -- which is why you're going to see any coach who manages to coach a Tulane team to an OK season get out of Dodge really fast when they can if they manage to luck into hiring such a solid coach in the first place. And that's exactly how it's going to be as long as Tulane remains determined to follow its own model.

And I do not buy into any of the talk that now all of a sudden winning does matter and that they're going to seriously throw tons more resources into the program. I'm just going to have to see it and see results and see results that are clearly happening by design as opposed to mere talk and promises mainly designed to get me to donate.
JDTulane
Riptide

RWR wrote:
winwave wrote:RR
Leach
Mangino
Paul Petrino
Malzahn
Jim Leavitt.
Is a great starting list.