ESPN's top Group of Five Teams

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Greeniegb
Swell

The BCS, or the Bowl Championship Series, replaced the poll era. After endless controversy, the four-team playoff was introduced, yet fans wanted more. This year, twelve teams will compete to be the king of college football.

Several spots are guaranteed for the big-money conferences; however, only one Group of Five teams will be picked. As we reported here, Boise State is picked to represent the non-power conferences.

However, ESPN has a different team representing the Group of Five. Let's take a look at their list:

10. Troy, Alabama

9. UNLV

8. Tulane

7. Miami (Ohio)

6.James Madison

5. Appalachian State

4. Fresno State

3. Liberty

2. Boise State

1. Memphis

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

too many "trap games" for Memphis State....Troy, Florida State, UTSA, USF, Tulane

Boise State has road games at Georgia Southern, Oregon State, Oregon, UNLV, Hawaii and they have Washington State at home

should be interesting
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:00 am too many "trap games" for Memphis State....Troy, Florida State, UTSA, USF, Tulane

Boise State has road games at Georgia Southern, Oregon State, Oregon, UNLV, Hawaii and they have Washington State at home

should be interesting
With that schedule Boise State, if undefeated, will be in the playoff. I also think Oregon State could run the table or be a 1 or 2 loss team and still get the invite.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

2 AAC teams
3 Mountain West
3 SBC
1 CUSA
1 MAC

How quickly the perception of the AAC has fallen. Would love to see USF, UTSA, Army, or FAU join this list at seasons end. Need about 4 good teams at the top to ensure the AAC takes the CFP spot.
greenie78
Riptide

None of those teams have more talent than Tulane.

Oregon St/Wazzu can't qualify for an automatic bid since they're not in a conference. They have to get in as an at-large.
greenie78
Riptide

None of those teams have more talent than Tulane.

Oregon St/Wazzu can't qualify for an automatic bid since they're not in a conference. They have to get in as an at-large.
arkhou02
Surge

Ruski wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:09 pm 2 AAC teams
3 Mountain West
3 SBC
1 CUSA
1 MAC

How quickly the perception of the AAC has fallen. Would love to see USF, UTSA, Army, or FAU join this list at seasons end. Need about 4 good teams at the top to ensure the AAC takes the CFP spot.
It isn’t perception. The AAC stinks!
mbissanti
Surge

arkhou02 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:43 pm
3 Mountain West
3 SBC
1 CUSA
1 MAC

We need to get outta AAC hell
anEngineer
Riptide

arkhou02 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:43 pm
3 Mountain West
3 SBC
1 CUSA
1 MAC

I don't like being in the AAC either, but if we have to be in the G5, it's still better than any other overall. The AAC has more national recognition than any other G5. Maybe it's deserved, maybe it's not, but it's a fact.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:03 pm I don't like being in the AAC either, but if we have to be in the G5, it's still better than any other overall. The AAC has more national recognition than any other G5. Maybe it's deserved, maybe it's not, but it's a fact.
I don't agree. And you're entitled to your opinion. But most G5 fans don't think the AAC is the best conference, and most P4 fans don't give a crap.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:03 pm I don't like being in the AAC either, but if we have to be in the G5, it's still better than any other overall. The AAC has more national recognition than any other G5. Maybe it's deserved, maybe it's not, but it's a fact.
I don't agree. And you're entitled to your opinion. But most G5 fans don't think the AAC is the best conference, and most P4 fans don't give a crap.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:38 pm
I agree that P4 doesn't care. That's not the issue. The question is about if you're stuck in G5, where would you want to be? I contend that AAC is still the best G5 with regard to media, exposure and money.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:09 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:38 pm
I agree that P4 doesn't care. That's not the issue. The question is about if you're stuck in G5, where would you want to be? I contend that AAC is still the best G5 with regard to media, exposure and money.
The exposure is better and the TV money for half of the AAC is better. But I care about the competition, and I'd much rather see about half a dozen schools in the SBC than anyone in left in our conference not named Memphis. The money and exposure isn't going to save us from the lower tier we've been relegated to as a result of decades of lousy decisions by the Tulane administration and BOA. The days of the AAC owning title of the best G5 are behind us and unlikely to be seen again.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:56 am
The exposure is better and the TV money for half of the AAC is better. But I care about the competition, and I'd much rather see about half a dozen schools in the SBC than anyone in left in our conference not named Memphis. The money and exposure isn't going to save us from the lower tier we've been relegated to as a result of decades of lousy decisions by the Tulane administration and BOA. The days of the AAC owning title of the best G5 are behind us and unlikely to be seen again.
I'm not sure the AAC can't eventually regain its dominant role as G5 leader. The AAC model of schools in media markets is an advantage to viewership and support. I definitely don't want to be around to watch it happen and it may not if Tulane, Memphis and USF find a way out. I still feel we end up in some sort of conference with the ACC remnants, which is still infinitely better than where we are now.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:56 am
I'm not sure the AAC can't eventually regain its dominant role as G5 leader. The AAC model of schools in media markets is an advantage to viewership and support. I definitely don't want to be around to watch it happen and it may not if Tulane, Memphis and USF find a way out. I still feel we end up in some sort of conference with the ACC remnants, which is still infinitely better than where we are now.
While I see your point, I also see that many of the TV markets these schools are in ignore them entirely. UTSA has won their conference 2 of the last 3 years, and was in the running up to the final week of the season the year it didn't win, and their TV ratings stink. North Texas, in the Dallas market, and Charlotte also have lousy ratings. I'm with you in hoping we could get an invite to the ACC, but will the ACC continue to be a power conference at that time? I certainly hope so as that's the final thread of hope we have. I don't see the Big 12 showing any interest in Tulane.

The worst thing that could happen is Memphis and USF leaving us behind. And I agree with Ark that the AD's sole job right now is to do everything and anything possible to get us an invite to the land of P.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:22 am
While I see your point, I also see that many of the TV markets these schools are in ignore them entirely. UTSA has won their conference 2 of the last 3 years, and was in the running up to the final week of the season the year it didn't win, and their TV ratings stink. North Texas, in the Dallas market, and Charlotte also have lousy ratings. I'm with you in hoping we could get an invite to the ACC, but will the ACC continue to be a power conference at that time? I certainly hope so as that's the final thread of hope we have. I don't see the Big 12 showing any interest in Tulane.

The worst thing that could happen is Memphis and USF leaving us behind. And I agree with Ark that the AD's sole job right now is to do everything and anything possible to get us an invite to the land of P.
I still see 3 levels. SEC and B1G as P2 big dogs. Leftovers from Big12 and ACC as next level. Then the G-whatever. I think we can fit well in that 2nd level with interesting games and good money.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We need a big football season to have any chance of getting in P-Remnants conference. Let's go Sumrall!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:23 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:22 am

I still see 3 levels. SEC and B1G as P2 big dogs. Leftovers from Big12 and ACC as next level. Then the G-whatever. I think we can fit well in that 2nd level with interesting games and good money.
I can see Memphis in the big 12 but not the ACC....USF to the ACC should have been done with the CalFord SMU bull krap ...Memphis is a good fit for the big 12 beacuse "pro westlin'" is huge in Memphis and a geo fit for WVU and Cincy..... Tulane needs to beat K-State or OU, I actually think they have a better shot at OU...beating both, winning the AAC and a Pee Bowl game and guess who may make a call....the big10
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:31 am We need a big football season to have any chance of getting in P-Remnants conference. Let's go Sumrall!!!
+ 1 million

If it means Sumrall has to have so much success that he's hired away, I'd gratefully trade him to be in that number. I'd also become a Kentucky (or wherever he went) fan.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:17 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:31 am We need a big football season to have any chance of getting in P-Remnants conference. Let's go Sumrall!!!
+ 1 million

If it means Sumrall has to have so much success that he's hired away, I'd gratefully trade him to be in that number. I'd also become a Kentucky (or wherever he went) fan.
Same here! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

With Sumrall, this team will win at least 10 games in the regular season. Have 100% confidence in him and his staff. Plus no one in the AAC really scares me.
Citypark
Ripple

Direct path to the Atlantic Coast Conference—
BRIAN WHITE

Only at Tulane
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Two schools won 10+ BCS regular season games in Football and made the final 32 in both the D1 basketball and baseball tournaments (final game of regional for baseball). Can you name them?

Hint: Neither football team was their conference champion.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Citypark wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:56 pm Direct path to the Atlantic Coast Conference—
BRIAN WHITE

Only at Tulane
I think Brian White took himself out of the running early. I was in his corner as well. Give Harris a chance.
arkhou02
Surge

We are not headed anywhere. We will be a have not due to both our administration and the athletic department. Our window has passed. Enjoy it while you can because it won’t be in this format very long. Money rules the day and we have been told over and over their is no real money being brought to the table.