G5 Playoff Only. Looks like they are finally giving in

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sad times folks. At College Football Playoff spring meetings Tuesday, AAC commissioner Mike Aresco dismissed the idea of the G5 doing its own thing. That’s probably why he’s now retiring. The new commissioner is in favor of this BS. “It would separate us from the big guys in the CFP, and that would be bad,” Aresco said. “It’s what I’ve always feared, that we’d be in a different division.”

But Aresco will retire in less than two months, and his replacement Tim Pernetti earlier this month referenced the possibility of “maverick postseason models” and was open to the conference getting involved with private equity.

https://theathletic.com/5439967/2024/04 ... ed_article
Group of 5 administrators have had preliminary discussions in recent months about a G5-only postseason playoff or even wide-scale G5 realignment with the involvement of private equity.

Multiple administrators from within the G5 conferences — the American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, MAC and Conference USA — told The Athletic that former college and NFL coach Derek Dooley has been the salesman on behalf of private equity firms, making contact with schools.

“We’re taking some leadership here to control our own destiny so that Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey don’t make that decision for us,” said one G5 athletic director.

Details of the plans under discussion vary. Some administrators like a smaller-scale idea of creating their own postseason to replace bowl games.


Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

The vast majority of G5s would never have a chance of being invited to move up. There are probably about 10-15 that would ever be considered and fortunately, we are prominent on that list. Perhaps this helps that movement happen sooner, especially with the word that Wash St and Oregan St are now essentially G5.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 am The vast majority of G5s would never have a chance of being invited to move up. There are probably about 10-15 that would ever be considered and fortunately, we are prominent on that list. Perhaps this helps that movement happen sooner, especially with the word that Wash St and Oregan St are now essentially G5.
We’re not doing enough to move up. Once this idea takes root it will be too late. Tulane has never been pro-active in athletics and is always playing from behind. A blind man could see this G5 only playoff coming years ago. Tulane has always played catch-up even in our own Conf. See the new AAC conference. You’d think we’d move up in most sports since the new teams have been added but in fact we’ve slipped IMO.
Just look at the teams that got out ahead of us over the years TCU, SMU, UH, UCF and Cincinnati. I’m willing to bet that Memphis gets out next and not us.
I think that’s why Aresco bailed out as commissioner he didn’t want the AAC to agree to this.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 am The vast majority of G5s would never have a chance of being invited to move up. There are probably about 10-15 that would ever be considered and fortunately, we are prominent on that list. Perhaps this helps that movement happen sooner, especially with the word that Wash St and Oregan St are now essentially G5.
While I want nothing to do with a G5 playoff, I'm also concerned in the short term that the current playoff may be shutting out the incumbent G5. I don't find the ruling that the PAC is essentially a 2 team conference whose champion is eligible for the G5 slot a positive.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am We’re not doing enough to move up. Once this idea takes root it will be too late. Tulane has never been pro-active in athletics and is always playing from behind. A blind man could see this G5 only playoff coming years ago. Tulane has always played catch-up even in our own Conf. See the new AAC conference. You’d think we’d move up in most sports since the new teams have been added but in fact we’ve slipped IMO.
Just look at the teams that got out ahead of us over the years TCU, SMU, UH, UCF and Cincinnati. I’m willing to bet that Memphis gets out next and not us.
I think that’s why Aresco bailed out as commissioner he didn’t want the AAC to agree to this.
Exactly how I feel. Playing catch-up means we're going to get left behind.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

This will be the NIT of Football for most fans.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25574
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Absolutely want nothing to do with that. We are going to miss Aresco.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 am Absolutely want nothing to do with that. we are going to miss Aresco.
Exactly. I think that’s why he got out.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

This playoff setup will absolutely happen at some point. It’s now or never for Tulane to make the commitment to move up. The lack of action from the Cotton Bowl win speaks volumes to many.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 am This playoff setup will absolutely happen at some point. It’s now or never for Tulane to make the commitment to move up. The lack of action from the Cotton Bowl win speaks volumes to many.
And folks were telling me to be patient when I pointed this out in the months immediately following the Cotton Bowl. We were stuck in neutral, doing what Tulane does best, shooting itself in the foot.

The Big 12 gave us a blueprint in 2012. We didn't follow it, and were further rather than closer to an invite in 2022 as a result. It's been close to 60 years of horrible decision-making, with the last 30 equally as bad as the previous 30.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Anti-trust will not allow them to exclude. If the G5 wants it own playoff, numerous G5 schools will object and spin-off into some type of hybrid. Remember, the reason we have a designated spot in the CFP is solely due to anti-trust.
User avatar
AugWave
Swell
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm
Location: ATL via New Orleans
Status: Offline

This is awful and I'm praying it never happens. It will be the true death of college football.

The funny part is the majority of people that are saying it's a good idea are those who follow middle of the road "P5" programs that will eventually get kicked out OR receive a mere fraction of what the big boys are getting.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25574
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:15 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 am This playoff setup will absolutely happen at some point. It’s now or never for Tulane to make the commitment to move up. The lack of action from the Cotton Bowl win speaks volumes to many.
And folks were telling me to be patient when I pointed this out in the months immediately following the Cotton Bowl. We were stuck in neutral, doing what Tulane does best, shooting itself in the foot.

The Big 12 gave us a blueprint in 2012. We didn't follow it, and were further rather than closer to an invite in 2022 as a result. It's been close to 60 years of horrible decision-making, with the last 30 equally as bad as the previous 30.
Actually we are now in year 75 of the unbelievably bad decision making. Rufus started it with de-emphasis in 1949. Yet we still have idiots that can only hear all is well all the time with Tulane athletics. Only at Tulane.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:15 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 am This playoff setup will absolutely happen at some point. It’s now or never for Tulane to make the commitment to move up. The lack of action from the Cotton Bowl win speaks volumes to many.
And folks were telling me to be patient when I pointed this out in the months immediately following the Cotton Bowl. We were stuck in neutral, doing what Tulane does best, shooting itself in the foot.

The Big 12 gave us a blueprint in 2012. We didn't follow it, and were further rather than closer to an invite in 2022 as a result. It's been close to 60 years of horrible decision-making, with the last 30 equally as bad as the previous 30.
IMHO, Tulane had a better shot at getting an invite before FOX/ESPN/CBS/etc. became the decision makers, as, despite how things are presented to the public, the media partners are dictating everything and not the conferences. That results in the million-dollar question being: will those media partners pay the Big 12 or ACC another share for expanding with Tulane, and, if not, is it even possible for Tulane to either earn or invest its way to those media partners agreeing to do so?

Only time will tell.
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 am The vast majority of G5s would never have a chance of being invited to move up. There are probably about 10-15 that would ever be considered and fortunately, we are prominent on that list. Perhaps this helps that movement happen sooner, especially with the word that Wash St and Oregan St are now essentially G5.
We’re not doing enough to move up. Once this idea takes root it will be too late. Tulane has never been pro-active in athletics and is always playing from behind. A blind man could see this G5 only playoff coming years ago. Tulane has always played catch-up even in our own Conf. See the new AAC conference. You’d think we’d move up in most sports since the new teams have been added but in fact we’ve slipped IMO.
Just look at the teams that got out ahead of us over the years TCU, SMU, UH, UCF and Cincinnati. I’m willing to bet that Memphis gets out next and not us.
I think that’s why Aresco bailed out as commissioner he didn’t want the AAC to agree to this.
OK, you can complain about what we haven't done in the past, thats fair,, but you say we're not doing enough now. Like specifically, what? We are building an IPF in a couple of months. Some complain about the size, but it's going to exist. We announced the Performance Center that gets us major football space we need and meet Title IX locker room requirements. We are updating the Wilson Center right now to give us more efficient use of the space we have. What specifically do you think should be done to make Ps take us that were not already trying?
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:17 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 am The vast majority of G5s would never have a chance of being invited to move up. There are probably about 10-15 that would ever be considered and fortunately, we are prominent on that list. Perhaps this helps that movement happen sooner, especially with the word that Wash St and Oregan St are now essentially G5.
We’re not doing enough to move up. Once this idea takes root it will be too late. Tulane has never been pro-active in athletics and is always playing from behind. A blind man could see this G5 only playoff coming years ago. Tulane has always played catch-up even in our own Conf. See the new AAC conference. You’d think we’d move up in most sports since the new teams have been added but in fact we’ve slipped IMO.
Just look at the teams that got out ahead of us over the years TCU, SMU, UH, UCF and Cincinnati. I’m willing to bet that Memphis gets out next and not us.
I think that’s why Aresco bailed out as commissioner he didn’t want the AAC to agree to this.
OK, you can complain about what we haven't done in the past, thats fair,, but you say we're not doing enough now. Like specifically, what? We are building an IPF in a couple of months. Some complain about the size, but it's going to exist. We announced the Performance Center that gets us major football space we need and meet Title IX locker room requirements. We are updating the Wilson Center right now to give us more efficient use of the space we have. What specifically do you think should be done to make Ps take us that were not already trying?
Too little too late. Our best chance came and went I believe right after the Cotton Bowl win. People said all we had to do was win but apparently that’s not good enough now. I applaud SMU for doing what they had to do to get in the P5. I just wouldn’t be much invested if we decide to stay G5 and have a separate playoff. NIT for football.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Will never happen with anti-trust.
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7593
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:17 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 am The vast majority of G5s would never have a chance of being invited to move up. There are probably about 10-15 that would ever be considered and fortunately, we are prominent on that list. Perhaps this helps that movement happen sooner, especially with the word that Wash St and Oregan St are now essentially G5.
We’re not doing enough to move up. Once this idea takes root it will be too late. Tulane has never been pro-active in athletics and is always playing from behind. A blind man could see this G5 only playoff coming years ago. Tulane has always played catch-up even in our own Conf. See the new AAC conference. You’d think we’d move up in most sports since the new teams have been added but in fact we’ve slipped IMO.
Just look at the teams that got out ahead of us over the years TCU, SMU, UH, UCF and Cincinnati. I’m willing to bet that Memphis gets out next and not us.
I think that’s why Aresco bailed out as commissioner he didn’t want the AAC to agree to this.
OK, you can complain about what we haven't done in the past, thats fair,, but you say we're not doing enough now. Like specifically, what? We are building an IPF in a couple of months. Some complain about the size, but it's going to exist. We announced the Performance Center that gets us major football space we need and meet Title IX locker room requirements. We are updating the Wilson Center right now to give us more efficient use of the space we have. What specifically do you think should be done to make Ps take us that were not already trying?
Why don't we make the hard decisions and actually build an IPF, rather than just blowing up a balloon. And add an Upper Westside Deck so Yulman can look like an actual stadium rather than a listing and sinking ship. And most of all, fire incompetent and failed coaches much sooner.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25574
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:45 pm
anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:17 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am
We’re not doing enough to move up. Once this idea takes root it will be too late. Tulane has never been pro-active in athletics and is always playing from behind. A blind man could see this G5 only playoff coming years ago. Tulane has always played catch-up even in our own Conf. See the new AAC conference. You’d think we’d move up in most sports since the new teams have been added but in fact we’ve slipped IMO.
Just look at the teams that got out ahead of us over the years TCU, SMU, UH, UCF and Cincinnati. I’m willing to bet that Memphis gets out next and not us.
I think that’s why Aresco bailed out as commissioner he didn’t want the AAC to agree to this.
OK, you can complain about what we haven't done in the past, thats fair,, but you say we're not doing enough now. Like specifically, what? We are building an IPF in a couple of months. Some complain about the size, but it's going to exist. We announced the Performance Center that gets us major football space we need and meet Title IX locker room requirements. We are updating the Wilson Center right now to give us more efficient use of the space we have. What specifically do you think should be done to make Ps take us that were not already trying?
Too little too late. Our best chance came and went I believe right after the Cotton Bowl win. People said all we had to do was win but apparently that’s not good enough now. I applaud SMU for doing what they had to do to get in the P5. I just wouldn’t be much invested if we decide to stay G5 and have a separate playoff. NIT for football.
This. It is much too little too late. You build a permanent structure full field, 120 yards, indoor facility. not a short field bubble. You build a football operations center for football. Those are 100% football. This performance center is to mainly satisfy Title IX requirements. Those sports going in there didn't have any space or had very little space in Wilson so not creating a lot more space for football in Wilson. Everyone knows this is a critical juncture in college athletics. If we get left behind we are done. So just doing something isn't good enough. Not even close. It needed to be done right. That's not happening.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

What is Harris doing?
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 9933
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Covington, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 am Sad times folks. At College Football Playoff spring meetings Tuesday, AAC commissioner Mike Aresco dismissed the idea of the G5 doing its own thing. That’s probably why he’s now retiring. The new commissioner is in favor of this BS. “It would separate us from the big guys in the CFP, and that would be bad,” Aresco said. “It’s what I’ve always feared, that we’d be in a different division.”

But Aresco will retire in less than two months, and his replacement Tim Pernetti earlier this month referenced the possibility of “maverick postseason models” and was open to the conference getting involved with private equity.

https://theathletic.com/5439967/2024/04 ... ed_article
Group of 5 administrators have had preliminary discussions in recent months about a G5-only postseason playoff or even wide-scale G5 realignment with the involvement of private equity.

Multiple administrators from within the G5 conferences — the American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, MAC and Conference USA — told The Athletic that former college and NFL coach Derek Dooley has been the salesman on behalf of private equity firms, making contact with schools.

“We’re taking some leadership here to control our own destiny so that Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey don’t make that decision for us,” said one G5 athletic director.

Details of the plans under discussion vary. Some administrators like a smaller-scale idea of creating their own postseason to replace bowl games.

“We’re taking some leadership here to control our own destiny so that Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey don’t make that decision for us,” said one G5 athletic director.

Maybe they should have thought about that years ago and stood together as a voting block to keep the P5s from getting so much power? I mean we're all just average fans and WE KNEW this years ago.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25574
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 am Sad times folks. At College Football Playoff spring meetings Tuesday, AAC commissioner Mike Aresco dismissed the idea of the G5 doing its own thing. That’s probably why he’s now retiring. The new commissioner is in favor of this BS. “It would separate us from the big guys in the CFP, and that would be bad,” Aresco said. “It’s what I’ve always feared, that we’d be in a different division.”

But Aresco will retire in less than two months, and his replacement Tim Pernetti earlier this month referenced the possibility of “maverick postseason models” and was open to the conference getting involved with private equity.

https://theathletic.com/5439967/2024/04 ... ed_article
Group of 5 administrators have had preliminary discussions in recent months about a G5-only postseason playoff or even wide-scale G5 realignment with the involvement of private equity.

Multiple administrators from within the G5 conferences — the American, Sun Belt, Mountain West, MAC and Conference USA — told The Athletic that former college and NFL coach Derek Dooley has been the salesman on behalf of private equity firms, making contact with schools.

“We’re taking some leadership here to control our own destiny so that Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey don’t make that decision for us,” said one G5 athletic director.

Details of the plans under discussion vary. Some administrators like a smaller-scale idea of creating their own postseason to replace bowl games.

“We’re taking some leadership here to control our own destiny so that Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey don’t make that decision for us,” said one G5 athletic director.

Maybe they should have thought about that years ago and stood together as a voting block to keep the P5s from getting so much power? I mean we're all just average fans and WE KNEW this years ago.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

How come no administrators are named? Perhaps because this didn't happen. If it did, it took place with the shroud of silence because few, if any fans of G5 programs want anything to do with a G5 playoff. I think a lot of the article is made up. Lines are drawn and conclusions made that do not exist. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I've yet to find an administrator or fan of a G5 program that thinks this is a good idea. Perhaps the moneymen planted this seed.? I'm not buying it at all, too many folks that matter do not want it to happen. The article is filled with speculation and jumps to conclusions about meetings that were not related and discussions that isolated are being linked as if it is a movement more than an investment bankers pipedream. If the Northern Illinois AD is the only one named in the article, you have to ask if he's a lone wolf. I don't think there's support for this from any corner other than the PEEs.

In short, I think the article is full of crap and nothing more than clickbait.
Last edited by DfromCT on Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5133
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Why did Mike Aresco retire and why is the new AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti for this? Aresco retired because he had no say so in the last reshuffle. ESPN forced his hand. So is Pernetti an ESPN plant?
ESPN will benefit from a G5 playoff at the expense of a handful of top G5 schools. The bottom feeders vastly outnumber the few that really only have a small chance of making the P4 playoff so yes this will eventually happen. Tulane needs to immediately start its exit strategy.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am Why did Mike Aresco retire and why is the new AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti for this? Aresco retired because he had no say so in the last reshuffle. ESPN forced his hand. So is Pernetti an ESPN plant?
ESPN will benefit from a G5 playoff at the expense of a handful of top G5 schools. The bottom feeders vastly outnumber the few that really only have a small chance of making the P4 playoff so yes this will eventually happen. Tulane needs to immediately start its exit strategy.
Very worrisome. As was previously pointed out the majority of the current G5 schools have an extremely small chance to make the current playoff. A 12-16 team G5 playoff would give them an opportunity. I’ve seen this here in Louisiana high schools. The non-select split off from the select in order for their members to have their own playoff. Now it’s impossible for the two divisions to ever go back since it has doubled the teams making the playoffs and having a shot at winning its own championship.

The G5 splits 9% of the annual $1.3 billion deal with ESPN. The G5 percentage has decreased from 22% in the prior deal (2014-23) and will continue to do so in the future. If they can make more money having their own playoff they will. It will all come down to money as it always does.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Post Reply