Tulane Beats #10 Memphis 81-79!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Sat behind 4 Star signee, Kameron Williams and his dad. Talked a lot with him, very polite and respectful kid. Dad is very proud and can’t wait for him to perform next season.

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:07 am
mbissanti wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:54 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:21 pm

Jan 11, 1983, we beat Memphis at Fogelman, 49-47. Vintage Ned Fowler game.
i was there
I was there too. Great night !That was when the gym had 5,000 seats. Plus you had people standing all along the railings up top.
Yep. Same here. I was two years out of school and kept my tickets midcourt sec A. Not sure if we had heat or not but we definitely didn’t have AC back then. Those were the days.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:44 am

i was there
I was there too. Great night !That was when the gym had 5,000 seats. Plus you had people standing all along the railings up top.
Yep. Same here. I was two years out of school and kept my tickets midcourt sec A. Not sure if we had heat or not but we definitely didn’t have AC back then. Those were the days.
During those balmy February afternoon games, the floor would sweat due to no AC. They would set up those giant fans in the corners to try (mostly unsuccessfully) to keep it dry. That would NEVER fly today.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:20 am

i was there
I remember a game against Memphis where Mardi Gras beads came raining down. Was that the Perry Clark era?
That was the Fowler era. Fun times. Miss that tradition. The beads would be thrown on our first made basket.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 am

During those balmy February afternoon games, the floor would sweat due to no AC. They would set up those giant fans in the corners to try (mostly unsuccessfully) to keep it dry. That would NEVER fly today.
Even the winter night games got pretty toasty when you packed 5,000+ into Fogelman. During the old City Series games in the early and mid 70's, Tulane Gym (as it was referred to then) was always jam packed and it felt like 90* and 90% humidity with all the body heat, and 5,000 fans raging away.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:52 am
anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 am
Even the winter night games got pretty toasty when you packed 5,000+ into Fogelman. During the old City Series games in the early and mid 70's, Tulane Gym (as it was referred to then) was always jam packed and it felt like 90* and 90% humidity with all the body heat, and 5,000 fans raging away.
Yes. For sure. They’d even open the outside doors and upstairs windows to get cool air in to combat the floor wetness and humidity. Crazy stuff.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Looks like all he was doing was patting him on the back after he'd gotten up off the floor.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:49 am Looks like all he was doing was patting him on the back after he'd gotten up off the floor.
Now this is a knockdown from court storming
Caitlin Clark collision
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:08 am Build a Wall...
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -upset-win
Weak assed reporting. He literally PATTED the guy on his back. Not a push at all. Ridiculous.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

So sad for Memphis. Lose to a team that has no shot at March Madness
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:40 pm So sad for Memphis. Lose to a team that has no shot at March Madness
We’ve beaten Memphis 3 straight a Fogelman. We just seem to have their number and matchup well skill wise. I don’t think they will win the conference this year. Probably NIT bound.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:16 pm
Ruski wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:40 pm So sad for Memphis. Lose to a team that has no shot at March Madness
We’ve beaten Memphis 3 straight a Fogelman. We just seem to have their number and matchup well skill wise. I don’t think they will win the conference this year. Probably NIT bound.
They’re still ranked in the top 20. They have a lot of quality non-con wins in the SEC, ACC. They’re KenPom 51 after a terrible week, but if they return to their non-con form they should be in the 30’s by tournament time which would make them a lock with their resume.
Show Me
Tsunami

In no way should our fans ever touch the opponent players after rushing the court. I know it was harmless but it gives the media a chance to spin it another way and get clicks and views. You touch the wrong player that’s upset and you might get punched back and that would start a riot. If you’re going to rush the court rush towards your home teams bench area. Sad how this story is being spun nationally and it distracts from our win. Many of the media outlets are picking up on it.
hullabaloo
Ripple

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:01 pm
hullabaloo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:48 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:40 pm

We will pay the price on Sunday. They will probably run us out of the gym, like they did at the end of last season.
You're a real genius!
Just playing the odds of our poorly coached team and last embarrassing outing against Memphis. You’re obviously easily suckered by one game. Watch how the rest of the season plays out. You can go back to lurking now.
So you didn't play the odds that before yesterday, we had beaten them 3 times in the past 2 seasons, including a regular season sweep last year?

Seems like you were the one obviously suckered by one game - and you said as much. "They will probably run us out of the gym, like they did at the end of last season." Isn't that what you said? Focused on one game, not the past 3 in a row now that we have beaten them in Devlin?

We shall see how the rest of the season plays out. Glad the Wave pulled it out yesterday.
puffy
Surge

i was there
I texted my Aron roommates this at the beginning of the game:

The worst things they did was install AC and replaced the aluminum benches in the student section. It's too comfortable and too quiet in here :lol:

If I recall correctly, AC was installed during the Shawn Finney tenure.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Court storming comparisons:
Our sellout was approx 3,300 fans and whereas Ohio St vs Iowa WWB game had 18,660 fans. So naturally the risk was higher for injury with those numbers storming the court.
After No. 18 Ohio State upset No. 2 Iowa 100-92 in overtime, Clark collided with one of Ohio State’s record-breaking 18,660 fans in attendance at the Schottenstein Center as Buckeyes fans stormed the court to celebrate.
When Tulane FB played at Ohio St a few of us GB’s that made the trip went into that gym to watch a pep rally for Ohio St. They probably allowed 25K in there for the rally. It was insanely packed that day. Their band played on the court as the team walked through here’s a pic I took of the rally inside. Probably holds close to what Yulman really holds.
I wouldn’t want to be in there with a sellout crowd storming that floor.

Tulane Class of 1981
GreenRiver
Ripple

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:47 am Court storming comparisons:
Our sellout was approx 3,300 fans and whereas Ohio St vs Iowa WWB game had 18,660 fans. So naturally the risk was higher for injury with those numbers storming the court.
After No. 18 Ohio State upset No. 2 Iowa 100-92 in overtime, Clark collided with one of Ohio State’s record-breaking 18,660 fans in attendance at the Schottenstein Center as Buckeyes fans stormed the court to celebrate.
When Tulane FB played at Ohio St a few of us GB’s that made the trip went into that gym to watch a pep rally for Ohio St. They probably allowed 25K in there for the rally. It was insanely packed that day. Their band played on the court as the team walked through here’s a pic I took of the rally inside. Probably holds close to what Yulman really holds.

TPSTulane, I'm glad you were able to attend the skull session at Ohio State! The gym in the picture is actually the old St. John arena, which held a little over 13k when it was used for basketball games. The basketball teams moved the Value City Arena in 1998. There were 18,660 on hand for the women's game vs. Iowa. Over 5,000 more than the old arena's capacity! St John is now used almost exclusively by the band for the skull sessions before the football games. They have another arena used for volleyball, wrestling, fencing, etc. I always liked the atmosphere in St John, much better than Value City arena. As much as people like to dump on Devlin field house, it has charm and can provide a true home court advantage. That's something many schools have traded away when moving to new facilities.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenRiver wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:47 am Court storming comparisons:

TPSTulane, I'm glad you were able to attend the skull session at Ohio State! The gym in the picture is actually the old St. John arena, which held a little over 13k when it was used for basketball games. The basketball teams moved the Value City Arena in 1998. There were 18,660 on hand for the women's game vs. Iowa. Over 5,000 more than the old arena's capacity! St John is now used almost exclusively by the band for the skull sessions before the football games. They have another arena used for volleyball, wrestling, fencing, etc. I always liked the atmosphere in St John, much better than Value City arena. As much as people like to dump on Devlin field house, it has charm and can provide a true home court advantage. That's something many schools have traded away when moving to new facilities.
Wow. Thanks for that info!
Very cozy place similar in fact as you said to Delvin.
Not a bad seat in there. .
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

hullabaloo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:18 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:01 pm
hullabaloo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:48 pm
You're a real genius!
Just playing the odds of our poorly coached team and last embarrassing outing against Memphis. You’re obviously easily suckered by one game. Watch how the rest of the season plays out. You can go back to lurking now.
So you didn't play the odds that before yesterday, we had beaten them 3 times in the past 2 seasons, including a regular season sweep last year?

Seems like you were the one obviously suckered by one game - and you said as much. "They will probably run us out of the gym, like they did at the end of last season." Isn't that what you said? Focused on one game, not the past 3 in a row now that we have beaten them in Devlin?

We shall see how the rest of the season plays out. Glad the Wave pulled it out yesterday.
The odds are based on this season's poor performances against even average teams and Memphis looking to bounce back from their upset loss to USF-- both which portended that we would be run out of the gym like last season's finale disaster. So no, I'm not basing my view on one game--this year or last year, as you have. I'm basing it on what we are as a team this season. It will be great if we can have a strong finish to the season--but alas that's a long shot as the six players we typically play are likely to wear out like we saw last year.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

BTW, Caitlin Clark totally flopped and played the victim role after that collision. She should have watched her surroundings better.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:59 am BTW, Caitlin Clark totally flopped and played the victim role after that collision. She should have watched her surroundings better.
BS. Players should be able to walk off the floor without getting run into and taunted by home-court fans in her face. You must have an axe to grind against Caitlin Clark to make such a ridiculous statement. Playing the victim? She had the wind knocked out of her when she was knocked to the floor as she started to turn and run for the locker room. It should have never happened.

You clearly didn't see the post-game press conference where she congratulated OSU, discussed what a thrill it was to play in front of 18K fans, and how cool it was for the students and OSU players to have the fans storm the court. Your assessment could not be further from the truth. I'm not a Caitlin Clark or even a women's basketball fan, but saying she flopped and played the victim role is just wrong and pointless.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ca ... r-BB1h7Tpn
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wow. We even get a mention in the LSU WBB article

Kim Mulkey has advice for LSU fans thinking about storming court after South Carolina game
https://www.nola.com/sports/lsu/kim-mul ... fff16.html
And on the men's side, Tulane fans stormed the court after beating No. 10 Memphis on Sunday. Green Wave coach Ron Hunter said after the game that he understood the excitement, but he isn't fond of court-storming. Tulane later issued a statement that condemned the behavior of one fan who pushed Memphis forward David Jones in the back amidst the celebration.

“I want everybody to scream and holler,” Mulkey said, “but I don’t want anyone running out on the floor like we just won a national championship.”
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

All the positives from winning this game Sunday were offset by a loss Weds to the worst team in the league. The inability to box out cost us another game and ultimately our ticket to the NCAA tournament. Way too much talent on this team to be sitting home watching less-talented but better-coached squads playing March Madness.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V