JMU vs Tulane (Football)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I spent the late afternoon into the wee hours of the morning with JMU’s leadership yesterday. One of my best friends is an alum and large donor and he came up for the games. Met the President, Jon Alger, who told the inner circle earlier in the week that he’s leaving. Also met the longtime AD Jeff Bourne, who is finishing up a 25 year tenure as AD. Talk about an AD with accomplishments! In addition to multiple national championship in football at the FCS Level, he oversaw their move to FBS which has been the most successful in history.

I don’t mention this to name drop. I mention it because JMU wants to schedule Tulane. The event I was at was put on by the JMU equivalent of the FTW Collective. Ironic in light of our discussion about fundraising not being a fun job, I met the current and former directors of fundraising, who have a say because they themselves are big donors. As soon as anyone I met learned I went to Tulane, they brought up scheduling us. Some even said they’d do a 2 f0r 1 with Tulane. The Associate AD told me he’s heard enough people tell him to schedule Tulane that he wants to get it done.

JMU suffers from nobody wanting to play them. They have a beautiful campus and stadium, the only drawback is it’s not easy to get to Harrisonburg VA. They’ve recently upgraded their academic rankings and recognition shifting from regional to National University. They are what golfnut would call a “directional school” as they’re part of the UVA System.

And they beat the snot out of Wisconsin last night after opening the season with a win at then 4th ranked Michigan State to go 2-0 vs. Big 10 basketball this season. At 32-4 they’re tied with UConn for most wins in D1,

But getting back to football, they want to play us and we should play them. It will give the winner the inside track on the G5 playoff spot. I also feel better about Sumrall playing them than Fritz as he’s lost to them both times he faced them and wouldn’t take them lightly.

Mr. Harris, please get this scheduled NOW. Let’s get the Dukes on campus, maybe College GameDay (which JMU has hosted 2x) will come too. A nice evening matchup in late September in a couple of years would be amazing. And the Dukes travel, too. I’d bet 10K of the 17k attending last nights session at the Barclay Center were wearing JMU colors (we don’t like their colors, but I wore them yesterday!)

College football needs this game. It could be a showcase for the G5.

Roll Wave!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:56 am I spent the late afternoon into the wee hours of the morning with JMU’s leadership yesterday. One of my best friends is an alum and large donor and he came up for the games. Met the President, Jon Alger, who told the inner circle earlier in the week that he’s leaving. Also met the longtime AD Jeff Bourne, who is finishing up a 25 year tenure as AD. Talk about an AD with accomplishments! In addition to multiple national championship in football at the FCS Level, he oversaw their move to FBS which has been the most successful in history.

I don’t mention this to name drop. I mention it because JMU wants to schedule Tulane. The event I was at was put on by the JMU equivalent of the FTW Collective. Ironic in light of our discussion about fundraising not being a fun job, I met the current and former directors of fundraising, who have a say because they themselves are big donors. As soon as anyone I met learned I went to Tulane, they brought up scheduling us. Some even said they’d do a 2 f0r 1 with Tulane. The Associate AD told me he’s heard enough people tell him to schedule Tulane that he wants to get it done.

JMU suffers from nobody wanting to play them. They have a beautiful campus and stadium, the only drawback is it’s not easy to get to Harrisonburg VA. They’ve recently upgraded their academic rankings and recognition shifting from regional to National University. They are what golfnut would call a “directional school” as they’re part of the UVA System.

And they beat the snot out of Wisconsin last night after opening the season with a win at then 4th ranked Michigan State to go 2-0 vs. Big 10 basketball this season. At 32-4 they’re tied with UConn for most wins in D1,

But getting back to football, they want to play us and we should play them. It will give the winner the inside track on the G5 playoff spot. I also feel better about Sumrall playing them than Fritz as he’s lost to them both times he faced them and wouldn’t take them lightly.

Mr. Harris, please get this scheduled NOW. Let’s get the Dukes on campus, maybe College GameDay (which JMU has hosted 2x) will come too. A nice evening matchup in late September in a couple of years would be amazing. And the Dukes travel, too. I’d bet 10K of the 17k attending last nights session at the Barclay Center were wearing JMU colors (we don’t like their colors, but I wore them yesterday!)

College football needs this game. It could be a showcase for the G5.

Roll Wave!
Unless Tulane gets a big check they’d probably not going to schedule them. As far as 2 for 1 I don’t think that would make any difference. We only have so many non conference games and it’s in our best interest to play teams from the P level outside of a couple of rent-a-win games. The risk/reward playing JMU is not worth it IMO.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We play 4 OOC games/year. 2024 will be the first time I can remember playing 2 against a Pee program. We’ve played other SBC teams, why not the best? The risk is losing, and if we don’t want to play them for fear of losing, we’re saying we’re chickenshit. I don’t buy that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We need a tough OOC due to the weak conference were in. We should play them and other top G5's every year and not play anymore FCS teams.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
austxwave
High Tide

I disagree with playing them. With 4 OOC games per year, our formula of playing 1-2 P5 and 2 local team to gain ticket sales is the right path. We have Mississippi, Mississippi State, Duke, Wake Forest, Northwestern, and Kansas State filling the P5 needs. As far as the local G5 schools, we have SELa, Southern Miss, South Alabama, and ULaLa to fill those roles. There's zero benefit to playing JMU in football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

austxwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:44 am I disagree with playing them. With 4 OOC games per year, our formula of playing 1-2 P5 and 2 local team to gain ticket sales is the right path. We have Mississippi, Mississippi State, Duke, Wake Forest, Northwestern, and Kansas State filling the P5 needs. As far as the local G5 schools, we have SELa, Southern Miss, South Alabama, and ULaLa to fill those roles. There's zero benefit to playing JMU in football.
Well stated. That’s exactly what I was thinking. There’s no benefit for us but more benefit for them.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Zero benefit? How about selling out Yulman? How about improving the quality of our schedule? I’m hearing a lot of lousy excuses to not play a team we might have a tough time beating. I know there were years before they were FBS they would have schooled us. I personally think we’ll be better faster with Sumrall, but he’s 0-2 against them. Their new coach is moving up from FCS. Why would you not sub a JMU for a South Alabama? Why would you NOT want to play one of the other contenders for the G5 playoff spot? The Pee schools you mention are not part of the conversation as we’ll admit JMU isn’t going to fill a pee slot. SELA is FCS, not G5, by the way. We really don’t need to play an FCS game, as winwave points out. Our conference schedule is littered with weak programs, we need better OOC foes or we stand to lose out to teams with identical records.

Madison doesn’t have more to gain from a matchup than Tulane. Perhaps you don’t know how successful their athletics program has been the last 20 years.? We’d be benefitting from having the best G5 matchup of the season just as much as Madison would.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sickening to hear Tulane fans talk like LSU fans.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

It would be a good test for us, but I do think the way Fritz and Sumrall are recruiting, the Wave would be overly physical. I watched JMU last season while rooting for them to lose only because I didn't want them to have an argument over Tulane for the NY6 spot. They execute really well, but they don't have the physical talent that Tulane has had the past two seasons. And I give credit for JMU beating Troy, but Troy doesn't have the talent that Tulane has had the last two years. Case in point, Troy went to K-State this past season and got mauled. Sumrall won't have that issue at Tulane since we will routinely out recruit them.

Anyway, back to the discussion on whether we should play them. We're scheduling at least two P4 teams now. Also playing against local G5 teams. I agree we should stop with FCS teams. I would schedule JMU, but only at home. I wouldn't do a 1:1 or 2:1. Traveling to a Sun Belt school that is local isn't the same as traveling there. And I know P4 schools travel here, but it's not difficult to travel to New Orleans. So yeah, they can come here, but no to a road game.
austxwave
High Tide

The schools that I mentioned are already on future schedules. All of the out of conference games appear to be the first 4 weeks of the season. With 2 peer-like P5 schools on our calendar every year, it is illogical to schedule additional 50/50 games. Between 2 P5 games and the strength of our conference games, there is no reason to add an additional game to the schedule that could be a tossup so early in the season. If that were ever to be the plan, just schedule another P5. Playing JMU brings absolutely nothing to our scheduling. To think otherwise, knowing we have (2) P5 schools already on our schedule every year and understanding that the goal is to be G5 school in the playoff, it's totally illogical to consider JMU. I'd just assume play UVA or Va Tech for more ticket sales and eyeballs if we're scheduling schools in Virginia.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:44 pm Zero benefit? How about selling out Yulman? How about improving the quality of our schedule? I’m hearing a lot of lousy excuses to not play a team we might have a tough time beating. I know there were years before they were FBS they would have schooled us. I personally think we’ll be better faster with Sumrall, but he’s 0-2 against them. Their new coach is moving up from FCS. Why would you not sub a JMU for a South Alabama? Why would you NOT want to play one of the other contenders for the G5 playoff spot? The Pee schools you mention are not part of the conversation as we’ll admit JMU isn’t going to fill a pee slot. SELA is FCS, not G5, by the way. We really don’t need to play an FCS game, as winwave points out. Our conference schedule is littered with weak programs, we need better OOC foes or we stand to lose out to teams with identical records.

Madison doesn’t have more to gain from a matchup than Tulane. Perhaps you don’t know how successful their athletics program has been the last 20 years.? We’d be benefitting from having the best G5 matchup of the season just as much as Madison would.
As a fan I’d rather play Ole Miss, OU, and those “football” schools. That’s all.
Tulane Class of 1981
FaraHilde
Trickle

Adding additional 50/50 games early in the season seems illogical given our schedule with two P5 schools and strong conference games. Playing JMU offers little benefit compared to scheduling more prominent in-state teams like UVA or Va Tech for increased ticket sales and viewership.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I had to google who JMU was. And then, I only recalled who they were because of how well they played football last season. I'm not saying we shouldn't schedule them, I just feel there are other schools closer with better name recognition with the same/more benefits of playing JMU.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Let’s play them in basketball
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am I had to google who JMU was. And then, I only recalled who they were because of how well they played football last season. I'm not saying we shouldn't schedule them, I just feel there are other schools closer with better name recognition with the same/more benefits of playing JMU.
They’ve won multiple national championships at the FCS level, and would have whooped us throughout the 2010’s despite being an FCS team. Yes we’ve never lost to an FCS, but we’ve never played one close to that level. To give you an example, NDSU, the powerhouse FCS team at that time, had a winning record against ranked FBS foes playing them almost exclusively on the road.

JMU has better name recognition than most of the schools that joined the AAC last year. They would have beaten the Wave in 2023, particularly later in the season. They beat Sumrall both times they’ve faced him. They could argue that they were the best G5 over the past two seasons, their first in FBS. I’m not saying they would win the argument but it can be made, no doubt.

With all due respect, Steve, if you don’t know who JMU is, you don’t know much about G5 football.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 am Let’s play them in basketball
Hunter will never schedule an OOC game that we couldn’t win. They opened the season crushing Sparty in East Lansing and closed it getting the crap beat out of them by a Duke team that played it’s best game in the Scheyer era.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:34 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 am Let’s play them in basketball
Hunter will never schedule an OOC game that we couldn’t win. They opened the season crushing Sparty in East Lansing and closed it getting the crap beat out of them by a Duke team that played it’s best game in the Scheyer era.
Right. That’s another reason why he needs to go.
The NonConf schedule is awful. We need to copy Memphis in scheduling non-conference games.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JMU, Harrisonburg VA...population 100,000, TV market share, number 175...U would have to factor in if JMU has any influence on the Baltimore - DC market
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 pm JMU, Harrisonburg VA...population 100,000, TV market share, number 175...U would have to factor in if JMU has any influence on the Baltimore - DC market
It's like 3-4 hours from that market.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:30 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am I had to google who JMU was. And then, I only recalled who they were because of how well they played football last season. I'm not saying we shouldn't schedule them, I just feel there are other schools closer with better name recognition with the same/more benefits of playing JMU.
They’ve won multiple national championships at the FCS level, and would have whooped us throughout the 2010’s despite being an FCS team. Yes we’ve never lost to an FCS, but we’ve never played one close to that level. To give you an example, NDSU, the powerhouse FCS team at that time, had a winning record against ranked FBS foes playing them almost exclusively on the road.

JMU has better name recognition than most of the schools that joined the AAC last year. They would have beaten the Wave in 2023, particularly later in the season. They beat Sumrall both times they’ve faced him. They could argue that they were the best G5 over the past two seasons, their first in FBS. I’m not saying they would win the argument but it can be made, no doubt.

With all due respect, Steve, if you don’t know who JMU is, you don’t know much about G5 football.
I definitely don't know much about FCS schools, and even schools new to the G5. I had to google who NDSU was. That said, I knew JMU as James Madison, and not their acronym. Even still, they just don't excite me. :-|
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am We play 4 OOC games/year. 2024 will be the first time I can remember playing 2 against a Pee program. We’ve played other SBC teams, why not the best? The risk is losing, and if we don’t want to play them for fear of losing, we’re saying we’re chickenshit. I don’t buy that.
We have played other SBC teams that are local (USM, ULL, ULM, USA, etc. But we haven’t played any SBC teams from the Mid-Atlantic. Frankly I’m not sure a JMU game makes a lot of sense for us. I think we should be aiming for 2 P5s, a regional G5, and an-state FCS.