TUMB

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

http://www.youtube.com/user/TulaneBand

TUMB '11 - Pregame vs SELA 9/3/11

TUMB '11 - IGNITE! 9/3/11

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
msdos
Swell

great, now katy perry will be stuck in my head ALL DAY
RWR
Swell

Have to say I'm very disappointed in the band numbers. This long in we should have hit 100 playing members. Instead we have gone down from a high in the 70's back down to 50. Time for a new leader.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

msdos wrote:great, now katy perry will be stuck in my head ALL DAY
Don't fight it.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

This is the first year they have been noticeably smaller. Anyone know the reason of the declining numbers?
Roll Wave!
Robert1969
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
msdos wrote:great, now katy perry will be stuck in my head ALL DAY
Don't fight it.
I just play Queen and it just wipes that nonsense out.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:I just play Queen and it just wipes that nonsense out.
So Freddie Mercury does it for ya?
Roll Wave!
Robert1969
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:I just play Queen and it just wipes that nonsense out.
So Freddie Mercury does it for ya?
Modest talent would wipe out Katy Perry from my mind. Freddie was an enormous talent so he easily chases her gone from my brain.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Thank you for posting that., Steve. Although a friend of the band, I have yet to see them play in person.. Small but mighty! As to the lower numbers, anyone calling for Barry to be replaced is just plain mean-spirited and ill informed. I doubt the lower numbers have anything to do with him. Very unfair!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I agree Schtick, the lower numbers are not because of him.
Roll Wave!
RWR
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:Thank you for posting that., Steve. Although a friend of the band, I have yet to see them play in person.. Small but mighty! As to the lower numbers, anyone calling for Barry to be replaced is just plain mean-spirited and ill informed. I doubt the lower numbers have anything to do with him. Very unfair!

Not at all. He's in charge of the band and the school stepped up the scholarships at his request. He has been here 5-6 years now and hasn't been able to come close to the goal of 100. How long do you let it stagnate? We waited a long time for this and we shouldn't accept a sub-par performance from its leader. As usual you are clueless on the topics.
JTLiuzza
Swell

It might be worth writing the guy and asking why the numbers are so low. He seems to me to be a pretty forthcoming guy. Just a thought.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

I dont know the reason for its size or lack thereof, but several around me were laughing and cracking jokes about the size of the band and the frisbee debacle. If we're going to have a marching band it needs to be taken a little more seriously than it appears to be. From my point of view it looked more like a Marching Club than a college marching band.
msdos
Swell

The band is just another one of those things that will get better as football wins more games.
RWR
Swell

bag- He came in the crowd where I sat last year and I directly asked him how many playing members we now had and he refused to answer my question. I started to lose trust there.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Rw or whatever:Hey smart guy, you know nothing of Barry or his band. And if you are so interested, have you ever donated a dime? What kind of mean- spirited putz are you. Barry is doing a great job building this band. You know nothing about the band.
Bigschtick
Riptide

RWR wrote:bag- He came in the crowd where I sat last year and I directly asked him how many playing members we now had and he refused to answer my question. I started to lose trust there.

Maybe he thought you were being a schmuck! There would have been no reason for this man to have refused to answer your question unless he felt you were being out of line. "Then I started to lose trust", what nonsense and since when does Barry need your trust!
RWR
Swell

What an ignorant argument you make you blowhard. I have followed the band since its inception. I see the band at every game. He is the director and has been for 5-6 years. He is in charge of doling out the scholarships and recruiting volunteers. He didn't answer my question b/c he was embarrassed by his failure. You are to Spanier what Cowen is to Dickson-protect failure at all cost.
sader24
Tsunami

I dont want to denigrate the band or the director so I'll just say it how it looks. It looks like the band is getting smaller and isn't getting any better. Whatever the reasons that's for someone else to decide, but there was substantial mocking of the situation in the Tulane crowd during halftime. That's the truth.
Bigschtick
Riptide

RWR wrote:What an ignorant argument you make you blowhard. I have followed the band since its inception. I see the band at every game. He is the director and has been for 5-6 years. He is in charge of doling out the scholarships and recruiting volunteers. He didn't answer my question b/c he was embarrassed by his failure. You are to Spanier what Cowen is to Dickson-protect failure at all cost.

What are you 13 years old? Grow up and stop the mean spirited attacks on a truly fine gentleman who is doing his best to build a great marching band. I knew the man when he was still at USC, the finest band in the land and thats a fact, jack!
RWR
Swell

What are you 2? It's obvious you know him and that's why you are taking up for him despite his obvious failings in this endeavor. I'm not the only one pointing out faults w/his band. They are there for all to see. Grow up.
JDTulane
Riptide

I remember not having one not too long ago so I will cut some slack. But if numbers stay low then there you go... 100 should be a minimum.
sader24
Tsunami

I agree, a college marching band should be able to field 100 members.
tulanetwister
Trickle

I know this thread is about a month old, but I decided to create an account to clear things up seeing as how I was a member the past 4 years. Talent-wise the band is the best it has been since it came back. As far as numbers, 100-120 is the size Barry wants to eventually get to and is probably towards the max that a school like Tulane can achieve. Barry has nothing to do with the recent shrinking of the size. The main reason is it just isn't fun watching the team get slaughtered every home game and away game that the band travels to, so the kids leave. Other reasons have to do with just the differences between high school and college. The scholarships don't offer much money to any student and Barry doesn't get a say in who gets them. He can only recommend students and then the financial aid office ultimately decides.

As pointed out, Barry is very willing to just set down and talk with someone about the band and his vision for it. At a football game isn't exactly the right time.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tulanetwister wrote:I know this thread is about a month old, but I decided to create an account to clear things up seeing as how I was a member the past 4 years. Talent-wise the band is the best it has been since it came back. As far as numbers, 100-120 is the size Barry wants to eventually get to and is probably towards the max that a school like Tulane can achieve. Barry has nothing to do with the recent shrinking of the size. The main reason is it just isn't fun watching the team get slaughtered every home game and away game that the band travels to, so the kids leave. Other reasons have to do with just the differences between high school and college. The scholarships don't offer much money to any student and Barry doesn't get a say in who gets them. He can only recommend students and then the financial aid office ultimately decides.

As pointed out, Barry is very willing to just set down and talk with someone about the band and his vision for it. At a football game isn't exactly the right time.
Duly noted. Just another effect of the losing at Tulane. Thanks for joining the board!
Roll Wave!