What happens if the Big 12 takes two AAC members?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

The city of Houston was the topic, not the U. of Houston. Rice comes in way ahead of most candidates because of their resources and staure among University Presidents.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Rice is content in CUSA.
Jeez, TPS what's going on......Rice is not content in CUSA, basically no one is for that matter. Their fans threw a hissy fit when Tulane got the first invite to the AAC, there was 40 page thread on the topic. They do somewhat accept the saturated market they are in, but they want out.
That's their fans I'm speaking about their admin.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Rice is content in CUSA.
Jeez, TPS what's going on......Rice is not content in CUSA, basically no one is for that matter. Their fans threw a hissy fit when Tulane got the first invite to the AAC, there was 40 page thread on the topic. They do somewhat accept the saturated market they are in, but they want out.
That's their fans I'm speaking about their admin.
From the Rice AD, seems like inside their admin meetings, CUSA doesn't seem so great. Playing that schedule isn't a recipe to increase ticket sales.

"World-class academics and world-class athletics are not mutually exclusive propositions," Karlgaard explains. "That's something I aim to prove here."

“We have not really focused resources on trying to generate our own revenue, and I think if you want to be a bona fide Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) Division I institution, you have to reach certain thresholds in a few different revenue streams,” he said. -

Currently Rice Athletics brings in $1.5 million in annual ticket sales from all sports combined. “We can’t continue to do that and survive; it’s an impossibility,” he said. “We can’t keep shifting this to the university to cover us on that. t. We need to generate enough interest in the community to help support our efforts. This plan asked the university to give us the resources to help us build that support instead of asking the university to cover us on a shortfall."

“Our role is to position Rice so that we can pivot quickly — and that our fundamentals are sound so that we’re attractive in any sort of reshuffling, realignment process.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

All AD's want this. What is their President saying?
I don't know but I'm betting he's happy with the status quo.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:All AD's want this. What is their President saying?
I don't know but I'm betting he's happy with the status quo.

Well their president approved of his vision during the interview process. CUSA is just such a dumpster fire.
Jonathan
Riptide

It's not going to happen. Why start this thread? The university I would like to be added to the AAC is Rice. A prestigious top 25 academic university,great academic and athletic beautiful campus and facilities and a blue chip endowment. Prestige for the AAC. A not bad baseball program! Other than Rice , CUSA is the Sunbelt 2 and the Sunbelt is now the Southland 2 losing all their best members to CUSA.

There is only one school according to their website that is jumping directly to the Big 12 in the next few months over CUSA and the AAC to the Big 12 is U La La!
Last edited by Jonathan on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:All AD's want this.
All?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

cajunfanatico wrote:
All?
All but a few. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
All?
All but a few. Lol
All but one.

And the one won't be honest about intentions and won't ever leave. :cry:
cajunfanatico
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:CUSA is just such a dumpster fire.
If I might ask, on what do you base that comment?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
oliveandblue
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
They've gone from #13 to #18 in conference RPI. Tulane is the 6th/7th strongest AAC basketball team this year. For comparison, Tulane would be the 3rd strongest team in C-USA.

Tulane played a C-USA schedule last season - and went 7-6. Tulane had a better team and played an AAC schedule this season - and went 3-9.

C-USA just simply isn't what it was back around 2004-2005.

You had teams like Louisville, TCU, Cincy, DePaul, St. Louis, Marquette, Memphis, Tulane, USM, UAB, and Houston back then.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
The brands are just so bad, especially nationally.
cajunfanatico
Swell

oliveandblue wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
They've gone from #13 to #18 in conference RPI. Tulane is the 6th/7th strongest AAC basketball team this year. For comparison, Tulane would be the 3rd strongest team in C-USA.

Tulane played a C-USA schedule last season - and went 7-6. Tulane had a better team and played an AAC schedule this season - and went 3-9.

You had teams like Louisville, TCU, Cincy, DePaul, St. Louis, Marquette, Memphis, Tulane, USM, UAB, and Houston back then.
USM and UAB are still in C-USA of course, though everyone would agree that with the loss of teams like those you mentioned, the conference isn't nearly what it was 10 years ago. Heck, two of those programs are now in the ranks of the P-5's.

Having said that, I think the characterization of the conference as a dumpster fire is a tad extreme. To me, C-USA actually seems to have weathered conference realignment in pretty decent shape. For instance, it appears they'll finish ranked just behind the Moutain West Conference and ahead of the AAC this year in football and currently have a basketball team ranked in the AP Top 25, Old Dominion. I think the G-5's need another two or three years functioning in this new system before we know who the real losers and winners were in realignment.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

USM and UAB are still in C-USA of course, though everyone would agree that with the loss of teams like those you mentioned, the conference isn't nearly what it was 10 years ago. Heck, two of those programs are now in the ranks of the P-5's.

Having said that, I think the characterization of the conference as a dumpster fire is a tad extreme. To me, C-USA actually seems to have weathered conference realignment in pretty decent shape. For instance, it appears they'll finish ranked just behind the Moutain West Conference and ahead of the AAC this year in football and currently have a basketball team ranked in the AP Top 25, Old Dominion. I think the G-5's need another two or three years functioning in this new system before we know who the real losers and winners were in realignment.
Only fans of the CUSA teams know or care. As a huge sports fan, I respect some of what the CUSA teams recently accomplished, however, if I didn't attend TU or live in the South, I would have no clue who was even in CUSA. Hell, most of the country don't have a clue who is in the AAC but most do recognize brands like Cinci, UConn, UCF, Memphis (bball), ECU (football), Houston etc. I would really question the viability of TU athletics if we were still in CUSA. Hell I don't know if I would buy season tickets to any sport.
cajunfanatico
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Only fans of the CUSA teams know or care. As a huge sports fan, I respect some of what the CUSA teams recently accomplished, however, if I didn't attend TU or live in the South, I would have no clue who was even in CUSA. Hell, most of the country don't have a clue who is in the AAC but most do recognize brands like Cinci, UConn, UCF, Memphis (bball), ECU (football), Houston etc. I would really question the viability of TU athletics if we were still in CUSA. Hell I don't know if I would buy season tickets to any sport.
Can't disagree with any of that.
Jonathan
Riptide

From reading your favorite team's Cajun Internet board CanjunF I thought ULL was jumping immediately to the Big 12! Is that realistic?
greenie78
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

C-USA was much better in football this past season compared to 2013. In fact, it was better than the AAC this season. Tulane would have struggled in C-USA in football.
DrBox
Riptide

greenie78 wrote:
C-USA was much better in football this past season compared to 2013. In fact, it was better than the AAC this season. Tulane would have struggled in C-USA in football.
No it was not. AAC was held back by dreadful SMU and Tulsa (whom we somehow lost to). cincy, Memphis, ECU and UCF were better than anything in C-USA outside of Marshall.
C-USA was basically the same as the prior year with Marshall being real good.
La Tech was better but also lost to NW State. UTSA took a big downturn.

But that's not the reason TU will never return to that league. The presidents backstabbed us by pulling out of the MW negotiations and too many regional universities for our tastes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
greenie78 wrote:
No it was not. AAC was held back by dreadful SMU and Tulsa (whom we somehow lost to). cincy, Memphis, ECU and UCF were better than anything in C-USA outside of Marshall.

But that's not the reason TU will never return to that league. The presidents backstabbed us by pulling out of the MW negotiations and too many regional universities for our tastes.
Box the presidents didn't back stab us. Everybody involved finally realized Cowen was trying to throw in the towel and clearly create a second tier of Div.1. They wanted no part of it with good reason.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DrBox wrote:
greenie78 wrote:
Mmmmm, not really, not at least according to some of the ranking services.

Looking at Massey whose most updated numbers appear to be from 13 Dec before the bowl games got underway, you'll find the following rankings: Marshall 30, Memphis 43, LaTech 52, Cincy 56, UCF 68, Rice 69, ECU 74. Cincy, ECU, and UCF lost their bowl games. Warren Nolan, whose numbers are updated for the bowl games lists the teams as follows: Marshall 3, Memphis 20, LaTech 23, Cincy 24, Rice 41, UCF 44 and ECU 56.

Warren Nolan has C-USA ranked 8th with the AAC following at 9th. Massey has them reversed.
greenie78
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
greenie78 wrote:

That's baloney. UCONN, SMU, Tulsa, South Florida, and Tulane were among the worst teams in the country. Marshall was better than any AAC team, Louisiana Tech were as well outside of Memphis and the rest of the conference was more solid compared to AAC which had those 5 awful teams mentioned earlier. Top to bottom, C-USA was better this season. Only the MWC was a better G5 conference.
greenie78
Riptide

College Football Reference also has C-USA higher.
DrBox
Riptide

I realize C-USA is higher in the computers, but I simply don't buy it and a lot of it is a function of SMU and our lack of a really good team. Did C-USA even have a P5 win outside of La Tech's bowl win?

anyway, the AAC won't implode. Even if it loses 4-6 teams, it will keep the AAC shell and recruit 4-6 others who just want to get out from C-USA or the sunbelt. Won't be hard to find some who want some breathing room. Probably Army as well.
the ACC Tex teams aren't that eager for the MWC anyway.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DrBox wrote:I realize C-USA is higher in the computers, but I simply don't buy it and a lot of it is a function of SMU and our lack of a really good team. Did C-USA even have a P5 win outside of La Tech's bowl win?
As has been pointed out, there's no doubt that the AAC is represented by better brands than any of the other G5's and this also translates to a higher perception status generally. However, that did not translate THIS YEAR to better on-the-field performance overall as the AAC was surpassed by both the MWC and C-USA.

Of course every conference has their cellar-dwellers that drag them down overall so I'd personally not use that as an excuse for underperformance. C-USA has its own cellar-dwellers like the Florida twins and over the last few years, USM, which had been horrid.

Over time the superior athletic budgets of AAC teams should help the league separate from the rest of the pack though the new rules in place will likely keep the lower conferences where the P5's want us. Dominate the G5 landscape next year and the AAC may well indeed be viewed as the "tweener" conference some of its fans call it, but for the time being, it's just another G5 unfortunately.
Jonathan
Riptide

I understand from reading the Cajun Pagin site that Ex Flash and CanjunF have U La La jumping over CUSA. and the AAC to the Big 12 in the next month. What are these guys smoking?