Mike Aresco is retiring

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Post Reply
greenie78
Riptide
Posts: 2646
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline



User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

greenie78 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:00 am
Wow. I guess he did the best he could to keep the AAC at the top of the G5 chain. He got off the Titanic just in time with the current roster of teams he last added.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Some good things, some bad things have happened under his leadership. I'm not sorry to see him go. I feel sorry for the next commish who takes over a conference on a much different trajectory than the one Aresco inherited.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Memphis, Tulane, USF and maybe Rice are all that is left that has any value and I think Aresco probably sees that eventually happening.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25574
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

He'll be missed. He did a lot of good for the conference exposure and money wise. He promoted it well. Nothing he could do to keep those teams from leaving and he's stuck with what ESPN dished out though he made sure we kept our payment while the newbies got less. So we are in a better position to poach than we would be without him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1841
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:59 am Memphis, Tulane, USF and maybe Rice are all that is left that has any value and I think Aresco probably sees that eventually happening.
UTSA is quickly becoming the next UCF. FAU could quickly become the next Houston.

Not all is doom and gloom. We've watered down the conference for sure. But some of these programs are better than they appear.
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Ruski wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:24 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:59 am Memphis, Tulane, USF and maybe Rice are all that is left that has any value and I think Aresco probably sees that eventually happening.
UTSA is quickly becoming the next UCF. FAU could quickly become the next Houston.

Not all is doom and gloom. We've watered down the conference for sure. But some of these programs are better than they appear.
I agree that there are programs in the conference that can become something, but the P group is snobbish and they aren't letting anyone go from low G5 to P without a long audition. We are just lucky that the AAC was considered an appropriate stepping stone.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:30 pm
Ruski wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:24 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:59 am Memphis, Tulane, USF and maybe Rice are all that is left that has any value and I think Aresco probably sees that eventually happening.
UTSA is quickly becoming the next UCF. FAU could quickly become the next Houston.

Not all is doom and gloom. We've watered down the conference for sure. But some of these programs are better than they appear.
I agree that there are programs in the conference that can become something, but the P group is snobbish and they aren't letting anyone go from low G5 to P without a long audition. We are just lucky that the AAC was considered an appropriate stepping stone.
The problem is whether "power" status means that much outside of the SEC/B1G, as (1) the ACC going to lose some flagship programs sometime between now and 2036; (2) the PAC is only going to have two programs and is going to rebuild with MWC teams; and (3) the Big 12 has no clue what their financials will look like in 2031 given the consolidation elsewhere.

It seems like the immediate best option for Tulane would be to join whatever the PAC is going to look like, especially if the PAC draws the best from the AAC/MWC in order to form a national conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:49 pm The problem is whether "power" status means that much outside of the SEC/B1G, as (1) the ACC going to lose some flagship programs sometime between now and 2036; (2) the PAC is only going to have two programs and is going to rebuild with MWC teams; and (3) the Big 12 has no clue what their financials will look like in 2031 given the consolidation elsewhere.

It seems like the immediate best option for Tulane would be to join whatever the PAC is going to look like, especially if the PAC draws the best from the AAC/MWC in order to form a national conference.
I would still prefer to be part of the ACC even if they lost 3 or 4 than the MWC + Oregon State and Washington State. But we don't determine these things, I can only hope we're on the list when the time comes. We're not a shoo-in top-of-the-list candidate, just one of many wannabees.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:59 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:49 pm The problem is whether "power" status means that much outside of the SEC/B1G, as (1) the ACC going to lose some flagship programs sometime between now and 2036; (2) the PAC is only going to have two programs and is going to rebuild with MWC teams; and (3) the Big 12 has no clue what their financials will look like in 2031 given the consolidation elsewhere.

It seems like the immediate best option for Tulane would be to join whatever the PAC is going to look like, especially if the PAC draws the best from the AAC/MWC in order to form a national conference.
I would still prefer to be part of the ACC even if they lost 3 or 4 than the MWC + Oregon State and Washington State. But we don't determine these things, I can only hope we're on the list when the time comes. We're not a shoo-in top-of-the-list candidate, just one of many wannabees.
I don't care what it's called or what level it's referred to, playing schools like GA Tech, Miami, Virginia, Wake Forest, Syracuse, etc would be infinitely more interesting to everyone than what we are playing now.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:30 pm
I don't care what it's called or what level it's referred to, playing schools like GA Tech, Miami, Virginia, Wake Forest, Syracuse, etc would be infinitely more interesting to everyone than what we are playing now.
Twice in a day, we're on a roll! I agree 1000%

Imagine if it were Boise St, UNLV, San Diego State Fresno State, Air Force, Wyoming, Washington St, etc. I know when I watch games that end late I don't sleep for a while afterward, especially if it's an exciting game. From New Orleans to Wyoming would be a 7150' change in altitude and about 1200 miles in distance. Talk about a tough trip! Then if Hawaii makes the cut....
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Post Reply