Another NFL woke rule

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Imagine trying to avoid tackling from the waist or hip now.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Now, I have no idea what woke means.
HoustonWave
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 pm Imagine trying to avoid tackling from the waist or hip now.
How long before the NFL goes to flag football?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

I can't believe that the NFL remains popular. It's no longer a sport; it's an exhibition with totally subjective rules that apply to players differently, depending on who they are. The fact that people wager millions on this makes it even more preposterous.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 pm Now, I have no idea what woke means.
The feminization and pu$$yfication of football in this case.
From theathletic
The players’ association expressed disapproval over the move. Why have hip-drop tackles exploded year over year? Players resorted to the technique to avoid using their helmets while tackling. The other major concern is enforcement: How can referees call this correctly in a fast-paced game? This season, there will absolutely be a maddening moment when a hip-drop tackle costs someone a game.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Honestly, it doesn’t mean anything other than virtue/political signaling. That’s literally it.
TURVS71
Swell

I say we put tutu's on all players, skip, hold hands and go to an antique show! \
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the nfl "Kick Off" is changed also..it wants to be just like the defunct "usfl"
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/398 ... ckoff-play
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:43 am I say we put tutu's on all players, skip, hold hands and go to an antique show! \
Until people stop watching, it will continue.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Even the players hate this. They will have to re-learn how to tackle legally once again. The way I read it you can’t grab by the waist and try to twist someone down. Imagine trying to tackle with that in mind.
It’s a waist horse collar basically. Bizarre.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I thought this was another sissy rule until I heard it explained on the NFL network on SiriusXM. They're talking about the tackles where the defender grabs the hip and throws their weight on the lower body. This type of tackle doesn't happen that often and is typically done by a DB on an RB when he's giving up a lot of size. It also has a ridiculously high injury rate..
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JDTulane
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:40 am
From theathletic
The players’ association expressed disapproval over the move. Why have hip-drop tackles exploded year over year? Players resorted to the technique to avoid using their helmets while tackling. The other major concern is enforcement: How can referees call this correctly in a fast-paced game? This season, there will absolutely be a maddening moment when a hip-drop tackle costs someone a game.
Can you explain to me what outlawing of a particular tackle technique has to do with masculine/feminine traits? And your use of woke in the prior description? Are words losing their meaning? Sissy^?

I didn't realize gotula was stuck in the 1980s.

To the poster that said "flag football incoming"... wouldn't be surprised either. It's already making it's way to the olympics. NFL sponsors my flag football league.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:36 am
From theathletic
Can you explain to me what outlawing of a particular tackle technique has to do with masculine/feminine traits? And your use of woke in the prior description? Are words losing their meaning? Sissy^?

To the poster that said "flag football incoming"... wouldn't be surprised either. It's already making it's way to the olympics. NFL sponsors my flag football league.
The players hate it. Just saying they have made a mockery of the original game. I get the injuries stuff but how on earth are players supposed to tackle? They outlawed certain helmet contact and now grabbing by the waist may get you penalized. It’s an expression used to describe what’s happening. Growing up we’d call it ginny woman tackling today it’s pussyfication.
That word is used in a negative connotation as a sign of weakness. “You’re a pussy” means your weak to most people. I’ve seen feminization used but not as frequent.

Just BS like seeking a safe space IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 pm

From theathletic

The players hate it. Just saying they have made a mockery of the original game. I get the injuries stuff but how on earth are players supposed to tackle? They outlawed certain helmet contact and now grabbing by the waist may get you penalized. It’s an expression used to describe what’s happening. Growing up we’d call it ginny woman tackling today it’s pussyfication.
That word is used in a negative connotation as a sign of weakness. “You’re a pussy” means your weak to most people.

Agree.
JDTulane
Riptide

From theathletic

That word is used in a negative connotation as a sign of weakness. “You’re a pussy” means your weak to most people. I’ve seen feminization used but not as frequent.

I got what you meant by it. It's outdated. Even the way you just described it to putting "feminization" on par with "weakness". It's 2024 bruh, time to update your lexicon. We can discuss how dumb the rule change is without overt misogyny being injected into it.

But what do I know? Just a word policing millennial. :lol: ;)

Back on topic... what is then the recommended tackle technique outlined to be?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:43 pm

I got what you meant by it. It's outdated. Even the way you just described it to putting "feminization" on par with "weakness". It's 2024 bruh, time to update your lexicon. We can discuss how dumb the rule change is without overt misogyny being injected into it.

They way I interpret it is that if you grab a player by the waist and twist while pulling him down that’s considered a penalty going forward.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 pm
JDTulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:43 pm

They way I interpret it is that if you grab a player by the waist and twist while pulling him down that’s considered a penalty going forward.
this rule will make a mockery of all principles regarding inertia and momentum....a "physics" perfesser, will be training all nfl crews on the proper application of the new rule. Two videos will be used to help with the training classes

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NFL to institute a new kickoff rule to prevent injuries
https://theathletic.com/5371629/2024/03 ... ed_article
NFL owners voted 29-3 yesterday to adopt the new kickoff format, which is meant to encourage more returns and increase player safety. The kicker still kicks from his own 35-yard line, with his teammates lined up on the receiving team’s 40-yard line, five yards away from the return team’s blockers. Two kick returners will line up in a “landing zone” between the 20 and the goal line.
There’s the encouragement part: Any kick that lands in the end zone is a touchback, and any kick that lands before the landing zone will get spotted at the receiving team’s 40. If the ball lands in the landing zone, the receiving team must return it.
The safety rub: The kicking team won’t be allowed to move until the ball lands in the landing zone, which prevents players from careening into each other with 40-yard head starts.
I wonder how this effects on side kickoffs.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 am NFL to institute a new kickoff rule to prevent injuries
NFL owners voted 29-3 yesterday to adopt the new kickoff format, which is meant to encourage more returns and increase player safety. The kicker still kicks from his own 35-yard line, with his teammates lined up on the receiving team’s 40-yard line, five yards away from the return team’s blockers. Two kick returners will line up in a “landing zone” between the 20 and the goal line.
There’s the encouragement part: Any kick that lands in the end zone is a touchback, and any kick that lands before the landing zone will get spotted at the receiving team’s 40. If the ball lands in the landing zone, the receiving team must return it.
The safety rub: The kicking team won’t be allowed to move until the ball lands in the landing zone, which prevents players from careening into each other with 40-yard head starts.
You have to declare an on-sides kick. No more Ambush.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:46 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 am NFL to institute a new kickoff rule to prevent injuries
You have to declare an on-sides kick. No more Ambush.
Yes. So effectively no surprise onside kicks. Sean Payton in trouble lol.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Maybe the nfl should limit the size of running backs to 4’ tall or less!
anEngineer
Riptide

The ironic part is that this type of tackling is a direct reaction of not being able to use helmets anymore. This will probably lead to another method of bringing down ball carriers that exposes something else to injury. SHOCK: people sometimes get hurt playing football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 am The ironic part is that this type of tackling is a direct reaction of not being able to use helmets anymore. This will probably lead to another method of bringing down ball carriers that exposes something else to injury. SHOCK: people sometimes get hurt playing football.
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Today, they announced a bizarre change to kickoffs that have both sides within 5 yards of each other. It presumably keeps players from hitting at full speed. There is no explanation of how onside kicks would work. Maybe they are making that illegal too.

Dave breslin
Swell

Ban helmets