Sumrall Era Begins

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He has hired his DC, LB coaches and a GM:

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... es-land-gm

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That news originally came out a day or two ago. I'm just hoping he doesn't decide to keep Slade as the OC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Tulane1111
High Tide

Slade may be the La connection as well. Is his brother a hs coach? Thought i heard an announcer say that he scouted and found some of our defensive players.

Good for continuity, but it seems OC is minor issue compared to loading up on QBs.
TerryD101
Ripple

I don't like Slade as a OC. All season we were predictable. Time to clean house, but don't just bring in everyone from Troy.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here was the first mention of it 6 days ago. It also mentions the strength coach, whom Kurt Hester not only endorsed but actually introduced to the team himself.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No mention of the other LB coach or the GM there. So no need for the snark other than your obsession with me.

The clear point of this thread is that the breaking point has come and it is now all Sumrall's show. Good way to move on from what we've been through the last month.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Reinventing Troy doesn’t sound sttractivey
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:57 pm No mention of the other LB coach or the GM there. So no need for the snark other than your obsession with me.

The clear point of this thread is that the breaking point has come and it is now all Sumrall's show. Good way to move on from what we've been through the last month.
Not there, but another article on 247 mentioned Cole Heard the GM as part of the deal three days ago. I just pulled the first thing I could find to show it wasn't breaking news. But yes, its all Sumrall's show now. And he's already got offers going out the last two days.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Oh Brother wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:59 pm Reinventing Troy doesn’t sound sttractivey
Why are you reinventing Troy? Obviously, his coaches do a good job of developing talent, because they took a school that had 3 consecutive 5 wins seasons and won 23 games in two years. They'll get better players just by recruiting to a better school. We'll be fine.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:04 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:57 pm No mention of the other LB coach or the GM there. So no need for the snark other than your obsession with me.

Not there, but another article on 247 mentioned Cole Heard the GM as part of the deal three days ago. I just pulled the first thing I could find to show it wasn't breaking news. But yes, its all Sumrall's show now. And he's already got offers going out the last two days.
Never said it was breaking news. it is a breaking point though and a good place to put all that he is doing to put things together for next season. Others clearly saw that but then they aren't obsessed with me as you are.
RobertM320
Green Wave

My original post was only making reference that it wasn't the "scoop" Football Scoop implied it was. Sorry you're so thin skinned that you think everyone is trying to get you.

And yes, it IS good to have one place to put all this together.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yet it did have new information. Never said everyone was trying to get me. Just you. And you always fail and come back for more misery. LOL.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:05 pm
Oh Brother wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:59 pm Reinventing Troy doesn’t sound sttractivey
Why are you reinventing Troy? Obviously, his coaches do a good job of developing talent, because they took a school that had 3 consecutive 5 wins seasons and won 23 games in two years. They'll get better players just by recruiting to a better school. We'll be fine.
Quite true. They did in one year, what it took Willie six years to do. Of course, they didn't have to pick up the pieces after the Cowen/Dickson Error.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

I hope he snags the offensive coordinator from App St.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete
Riptide

With more than two weeks to get his coaches locked in it appears that Sumrall has been unable to hire any coach not employed by Troy .

Willie brought all of his Georgia Southern coaches with him and the results were disastrous .

Sumrall needs some fresh blood in his system .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 am With more than two weeks to get his coaches locked in it appears that Sumrall has been unable to hire any coach not employed by Troy .

Willie brought all of his Georgia Southern coaches with him and the results were disastrous .

He said he wasn’t going to rush it. He was going to
take his time to get it done. He’s probably got multiple applications for each position. The bowl season still happening so you’ll see some activity once that’s concluded.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Forever TU
Surge

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 am With more than two weeks to get his coaches locked in it appears that Sumrall has been unable to hire any coach not employed by Troy .

Comparing Georgia Southern coaches to Troy is stupid. That was 8 years ago lol. What gives you the idea CJS has to change what worked well at Troy? We just hired Joe Craddock who had Troy as one of the top offenses in all of FBS.

GreenLantern
Riptide

The majority of contributors to the Troy football forum had a very low opinion of Craddock... similar to the view most here had of Slade Nagle.
Forever TU
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:27 pm The majority of contributors to the Troy football forum had a very low opinion of Craddock... similar to the view most here had of Slade Nagle.
So what? Honestly. He had a top offense and will have more to work with here. I trust Sumrall over fan forums but that’s just me.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Red Flag , Sumrall had better be a better recruiter of players than he is of assistant coaches . Mostly very negative opinions of Craddock .

I can not see us recruiting high three or an occasional four star player with this group of coaches .

Let's hope for miracles .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Nagle had our offense rated much higher than Craddock's 33rd rated offense .

Not a good sign that every hire has been from a single program Sumrall lead .
Pepper
Swell

What team fans likes their OC?
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Greeniegb
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:36 pm Red Flag , Sumrall had better be a better recruiter of players than he is of assistant coaches . Mostly very negative opinions of Craddock .

I can not see us recruiting high three or an occasional four star player with this group of coaches .

Let's hope for miracles .
[b]Huge Red Flag a coach that is one or Two and out, either he is not performing or he is a mover for better opportunities.
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2010–2011 Briarwood Christian HS (AL) (OC/QB)
2012 Clemson (player dev.)
2013–2014 Clemson (GA)
2015–2017 SMU (OC/QB)
2018–2019 Arkansas (OC/QB)
2020–2021 UAB (TE)
2022–2023 Troy (OC/QB)
2024-present Tulane (OC/QB)[/b]

NOTE: Why go as OC/QB coach at Arkansas to Tight end coach at UAB??? Does not look good!!!
Last edited by Greeniegb on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !