What happens if the Big 12 takes two AAC members?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
arkhou02
Surge

They will never take us now as we have relegated to the junior varsity while the University is begging for NIL contributions. How about the athletic department be given one job - turn over every stone every day and get us out of this dismal conference. Do that and donations, season tickets, players, and coaches will flock to New Orleans. Give the fan base what they deserve. Repay us for all the years we wasted our money and contributions year after year after year, etc., etc., etc,

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:08 pm They will never take us now as we have relegated to the junior varsity while the University is begging for NIL contributions. How about the athletic department be given one job - turn over every stone every day and get us out of this dismal conference. Do that and donations, season tickets, players, and coaches will flock to New Orleans. Give the fan base what they deserve. Repay us for all the years we wasted our money and contributions year after year after year, etc., etc., etc,
The University is NOT “begging for NIL donations.” You need to get that straight in your head. The University is not Fear The Wave, and the University’s Athletic Department is not Fear The Wave. Fear The Wave is not funded by, staffed by or reporting to the University. NIL money is separate from the Athletics Department operating budget, and basically your entire post is meaningless given the distinction between the University and Fear The Wave.

NIL money isn’t getting us into any PEE Conference or out of the AAC. It might get us players that make us more attractive, or show we have alumni that care. But you don’t buy your way out of the AAC using NIL money, it doesn’t work that way.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
arkhou02
Surge

Money is money. What are you going to fund if you have a choice? NIL or money required to stay in the big leagues. I know where my money is going to go. Build it and they will come. That is all that matters at this point. When are you going to understand that - probably in three years when it doesn’t matter one damn bit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:58 pm Money is money. What are you going to fund if you have a choice? NIL or money required to stay in the big leagues. I know where my money is going to go. Build it and they will come. That is all that matters at this point. When are you going to understand that - probably in three years when it doesn’t matter one damn bit.
I think my posts speak for themselves about my understanding of the situation we have been in for a long time. I've been called a negative nelly for pointing out we're further from a Big 12 invite than we were 10 years ago. And I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of which money goes to players, who funds it, and how it differs from the money used to build infrastructure. I've also been pretty clear about our chances of getting into the fraternity of the "haves" for years. It's apparent to me that you have no clue about either one, and are slowly coming to the realization that we're fucked. Glad you woke up!

The lack of an obvious dividend from the Cotton Bowl, which was Tulane's finest athletics moment of my lifetime, is a symptom of a disease we've had for decades. I hope and pray I'm wrong, but I don't see Tulane at the top of the list for a ticket into the fraternity we all so desperately want us to join. The American may be our home for the last years of athletics as we know it.
arkhou02
Surge

I will not give another dime to minor league sports. Tulane has screwed the fanbase for decades. I have given enough over a lifetime for what. Just when we appear to be turning a corner we end up in a league that is complete crap. No one wants us. Tulane is the only school I know that could screw this up twice. We left the SEC and we wet the bed after the Cotton Bowl (only school in AAC history to win a major bowl). It is so sad. I am pissed and everyone that has supported athletics should be pissed. No more money should be the motto. It will mean nothing in two years.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

To answer the question posed in the thread's title, Tulane would be screwed.

Sorry, arkhou, but we weren't the only AAC team to win, nor were we the first. UCF won the AAC and completed their perfect season by winning the Peach Bowl vs. Auburn, a team that defeated both Alabama and Georgia who played in the NC Game that season. That was the NY6 game that season every bit as big a game as our Cotton Bowl, perhaps bigger because of the undefeated status.
arkhou02
Surge

True, forgot about UCF. They knew what to do with that victory. We had no clue.
greenie78
Riptide

UCF had sustained success for almost a decade before getting that B12 invite. Plus , they and the other G5 schools only got invited once UT/OU were leaving. Same thing will happen in the ACC once Clemson/FSU will leave. The ACC will need to add academic schools who are competitive athletically.
greenphantom
Swell

People forget that UCF also won the 2014 Fiesta Bowl beating #6 Baylor. Large fan base and it was only a matter of time before they got a P5 invite.