NCAA Avalanche players now want a piece of the $2 billion payout

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The games on the fields and arenas of college sports remain wonderful, the television ratings in college football and the NCAA tournament for men's and women's basketball are all gangbusters. And the NCAA, behind decisive leadership from president Charlie Baker, appears to have bought increased relevance in the coming years by finding enough consensus to avoid a catastrophic financial loss from yet another court decision going against it.
Here's the thing that really pisses me off about this statement. Leadership bought increased relevance, AT THE EXPENSE OF 50% of the organization's member institutions. There was no true consensus, because in reality Group of Five isn't allowed an equal seat at the table. Oh, I know supposedly it takes all eleven votes to be unanimous, but the people representing the G5 know that if they ever want to actually get a job with a power school, they best stay in line.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wavemania
Surge

so what needs to be done is the big boys who make the most pay out the same percent in the settlement
RobertM320
Green Wave

wavemania wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:23 pm so what needs to be done is the big boys who make the most pay out the same percent in the settlement
Except that's not what they've done. I saw a post on Twitter recently that broke down what the shares should be, and what they are. The power conferences should be paying out about 90% of it, but they're paying out only about 60% the rest is split between G5, FCS and I forget who else. But as usual, we're the ones getting screwed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sad news. Looks like the beginning of the end for many non-Power schools.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/554661 ... ed_article
Seemingly little attention has been paid to the mid-majors or lower-level DI schools, which some administrators and executives believe could be left with three choices when addressing the loss of revenue stemming from the $2.8 billion settlement: 1) find a way to replace the monies; 2) make cuts to programs to offset lost monies; or 3) drop down a division.

The latter is already being discussed among some athletic directors who are fearful of what the new world order could bring, according to a small-school AD who has been privy to private conversations.

He knows it’s much easier for the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world to make up the lost revenue, even if it’s a projected $2 million a year, than it is for the Group of 5 and others, where the pathway to solvency is longer and harder.

“The reduction could be over half a million dollars annually for the Group of 5,” the conference commissioner told me. “Look at the (California State University) schools and the Mountain West — that’s a ton of money even for a San Diego State. Go a step deeper and it’s $175,000 to $200,000 annually for the mid-majors. That’s a lot of money for them. There’s a lot of concern there.”

“You’re going to see a lot of non-Power 5 athletic departments go away, including at the Division I level.”

Just last week, Birmingham-Southern College permanently closed its doors while its baseball team was competing in the NCAA Division III World Series. A sign of things to come?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks to the payout we get due to the efforts of Aresco we can absorb the half million.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:29 pm
The games on the fields and arenas of college sports remain wonderful, the television ratings in college football and the NCAA tournament for men's and women's basketball are all gangbusters. And the NCAA, behind decisive leadership from president Charlie Baker, appears to have bought increased relevance in the coming years by finding enough consensus to avoid a catastrophic financial loss from yet another court decision going against it.
Here's the thing that really pisses me off about this statement. Leadership bought increased relevance, AT THE EXPENSE OF 50% of the organization's member institutions. There was no true consensus, because in reality Group of Five isn't allowed an equal seat at the table. Oh, I know supposedly it takes all eleven votes to be unanimous, but the people representing the G5 know that if they ever want to actually get a job with a power school, they best stay in line.
It is sickening and all news is bad news.
arkhou02
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:45 am Sad news. Looks like the beginning of the end for many non-Power schools.
Seemingly little attention has been paid to the mid-majors or lower-level DI schools, which some administrators and executives believe could be left with three choices when addressing the loss of revenue stemming from the $2.8 billion settlement: 1) find a way to replace the monies; 2) make cuts to programs to offset lost monies; or 3) drop down a division.

The latter is already being discussed among some athletic directors who are fearful of what the new world order could bring, according to a small-school AD who has been privy to private conversations.

He knows it’s much easier for the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world to make up the lost revenue, even if it’s a projected $2 million a year, than it is for the Group of 5 and others, where the pathway to solvency is longer and harder.

“The reduction could be over half a million dollars annually for the Group of 5,” the conference commissioner told me. “Look at the (California State University) schools and the Mountain West — that’s a ton of money even for a San Diego State. Go a step deeper and it’s $175,000 to $200,000 annually for the mid-majors. That’s a lot of money for them. There’s a lot of concern there.”

“You’re going to see a lot of non-Power 5 athletic departments go away, including at the Division I level.”

Just last week, Birmingham-Southern College permanently closed its doors while its baseball team was competing in the NCAA Division III World Series. A sign of things to come?
TPS, so true. Just have to hope a Mr. Golding type steps up to the plate and has the right guy in his ear from Tulane. Miracles do happen.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:56 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:45 am Sad news. Looks like the beginning of the end for many non-Power schools.

TPS, so true. Just have to hope a Mr. Golding type steps up to the plate and has the right guy in his ear from Tulane. Miracles do happen.
I can only imagine how difficult it will be for schools like UNO and others with slim budgets. They are being priced out at every turn.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

I think the ACC is a possibility with USF especially when that conference loses several schools to the SEC, Big 10, and possibly Big 12. Schools like Stanford, Cal, SMU, Wake, BC, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, etc don't have anywhere else to go and that conference will need to add more teams.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:34 pm I think the ACC is a possibility with USF especially when that conference loses several schools to the SEC, Big 10, and possibly Big 12. Schools like Stanford, Cal, SMU, Wake, BC, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, etc don't have anywhere else to go and that conference will need to add more teams.
That is what we have to hope for. The problem is they might prefer to remain smaller so there’s less teams to split their money with.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:14 pm That is what we have to hope for. The problem is they might prefer to remain smaller so there’s less teams to split their money with.
That's possible though the current ACC TV deal with ESPN requires them to have 15 schools which is why they added Calford/SMU in case the blue blood schools leave. However, that deal can also be voided by ESPN after 2026-2027.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:45 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:14 pm That is what we have to hope for. The problem is they might prefer to remain smaller so there’s less teams to split their money with.
That's possible though the current ACC TV deal with ESPN requires them to have 15 schools which is why they added Calford/SMU in case the blue blood schools leave. However, that deal can also be voided by ESPN after 2026-2027.
ESPN's opt out is perfectly timed for them. They will offer a lot less if those schools leave and thus the remaining schools would mostly likely keep it small to get the most out of the offer. If not for that opt out Tulane would certainly have a chance to get in.
arkhou02
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:03 am LSU finally getting to pay players in the open. :lol:

Scott Woodward says LSU will 'thrive' while paying athletes
https://www.nola.com/sports/lsu/lsu-ad- ... a202d.html
Wish The Advocate would write a similar article questioning Harris and everyone else involved on how Tulane is planning, if at all, in addressing these issues. Tired of hearing nothing about us. Let the fans know something. I think we could put a group together and raise money quicker than our athletic department.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

arkhou02 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:00 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:03 am LSU finally getting to pay players in the open. :lol:

Wish The Advocate would write a similar article questioning Harris and everyone else involved on how Tulane is planning, if at all, in addressing these issues. Tired of hearing nothing about us. Let the fans know something. I think we could put a group together and raise money quicker than our athletic department.
I’m not sure we’re planning anything. Just stay in reactive mode.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:00 pm

I just read a story in the Athletic about LSU’s NIL collective bought Angel Reese a brand new Mercedes- Benz.
Along with four pictures in a May 2023 post on X, she thanked both the Baton Rouge dealership and LSU’s NIL collective, Bayou Traditions. That Reese would get into a luxury ride while still in college was no surprise; she was an All-American and national champion with millions of social media followers (not to mention a year away from attending the Met Gala).
Tulane Class of 1981