YOGWF Message Board

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

arkhou02 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm Steve, why so many attacks? Is there nothing to block them? Is it only from India? Just crazy.
It's somewhat the nature of the beast. phpBB is the software powering our forum. While dated, the software is still updated and maintained by the developer community. Each release introduces new features and attempts to fix any known exploits with older versions.

Simply put, the hackers/bots scan the internet for sites whose structure looks similar to phpBB and then ping the hell out of certain urls/files. For sites that are updated and have mitigation mechanisms put in place on the server (GOTULA), the traffic is simply ignored/rejected and isn't allowed to affect the usability site. For others, the malicious traffic can take the site down (YOGWF).

So, it's a constant battle to monitor site traffic and make sure we are identifying and blocking malicious visitors. What works today doesn't necessarily work tomorrow. This happens all the time and not just with our forum/software. India just happens to be the most common country (identified by IP address) where our bad visitors come from. China and Russia are close behind. :lol:

https://www.phpbb.com/

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
arkhou02
Surge

Steve, thank you for the explanation.
AugWave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm Steve, why so many attacks? Is there nothing to block them? Is it only from India? Just crazy.
It's somewhat the nature of the beast. phpBB is the software powering our forum. While dated, the software is still updated and maintained by the developer community. Each release introduces new features and attempts to fix any known exploits with older versions.

Simply put, the hackers/bots scan the internet for sites whose structure looks similar to phpBB and then ping the hell out of certain urls/files. For sites that are updated and have mitigation mechanisms put in place on the server (GOTULA), the traffic is simply ignored/rejected and isn't allowed to affect the usability site. For others, the malicious traffic can take the site down (YOGWF).

So, it's a constant battle to monitor site traffic and make sure we are identifying and blocking malicious visitors. What works today doesn't necessarily work tomorrow. This happens all the time and not just with our forum/software. India just happens to be the most common country (identified by IP address) where our bad visitors come from. China and Russia are close behind. :lol:

Wow. I never knew all this was going on behind the scenes.

Thanks for the quick lesson (I still don't understand 8-)).
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
TURVS71
Swell

AugWave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:17 am

That's my boy!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
NotJtS
Low Tide

Down. Again.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NotJtS wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:16 pmDown. Again.
Wow
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

I've tried...
Roll Wave!
AugWave
Swell

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:01 pm
AugWave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:17 am

That's my boy!!!
Hey, my brother is the computer genius. Management Consulting? I'm your guy.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

https://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?t=58440
JtS wrote:One issue is that yogwf.com, in this version (using phpBB), will have 20 years of posts on June 17th, 2024. We have not pruned since day one. Yes, all the good, the bad, and the ugly. YOGWF is HUGE.

Do we want to keep everything from day one? Or do we pick a point and prune it?

Remember, some of the Cowen battle and fundraising, Katrina, where many kept in contact through yogwf, CWS, and more, are all saved.

One opinion is to copy yogwf.com and make it a historical forum without posting. Then, start another regular yogwf forum and begin pruning back. Which begs the question: How far back to go? Start at the Willie years?

Pertinent discussion is welcome...
The quote above by JtS over on the other forum shows me he truly has no idea what he is talking about.

The phpBB forum that our sites are running use MySQL as their back-end database. Keep in mind that when properly configured, this is a database engine that is capable of EASILY processing and handing TENS/HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of records, very quickly.

Since their forum has been around much longer than us, their content (post count) is a little more than twice as much as ours. At the time of writing this, here are the current post counts:

GOTULA: 269,821
YOGWF: 560,165

That said, our database size is currently right around 485MB. Given their post count, I'd estimate their database size to be right around 1,000 MB, or a figure just shy of 1GB of data.

I hope anyone from over there is reading this. Database size is NOT your issue. It's lack of infrastructure and someone who knows proper server architecture / data-tuning techniques to keep the forum (web and database servers) running smoothly.

As much as we haven't seen eye to eye on things in the past, I'd hate to see so much of the history and conversations and even uprisings from the early 2000's and lunatic fringe simply be pruned (deleted). :wallbash: :shock:

Come on, guys!
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am https://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?t=58440
JtS wrote:One issue is that yogwf.com, in this version (using phpBB), will have 20 years of posts on June 17th, 2024. We have not pruned since day one. Yes, all the good, the bad, and the ugly. YOGWF is HUGE.

Do we want to keep everything from day one? Or do we pick a point and prune it?

Remember, some of the Cowen battle and fundraising, Katrina, where many kept in contact through yogwf, CWS, and more, are all saved.

One opinion is to copy yogwf.com and make it a historical forum without posting. Then, start another regular yogwf forum and begin pruning back. Which begs the question: How far back to go? Start at the Willie years?

Pertinent discussion is welcome...
The quote above by JtS over on the other forum shows me he truly has no idea what he is talking about.

The phpBB forum that our sites are running use MySQL as their back-end database. Keep in mind that when properly configured, this is a database engine that is capable of EASILY processing and handing TENS/HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of records, very quickly.

Since their forum has been around much longer than us, their content (post count) is a little more than twice as much as ours. At the time of writing this, here are the current post counts:

GOTULA: 269,821
YOGWF: 560,165

That said, our database size is currently right around 485MB. Given their post count, I'd estimate their database size to be right around 1,000 MB, or a figure just shy of 1GB of data.

I hope anyone from over there is reading this. Database size is NOT your issue. It's lack of infrastructure and someone who knows proper server architecture / data-tuning techniques to keep the forum (web and database servers) running smoothly.

As much as we haven't seen eye to eye on things in the past, I'd hate to see so much of the history and conversations and even uprisings from the early 2000's and lunatic fringe simply be pruned (deleted). :wallbash: :shock:

Come on, guys!
Simple terms.
GoTula is Nivida
YOGWF is Intel
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

Or GoTula.net is Netflix and YOGWF is Blockbuster. JTS still stands for Joy To Scelfo
GifWave
Ripple

Show Me
Tsunami

GifWave wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:22 pm Image
Is that Jim from YOGWF? :lol: :lol: