2024 US News & World Rankings (tie) #73 Tulane University

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ashley’s Stony Brook ranked higher 🫣
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/tu ... rsity-2029

In 2020 we were ranked #40 since then ranking standards have changed and we’ve struggled ever since to recover.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
krueman green
Ripple

A good friend of mine works at Tulane for 20 years . Told me Fitts said to them he dosen"t care about rankings he"s more about DEI . Thats what colleges are all about today my friend is retiring this year for that reason.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

krueman green wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:48 am A good friend of mine works at Tulane for 20 years . Told me Fitts said to them he dosen"t care about rankings he"s more about DEI . Thats what colleges are all about today my friend is retiring this year for that reason.
Bogus excuse for failure IMO.
Just look at the top 20. It’s all the usual schools. I bet they have equal DEI and are still ranked higher.
Tulane Class of 1981
krueman green
Ripple

I hear what you are saying but when the Pres. of the school dosn"t care this is what you get. Fitts well be gone in 2 years his contract is up . Iwas told his wife hates N.O. an cant wait to leave.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 am
krueman green wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:48 am A good friend of mine works at Tulane for 20 years . Told me Fitts said to them he dosen"t care about rankings he"s more about DEI . Thats what colleges are all about today my friend is retiring this year for that reason.
Bogus excuse for failure IMO.
Just look at the top 20. It’s all the usual schools. I bet they have equal DEI and are still ranked higher.
DEI....all state funded schools in Texas have that department closed, it is now as said on Shark Tank "Dead to Us"
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

krueman green wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:11 am I hear what you are saying but when the Pres. of the school dosn"t care this is what you get. Fitts well be gone in 2 years his contract is up . Iwas told his wife hates N.O. an cant wait to leave.
Unfortunately parents and students evaluating schools go by this ranking. “Doesn’t care” doesn’t fly with alums and donors.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:38 am
krueman green wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:11 am I hear what you are saying but when the Pres. of the school dosn"t care this is what you get. Fitts well be gone in 2 years his contract is up . Iwas told his wife hates N.O. an cant wait to leave.
Unfortunately parents and students evaluating schools go by this ranking. “Doesn’t care” doesn’t fly with alums and donors.
We fell 30 places in one year because we are not "socially and economically diverse," very few Pell Grant students, etc.

That being said, I agree, it looks pretty bad, but in many ways the school has never been in better shape academically. USN&WR just "changed the rules" on us for how it now ranks universities. In a lot of ways an "indictment" of USN&WR itself for how it had been doing things for the last 40 years, that is, beginning in 1983 for first ranking colleges; as if to say, "We, USN&WR, were wrong for the past 40 years for university rankings but now we are correct?" :confused:
anEngineer
Riptide

DEI is on the wane in the real world. Universities and media usually feel they are intellectually and morally above the real world. We will see if DEI eventually declines with them as well.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

what the hell is a USNWR ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbissanti
Surge

DEI has already been completed discredited and will be a common theme of jokes in short future. Hopefully Fitts is not that stupid but most in that circle are.
mbissanti
Surge

anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:33 am DEI is on the wane in the real world. Universities and media usually feel they are intellectually and morally above the real world. We will see if DEI eventually declines with them as well.
Universities and media are the opposite of morally and intellectually superior in reality. Their perception is backwards
bananax07
Ripple

is there anything wrong in the world that Fox News-addled boomers don't blame on DEI?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

bananax07 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:28 pm is there anything wrong in the world that Fox News-addled boomers don't blame on DEI?
at one time I watched CBS...Crap Broadcasting System and ABC, Azzholes Broadcasting Crap...and NBC, Nothin' But Crap.....and to think I am old enuff to remember the likes of Walter Cronkite getting emotional when announcing that JFK passed or as he watched the first man on the moon.... those days are gone.....the days of "indoctrinational' broadcasting are here, and what a waste of air time they all are, as is DEI
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:10 pm
bananax07 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:28 pm is there anything wrong in the world that Fox News-addled boomers don't blame on DEI?
at one time I watched CBS...Crap Broadcasting System and ABC, Azzholes Broadcasting Crap...and NBC, Nothin' But Crap.....and to think I am old enuff to remember the likes of Walter Cronkite getting emotional when announcing that JFK passed or as he watched the first man on the moon.... those days are gone.....the days of "indoctrinational' broadcasting are here, and what a waste of air time they all are, as is DEI
Then don’t watch those stations so we don’t have to read you bitch about it on a college athletics message board.
Wave755
Tsunami

Here is the explanation for last year's 29 place drop in Tulane's USN&WR ranking:

"Recent modifications to the ranking formula were aimed at rewarding programs that emphasize social mobility and outcomes, U.S. News said, while eliminating factors that some educators complained in years past benefited wealthier schools and students."
https://www.nola.com/news/education/tul ... erformance.
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:48 pm
Then don’t watch those stations so we don’t have to read you bitch about it on a college athletics message board.
I will respond to you , just as I did to the poster who noted "fox news"... which prompted my response...oh, I do not watch CNN, Communist News Network either.....
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I wonder who your friend plans on voting for, it’s called confirmation bias. The percentage of African American students has not changed in the nearly 10 years he has been president, that’s the facts. There has been a lot of great infrastructure built. I don’t care what he has to do, but Tulane should not be outside the top 50. It’s a bull$hit list but it does matter big time to prospective students. The big issues are post graduation salary/jobs, 6 year grad rates and pell grants. IMO.
mbissanti
Surge

all mainstream media is useless propaganda.
mbissanti
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:48 pm

i am sure he does not watch any of that worthless drivel and he was not bitching. he was making a factual statement
MicMan
Swell

Gee, whatever happened to all that mindless fertilizer about CRT? Oh that's right -- it was replaced by mindless fertilizer about DEI. I guess CRT was too complicated for some to understand.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The bigger concern may not be that we are ranked #73 among National Universities, but that were ranked #114 for Value Schools. Pay more and get less isn't a strong attraction.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

As others have noted, the reason for the rankings fall were changes to the methodology. Many of us here knew that that was coming based on how Tulane games the rankings - it made Tulane susceptible to changes to certain student quality related variables - test scores, gpa and student family income implications in the methodology. Like the similar falls of the med school, business school, and law school, there is no quick fix other than either a methodology change or a donation of $1 billion plus.

Separately, DEI isn’t the issue so it’s weird to see it brought up in this context. There is no need to virtue signal here.

Finally, the value rankings are still a reflection of Tulane not having enough money and Tulane focusing on merit scholarships to buy quantitative inputs. The challenge is Tulane doesn’t have enough money to compete at the level it aspires to compete at.
Dave breslin
Swell

To really be functional and promoting DEI, we should eliminate sports that seperate ones with ducks and ones that don’t require a dick.
Dave breslin
Swell

Spell check sucks. Dick not duck
DrBox
Riptide

Actually, had we done more on DEI would’ve been higher in the rankings. Did you actually look at how the methodology of the rankings changed? The reason for DEI at places like Harvard, is to compensate for all of the legacy admissions they give out. There aren’t a lot of minorities getting legacy admissions - Pure happenstance, I know.
They also reduced things that Tulane is good at such as class size; but they kept things at Tulane, isn’t nearly as good at such as student teacher ratios, which favor the super rich schools, who hire a lot of professors who don’t teach.
But yeah, let’s blame everything on the bogeyman du jour.