Stockton Retires

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenRiver
Ripple

Most successful coach in Tulane athletics history.

For those with short memories, we made the WNIT 3 seasons in-a-row prior to this one and advanced in two of them. For comparison the Men's team hasn't made the NIT in 24 years. Where is the notion coming from that it is somehow easier for Tulane to compete on the women's side? I think ya'll have false expectations that were created by Stockton's 9 year run of making the NCAA tournament.

The names I've seen mentioned on this board include an assistant coach from Conference USA (Barbara Farris), an NAIA coach (Kellie Kennedy), and someone with possibly no coaching experience at all (Grace Daley). Perhaps these women could be very successful at Tulane, but looking at resumes, their experience isn't even close to Ron Hunter's when he was hired, and he's not exactly cutting down the nets right now.

anEngineer
Riptide

GreenRiver wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:53 pm Most successful coach in Tulane athletics history.

For those with short memories, we made the WNIT 3 seasons in-a-row prior to this one and advanced in two of them. For comparison the Men's team hasn't made the NIT in 24 years. Where is the notion coming from that it is somehow easier for Tulane to compete on the women's side? I think ya'll have false expectations that were created by Stockton's 9 year run of making the NCAA tournament.

The names I've seen mentioned on this board include an assistant coach from Conference USA (Barbara Farris), an NAIA coach (Kellie Kennedy), and someone with possibly no coaching experience at all (Grace Daley). Perhaps these women could be very successful at Tulane, but looking at resumes, their experience isn't even close to Ron Hunter's when he was hired, and he's not exactly cutting down the nets right now.
Good perspective. Lisa talked about how she got in at the right time and that, at that time, not all schools even had full time coaches. Some coaches had to teach part time. The point is that it's kind of like baseball where a lot of P schools didn't care before, but they all do now. It's a LOT harder to win and get into the tournaments.
Eaglewave
Swell

What do y’all think about Karl Smesko from FGCU? How about Tomeka Reed from Jackson State? Shawn Poppie from Chattanooga?
Ball Sumrall!
austxwave
High Tide

Smesko is far too successful to accept an AAC job. He'll get a P5 job. Reed is qualified but needs to show she could recruit to a school with higher academic requirements. Poppie has only 1 season of head coaching experience, but he would be a good fit based on his hometown of Crescent City....Illinois.
TerryD101
Low Tide

Pokie Chatman
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:24 pm What do y’all think about Karl Smesko from FGCU? How about Tomeka Reed from Jackson State? Shawn Poppie from Chattanooga?

I like Tomeka Reed. I liked what I saw from here vs LSU last year. Had she has what she needed, I believe she would have taken down the National Champion.