NCAA rules remains from PAC-12 now equal to Group of 5

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

As many have expected. Going forward they will compete with Tulane and other G5’s for a playoff spot.
https://theathletic.com/5437109/2024/04 ... ed_article
The Pac-12 Conference, which will drop down to two members this summer, will no longer be an “autonomous conference,” the NCAA Division I Board of Directors determined on Monday, effective Aug. 2. It will instead be classified as a “nonautonomous FBS conference” like the Group of 5.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Outsiders, great movie...and how they became an outsider...and for some, an Conference name history lesson, because not all conferences, at one time, had "big" in their name and some of their original members will surprise many
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... eft-behind
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 am The Outsiders, great movie...and how they became an outsider...and for some, an Conference name history lesson, because not all conferences, at one time, had "big" in their name and some of their original members will surprise many
When FSU, Clemson and whomever else leave the ACC will follow a similar path of the Pac-12.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:56 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 am The Outsiders, great movie...and how they became an outsider...and for some, an Conference name history lesson, because not all conferences, at one time, had "big" in their name and some of their original members will surprise many
When FSU, Clemson and whomever else leave the ACC will follow a similar path of the Pac-12.
IF, fsu, clemson and anyone else can get out of their media rights contract with the ACC, and that is one hell of a BIG IF ..... I will be playin a huge golf event this Friday filled with UT, Tex A&M and OU types...I am sure the gossip / rummahs will be flyin'....if anything of interest is said, I will let ya know
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
arkhou02
Surge

golfnut, ask them if they are hearing anything about Tulane.
anEngineer
Riptide

arkhou02 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:34 pm golfnut, ask them if they are hearing anything about Tulane.
I can't imagine there are any rumors going around about Tulane with those schools. Have a good round, golf. The thing the makes the most ultimate sense is 4 conferences of 20 each. That makes 80 and should put us in good position.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:41 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:34 pm golfnut, ask them if they are hearing anything about Tulane.
I can't imagine there are any rumors going around about Tulane with those schools. Have a good round, golf. The thing the makes the most ultimate sense is 4 conferences of 20 each. That makes 80 and should put us in good position.
I doubt Tulane will get a mention, but I am sure the unrest of the ACC will come up and the destination of those ACC schools leaving will be discussed...the SEC, the Big10....but 4 conferences with 80 total teams makes sense as does 5 conferences with 75 teams, 15 each and an odd number for conference voting issues....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What I think makes sense is 4 conferences with 16 teams each. I've been saying this for 15-20 years. It probably leaves Tulane on the outside looking in.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
arkhou02
Surge

I think we make the field of 64. It would be a crime not to include us.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:21 pm What I think makes sense is 4 conferences with 16 teams each. I've been saying this for 15-20 years. It probably leaves Tulane on the outside looking in.
They already have more than 64 P teams. Are you thinking they are kicking some out? I don't see that happening.
arkhou02
Surge

There are currently 63 P teams playing baseball. How many P teams don’t play D1 baseball? I can only think of Wisconsin and friggen SMU. What about Syracuse?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:42 pm There are currently 63 P teams playing baseball. How many P teams don’t play D1 baseball? I can only think of Wisconsin and friggen SMU. What about Syracuse?
SMU, Colorado State, Boise State, Colorado, Idaho, Idaho State, Marquette, Tulsa, Temple, Wyoming, South Dakota, Syracuse, North Texas, Iowa State, Idaho, Idaho State, Utah State,
there are many more, here is the full list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... ball_teams
arkhou02
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:24 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:42 pm There are currently 63 P teams playing baseball. How many P teams don’t play D1 baseball? I can only think of Wisconsin and friggen SMU. What about Syracuse?
SMU, Colorado State, Boise State, Colorado, Idaho, Idaho State, Marquette, Tulsa, Temple, Wyoming, South Dakota, Syracuse, North Texas, Iowa State, Idaho, Idaho State, Utah State,
I said I was asking for “P” teams only. Of course, I know those schools don’t play baseball, but I could care less about the G5 schools.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

arkhou02 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:24 pm
I said I was asking for “P” teams only. Of course, I know those schools don’t play baseball, but I could care less about the G5 schools.
Cuse, SMU, Iowa State, Wisconsin and Colorado.
Tmk.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:50 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:21 pm What I think makes sense is 4 conferences with 16 teams each. I've been saying this for 15-20 years. It probably leaves Tulane on the outside looking in.
They already have more than 64 P teams. Are you thinking they are kicking some out? I don't see that happening.
Yes, I think there's a distinct possibility that the bottom feeders like Rutgers, Vanderbilt, etc could lose their P status. And certainly the newbies such as Cinci, SMU and Houston could be in jeopardy. But then again, what makes sense and what gets done are not always the same thing. There's probably 25-30 programs that would carry the other 35-40 and who knows how long it would take for those to wish to separate. If you went to 80 teams, that 2nd split would be sooner than later.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 am
Yes, I think there's a distinct possibility that the bottom feeders like Rutgers, Vanderbilt, etc could lose their P status. And certainly the newbies such as Cinci, SMU and Houston could be in jeopardy. But then again, what makes sense and what gets done are not always the same thing. There's probably 25-30 programs that would carry the other 35-40 and who knows how long it would take for those to wish to separate. If you went to 80 teams, that 2nd split would be sooner than later.
TV markets now the biggest factor. We missed out when winning was the most important.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Green Wave

I don't see that happening either. But what I do think will happen is that the Vandy's and Rutgers will increasingly get cut back on the revenue sharing--to the point that whether you're a low-end P4 or a G5/6 won't matter much from an economic standpoint. Everyone will eventually only get to eat what they kill. Or stated alternatively, and more realistically, the football factories will say "I want everything that I kill."
Last edited by HoustonWave on Mon May 13, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:13 am

TV markets now the biggest factor. We missed out when winning was the most important.
I'm not buying that. I think ratings are MUCH more important than market size. I think market size was more important 5 to 10 years ago but conferences have learned from mistakes such as Rutgers, considered to be in the NYC market. Attendance and ratings now trump market size, IMHO.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:39 am

I'm not buying that. I think ratings are MUCH more important than market size. I think market size was more important 5 to 10 years ago but conferences have learned from mistakes such as Rutgers, considered to be in the NYC market. Attendance and ratings now trump market size, IMHO.
Yes. That’s a big part. But the conference teams can also benefit from the markets of their opponents.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 am

Yes. That’s a big part. But the conference teams can also benefit from the markets of their opponents.
That's what the B1G thought with Rutgers, and it didn't pan out. Michigan playing Rutgers draws no more viewers than Michigan playing Minnesota despite the TV market dwarfing the Twin Cities market.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:14 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 am

That's what the B1G thought with Rutgers, and it didn't pan out. Michigan playing Rutgers draws no more viewers than Michigan playing Minnesota despite the TV market dwarfing the Twin Cities market.
Rutgers sucks but they had solid TV ratings especially on CBS. They played Northwestern and almost 3 million tuned in. Ohio St almost 4 million.
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/all-the ... all-season
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Rutgers vs. Northwestern had 2.68 million viewers on the first Sunday of September without NFL competition. Ohio State at Rutgers drew 3.98 million viewers in early November, Those were the only two Rutgers games to get over 660K viewers despite being in the biggest TV market in the country. I'm not the only one who thinks the B1G overvalued Rutgers due to the TV market.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-979949.html
arkhou02
Surge

When we are given the chance, we will succeed. All we need is the invite. All our numbers will exceed what is forecasted. If Virginia or Duke was visiting us this past weekend in baseball or next fall in football, the numbers in the stands and TV will jump significantly. Kids want to play for us now. When we get the invite, we will be turning kids away. I will continue to think this way until I can’t.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 pm Rutgers vs. Northwestern had 2.68 million viewers on the first Sunday of September without NFL competition. Ohio State at Rutgers drew 3.98 million viewers in early November, Those were the only two Rutgers games to get over 660K viewers despite being in the biggest TV market in the country. I'm not the only one who thinks the B1G overvalued Rutgers due to the TV market.

All the other games were on the Big Ten network for which you have to subscribe to.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:42 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 pm Rutgers vs. Northwestern had 2.68 million viewers on the first Sunday of September without NFL competition. Ohio State at Rutgers drew 3.98 million viewers in early November, Those were the only two Rutgers games to get over 660K viewers despite being in the biggest TV market in the country. I'm not the only one who thinks the B1G overvalued Rutgers due to the TV market.

All the other games were on the Big Ten network for which you have to subscribe to.
Kind of like being on ESPN+. They only rated 2 games not on the subscription based network, which means they're not a top draw in the conference, far from it, despite being in the biggest TV market in the country. You made my point, Tim.