Paul Finebaum on the future for G5 football teams

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Post Reply
Greeniegb
Swell
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

Paul Finebaum on the future for G5 football teams: 'It's not in a good place'

“It’s not in a good place,” Paul Finebaum said. “I think because it just feels like they’re getting trampled. A school like Memphis, which you mentioned last week, or even UAB, unless there’s a second division where there’s a legitimate tournament, which is still open for conversation, I don’t think the G5 fits in very well — primarily because the expense of being elite in college football has gone up considerably.”

As college sports continue to change, it seems like the financial gap and the ability to keep up is going to continue to grow between the power conference schools and the G5. In the past, that was seen in things like having coaches poached for higher salaries or not being able to afford the same caliber facilities. However, if players do become school employees, it would add another challenging financial reality for schools.

https://www.on3.com/news/paul-finebaum- ... ood-place/


TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

And just like a parent that has not prepared their child for adult life, Tulane has not prepared itself for its “athletic” future. IMO,THAT is an undeniable fact!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

We were warned 10 years ago by Mike Slive. He put everyone on notice on where this thing was headed, yet Tulane did not prepare. Shocking!

You can already see it in our 2025 high school recruiting. We can’t afford the going rate, thus commitments are harder to secure.

And on top of all of this they are asking for money for NIL, athletics, etc. Tulane could have had all the donations they wanted if they strategically planned for this 10 years ago. Today, we still don’t have any clue as to what is the long-term plan. The entire situation sucks as we watch schools we are better than bask in the money that is allocated to the big boys.
wavemania
Surge
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:34 pm
Status: Offline

not sticking up for the administration, but where in the heck did you see all these big $$ donors? Tulane alumni don't step up to the plate. They could have taken the initiative and started NIL before it was here. Supposedly a Tulane education can get you places and make lots of money. Well, dang it, I don't see it. Sure, you have a few, but the mega donors are all deceased. If you are a big money alum, then start calling others and have them step up and get the ball rolling,
I'm a life long fan, but couldn't afford to go there.for college. I will donate what I can and buy season tickets. Now I will blame the athletic department for not coming out and giving us a plan on how they see Tulane staying relevant. But where are all the rich alumni? Or is it just bs that Tulane has millionaire alum?
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

The old addage:

“ To make money, you have to spend money.”


If a person , institution or company has money but refuses to spend it, but asks you to contribute to help them. What would you do? This is where we are, this is where we have been and I don’t see this changing.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7584
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

TURVS71 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:54 am And just like a parent that has not prepared their child for adult life, Tulane has not prepared itself for its “athletic” future. IMO,THAT is an undeniable fact!
That's an excellent analogy.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

wavemania wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:42 pm not sticking up for the administration, but where in the heck did you see all these big $$ donors? Tulane alumni don't step up to the plate. They could have taken the initiative and started NIL before it was here. Supposedly a Tulane education can get you places and make lots of money. Well, dang it, I don't see it. Sure, you have a few, but the mega donors are all deceased. If you are a big money alum, then start calling others and have them step up and get the ball rolling,
I'm a life long fan, but couldn't afford to go there.for college. I will donate what I can and buy season tickets. Now I will blame the athletic department for not coming out and giving us a plan on how they see Tulane staying relevant. But where are all the rich alumni? Or is it just bs that Tulane has millionaire alum?
Tulane has money. Tulane has alumni with money. What we don’t have is desire. Hard to sell something you are not passionate about. Play out the upcoming year and start rethinking what the school wants to do with football.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Riptide
Posts: 3319
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

The desire to have strong athletics has to start at the administration level, Gibson Hall. Then alumni support and money will follow.
Tulane does not give a crap! Tulane administration is dysfunctional and old fashion. You never see much creative thought or action.. It will likely never
change. Fitts is all talk and Harris is another Dannen. Sumrall will be gone after one season.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14465
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

The next 18 months are critical to Tulane's athletic future....do they drop down to play in the Southland...do they drop football and be a basketball and baseball school only...or do they tighten the belt, pull up the jock strap and become a player...Tulane has the money, they need to invest in Athletics, it is Tulanes calling card/advertising oulet to America...make me Prez..."tenure" will be gone, TPS in charge of the money...AusTx wave in chage of promotions..and I promise all hell will be breaking loose in UpTown and I don't give one ratz azz less what street or "place' you own a home
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2924
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:23 pm The next 18 months are critical to Tulane's athletic future....do they drop down to play in the Southland...do they drop football and be a basketball and baseball school only...or do they tighten the belt, pull up the jock strap and become a player...Tulane has the money, they need to invest in Athletics, it is Tulanes calling card/advertising oulet to America...make me Prez..."tenure" will be gone, TPS in charge of the money...AusTx wave in chage of promotions..and I promise all hell will be breaking loose in UpTown and I don't give one ratz azz less what street or "place' you own a home
I agree with that general timeline and I take Tulane at their word that they are committed to upward movement in athletics. It's a process and David Harris seems to understand it.
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami
Posts: 5117
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:20 pm I agree with that general timeline and I take Tulane at their word that they are committed to upward movement in athletics. It's a process and David Harris seems to understand it.
Commitment and action are entirely different. It's past time to see action.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
nawlinspete
Riptide
Posts: 2983
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Please , an Engineer , explain what you are referring to when you state that David Harris understands how we will be upwardly mobile in Athletics soon.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2924
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:43 pm Please , an Engineer , explain what you are referring to when you state that David Harris understands how we will be upwardly mobile in Athletics soon.
What I said was that he seems to understand the process. You make yourself as attractive as possible for when conferences come window shopping. He's said multiple times that you have to be invited, you don't just declare yourself to be a member. It's purely an opinion that Tulane is truthfully working it. Whoever doesn't want to believe it, that's fine.
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Let’s analyze the statement “you have to
be invited”…My analogy: (I love analogies )

You are looking for a partner on Match. Com.
You post your picture but, you don't comb your
hair enough, have a uni-brow and food caught between your teeth. How many “looks”do you think you’d get ?. So who is going to “invite” you? Of course you have to be “invited” to join a conference, not a genius statement, BUT you have to “make” yourself “inviteable.”
So how many of you feel that we have made ourselves “inviteable?” If you feel that way, tell us what we have done!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5131
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:43 pm Please , an Engineer , explain what you are referring to when you state that David Harris understands how we will be upwardly mobile in Athletics soon.
What I said was that he seems to understand the process. You make yourself as attractive as possible for when conferences come window shopping. He's said multiple times that you have to be invited, you don't just declare yourself to be a member. It's purely an opinion that Tulane is truthfully working it. Whoever doesn't want to believe it, that's fine.
SMU wasn’t invited. They “Pony’d” Up to get in.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:20 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:23 pm The next 18 months are critical to Tulane's athletic future....do they drop down to play in the Southland...do they drop football and be a basketball and baseball school only...or do they tighten the belt, pull up the jock strap and become a player...Tulane has the money, they need to invest in Athletics, it is Tulanes calling card/advertising oulet to America...make me Prez..."tenure" will be gone, TPS in charge of the money...AusTx wave in chage of promotions..and I promise all hell will be breaking loose in UpTown and I don't give one ratz azz less what street or "place' you own a home
I agree with that general timeline and I take Tulane at their word that they are committed to upward movement in athletics. It's a process and David Harris seems to understand it.
Please let us know what Harris is currently doing. What is the plan. You seem to be the only one that knows.
Last edited by arkhou02 on Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2924
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:55 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:43 pm Please , an Engineer , explain what you are referring to when you state that David Harris understands how we will be upwardly mobile in Athletics soon.
What I said was that he seems to understand the process. You make yourself as attractive as possible for when conferences come window shopping. He's said multiple times that you have to be invited, you don't just declare yourself to be a member. It's purely an opinion that Tulane is truthfully working it. Whoever doesn't want to believe it, that's fine.
SMU wasn’t invited. They “Pony’d” Up to get in.
If any other school had the money to do what SMU did, they would all be doing it. It's a unique situation. SMU also had George W Bush lobbying for them to the ACC. Likewise, Stanford had Condoleezza Rice. That's pretty powerful.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14465
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:05 am
Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:55 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 pm

What I said was that he seems to understand the process. You make yourself as attractive as possible for when conferences come window shopping. He's said multiple times that you have to be invited, you don't just declare yourself to be a member. It's purely an opinion that Tulane is truthfully working it. Whoever doesn't want to believe it, that's fine.
SMU wasn’t invited. They “Pony’d” Up to get in.
If any other school had the money to do what SMU did, they would all be doing it. It's a unique situation. SMU also had George W Bush lobbying for them to the ACC. Likewise, Stanford had Condoleezza Rice. That's pretty powerful.
If only Jerry Springer was still with us....of course we could get Newt Gingrich who received his M.A. and PHD from Tulane
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:05 am
Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:55 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 pm

What I said was that he seems to understand the process. You make yourself as attractive as possible for when conferences come window shopping. He's said multiple times that you have to be invited, you don't just declare yourself to be a member. It's purely an opinion that Tulane is truthfully working it. Whoever doesn't want to believe it, that's fine.
SMU wasn’t invited. They “Pony’d” Up to get in.
If any other school had the money to do what SMU did, they would all be doing it. It's a unique situation. SMU also had George W Bush lobbying for them to the ACC. Likewise, Stanford had Condoleezza Rice. That's pretty powerful.

WE have the:

Speaker of the House of Representatives!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7584
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

TURVS71 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:08 am
anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:05 am
Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:55 pm
SMU wasn’t invited. They “Pony’d” Up to get in.
If any other school had the money to do what SMU did, they would all be doing it. It's a unique situation. SMU also had George W Bush lobbying for them to the ACC. Likewise, Stanford had Condoleezza Rice. That's pretty powerful.

WE have the:

Speaker of the House of Representatives!
And specific to Tulane, two former, but scandalized, Speakers of the House. Let's get Newt Gingrich and Bob Livingston engaged in our fight.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13222
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

TURVS71 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:08 am
WE have the:

Speaker of the House of Representatives!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Mike Johnson went to LSU Undergrad and Law School?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:41 am
TURVS71 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:08 am
WE have the:

Speaker of the House of Representatives!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Mike Johnson went to LSU Undergrad and Law School?
I suppose I was just referring to the fact that he is from Louisiana … Should want to help EVERY school in the state! 😜
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Post Reply