Baseball presents Tulane’s best chance at a National Championship

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Story by Ed Daniels
https://crescentcitysports.com/baseball ... g-forward/
In 2023, after a 19-win regular season, the Green Wave won the American Athletic Conference Tournament and clinched an NCAA bid. A year later, Tulane won 36, the biggest single season improvement in Division I, and again played in the NCAA regionals.
So, my guess is Tulane has right coach for the job. Many of the high school coaches have told me the same thing. They respect the head coach and the fact that he recruits local high schools.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

Ed Daniels:

So, my guess is Tulane has right coach for the job. Many of the high school coaches have told me the same thing. They respect the head coach and the fact that he recruits local high schools.

So, what’s next? That’s a question only the Tulane administration can ask.

If they asked me, I would reply with questions needing answers. I would ask them, why have there been so few high water marks since the Jones era?

My second question would be, what are you doing in regards to financial aid to make sure the baseball team can compete with the top echelon in the sport?

One year at Tulane is now over $90,000, a number out of reach for most households in the USA.

So, what’s the harm in ramping up financial aid?

How much more does it cost to have two outstanding pitchers in a classroom on free rides?

Those are all legitimate questions.

Uhlman has had the bats and has had some quality pitching but obviously not enough. Arms win, and lack of them don’t. Just ask the head coach at LSU.

Every trip to Omaha is millions of dollars of free publicity for the school.

TURVS71
Swell

He states the obvious! 19
years without advancing to a Super Regional . Frankly, i would prefer to see resources poured into football ..Just my opinion
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:36 pm He states the obvious! 19
years without advancing to a Super Regional . Frankly, i would prefer to see resources poured into football ..Just my opinion
I don’t think baseball needs new resources to get there. It only needs admin help in regards to financial aid.
Very difficult to excel with 11.7 scholarships on a $90K cost of attendance these days.
We did win a National Championship in Sailing recently.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ed wrote something else that is obvious to us, but foreign to the Tulane "Bored" .... ATHLETICS is your PR department, so start investing in it, you damn morons ...
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
arkhou02
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:39 pm
I don’t think baseball needs new resources to get there. It only needs admin help in regards to financial aid.
Very difficult to excel with 11.7 scholarships on a $90K cost of attendance these days.
Who are the people investing in sailing? Have the fund raisers approached them about donating to other sports?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:09 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:39 pm
Who are the people investing in sailing? Have the fund raisers approached them about donating to other sports?
They probably off limits to other sports with those large gifts.
$3 million recent gift. They have donated over $7 million in total for sailing. Libby Alexander, a member of the club sailing team at Tulane, graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the university in 1984.

Libby and Robert Alexander are donating $2.75 million to Tulane Athletics to help Community Sailing New Orleans (CSNO) build a new multipurpose headquarters on Lake Pontchartrain that will expand the organization’s lakefront operations while continuing to serve as the home for Tulane’s varsity sailing program. The Alexanders also recently made a gift to create the Connolly Alexander Institute for Data Science.

CSNO has hosted Tulane’s sailing program since it was first established as a varsity sport five years ago thanks to a crucial $4.32 million gift from the Alexanders that made CSNO the homeport of the Green Wave.

https://news.tulane.edu/pr/tulane-saili ... adquarters
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Tulane baseball spends the 3rd highest amount of money among G5 schools. They don't really need to spend more. Focus on the high revenue sports first.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Baseball can be better. If it turns out to be true that we can give full scholarships to every roster player under the new rules that are forthcoming that will be of great help. As to winning a NC in this sport there was a window to do so when we were investing in baseball and other schools, especially schools in major conferences, weren't, Unfortunately that window has closed with all the money the P schools have now. Hopefully we keep our access to the CFP and can get in that on a regular basis and snag wins here and there.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:33 pm Story by Ed Daniels
In 2023, after a 19-win regular season, the Green Wave won the American Athletic Conference Tournament and clinched an NCAA bid. A year later, Tulane won 36, the biggest single season improvement in Division I, and again played in the NCAA regionals.
I like Ed a lot more than many but this article is very lazy. You can’t just add a player via financial aid, that’s not how it works. Pretty weak stuff by Ed.
Then to say Tulane is still a baseball school is also pretty silly at this point.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:39 pm
I like Ed a lot more than many but this article is very lazy. You can’t just add a player via financial aid, that’s not how it works. Pretty weak stuff by Ed.
Then to say Tulane is still a baseball school is also pretty silly at this point.
I don’t see where he says that Tulane is a baseball school. He’s simply pointing out the obvious. Out of FB, Basketball and Baseball, he like many feel baseball is perhaps our best chance at winning a National Championship. Kentucky is a “basketball” school but as I write this they are in a better position to win a National Championship in baseball.
We all know at this point the Power Conferences are now in charge. Just look at the 8 CWS teams. All ACC and SEC teams playing for the title. .
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:54 pm

I don’t see where he says that Tulane is a baseball school. He’s simply pointing out the obvious. Out of FB, Basketball and Baseball, he like many feel baseball is perhaps our best chance at winning a National Championship. Kentucky is a “basketball” school but as I write this they are in a better position to win a National Championship in baseball.
We all know at this point the Power Conferences are now in charge. Just look at the 8 CWS teams. All ACC and SEC teams playing for the title. .
“That is embarrassingly bad for a program that is still the signature sport at the school.”
How do you read that sentence?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:06 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:54 pm

“That is embarrassingly bad for a program that is still the signature sport at the school.”
How do you read that sentence?
Saw that. I think we once were but no more.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

You misinterpreted what he means about adding a second top quality pitcher. With a roster of 35 but only 11.7 scholarships there are better pitchers out there that may wish to come to Tulane but can't because of the cost. If they have the ability to offer full scholarships for the entire roster, it makes it much easier to recruit one or two BETTER arms than what we have.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Pepper
Swell

I agree with Ed. If the school would step up, it would make a world of difference. Football is going to be tough because you have to run the table just to get into the playoffs. Basketball is a disaster. We were a regional club with no pitching. Unfortunately, there are those on this board who do not like baseball to succeed.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
anEngineer
Riptide

The school can't just offer more scholarships to baseball players. That would violate the all-important Title IX rules. In order to get more scholarship money to baseball players, they would need to give the same to every student in the school. That's nothing to sneeze at.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Having watched most of the SR’s and CWS games the talent level of the final 8 or so is substantial. Very similar to our early 2000’s. We’ll be able to tell more with the draft. We have regional talent but to get further we’ll need additional studs besides pitching.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We don’t have Regional talent. We have suffered 4 loses by 29 runs and have one win over Nicholls. We need better talent and better coaching.. .
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:50 pm

You misinterpreted what he means about adding a second top quality pitcher. With a roster of 35 but only 11.7 scholarships there are better pitchers out there that may wish to come to Tulane but can't because of the cost. If they have the ability to offer full scholarships for the entire roster, it makes it much easier to recruit one or two BETTER arms than what we have.
I did not misinterpret anything, he presented a useless impossibility for Tulane, it’s a dumb statement.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:30 pm We don’t have Regional talent. We have suffered 4 loses by 29 runs and have one win over Nicholls. We need better talent and better coaching.. .
At the plate we do.
NSWaveFan
Ripple

Are people on this board suggesting that if we "bought" the best players available through NIL or more proactive academic scholarships, that we wouldn't improve? Much cheaper to "buy" a regional/super regional baseball team than a national championship football team. Others will think that even with the infusion of NIL and stud players, the current coaching wouldn't get us there. You never know - look west to BR and see the results of a team that has EVERYTHING they need to succeed.

Baseball requires each player to trust and respect each other and commit to the team and coaches to succeed. Having a "paid for" team still requires them to play as a single unit, and not a showcase for their talents for the MLB.
Supporting the Athletes- reading the squabbles for entertainment
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:38 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:30 pm We don’t have Regional talent. We have suffered 4 loses by 29 runs and have one win over Nicholls. We need better talent and better coaching.. .
At the plate we do.
It matters what competition you do it against. Our hitters can hit the weak pitching of the AAC and weak mid-week pitching but not much else. Like I said we are a good ways away from having Regional talent.
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:18 am
At the plate we do.
It matters what competition you do it against. Our hitters can hit the weak pitching of the AAC and weak mid-week pitching but not much else. Like I said we are a good ways away from having Regional talent.
Why are we not going after LSU Portal pitchers with mid 90's fastballs that face SEC caliber hitters. Moffett and Coleman along with their starting catcher???
arkhou02
Surge

Probably because we can’t afford them.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:18 am
At the plate we do.
Agree to disagree,