NCAA Avalanche players now want a piece of the $2 billion payout

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

https://theathletic.com/5406854/2024/04 ... ed_article
a class-action antitrust lawsuit regarding past NIL rights could cost the NCAA and its membership more than $5 billion.

“It’s clear that the NCAA is on the worst losing streak in sports since the Bills’ four Super Bowl losses. They are terrible at litigating,”

Universities are concerned employee status and compensation would bankrupt athletics departments. Paying athletes could force some departments to eliminate many non-revenue sports, which form the lifeblood of Olympic rosters.

“I think it’s either going to be some employment model or some other revenue-sharing model. Either way, athletes are going to be compensated outright in the next five years,” Harmon said. “What that looks like remains to be seen.”

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TerryD101
Low Tide

College sports will be ruined. This NIL and free agency is killing the amateurism and losing fans. You will kill probably 60% of athletic departments and those who survive will cut many sports.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TerryD101 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:38 pm College sports will be ruined. This NIL and free agency is killing the amateurism and losing fans. You will kill probably 60% of athletic departments and those who survive will cut many sports.
Yes. It’s basically pro sports without a salary cap and without a contract to hold you to.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bill proposed to protect NCAA, Conferences and Schools from litigation

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... otect-ncaa
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It’s happening. Unlimited scholarships as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... settlement
Athletic departments must now prepare for new line items that could balloon up to $30 million annually as the richest schools prepare to share upwards of $22 million in revenue with players while expanding roster sizes with unlimited scholarships, according to those documents.
Beyond the monetary figures and future revenue sharing, the settlement also further widens the gap between the four power conferences fueled by football revenue and the Group of Five conferences in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Power conferences are also expected to design a new governance structure to enforce rules that will be separate from its compatriots. The legislation is expected to provide unlimited scholarships while restructuring roster limits, which could cut down on the number of active football players but also allow programs to award more scholarships for sports like baseball, which has long been stuck on 11.7 scholarships to share with a team of nearly 40 players.
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge

It’s over for the Tulane’s of the world.
MicMan
Swell

Waiting to see the unintended consequences of this. Also from an agreement which does nothing to shield schools from antitrust suits from future athletes who will call that de facto salary cap a constraint of trade that has not been collectively bargained.
anEngineer
Riptide

A lot of lawyering left to be done.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:19 pm It’s over for the Tulane’s of the world.
That’s why they’ll split off and have their own playoff. No way on earth will the typical G5 be able to pay that type of money.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Isn’t the government itself breaking the antitrust Sherman act. Why can’t Boise, Idaho become Washington, Dumb Crapheads. They can demand that we pay taxes so they can spend it like drunken sailors in a whore house to be competitive with the current group in DC
arkhou02
Surge

I was just told by a pretty good source that we are done with Harris in charge. Revenue sharing cuts us all the G5’s out and what little chance we had is gone.
anEngineer
Riptide

I refuse to believe that Tulane, USF and Memphis are not desirable entities and markets. No one thinks realignment is over and the next moves are the P2 stealing what they want and the next level P2 will need something to backfill.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:55 pm I was just told by a pretty good source that we are done with Harris in charge. Revenue sharing cuts us all the G5’s out and what little chance we had is gone.
That’s correct. SMU looks to be the last one off the Titanic.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:04 pm I refuse to believe that Tulane, USF and Memphis are not desirable entities and markets. No one thinks realignment is over and the next moves are the P2 stealing what they want and the next level P2 will need something to backfill.
I think the ship has sailed with the settlement of this lawsuit. All the P4’s are settling to move forward.
They’ll have their own rules. The club will only get smaller and not larger IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:07 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:04 pm I refuse to believe that Tulane, USF and Memphis are not desirable entities and markets. No one thinks realignment is over and the next moves are the P2 stealing what they want and the next level P2 will need something to backfill.
I think the ship has sailed with the settlement of this lawsuit. All the P4’s are settling to move forward.
They’ll have their own rules. The club will only get smaller and not larger IMO.
So you think OSU and WSU will be left outside?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:20 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:07 pm
So you think OSU and WSU will be left outside?
Absolutely. Had they had any value they’d been picked up.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 pm
I count 68 P schools next year. You think it stays at that number?
arkhou02
Surge

No, it will go down rather than up. But with Harris in charge, we are done starting in 2025. It pisses me off. I would suggest no one give any more money to athletics unless you enjoy Tulane sports no matter the circumstances.
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:06 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:55 pm I was just told by a pretty good source that we are done with Harris in charge. Revenue sharing cuts us all the G5’s out and what little chance we had is gone.
That’s correct. SMU looks to be the last one off the Titanic.
Will be a tell tale sign if the 70 yard bubble suddenly is not going to happen .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
anEngineer
Riptide

arkhou02 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:27 pm No, it will go down rather than up. But with Harris in charge, we are done starting in 2025. It pisses me off. I would suggest no one give any more money to athletics unless you enjoy Tulane sports no matter the circumstances.
So your sources claim Harris is the problem? I just don't believe that.
nawlinspete
Riptide

What has Harris allegedly dropped the ball on ?

Or was he a wrong hire for what Tulane wanted and wants ?

Will he be terminated ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:57 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 pm
I count 68 P schools next year. You think it stays at that number?
If the ACC has a mass exit aka the PAC-12 I think the number could shrink to 64. That gets you to 4 leagues 16 teams each. The final P4. If not then 68 remains which is equivalent to what the NCAA basketball tournament invites. I’d be surprised to see that number raised.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class -- but if they do so, they cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations.

• Athletes can object to the settlement or opt out of the settlement class.

• A series of formulas devised by a sports economist will be used to decide how to split the money among more than 10,000 former and current athletes.

• Some athletes could be getting tens of thousands or over a hundred thousand [dollars] in the settlement. They'd have to choose to see if they could do better on their own.

• NIL collectives won’t need to raise as much money as they do currently, but they will likely serve as a salary cap workaround of sorts for the upper-tier programs with national championship ambitions.

• Exorbitant ticket prices (which if anything will go up even farther to help offset the lost revenue)
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:45 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:19 pm It’s over for the Tulane’s of the world.
That’s why they’ll split off and have their own playoff. No way on earth will the typical G5 be able to pay that type of money.
I think that's exactly where we'll end up. Some conferences will limit or eliminate the various pay plans (NIL, direct employment, etc), and try to emulate what we used to have. They will offer the traditional free education, maybe some additional stipend for athletes, and that's it--and that's where Tulane will end up. Gibson Hall will see it as a salvation.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:13 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:27 pm No, it will go down rather than up. But with Harris in charge, we are done starting in 2025. It pisses me off. I would suggest no one give any more money to athletics unless you enjoy Tulane sports no matter the circumstances.
So your sources claim Harris is the problem? I just don't believe that.
Yea. How can anyone blame Harris for all the current tumult and chaos that has beset college sports? Not to mention Gibson Hall's pathetic past when it has come to intercollegiate athletics. Harris may prove to be a great AD, or a horrendous AD, but at this point I can't see why he would be the problem.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana