Ryan Griffin

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Ryan Griffin MVP of Texas vs Nation Game
He's turned heads and was the talk of the game this week. Spoke to an draft analyst yesterday who said this week might get Griffin drafted.

A sober reminder that a 2 win team must replace a potential NFL QB.

tnelly15
Riptide

Griffin may have Nfl potential, but he was wildly inconsistent his whole career. For every Uab/ SMU type performance he gave us we got a couple of Memphis or Houston games.
AugWave
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:Griffin may have Nfl potential, but he was wildly inconsistent his whole career. For every Uab/ SMU type performance he gave us we got a couple of Memphis or Houston games.
Pretty much, but good for him. I hope he does get a chance. We saw what decent coaching can do to his career. He broke records this past year. Imagine if we actually had an OL last year...

:shakingno:
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:He's turned heads and was the talk of the game this week. Spoke to an draft analyst yesterday who said this week might get Griffin drafted.

Yeah his name is Nick Montana, who knows the final outcome but I feel better about our QB situation than I did before
Tulane Class of 2004
tnelly15
Riptide

Hopefully we see a much improved OL and running game which should really help Montana.
Ray
Surge

Nice game Ryan ..... Congrats!!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tnelly15 wrote:Griffin may have Nfl potential, but he was wildly inconsistent his whole career. For every Uab/ SMU type performance he gave us we got a couple of Memphis or Houston games.
You aren't getting the connection. It speaks poorly of our program that:

1) an NFL caliber QB could only get the team to 2 wins when an NFL caliber QB should be able to get any CUSA team to .500

2) This would be the 2nd straight year where the program had been so poor as to make NFL talent disappear off the radar screen (see: Moses, Dezman).
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Krewe of Ham & Eggs wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:He's turned heads and was the talk of the game this week. Spoke to an draft analyst yesterday who said this week might get Griffin drafted.

Yeah his name is Nick Montana, who knows the final outcome but I feel better about our QB situation than I did before
Very true but let's be honest. Without Montana we'd be staring at another 2-3 win season. We'll have to see how good he is.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Krewe of Ham & Eggs wrote:

Very true but let's be honest. Without Montana we'd be staring at another 2-3 win season. We'll have to see how good he is.
Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with you, while we don't know what he can do yet we definitely I feel we have the potential for a season that has more than 2 wins
Tulane Class of 2004
tnelly15
Riptide

1) an NFL caliber QB could only get the team to 2 wins when an NFL caliber QB should be able to get any CUSA team to .500

2) This would be the 2nd straight year where the program had been so poor as to make NFL talent disappear off the radar screen (see: Moses, Dezman).
1) Yes, our program has sucked for quite some time now. Who's arguing against that? Did we really need to make this thread about that and not about Griffin? 2) How have they disappeared off the radar screen? Griffin was invited to an all-star game and won the MVP. This new coaching staff actually put Griffin on the radar.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats Ryan. I posted a few weeks back that Mike Detillier was on 4th Down on 4 and thought he could be alate round pick to the Saints.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
AugWave
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:

1) Yes, our program has sucked for quite some time now. Who's arguing against that? Did we really need to make this thread about that and not about Griffin? 2) How have they disappeared off the radar screen? Griffin was invited to an all-star game and won the MVP. This new coaching staff actually put Griffin on the radar.
Thank you sir.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
OUG
Riptide

tnelly15 wrote:

I feel confident that not only would JJ be a better athletic director than RD, he'd be a better FB coach than CJ and probably have Ryan in the first round. Everyone associated with Tulane are idiots. /thread
Green Wave
Swell

Gratz Ryan.

:D
ROLL WAVE!
DrBox
Riptide

tnelly15 wrote:

Well said.
Heck our last bowl season was immediately preceded by a 3-8 team that suffered numerous blowout losses behind a QB that would be drafted in the first round the April following the 3 win season.
Eaglewave
Swell

OUG doesn't think much of CJ.
Ball Sumrall!
Green Wave
Swell

Tulane QBs getting a shot at the pros:

Shaun King (1995-98)
Patrick Ramsey (1998-2001)
J P Loosman (1999-2003)
Lester Ricard (2004-2006) (went to Training camp played preseason as a free agent but never made the team in the end.)

and now possibly Ryan Griffin. (2008-2012)

I do not think this is a bad thing. Recruiting wise it wont be in the future if Griffin makes it to the pros. It will say hey QBs we run a pro style offense that will get you noticed. Look at all of our QBs that got to take a shot at the big time. This might have been brought up when we recruited Montana.
Last edited by Green Wave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROLL WAVE!
DrBox
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:OUG doesn't think much of CJ.
Sarcasm, my man.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Well, super. Here's a great scouting report on Ryan Griffin with more than a few jabs taken at the quality of Tulane's program. I hope we start changing the perception soon.

http://bit.ly/XbQ03E
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:Well, super. Here's a great scouting report on Ryan Griffin with more than a few jabs taken at the quality of Tulane's program. I hope we start changing the perception soon.

It's a good article. If you say it's taking jabs at our program to say we were a losing team with little talent, I will disagree. That's just a fact, not a jab. We just fired our coach a year ago.

This is a frustration I have with you and a few others here who turn everything into something that supports your agenda. The scouting report you link is a rave review of our QB's NFL potential. It does not mention Rick Dickson, Yulman stadium, Scott Cowen, or even Bob Toledo or CJ. And yet you spin the article as a negative for Tulane. The article says Griffin played on a bad team. Guess what? Griffin played on a bad team. We all want Tulane to get better, not just you; we just don't need to have a flippin' existential crisis every time an article states the fact that we were 2-10 the last two years.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Well, super. Here's a great scouting report on Ryan Griffin with more than a few jabs taken at the quality of Tulane's program. I hope we start changing the perception soon.

It's a good article. If you say it's taking jabs at our program to say we were a losing team with little talent, I will disagree. That's just a fact, not a jab. We just fired our coach a year ago.

This is a frustration I have with you and a few others here who turn everything into something that supports your agenda. The scouting report you link is a rave review of our QB's NFL potential. It does not mention Rick Dickson, Yulman stadium, Scott Cowen, or even Bob Toledo or CJ. And yet you spin the article as a negative for Tulane. The article says Griffin played on a bad team. Guess what? Griffin played on a bad team. We all want Tulane to get better, not just you; we just don't need to have a flippin' existential crisis every time an article states the fact that we were 2-10 the last two years.
You are confusing an agenda with a frustration associated with reality.
OUG
Riptide

We're all frustrated, not just you. But the article was not about Tulane being some kind of football embarrassment. It was merely that not coming from a winning, NC caliber program, a kid like Griffin has to overcome a lot because of the way NFL management approaches drafting QBs in particular. This is great for Griffin and great for Tulane that he is getting props. Everything that mentions our record doesn't have to be something we flagellate ourselves over for another bite at the "woe is us"/"lets hang Cowen" apple
Ruski
Swell

Awesome, I recommend spending the time to read this all the way through
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:We're all frustrated, not just you. But the article was not about Tulane being some kind of football embarrassment. It was merely that not coming from a winning, NC caliber program, a kid like Griffin has to overcome a lot because of the way NFL management approaches drafting QBs in particular. This is great for Griffin and great for Tulane that he is getting props. Everything that mentions our record doesn't have to be something we flagellate ourselves over for another bite at the "woe is us"/"lets hang Cowen" apple
Um, it did not refer to our record as a matter or fact or in passing. The gist of the article is to discuss the affects of a losing program, like Tulane, on scouting. We're almost 3 years from the Playbook and we're still being referred to as "routinely overmatched" and we have to replace a NFL caliber QB, so 2013 doesn't look like a bowl season either.
tnelly15
Riptide

I honestly don't think the drop off from Griffin to Montana will be too significant.