ESPN's top Group of Five Teams

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Powerkeg
Trickle

The real question is would the trade-off for what it would cost Tulane, in foregone conference revenue for years and in addition to both a buy-in fee to the new conference and an exit fee from AAC, to get into a BIG 12 or an ACC, be more than offset by additional support from our alumni and/or city leaders (Gail Benson)?

By my best estimate it will cost Tulane:
Media revenue foregone - AAC conference Revenue of $10 MM/yr. for at least five years = $50 MM in total
AAC exit fee - $20 MM (early exit before 27 month notice)
New Conference Buy-in - $2.5 MM

The New Orleans TV market will not be enough (i.e. SMU, Cal, or Memphis). So, if the trade off is negative, lets be content being in the AACUSA conference. But if solid support from multiple big money donors can be assured then lets go for it.

Our AD is sharp, checks all of the boxes, and understands this cost/benefit equation and most importantly so do the BIG 12 and ACC. Bottom line is its now or until the conference system implode; big money donors need to step up now and give/commit, so Tulane can consistently compete in multiple sports at high levels and with tangible investments into new and upgraded facilities just for a chance to get into the ACC or BIG 12.

But for my money, we should invest in new/improved facilities and try to keep our coaches and be happy that we competing for AAC championships; and try our best to strengthen the AAC.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Powerkeg wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:07 am The real question is would the trade-off for what it would cost Tulane, in foregone conference revenue for years and in addition to both a buy-in fee to the new conference and an exit fee from AAC, to get into a BIG 12 or an ACC, be more than offset by additional support from our alumni and/or city leaders (Gail Benson)?

Media revenue foregone - AAC conference Revenue of $10 MM/yr. for at least five years = $50 MM in total

The New Orleans TV market will not be enough (i.e. SMU, Cal, or Memphis). So, if the trade off is negative, lets be content being in the AACUSA conference. But if solid support from multiple big money donors can be assured then lets go for it.

Our AD is sharp, checks all of the boxes, and understands this cost/benefit equation and most importantly so do the BIG 12 and ACC. Bottom line is its now or until the conference system implode; big money donors need to step up now and give/commit, so Tulane can consistently compete in multiple sports at high levels and with tangible investments into new and upgraded facilities just for a chance to get into the ACC or BIG 12.

But for my money, we should invest in new/improved facilities and try to keep our coaches and be happy that we competing for AAC championships; and try our best to strengthen the AAC.
Great first post! Welcome aboard!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:28 pm
Powerkeg wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:07 am The real question is would the trade-off for what it would cost Tulane, in foregone conference revenue for years and in addition to both a buy-in fee to the new conference and an exit fee from AAC, to get into a BIG 12 or an ACC, be more than offset by additional support from our alumni and/or city leaders (Gail Benson)?

Great first post! Welcome aboard!
beginning July 1st, the big 10 will have 18 teams...I think the big 10 will eventually invite Mizzou and Kansas and stop at 20 teams...
On July 1st the SEC will have 16 teams, they are waiting on the "exit krap" drama of the ACC to be settled, NC will get an invite, not sure about FSU or Clemson, several SEC schools, GA, Florida, SC, Ole Miss want nothing to do with them... will the SEC take NC and Virginia....

the best thing Tulane can do is make itself as attractive as possible, win some games and bring value to a new conference, even if it is willing to take the same amount of money it gets from the AAC for 5 years

and to close...the "new' PAC12 is going to be very interesting, they will need schools in 3 time zones, Central, Mountain and Pacific to get a solid TV contract
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
arkhou02
Surge

Love your first post also. But I just cannot buy in. Until I see something tangible, I will sit on the sidelines. I have followed Tulane athletics for a very long time and I simply don’t trust them. The money and time I have spent with the hopes we would be where we are today from a football standpoint has began to crumble with the daily news of what we can expect beginning in 2025. I will not support athletics competing against the AAC, Sunbelt, CUSA, and the MWC. We are better than that and the fanbase deserves better.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I’m not a fan of your plan, powerkeg, but welcome to the board. What I don’t like is that it’s defeatist in its suggestion that the C-USAAC is the best place for us now. If the ACC opens up due to departures, we won’t have to forego all TV revenues. The point being that to do nothing from a facilities standpoint to make us look like we want to be in that number is like throwing in the towel. While I can see that Tulane probably did so decades ago and has been acting that way ever since, I still don’t like giving up before the fat lady sings. And she’s warming up as we speak.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
arkhou02
Surge

We aren’t headed anywhere. CUSA-AAC is our future home for as long as Tulane wants to compete athletically. No one on this board knows more about Tulane athletics than Mr. Slatten and he has reached out for more money for the 2024-2025 season. That’s it. He has a good idea where Tulane athletics is headed in the fall of 2025.

I believe at this point in time the ACC will unlikely invite us unless their conference implodes. Way too much uncertainty to even contemplate conference realignment. And even if they reach out to other schools at some point, others are more attractive than Tulane at this time. Bottom line is we don’t have the resources/money to play with the big boys. So CUSA-ACC it will be. It is a hard sell to convince a fanbase to give money over and over and over when the school itself hasn’t done much of anything to improve and promote its own brand. The constant begging for athletic donations, NIL, etc., reaches its limits.
Last edited by arkhou02 on Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:26 am We aren’t headed anywhere. CUSA-AAC is our future home for as long as the Tulane wants to compete athletically. No one on this board knows more about Tulane athletics than Mr. Slatten and he has reached out for more money for the 2024-2025 season. That’s it. He has a good idea where Tulane athletics is headed in the fall of 2025.

I believe at this point in time the ACC will unlikely invite us unless their conference implodes. Way too much uncertainty to even contemplate conference realignment. And even if they reach out to other schools at some point, others are more attractive than Tulane at this time. Bottom line is we don’t have the resources/money to play with the big boys. So CUSA-ACC it will be. It is a hard sell to convince a fanbase to give money over and over and over when the school itself hasn’t done much of anything to improve and promote its own brand. The constant begging for athletic donations, NIL, etc., reaches its limits.
Being in the CUSAAC is like being in a Leper Colony--the longer we're in it the weaker we get--in fan support, financial support and reputation. I agree with your view that an ACC invite is looking less and less likely within the timeframe we would need it, and will likely require a major implosion of the current ACC. I go with Golf's view that our best chance of getting out of the CUSAAC tarpit is the resurrected PAC 12, or whatever it may be called--which will need to cover three time zones. It may or may not be considered a "P" conference, but it would definitely be the dominate "G" conference and much better than the CUSAAC kennel.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome aboard. Have to say though that like others I don't like that plan at all. It's a throw in the towel mantra. We can only hope this isn't Mrs. Harris speaking for Mr. Harris.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Powerkeg
Trickle

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:44 am Welcome aboard. Have to say though that like others I don't like that plan at all. It's a throw in the towel mantra. We can only hope this isn't Mrs. Harris speaking for Mr. Harris.
I wish we were still in the SEC and never lost the original Tulane Stadium but that's not reality.

We are an academically oriented University that has a small student body in an urban location; we respectably compete in the highest division of collegiate athletics and we have a great group of coaches (Coach Sumrall was the best hire we could have gotten period and Coach Langford is someone that I am super optimistic on, a real rising star who wants to be here); and we have an administration (for once in a long time) that is both capable and supportive (it might not have been the flashiest of AD hires but Mr. Harris is a well above-average hire and best of all, he wants to be here; and so far, he is being very well received by the University and City/Regional community).

Yes, it is a real possibility that Tulane could be invited into a watered-down ACC once UNC, North Carolina State, UVA, Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, Duke, Notre Dame, and possibly even Pitt, Louisville, and GT leave, but in that scenario, the best opportunity would be for a AAC and watered-down ACC (which would conceivably only has BC, SMU, Syracuse, & Wake Forest left) to merge; and I think in that scenario, the new conference could add some reasonable additions (Liberty University, University of South Alabama or the University of Delaware) and hopefully the two California schools decide to leave the ACC as well and join a new PAC/MWC.

I hope I am wrong and the BIG 12 decides it needs to be a 30 team conference and give us an invite but realistically the scenario above is not a bad outcome, because we can compete every year for a conference championship and if we get into the post season football tournament, maybe...just maybe we can shock the world.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said above most aren’t interested in that. Delaware? Seriously? Sounding more and more like a Mrs. Harris post.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

my take on the new PAC12
Washington State- Oregon State- Fresno State- San Diego State Colorado State- Air Force- Utah State- Boise State- Wyoming- North Texas- .... possible members depending on what happens to the ACC and big12...Tulane, UTSA, Rice, Memphis, So. Mississippi, UAB, USF,....I think the ACC takes USF and Tulane.... Memphis and UTSA goes to the big12.... Rice and UAB to the PAC12 .. all will become clear in 2025
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and now, Big News from the practice range this morning...Texas A&M, athletic director, Trev Alberts, the former AD @ Nebraska, has been in talks with the big10..... hmmm...A&M, Mizzou, and Kansas to the big10...might as well add OK State or Arkansas
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:13 pm and now, Big News from the practice range this morning...Texas A&M, athletic director, Trev Alberts, the former AD @ Nebraska, has been in talks with the big10..... hmmm...A&M, Mizzou, and Kansas to the big10...might as well add OK State or Arkansas
A&M never wants to be in a conference with Texas ever again. If the SEC loses A&M, I guess it's worth it to get UT but not by that much. I've read articles about the Big 10 still trying to have only AAU schools. OK State and Arkansas don't fit that.
nawlinspete
Riptide

we fit , we're AAU .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
greenie78
Riptide

AAU isn't going to mean anything for the Big 10 when they try to add Florida St.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

North Texas and UTSA aren't on the tops of anyone commissioner's lists for expansion candidates. We will find out if TV market size alone will get them noticed, particularly since they get a tiny share of local viewers in their huge markets. Most of the country thinks of them as "Johnny come Lately" programs, if they think of them at all.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from the Texas A&M student newspaper....Fred Jacoby, SW commish meets with Chet Gladchuck
https://newspaper.library.tamu.edu/lccn ... seq-10.pdf
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and a History lesson on how and why "conferences" were formed

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/466282 ... t-history/
HoustonWave
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:12 am from the Texas A&M student newspaper....Fred Jacoby, SW commish meets with Chet Gladchuck
https://newspaper.library.tamu.edu/lccn ... seq-10.pdf
And those discussions about bringing Tulane into the SWC to replace Arkansas were the catalyst for UT, aTm, Baylor and TTech going to the Big 12. Initially it was to be UT, aTm, SMU and UH, but the governor at the time was a Baylor grad and the Texas Speaker of the House was a Tech grad--politics at its best. Tulane was a catalyst in the death of both the original Big East and the SWC--maybe our "conference killer" rep is an obstacle to getting into a P4.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana