The Students are revoltin'

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

plan to stop the construction of the IPF
https://tulanehullabaloo.com/65670/view ... -students/

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 pm plan to stop the construction of the IPF
I was wondering when that was going to happen. They are always using that field for something.
Baseball better watch out. They might take over Greer Field for it. Who knows. I’d be surprised if they ignore the student protest these days. FB needs its own building that doesn’t need to be shared with intramurals. And it shouldn't be a cheap ass bubble.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 pm plan to stop the construction of the IPF
I was wondering when that was going to happen. They are always using that field for something.
Baseball better watch out. They might take over Greer Field for it. Who knows. I’d be surprised if they ignore the student protest these days. FB needs its own building that doesn’t need to be shared with intramurals. And it shouldn't be a cheap ass bubble.
Agree the Bubble at Rice was put on the Parking Lot and looked totally pathetic!!!
anEngineer
Riptide

When you read the story, there should be violins playing in the background. Athletics is trying to reclaim land that was previously confiscated from them. Fewer than 800 signatures out of 9000 undergrads and 5000 grad students isn't overly impressive.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 pm When you read the story, there should be violins playing in the background. Athletics is trying to reclaim land that was previously confiscated from them. Fewer than 800 signatures out of 9000 undergrads and 5000 grad students isn't overly impressive.
Dannen and Fritz both gone. So does Harris and Sumrall want to stand up for it? I guess time will tell.
I’m more concerned about the bubble aspect of it. I have a feeling it’s going to be bush league if they go that route.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 pm When you read the story, there should be violins playing in the background. Athletics is trying to reclaim land that was previously confiscated from them. Fewer than 800 signatures out of 9000 undergrads and 5000 grad students isn't overly impressive.
Dannen and Fritz both gone. So does Harris and Sumrall want to stand up for it? I guess time will tell.
I’m more concerned about the bubble aspect of it. I have a feeling it’s going to be bush league if they go that route.
A bubble is definitely bush league—looks awful. So much for campus appearance, and another example of Tulane on the athletic cheap. Move baseball off campus, nobody watches them anyway anymore, and build out first class athletic facilities from Yulman to Claiborne.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm
A bubble is definitely bush league—looks awful. So much for campus appearance, and another example of Tulane on the athletic cheap. Move baseball off campus, nobody watches them anyway anymore, and build out first class athletic facilities from Yulman to Claiborne.
How can it be "bush league" when so many other athletic depts have exactly the same thing?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not so many others have a short field bubble.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 pm Not so many others have a short field bubble.
WVU
https://wvusports.com/facilities/capert ... acility/18

TCU
https://gofrogs.com/sports/2018/7/13/fa ... -html.aspx
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:56 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 pm Not so many others have a short field bubble.
WVU

TCU
The statement made was that simply having a bubble is "bush league". The fact that others (power schools) have shorter facilities is interesting also. That's what bothers so many of us is that even when Tulane is trying to do the right things, there are those here who just can't stop finding a reason to beat them up over it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:34 am
WVU

TCU
The statement made was that simply having a bubble is "bush league". The fact that others (power schools) have shorter facilities is interesting also. That's what bothers so many of us is that even when Tulane is trying to do the right things, there are those here who just can't stop finding a reason to beat them up over it.
the University of Texas has a bubble, almost underneath I-35 south bound in Austin, the road noise, along with the homeless encampments make it a the palce to see and be seen....Baylor's IPF was only 80 yards until this year when an extension was added
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WVU

TCU
Unfortunately I have a vision of the UC bubble on campus after. Katrina. It looked like a circus blowup tent. And placing something similar to that on Brown Field wouldn’t excite me. Tulane has a beautiful campus and I’m thinking that it will be an eyesore if it’s a bubble placed right there. .
I’d prefer they put a roof over the practice field between Turchin and Yulman where it’s not visible and make Brown Field a better practice field and open it up to both FB and Intramurals. I just think it’s a cheap and bad idea to put a bubble right there on Brown Field where most walk up to enter Yulman.
They only way we could get a 100 yard covered field would be to take away Turchin.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WVU

TCU
golf there's a 134 FBS teams so you got 2 there. Plus those 2 aren't bubbles. We are decades behind in this and a short field bubble that is shared with the students isn't going to help us keep a coach or help in recruiting. We need a full field permanent structure. More importantly we are at least a decade behind in not having a football ops. building. That at this point should have been the top priority.

ULL:
https://ragincajuns.com/facilities/leon ... acility/28
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 am
Unfortunately I have a vision of the UC bubble on campus after. Katrina. It looked like a circus blowup tent. And placing something similar to that on Brown Field wouldn’t excite me. Tulane has a beautiful campus and I’m thinking that it will be an eyesore if it’s a bubble placed right there. .
I’d prefer they put a roof over the practice field between Turchin and Yulman where it’s not visible and make Brown Field a better practice field and open it up to both FB and Intramurals. I just think it’s a cheap and bad idea to put a bubble right there on Brown Field where most walk up to enter Yulman.
They only way we could get a 100 yard covered field would be to take away Turchin.
That field between Turchin and Yulman isn't a true practice field. The only thing done on it is kickers using it and linemen being sent there to do drills. Not enough sideline space to run live plays there. That's why it isn't going there.
wave97
Swell

The students are spot on. We need a retractable cantilevered dome over Yulman by raising the north, south & west sides.
To hell with the niby’s.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:14 am
WVU

TCU
golf there's a 134 FBS teams so you got 2 there. Plus those 2 aren't bubbles. We are decades behind in this and a short field bubble that is shared with the students isn't going to help us keep a coach or help in recruiting. We need a full field permanent structure. More importantly we are at least a decade behind in not having a football ops. building. That at this point should have been the top priority.

ULL:
https://ragincajuns.com/facilities/leon ... acility/28
I am not disagreeign with the need, the issue is the space...the space is there, ya just need to move baseball 2.8 miles from campus on the Jefferson - Orleans line on Jeff hwy-Claiborne Ave...or do as I have suggested many times, put a helium inflated dome or some type of roof over Yulman...many issues would then be solved, including making Yulman a baskeball venue, much like the carrier dome was used for Syracuse...hell, I remember making a propsoal to Tulane during the Mack Brown days, to build a stadium in Audubon park, by the river that could be shared with Orlenas public schools, cost to the city, only the property, Tulane would pay for the Stadium...but then again, I am thought of, by some on this board, of being a short sighted old white guy
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:51 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm
How can it be "bush league" when so many other athletic depts have exactly the same thing?
How many have them? Don't bother to answer because it doesn't matter. The balloon looking bubbles look terrible on any campus. Just look at Rice's monstrosity. It's just a cheap answer--typical.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 am
Turchin is in the way of all kinds of facilities progress for our athletic program. Tulane needs to "bite the bullet", move Turchin and build out the needed facilities between Yulman and Claiborne--parking garage, arena, IPF, Ops bldg.; and athletic development center. Please stop the piecemeal and myopic approach to facilities growth.
Forever TU
Surge

Not many face the space limitations that we do. “Tearing down Turchin” is not an idea either.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Forever TU wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:27 am
Not many face the space limitations that we do. “Tearing down Turchin” is not an idea either.
The university could give Rosen lot to athletics and all space needed would be there. I never suggested Turchin be torn down and it won’t be.
TURVS71
Swell

Repeat:

Move baseball and use that VALUABLE land for every kind of buildings you need!!!!

With the potential $$$$$, First class football facilities are WAY more important than baseball…
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Show Me
Tsunami

Forever TU wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:27 am
I thought so for years but less than 300 people go to the baseball games nowadays. I’d hate to see it get moved off campus just to put up a FB practice facility but at this point I doubt you’d get much opposition to it.
Dannen basically starved baseball to this point and it’s not likely to make a comeback that we’d all want like the good old days. Cover Yulman would be the way to solve our space problems.
TURVS71
Swell

What would you rather have on campus?

A first class, large and modern football operations building AND a full-size IPF

or

a baseball field
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
rollinggreen
High Tide

I agree with TURVS71. It is clear baseball is now an afterthought. Want proof? How about hiring the Assistant to a coach you fired. Brilliant!
TerryD101
Low Tide

Why not play baseball at Zephyr Stadium? Why not pay Benson to use their facility when the Saints are away or when time allows. Why not kiss Gayles ring and get her to put money up and name the facility after her and Tom? What about area near the fly? Just thinking outside the box