FOOTBALL TRANSFER PORTAL 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wow!

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

What a day on the recruiting trails for Tulane!

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TerryD101
Ripple

What a day to be a Tulane fan! We are getting guys that have offers from big time schools. This staff is killing it. Willie Who?
MicMan
Swell

ROLL WAVE
TURVS71
Swell

Kind of makes you wonder why Willie didn’t have this success. Perhaps his age was a factor.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

This is a message I received today. I'd rather not say who it was from, but they're in the know.

"...for the kids we are getting, NIL is the 2nd or 3rd consideration. They want to be at Tulane, unlike most of these other schools that are in bidding wars. I think the fact that we do not do that is attractive to them. Sumrall is authentic in a way that Fritz was not and that matters."
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

What an amazing day!!!!
greenie78
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:59 pm Kind of makes you wonder why Willie didn’t have this success. Perhaps his age was a factor.
Willie was an old-school coach. Taught alot of good things like tackling, discipline.
greenphantom
Swell

I read Lewis is enrolling early and starting classes tomorrow.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

What an incredible performance by coach Dumrall and staff! Hope the big donors will reward them with what they need. Biggest objective now must be to break into P-4 or whatever number of P’s there are now.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:04 pm I can hear the ticket prices increasing now!😎🌊
Glad I already bought my season tix for next year.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:59 pm Kind of makes you wonder why Willie didn’t have this success. Perhaps his age was a factor.
I think so. The energy and enthusiasm level of Sumrall is contagious, and may well be a function of age--as well as personality.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:49 pm What a day on the recruiting trails for Tulane!

Thompson:: 3 # Star transfer 28th ranked Portal Quarterback 3-year backup like Horton, Sumrall said they both will compete. Look facts you and others did not want to hear Hortons ratings out of high school by Rivals and 247 Sports or his two State Championships, so to be fair they both were 3-year backups in college. Now the competition begins!!! Sumrall quoted allegiance is to players here Oregon went into the Portal 3 times for quarterbacks not once did Thompson become the starter. He will be competing again.

More facts: Thompson was 4 Star by Rivals and 247 Sports, 5 Star by ESPN, composite 4 star in high school.
Greeniegb
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:16 pm This is a message I received today. I'd rather not say who it was from, but they're in the know.

"...for the kids we are getting, NIL is the 2nd or 3rd consideration. They want to be at Tulane, unlike most of these other schools that are in bidding wars. I think the fact that we do not do that is attractive to them. Sumrall is authentic in a way that Fritz was not and that matters."
Trying to tell you guys, the culture here will continue with players that want to be here the family atmosphere Coach Fritz created, Williams from USC got a taste of it in the Cotton Bowl and wants in!!! NIL is overrated we don't want to be a Colorado we will do it the Tulane way, teamwork and commitment. Players spend so much time together they do not want to be around selfish players, they like the team atmosphere pulling to make each other better. Our scholarship alone is worth 50+ thousand a year in itself!!!
anEngineer
Riptide

I keep thinking back to Tyler Grubbs talking about something special going on at Tulane and wanting to be a part of it. Most of us here are a good bit older than 20 and maybe there is something going on with a significant number of 20-year-old athletes that schools like Tulane appeal to. Maybe we're in the right place for a change.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:16 pm This is a message I received today. I'd rather not say who it was from, but they're in the know.

Except for the fact that we outbid at least one P5 for Ty Thompson, and it's very likely that Mario Williams signing involved NIL money as well. I post this because Tulane, unlike schools without nearly the NIL resources available. DOES in fact offer NIL money to players coming in through the portal. Many G5's only use NIL money to retain players already on the roster.

I'm thankful we're in a position to have the NIL money available. Thank Dannen for being ahead of the curve on NIL, even though few here want to thank him for anything at all.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:59 am

Except for the fact that we outbid at least one P5 for Ty Thompson, and it's very likely that Mario Williams signing involved NIL money as well. I post this because Tulane, unlike schools without nearly the NIL resources available. DOES in fact offer NIL money to players coming in through the portal. Many G5's only use NIL money to retain players already on the roster.

I'm thankful we're in a position to have the NIL money available. Thank Dannen for being ahead of the curve on NIL, even though few here want to thank him for anything at all.
D, he didn't say NIL wasn't a consideration, and didn't say they didn't pay NIL. He said it wasn't the PRIMARY consideration. This came DIRECTLY from one of the FTW Collective guys. And we also don't know that we OUTBID a P5 for Thompson. He may have accepted a lesser amount to come here because he liked what he sees in Sumrall. I'm sure the offer was competitive.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:55 am D, he didn't say NIL wasn't a consideration, and didn't say they didn't pay NIL. He said it wasn't the PRIMARY consideration. This came DIRECTLY from one of the FTW Collective guys. And we also don't know that we OUTBID a P5 for Thompson. He may have accepted a lesser amount to come here because he liked what he sees in Sumrall. I'm sure the offer was competitive.
Oregon State fans seem to think they could "only" offer $20k to Thompson and feel outraged they lost out on him to Tulane who offered $100k+. I understand your post and what your FTW contact is trying to say. But know that there are other very competitive schools without the resources to offer NIL money to portal transfers.

Question: Do you think we would have had such a great day yesterday if we offered no NIL money at all to incoming portal transfers?

I'm not saying these aren't great kids, and don't fit the family environment Fritz created and Sumrall wants to continue to cultivate. I'm just saying let's not fool ourselves into thinking that NIL money hasn't benefitted our program, it's been a huge factor in our recent success.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I 100% agree that NIL money has benefitted us tremendously. I was just pointing out that we're not getting these guys due to strictly money, because if that was the case, we'd lose out to P5s most of the time. I saw that Oregon poster as well, but there's no way to know if his numbers were accurate or not.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I will say, yesterday's commits sure make the loss of Brazzell to the portal sting a lot less. And the 4* HS guy Lewis makes up for Lardarius Webb changing his mind.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just wondering, has there been any word on Kiland Harrison yet? He entered the portal, but I don't see where he found a place to land or that he withdrew and came back.
mbissanti
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am Just wondering, has there been any word on Kiland Harrison yet? He entered the portal, but I don't see where he found a place to land or that he withdrew and came back.
bailey, parent, harrison & liu still in portal. we only have these 4 sitting undecided
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

When is the last day someone in the portal can commit and start taking classes and be on campus with the team this semester?