G5 Playoff Only. Looks like they are finally giving in

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Who wants it to happen? I haven't seen a single AD or University President other than the guy from Northern Illinios (that G5 juggernaut) say they're in favor of this.

I'm not renewing season tickets because I think the schedule sucks. I don't have any desire to go to a game versus K-State (whom I'm barely excited to see anyway) in the New Orleans heat in September after the school lays down to ESPN and starts the game at Noon or some other foolish time. But if the G5 playoff goes through I will have purchased my last ticket to ANY G5 sporting event. And I'm sure there's a few hundred thousand fans like me that likewise won't spend a penny to see programs that gave up.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:46 am Who wants it to happen? I haven't seen a single AD or University President other than the guy from Northern Illinios (that G5 juggernaut) say they're in favor of this.

I'm not renewing season tickets because I think the schedule sucks. I don't have any desire to go to a game versus K-State (whom I'm barely excited to see anyway) in the New Orleans heat in September after the school lays down to ESPN and starts the game at Noon or some other foolish time. But if the G5 playoff goes through I will have purchased my last ticket to ANY G5 sporting event. And I'm sure there's a few hundred thousand fans like me that likewise won't spend a penny to see programs that gave up.
Everyone either agrees or is sympathetic to your take, but, given the incoming conference media (TV) contracts and the just finalized CFP contract, it would appear that fighting the good fight may be a losing endeavor. It seems increasing likely that there will be revenue sharing by the P2 with their athletes at some point, and there is no way that the Big 12 or ACC could seriously compete with the P2 in that area that given the go-forward annual financial disparity - let alone the G5.

What's the endgame for Tulane then? My guess is that it would look like joining the ACC for a few years after the ACC loses its most valuable 4-10 teams to other conferences (P2 get first pick, then maybe Big 12) but before revenue sharing with athletes begins - i.e. once the ACC is essentially the next equivalent football Big East/pre-realignment AAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:46 am Who wants it to happen? I haven't seen a single AD or University President other than the guy from Northern Illinios (that G5 juggernaut) say they're in favor of this.

I agree. But if they are able to make more money breaking off with their own playoff it will happen. This is the sad thing. Commissioners, AD’s, TV exec’s, Coaches and College Presidents come and go but we as alums and fans are lifers and basically have no say so in any of this. Look at what happened with the new CUSAAC. We had no say so in it. Money dictates the future and nothing else matters.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 am How come no administrators are named? Perhaps because this didn't happen. If it did, it took place with the shroud of silence because few, if any fans of G5 programs want anything to do with a G5 playoff. I think a lot of the article is made up. Lines are drawn and conclusions made that do not exist. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I've yet to find an administrator or fan of a G5 program that thinks this is a good idea. Perhaps the moneymen planted this seed.? I'm not buying it at all, too many folks that matter do not want it to happen. The article is filled with speculation and jumps to conclusions about meetings that were not related and discussions that isolated are being linked as if it is a movement more than an investment bankers pipedream. If the Northern Illinois AD is the only one named in the article, you have to ask if he's a lone wolf. I don't think there's support for this from any corner other than the PEEs.

In short, I think the article is full of crap and nothing more than clickbait.
Agreed. Unfortunately this is what the athletic is coming to with these type of articles.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 am
Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am Why did Mike Aresco retire and why is the new AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti for this? Aresco retired because he had no say so in the last reshuffle. ESPN forced his hand. So is Pernetti an ESPN plant?
ESPN will benefit from a G5 playoff at the expense of a handful of top G5 schools. The bottom feeders vastly outnumber the few that really only have a small chance of making the P4 playoff so yes this will eventually happen. Tulane needs to immediately start its exit strategy.
Very worrisome. As was previously pointed out the majority of the current G5 schools have an extremely small chance to make the current playoff. A 12-16 team G5 playoff would give them an opportunity. I’ve seen this here in Louisiana high schools. The non-select split off from the select in order for their members to have their own playoff. Now it’s impossible for the two divisions to ever go back since it has doubled the teams making the playoffs and having a shot at winning its own championship.

The G5 splits 9% of the annual $1.3 billion deal with ESPN. The G5 percentage has decreased from 22% in the prior deal (2014-23) and will continue to do so in the future. If they can make more money having their own playoff they will. It will all come down to money as it always does.
As to the HS split here it could go back together. A lot of schools making the playoffs have no business being there and they make long treks across the state just to get slaughtered. So they'd be happy not to have made the playoffs. The hold up will be the animosity towards the Curtis' of the world that have private schools that only exist for athletics and violate the recruiting rules. That's what prompted it and that's what keeps iot apart.

As to a G5 playoff I can't see it making more money. There's simply no interest in a second division playoff. Only the fans of the teams playing will be interested. Plus they have to remember if they take that plunge season ticket sales will dwindle as will donations to athletics.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

+1. The only way I'd buy season tickets in that scenario is if the prices went down and there were no mandatory GWC fees. And I'm not even sure I would do it then.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:07 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 am
Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am Why did Mike Aresco retire and why is the new AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti for this? Aresco retired because he had no say so in the last reshuffle. ESPN forced his hand. So is Pernetti an ESPN plant?
ESPN will benefit from a G5 playoff at the expense of a handful of top G5 schools. The bottom feeders vastly outnumber the few that really only have a small chance of making the P4 playoff so yes this will eventually happen. Tulane needs to immediately start its exit strategy.
Very worrisome. As was previously pointed out the majority of the current G5 schools have an extremely small chance to make the current playoff. A 12-16 team G5 playoff would give them an opportunity. I’ve seen this here in Louisiana high schools. The non-select split off from the select in order for their members to have their own playoff. Now it’s impossible for the two divisions to ever go back since it has doubled the teams making the playoffs and having a shot at winning its own championship.

The G5 splits 9% of the annual $1.3 billion deal with ESPN. The G5 percentage has decreased from 22% in the prior deal (2014-23) and will continue to do so in the future. If they can make more money having their own playoff they will. It will all come down to money as it always does.
As to the HS split here it could go back together. A lot of schools making the playoffs have no business being there and they make long treks across the state just to get slaughtered. So they'd be happy not to have made the playoffs. The hold up will be the animosity towards the Curtis' of the world that have private schools that only exist for athletics and violate the recruiting rules. That's what prompted it and that's what keeps iot apart.

As to a G5 playoff I can't see it making more money. There's simply no interest in a second division playoff. Only the fans of the teams playing will be interested. Plus they have to remember if they take that plunge season ticket sales will dwindle as will donations to athletics.
Donations in general will dwindle.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
arkhou02
Surge

It will never happen to Tulane
anEngineer
Riptide

Stop panicking over something that hasn't happened and isn't imminent.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one is panicking. We are just discussing our feelings on the potential change and what it would mean to us if it in fact happened. It's why fan forums exist.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm Stop panicking over something that hasn't happened and isn't imminent.
You have the new AAC commissioner on record saying otherwise. Aresco would have flat out rejected this BS.
As much as I dislike Cowen and RD they got us out of CUSA. Now it’s time Fitts and Harris get us out of CUSACC ASAP.
Aresco will retire in less than two months, and his replacement Tim Pernetti earlier this month referenced the possibility of ‘maverick postseason models’ and was open to the conference getting involved with private equity.”
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge

The commissioner can say all he wants, but the majority of teams in the AAC will never go for it. Antitrust and the decrease in revenue make this an easy decision.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:40 pm The commissioner can say all he wants, but the majority of teams in the AAC will never go for it. Antitrust and the decrease in revenue make this an easy decision.
How is it antitrust if they go on their own?
The playoffs will be similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. This will be additional revenue instead of going to bowl games. Nobody watches minor bowl games anymore but people will watch a playoff game.
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge

There will be plenty of schools who will stay where they are and those schools will still be eligible for the 12th spot. It will never happen to the schools that don’t want to be part of this G5 playoff gimmick. Those schools who stay where they are will utilize antitrust if required. Tulane has nothing to worry about.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 pm There will be plenty of schools who will stay where they are and those schools will still be eligible for the 12th spot. It will never happen to the schools that don’t want to be part of this G5 playoff gimmick. Those schools who stay where they are will utilize antitrust if required. Tulane has nothing to worry about.
So is Tulane ready and able to pay players like the Power conferences will? That’s why the antitrust won’t be applicable. The Big 10 and SEC are going to have their own rules. Maybe the other Power conferences are able to comply. I’m thinking that’s where this is headed. Slowly but surely this is happening while we sit still. TCU, UH,UCF, Cincinnati and now SMU have all made the move. I can remember the days we dominated all those schools but perhaps Houston. Hopefully our new commissioner changes his thinking about this.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:08 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:40 pm The commissioner can say all he wants, but the majority of teams in the AAC will never go for it. Antitrust and the decrease in revenue make this an easy decision.
The playoffs will be similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. This will be additional revenue instead of going to bowl games. Nobody watches minor bowl games anymore but people will watch a playoff game.
Sorry but nobody but hose teams fans will watch a G5 playoff game. There won't be any big money offer for such a playoff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:17 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:08 pm
Sorry but nobody but hose teams fans will watch a G5 playoff game. There won't be any big money offer for such a playoff.
You’ll have fans watching the playoffs if their team makes it in. Nobody is watching those bowl games now. At least there’s a chance you’ll watch the playoffs knowing you may play them at some point.
I’m not for Tulane going this route but I’m sure the playoff money will be bigger than the bowl game payouts. As you advance you’ll get more money just like the NCAA basketball tournament does. Outside of one NY6 bowl the rest of the G5 schools currently get the crappy bowls that nobody watches. It’s going to happen I just hope Tulane figures out a way out of CUSACC before it does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're just wrong on this. No one has interest in a G5 playoff. They'll be no big money TV contract for the teams involved. It ill be just like the minor bowl games- only their fans watching.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 pm You're just wrong on this. No one has interest in a G5 playoff. They'll be no big money TV contract for the teams involved. It ill be just like the minor bowl games- only their fans watching.
Not saying that it’s big money. It will be more money is all I’m saying. I’m sure it will happen at some point
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It won't be more money than they get from the CFP. There's simply no interest. Hell even we aren't interested.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 pm It won't be more money than they get from the CFP. There's simply no interest. Hell even we aren't interested.
I’m only interested in Tulane getting out of CUSACC before this is a reality.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 pm There will be plenty of schools who will stay where they are and those schools will still be eligible for the 12th spot. It will never happen to the schools that don’t want to be part of this G5 playoff gimmick. Those schools who stay where they are will utilize antitrust if required. Tulane has nothing to worry about.
Top 7 G5 schools most likely to move out. Tulane didn’t get a mention.

https://herosports.com/fbs-g5-power-fiv ... eams-cpcp/

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 am
winwave wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 pm It won't be more money than they get from the CFP. There's simply no interest. Hell even we aren't interested.
I’m only interested in Tulane getting out of CUSACC before this is a reality.
That's all any of us our interested in. None of us have any interest either in a G5 playoff and neither do college football fans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 am

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
Hero Sports? Seriously?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 am

1 San Diego State
2 UNLV
3 Memphis
4 South Florida
5 Boise State
6 Colorado State
7 Fresno State
Hero Sports? Seriously?
You are judging by the “hero” in the name I’m sure.
But it’s a BetMGM property which is the exclusive sports betting division of MGM. MGM has a market cap of $14 billion so yes seriously.
Tulane Class of 1981