Sumrall Era Begins

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
YulkeithBrownFan
Ripple

Good article here on wave after wave on Sumralls unbelievable recruiting run.

http://waveaftergreenwave.com/2024/01/1 ... n-sumrall/

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:46 pm
goes to back to my "P" business format
Proper Prior Preperation, Prevents, Pizz Poor Performance.....Coach has my permission to put up placards in the training facilites that quote it
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dupergreenie
Surge

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:55 am Can CJS make this program into a Miami type program from the 80s? That school was a small private school in a major market floundering for a long time before Howard Schnellenberger took over.
I don't think CJS will be at Tulane long enough to become the next Miami. However that is OK because if he gets picked up by a P(whatever) school it will mean we had continued success and will be attractive enough to hire the next CJS.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:38 pm
greenie78 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:55 am Can CJS make this program into a Miami type program from the 80s? That school was a small private school in a major market floundering for a long time before Howard Schnellenberger took over.
I don't think CJS will be at Tulane long enough to become the next Miami. However that is OK because if he gets picked up by a P(whatever) school it will mean we had continued success and will be attractive enough to hire the next CJS.
I agree. And that's all we can ask for is to keep making good hires.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dupergreenie
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:09 pm
Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:38 pm
I agree. And that's all we can ask for is to keep making good hires.
Right. If CJS leaves the program in better shape (or the same shape we are currently in) you can't be mad at him leaving. I think the new AD knows and understands that. Tulane can't be afraid to hire coaches every couple of years. Eventually you will hit on a coach who is successful and wants to stay.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. It's what we have said all along- hire the best coach and don't take into consideration how long he will stay. After decades of saying that they finally listened. Hopefully they continue to listen on that subject. Tulane is a stepping stone. Accept it and just make the best hire.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

The problem with turning over even winning coaches is that they take a number of star players with them. See Arizona. The turnover can devastate a program.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Or you can get a coach like Sumrall that ups the talent level. So no you never consider if a coach is going to stay or not. if you do you won't have to worry about him taking players with him when he's fired.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dupergreenie
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:22 pm The problem with turning over even winning coaches is that they take a number of star players with them. See Arizona. The turnover can devastate a program.
You convinced me....

Let's start a gofundme and buy out Sumralls contract and let's rehire Chris Scelfo. Maybe Sam can bring a large king cake to the press conference and everyone who attends it can get a decent size piece.
anEngineer
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:22 pm The problem with turning over even winning coaches is that they take a number of star players with them. See Arizona. The turnover can devastate a program.
The difference is that we'll be able to hire coaches who bring quality players to fill those holes. In the past, we were just left with a bunch of holes and a coach who no one knew or wanted to play for.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jon Sumrall on Kaare Johnson’s radio show today. The Sumrall segment begins around 31:00

Here were the main talking points:
  • The first team workout was today.
  • Coach is unable to discuss specifics about the new recruits until they have begun attending class. He will have a full press conference on Feb 7 when entire recruitment class is announced. Approximately 17-18 new guys starting school today. There are still a couple of HS players that are uncommitted that are possibles.
  • Coach S indicated that we are not done recruiting. Expect an OL announcement in the next day or two.
  • In the Apr-May portal window, expect 1-2 more guys including an edge rusher and a pass rusher.
  • There are four things that make it easy to sell NOLA Tulane: 1)Winning; 2)Chance to play; 3)Academics; 4)NOLA culture
  • Tulane is “big time” football. His staff wants to build a ‘monster’. He didn’t come here to be mediocre. He expects to win every game we play.
  • Coach voiced his gratitude for FTW. He said that in this new world of NIL coaching staffs must either adapt or die.
greenie78
Riptide

Well, we recovered well after Fritz left. Fortunately, he left early enough to hire someone like Sumrall. We will be in the same predicament soon again assuming Sumrall keeps winning.
Greeniegb
Swell

Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:40 pm
You convinced me....

Let's start a gofundme and buy out Sumralls contract and let's rehire Chris Scelfo. Maybe Sam can bring a large king cake to the press conference and everyone who attends it can get a decent size piece.
Sick of hearing some of you thinking you are God and can predict the future. Live in the moment, no one knows the future, Sumrall is here minimum 2-3 years, He is a young coach will have plenty of time to move, he could easily stay 5 years and build his stock into the level of a Saban. Then make a move or just wants to create a dynasty here. Why do you like to waste your time on what if's get a freaken life, what if you die tomorrow, that is how you guys' sound!!! Roll Wave!!!
Dupergreenie
Surge

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm
You convinced me....

Sick of hearing some of you thinking you are God and can predict the future. Live in the moment, no one knows the future, Sumrall is here minimum 2-3 years, He is a young coach will have plenty of time to move, he could easily stay 5 years and build his stock into the level of a Saban. Then make a move or just wants to create a dynasty here. Why do you like to waste your time on what if's get a freaken life, what if you die tomorrow, that is how you guys' sound!!! Roll Wave!!!
I hope this was directed Jax and not me.... because I know Sam and that would mean no king cake for you at the presser.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:03 pm

Jon Sumrall on Kaare Johnson’s radio show today. The Sumrall segment begins around 31:00

• Coach is unable to discuss specifics about the new recruits until they have begun attending class. He will have a full press conference on Feb 7 when entire recruitment class is announced. Approximately 17-18 new guys starting school today. There are still a couple of HS players that are uncommitted that are possibles.
  • Coach S indicated that we are not done recruiting. Expect an OL announcement in the next day or two.
  • In the Apr-May portal window, expect 1-2 more guys including an edge rusher and a pass rusher.
  • There are four things that make it easy to sell NOLA Tulane: 1)Winning; 2)Chance to play; 3)Academics; 4)NOLA culture
  • Tulane is “big time” football. His staff wants to build a ‘monster’. He didn’t come here to be mediocre. He expects to win every game we play.
  • Coach voiced his gratitude for FTW. He said that in this new world of NIL coaching staffs must either adapt or die.
Thanks for that summary.
Dupergreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:37 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:03 pm

Thanks for that summary.
Well Kaare Johnson asked CJS if he could talk about commits(high school and transfer) CJS said no not until they are on campus and then Johnson proceeded to ask about the incoming players. Tulane might want to keep CJS from that show.
Jaxwave
Swell

I had hoped you guys had reading comprehension as early as first grade but it appears not. My post was stating a fact about the state of the NCAA in this transfer and NIL. era. I was not predicting or even implying that I expected Tulane to be in this situation with Coach Sumrall.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm
You convinced me....

Wow!! Mr. Crystal Ball has thrown his crystal ball out the window, and appears to be finally joining us in the present. Welcome, gbg.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenphantom
Swell

Appreciate the summary of the Kaare segment. Very exciting things in the works. I'm not fond of people referring to Coach Sumrall as CJS. Reminds me of Curtis Johnson and I feel a small dagger piercing my heart.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 pm I had hoped you guys had reading comprehension as early as first grade but it appears not. My post was stating a fact about the state of the NCAA in this transfer and NIL. era. I was not predicting or even implying that I expected Tulane to be in this situation with Coach Sumrall.
We hoped you had the writing skills of at least a first grader.
Jaxwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:50 am
Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 pm I had hoped you guys had reading comprehension as early as first grade but it appears not. My post was stating a fact about the state of the NCAA in this transfer and NIL. era. I was not predicting or even implying that I expected Tulane to be in this situation with Coach Sumrall.
We hoped you had the writing skills of at least a first grader.
I will admit I’m more a math guy than an English guy.
1989alum
Low Tide

Perhaps it has already been posted but maybe Blake Baker will be ready to come home if Sumrall moves on in a few years and the Tiger defense makes big strides. I am all for hiring the next shit hot coach and let Tulane become known as a great place for a developing coach to hone their skills. Roll Wave!
Bigschtick
Riptide

greenphantom wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:38 am Appreciate the summary of the Kaare segment. Very exciting things in the works. I'm not fond of people referring to Coach Sumrall as CJS. Reminds me of Curtis Johnson and I feel a small dagger piercing my heart.
Agreed, its Coach Sumrall and please stop the he will be leaving here nonsense. He is here! Enjoy it and please stop the he will be successful and he will leave talk.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

1989alum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:46 am Perhaps it has already been posted but maybe Blake Baker will be ready to come home if Sumrall moves on in a few years and the Tiger defense makes big strides. I am all for hiring the next shit hot coach and let Tulane become known as a great place for a developing coach to hone their skills. Roll Wave!
Big difference between Sumrall and Baker at this point. Sumrall had two successful seasons as a HC at a similarly situated school. Baker has not had HC experience. He'll need to leave LSU and get that to deserve the job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 am
1989alum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:46 am Perhaps it has already been posted but maybe Blake Baker will be ready to come home if Sumrall moves on in a few years and the Tiger defense makes big strides. I am all for hiring the next shit hot coach and let Tulane become known as a great place for a developing coach to hone their skills. Roll Wave!
Big difference between Sumrall and Baker at this point. Sumrall had two successful seasons as a HC at a similarly situated school. Baker has not had HC experience. He'll need to leave LSU and get that to deserve the job.
If he leaves LSU and is successful as a HC, his next job is likely to be with a P program. His trajectory is different than Coach Sumrall's because he's a highly sought-after Coordinator making record money at a top program. He already interviewed for the Tulane HC job and didn't get it. It's either his next job or it won't ever be his job.

And I agree with others who dislike calling Coach Sumrall "CJS." Call him Coach, Sumrall, but CJS just doesn't seem right and sounds too much like Curtis Johnson. And Coach Sumrall will be the next HC at Kentucky. If that happens in a couple of years, Blake Baker would be a very fine candidate for our HC job. If Sumrall is here longer, it's likely that Baker is already a HC and won't be interested.

Getting back to the present, not sure if all this has been posted in this thread or elsewhere, but McClesky is staying on, Brock Hays will coach RB's and Bam Hardmon (his name alone makes me want to run through a wall!) is our run game coordinator and outside linebackers coach.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V