Break out the "Short List"

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

Fred- I was not comparing us to sec schools. I was just pointing out how important coaching is at the college level. Teevens couldn't coach and that was proven again at Stanford. Good coaches came in and won immediately and a good coach could take what we have now and win. It doesn't take luck it takes skill. We have always had a good choice staring us in the face when those good coaches left and we went in another direction.

The main point is this though- you post the same thing over and over. As I said most here have long railed against the model . To us on this site it's a given that the model must go. But we also know that good coaching can and has made a difference. Go to the other site w/your mantra b/c we all already know it and have long preached it.

The reason for this thread is b/c the season will end in a couple of months and THERE WILL BE A COACHING CHANGE. Fans want to discuss who should be considered. It gives us a diversion from the misery that currently is Tulane football. If you have a list present it. If not move on.

As for doing something about the model you need to organize a march on SC's residence instead of wasting your time posting the same thing over and over to people who already know it.

Fred Dowler
Riptide

RWR wrote:Fred- I was not comparing us to sec schools. I was just pointing out how important coaching is at the college level. Teevens couldn't coach and that was proven again at Stanford. Good coaches came in and won immediately and a good coach could take what we have now and win. It doesn't take luck it takes skill. We have always had a good choice staring us in the face when those good coaches left and we went in another direction.

The main point is this though- you post the same thing over and over. As I said most here have long railed against the model . To us on this site it's a given that the model must go. But we also know that good coaching can and has made a difference. Go to the other site w/your mantra b/c we all already know it and have long preached it.

The reason for this thread is b/c the season will end in a couple of months and THERE WILL BE A COACHING CHANGE. Fans want to discuss who should be considered. It gives us a diversion from the misery that currently is Tulane football. If you have a list present it. If not move on.

As for doing something about the model you need to organize a march on SC's residence instead of wasting your time posting the same thing over and over to people who already know it.
LOL.

Until Cowen retires he's running the store.

He's already weathered plenty including the whole Newcomb College brouhaha. He isn't going anywhere and as long as he's around, well, you know what you've got -- someone whose word is not ever to be taken at face value and who also stubbornly insists on Tulane going its own way and following its own model with football and seems to actually have a disdain for the great love and super seriousness toward football that's been part of the southern culture.

And we've already had the marches, etc. What difference did it really make? None that I can see. LOL again.

As far as the topic it seemed like the original post was at least somewhat tongue in cheek and I thought it was entertaining.

Some people, it seems like, took the topic more seriously and then some people, maybe more than a few, seem to have this fixation on "this time around we're going to hire this great coach -- maybe, hopefully Rich Rodriguez, who will magically turn it all around instantly and then the program will be elevated overnight...."

Back in reality with Cowen and Dickson you do know what you're dealing with, as well as, with The Model which, as I said, means that you aren't hiring a winning coaching regime by design as much as you're hoping to luck into one. Does any thinking person really believe that they'd seriously consider Rich Rodriguez? Do I really have to list the 50 reasons why they likely would still avoid him like the plague? Or do like SMU did in throwing some large dollars out to go after someone else's coveted head coach?

Given that, if they do end up making a change -- I am still willing to bet that with this schedule this team will win about 6 or maybe even 7 and so Toledo, even if he steps down, will do so amidst good will and be accorded some say-so in what happens -- why the heck not Trooper Taylor, then (they probably wouldn't touch him, either, given his affiliation with several of those awful, evil SEC programs)?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

wave to em wrote:I understand where all you guys are coming from. im just saying, it would get me jacked seeing the coach body bumping a guy who just blocked a punt or picked off a pass. we dont have anything like that at TU, i have never been excited because of something bob toledo has done......... and trooper taylor is the asst head coach over at AU right now and was also the asst head coach at Tenn. so i dont think he would be as unprepared as you guys are making him out to be.
Not to mention a force at recruiting time and that cannot ever be discounted.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
RWR
Swell

Again the same thing. We all know Cowen is full of it just like your full of yourself. You act like you are the only one to see things as they are. This site is full of realist. And realistically there will be a coaching change and Toledo will have no say. You want to believe otherwise so you can can repeating yourself.

BTW, where's your list ? LOL.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We'll see if Cowen is going to put his money where his mouth is. Will he go cheap and hire an unproven assistant(Scelfo) or a former head coach off the scrap heap(Toledo) or will he pay up and make a big splash(June Jones).

Even though they are out of work, I would consider Mike Leach or Rich Rod a Big Splash! For the first time in school history Tulane will have to pay its Head Coach at least $1 million per year if you are going to make a good hire.
JTLiuzza
Swell

We get a new football coach next year one way or the other. Scott Cowen is in charge of who will be selected. The time to pressure and embarrass that carpetbagger is now.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

My opinion is no way do Dickson and Cowen make a big hire. They will hire another yes man who wont make waves or wins. We have to get Dickson out of here and then somehow humiliate Cowen. It really needs to be a constant onslaught from fans and alumni.
IM42lane
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 am let's see
1-Jon Gruden
2-Bill Parcells
3-Sean Payton
4- The "Ole Ball Coach"..Steve Spurrier
5-Bob Stoops
6-Urban" Legend" Meyer
7- ?????
Please add your names to the list !!!!...but I am afraid it wil not be too short !!!!
Lure Sean back to NOLA, and let Drew Brees be his Offensive coordinator.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Show Me
Tsunami

IM42lane wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:26 am
1-Jon Gruden
2-Bill Parcells
3-Sean Payton
5-Bob Stoops
6-Urban" Legend" Meyer
7- ?????
Please add your names to the list !!!!...but I am afraid it wil not be too short !!!!
Or this guy
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:41 am
1-Jon Gruden
2-Bill Parcells
3-Sean Payton
5-Bob Stoops
6-Urban" Legend" Meyer
7- ?????
Or this guy
“Ed, check out that chick in the ninth row, with the pink blouse.”
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:25 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:41 am

Or this guy
“Ed, check out that chick in the ninth row, with the pink blouse.”
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

We have a few graduates from Tulane who are in NFL front offices. They should be on the short list.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Michael Parenton right here with the Saints.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Greeniegb
Swell

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... e7b1bec21c

ESPN's Pete Thamel tweeted a list of more than a dozen potential fits for the position earlier today. Arguably the two most noteworthy names on it are Bill O'Brien and Todd Monken.

O'Brien, the current Alabama offensive coordinator, has been a head coach in the Big Ten (Penn State) and the NFL (Houston Texans). He has also been mentioned as a possible candidate at Nebraska.

Monken has been the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Georgia since 2020. He also has OC experience at Oklahoma State and Eastern Michigan, as well as with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFL.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CBS sez's it is "Prime" time for GT
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... f-collins/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:57 pm
Does the guy not have a first name?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:11 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:57 pm
Didn’t his family own Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park? :D
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:55 am
tpstulane wrote:
:lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:09 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:55 am

:lol:
this Batt is from ChiTown
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !