G5 Playoff Only. Looks like they are finally giving in

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 am
arkhou02 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 pm There will be plenty of schools who will stay where they are and those schools will still be eligible for the 12th spot. It will never happen to the schools that don’t want to be part of this G5 playoff gimmick. Those schools who stay where they are will utilize antitrust if required. Tulane has nothing to worry about.
Top 7 G5 schools most likely to move out. Tulane didn’t get a mention.

https://herosports.com/fbs-g5-power-fiv ... eams-cpcp/

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
One writer's opinion doesn't matter much. Also, the article fails to mention two important teams, Oregon State and Washington State. I think these teams will either create their own conference and recruit from the MWC and AAC, or become part of a larger Western Superconference.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 am
arkhou02 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 pm There will be plenty of schools who will stay where they are and those schools will still be eligible for the 12th spot. It will never happen to the schools that don’t want to be part of this G5 playoff gimmick. Those schools who stay where they are will utilize antitrust if required. Tulane has nothing to worry about.

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
One writer's opinion doesn't matter much. Also, the article fails to mention two important teams, Oregon State and Washington State. I think these teams will either create their own conference and recruit from the MWC and AAC, or become part of a larger Western Superconference.
Ok. Now you have two more teams ahead of us. :cry: :cry:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge

Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State, are at the top of just about every list with South Florida.

Again, antitrust is the backbone to all of this. Does anyone think we have a playoff spot now without it. There is nothing they can do to skirt around it.
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:07 am

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
This is essentially based on finding teams to match up with the PAC leftovers. I wouldn't take it as an insult to Tulane and its also just another clown spouting his own opinion to get clicks.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Super Conference ?...No so, sez's SEC boss Sankey...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... per-league
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm

This is essentially based on finding teams to match up with the PAC leftovers. I wouldn't take it as an insult to Tulane and its also just another clown spouting his own opinion to get clicks.
And surprise surprise, a western clown at that. A journalistic "heavy" based in Bozeman Montana. :thumbdown2:
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:18 am
winwave wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 am

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
Hero Sports? Seriously?
You are judging by the “hero” in the name I’m sure.
But it’s a BetMGM property which is the exclusive sports betting division of MGM. MGM has a market cap of $14 billion so yes seriously.
Not taking that seriously.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
We were never at the top of the list as some claim. We're still not. Sad but true. Though I don't think all of the teams on the hero sports list are ahead of us.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 am
We were never at the top of the list as some claim. We're still not. Sad but true. Though I don't think all of the teams on the hero sports list are ahead of us.
There is no one school that his head and shoulders above the rest. As for that list, most of those schools are clearly a better fit than us for creating a conference that is geographically west coast oriented, but that's about it. There is no certainty that a conference like that will ever happen again.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 am
There is no one school that his head and shoulders above the rest. As for that list, most of those schools are clearly a better fit than us for creating a conference that is geographically west coast oriented, but that's about it. There is no certainty that a conference like that will ever happen again.
But if any conference like that does rise from the ashes, it would be making a huge mistake not to include the CTZ in its footprint.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Update. Talk’s definitely talking place. The public vote was close but in favor of a playoff 53/47.
https://theathletic.com/5459307/2024/04 ... ed_article
Multiple administrators told The Athletic that while nothing is imminent, conversations about a separate playoff within the G5 are happening. The idea has gained traction ever since the Big Ten and SEC reshaped the new CFP contract to grant themselves far more revenue while payouts to the G5 will be relatively unchanged (around $1.8 million per G5 school).
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 pm You're just wrong on this. No one has interest in a G5 playoff. They'll be no big money TV contract for the teams involved. It ill be just like the minor bowl games- only their fans watching.
I can't believe this, but I agree with winwave. Think about it. If they couldn't get money together in a deal for a conference made up of USC, UCLA, WA, OR, OSU, AZ, ASU, etc, there's no way there's going to be decent money to televise a playoff involving Tulane, App St, James Madison, Southern Miss, Toledo and Boise St.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:56 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 pm You're just wrong on this. No one has interest in a G5 playoff. They'll be no big money TV contract for the teams involved. It ill be just like the minor bowl games- only their fans watching.
I can't believe this, but I agree with winwave. Think about it. If they couldn't get money together in a deal for a conference made up of USC, UCLA, WA, OR, OSU, AZ, ASU, etc, there's no way there's going to be decent money to televise a playoff involving Tulane, App St, James Madison, Southern Miss, Toledo and Boise St.
Right but it’s going to happen anyway. Tulane needs to be proactive to get out before this happens.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:15 am
Right but it’s going to happen anyway. Tulane needs to be proactive to get out before this happens.
Not so sure it happens but everyone knows we need to get out ASAP. The conversation has been about you claiming the G5's would get a lot more money doing this and others pointing out there isn't anyone that's going to be willing to pay big money to show this.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 am

Not so sure it happens but everyone knows we need to get out ASAP. The conversation has been about you claiming the G5's would get a lot more money doing this and others pointing out there isn't anyone that's going to be willing to pay big money to show this.
I said more money not a lot more. As you can see we didn’t get a raise on the next contract. Big Ten and SEC reshaped the new CFP contract to grant themselves far more revenue while payouts to the G5 will be relatively unchanged (around $1.8 million) per G5 school. So that’s why the G5 playoff talk has started. I’m just reporting and predicting here nothing more.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't think it's inevitable. The "public vote" quoted above in the thread is misleading. I'll bet 99% of the fans who voted for the G5 playoff are hardcore fans of a P5 program. I've yet to talk to any fan or administrator of G5 that supports this. I also believe that while they may listen to investment bankers because that's their job, most G5 ADs and administrators recognize that a G5 playoff forever separates the "haves" from the "have nots".

And to the point made above about money driving this, it would need to be about $200 million/year for the playoff to generate more for the member schools than the current FBS playoff. What happens if the investment bankers sign the G5 schools to say a 5 year contract for $1 billion but lose money? Where are the G5 schools if they shut it down?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:50 am
winwave wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 am
I said more money not a lot more. As you can see we didn’t get a raise on the next contract. Big Ten and SEC reshaped the new CFP contract to grant themselves far more revenue while payouts to the G5 will be relatively unchanged (around $1.8 million) per G5 school. So that’s why the G5 playoff talk has started. I’m just reporting and predicting here nothing more.
And as I and others have pointed out the chance for more money through that route os preety much zero. Plus it will cause a loss of interest by the G5 fan bases leading to loss of revenue from less ticket sales and athletic fund donations.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’ll bet anyone here it happens going forward. A blind man can see this coming from miles away. Yes I hate it that’s why I’m screaming loudly now so we can get out before it happens. There are only a handful of schools that have a decent chance to move up to a Power Conf and they are busy doing all they can now. The majority of G5’s have absolutely zero chance that’s why I think this ends up happening. NIT for football.
There’s zero interest now for G5 bowl games. A playoff scenario like it or not will bring more eyeballs. At least for the final 4 and championship game. Aresco got out before this happens as well. The new CUSACC commissioner is open to the idea.

New CFP contract

Big Ten and SEC schools will each be making more than $21 million annually. ACC schools will get more than $13 million annually, while Big 12 schools will get more than $12 million annually. G5 will get around $1.8 million.

So if SMU makes the playoff they get $13 million but if Tulane makes the same playoff it gets $1.8 million. Houston will get $12 million. That’s it in a nutshell. That’s why G5 status is awful. They throwing you crumbs.

IMO all teams that make the playoff should receive equal compensation. And each round you advance should pay equal as well. Just like the NCAA basketball tournament does.
Tulane Class of 1981
chigoyboy
Ripple

This is why SMU took the deal they did. Lots of people laughed at them BUT they are IN at the moment. Sure things can change and the SEC and B10 can still split off and leave everyone else behind but as of now, it worked.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I believe the money is being split amongst all schools in the conference, not just for playoff teams. I'm sure there will be financial rewards for making the playoff, but I'm also not sure how the money is divided. And some of the articles I've read contradict each other on this.

People that laughed at SMU don't realize that the University didn't give up the ACC money, the University is being made whole by their alumni. SMU is laughing all the way to the bank. And well past the bank, too as they're out of the $hithole we're stuck in.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am I believe the money is being split amongst all schools in the conference, not just for playoff teams. I'm sure there will be financial rewards for making the playoff, but I'm also not sure how the money is divided. And some of the articles I've read contradict each other on this.

People that laughed at SMU don't realize that the University didn't give up the ACC money, the University is being made whole by their alumni. SMU is laughing all the way to the bank. And well past the bank, too as they're out of the $hithole we're stuck in.
Yes a split. I found this for the upcoming playoff:
Teams will earn between $3-5 million each for participation and advancing in the playoff. Considering the distribution percentages, SEC teams will earn as much as $23 million annually, Big Ten $21 million, ACC around $13.7 million and Big 12 around $12.3 million.Mar 8, 2024. Still bad for G5.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes we definitely had some idiots on our sites, especially Baywave, carrying on how stupid SMU was. As I posted there and here the SMU alums and fans were putting up what they would be foregoing in TV revenue. They also get the NCAA post season portion of money which IIRC came to around $15 million itself which was a hell of a lot more than what they were getting from CUSAAC. They have always had the want to and the deep pocketed alums who are willing to step up. Not so for Tulane. But as for the breakoff to a G5 playoff the validity of that poll is extremely doubtful. So anything is possible but the acceptance of that step down will be a deal breaker for many fans. And if it does happen it will be because the SEC and Big 10 finally got their way and kicked the G5's to the curb. So we have to hope that the threat of an anti-trust suit keeps us in the CFP.