Willie Fritz official to Houston

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to the timeline we have access thru 2025 to the CFP. As to the $20 million that is a cap. So you don't have to pay that much and many schools won't. As long as we have access to the CFP and NCAA basketball tourney then we can survive.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:54 am
arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:23 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:23 am

If Sumrall thought as poorly about Tulane as you state, he would never have taken the job. He was quite successful at Troy and obviously saw things at Tulane that made it attractive to move. Tulane was also very proactive to lure him away before anyone else could. At the point that Sumrall moves on, recent history would suggest that Tulane would seek out the best coach they could get and a quality coach would be interested.
He had no idea that Tulane was not prepared for 2025 after the lawsuits were settled. He had no idea Kelly would not be hired. He had no idea Tulane had no desire to pay to play. It is as simple as that, just connect the dots. He knows now.
Thanks for your insight. Had no idea you knew Coach Sumrall so well that he was willing to share his inner feelings with you so that you could share with us.
Your welcome
arkhou02
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:19 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:23 am He had no idea that Tulane was not prepared for 2025 after the lawsuits were settled. He had no idea Kelly would not be hired. He had no idea Tulane had no desire to pay to play. It is as simple as that, just connect the dots. He knows now.
I've been saying from the day he got here that he might not be here any longer than he was at Troy. But if he gets hired away, we're going to have a great couple of seasons. The fact is, Sumrall left a good G5 job for what he thought was a better one. The sky is falling on the entire G5; it's not just a black cloud over Tulane. Any G5 coach is going to aspire to be a P coach. Nobody knew how the lawsuits were going to play out nor does anyone know exactly what's going down in 2025. It's coming quickly, I prefer to see how it plays out over pissing into the wind.
I am not concerned about the entire G5. And standing by and watching the anti-trust unfold is foolish. It is what we have done forever. Time to act is now and several people have told we are not ready. Not even close to being ready. We need Tulane to take action now. If we don’t want to participate, please let us know now so people can hold on to their money.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:58 pm
And standing by and watching the anti-trust unfold is foolish. It is what we have done forever.
Please tell me what any G5, hell what any University did to prepare for the lawsuit settlements? What did Tulane not do that everyone else did because they're better universities than Tulane?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
arkhou02
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:38 pm
arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:58 pm
And standing by and watching the anti-trust unfold is foolish. It is what we have done forever.
Please tell me what any G5, hell what any University did to prepare for the lawsuit settlements? What did Tulane not do that everyone else did because they're better universities than Tulane?
Tell me what Tulane has done throughout their history from an athletic perspective to be a major player. And they knew 10 years ago what was coming. Mike Slive told the entire country. In the meantime, we win a Cotton Bowl and we don’t even capitalize. It is comical they are asking for NIL, athletic donations, and have no desire to compete at the highest level.

Harris is on record saying we are trying to figure out what level we will play given we will not attempt to pay $20M. We are already bowing out. I was hoping private equity would be an option, or the school itself would pay some of the freight. Not going to happen.

A school that prides itself on education has never been able to figure out the economics on athletics and the endowment windfall that would follow. I just cannot get on board with CUSA/Sunbelt/AAC. Just can’t.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Where did Harris say Tulane was not willing to pay $20 million? Not in anything I read, though I didn't see the podcasts he appeared in. What I've read is Tulane is considering options, like everyone else.

Also, I repeat the question since you haven't answered: What was Tulane supposed to do that they didn't or that our peers did to prepare for the NCAA Lawsuit settlement? Please don't pull a politician's response, again, asking a question to answer one.

Arkhou. you may be right, this may be the death knoll we've all seen coming for quite a while. I've seen it coming and been screaming about it for years, and the result has been being labeled a negative poster that doesn't like anything about Tulane. Nothing could be further from the truth. I started talking about blowing what I termed the Cotton Bowl dividend the same month that the Cotton Bowl was played!

The reason I'm down on Arkhou is, IMHO, he's making stuff up to complain about that isn't necessarily fact. There's no shortage of mistakes by the University and a track record of saying one thing while doing another concerning athletics. We don't need to read between the lines or jump to conclusions to have something to complain about. And the tone of his posts are like he's telling the rest of us to wake up, when most of us have been awake to the fact that Tulane isn't doing what needs to be done for decades. In the early 2010's Tulane was given a roadmap by the Big 12 and the admin/BOA ignored it. That's why the Big 12 is not interested in Tulane.

By the end of next year, we'll have our answers. It looks like we're being left behind; who would have ever thought? Certainly, nobody posted such nonsense in the past 5, 10, 20 years!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

There’s going to be a breakup between G5 and P4 once this contract expires in 2025. Separate playoff system. Arkhou is just forecasting the inevitable IMO. If we don’t get out ASAP we’ll be in a separate Division once this all settles out.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:59 am Where did Harris say Tulane was not willing to pay $20 million? Not in anything I read, though I didn't see the podcasts he appeared in. What I've read is Tulane is considering options, like everyone else.

Also, I repeat the question since you haven't answered: What was Tulane supposed to do that they didn't or that our peers did to prepare for the NCAA Lawsuit settlement? Please don't pull a politician's response, again, asking a question to answer one.

Arkhou. you may be right, this may be the death knoll we've all seen coming for quite a while. I've seen it coming and been screaming about it for years, and the result has been being labeled a negative poster that doesn't like anything about Tulane. Nothing could be further from the truth. I started talking about blowing what I termed the Cotton Bowl dividend the same month that the Cotton Bowl was played!

The reason I'm down on Arkhou is, IMHO, he's making stuff up to complain about that isn't necessarily fact. There's no shortage of mistakes by the University and a track record of saying one thing while doing another concerning athletics. We don't need to read between the lines or jump to conclusions to have something to complain about. And the tone of his posts are like he's telling the rest of us to wake up, when most of us have been awake to the fact that Tulane isn't doing what needs to be done for decades. In the early 2010's Tulane was given a roadmap by the Big 12 and the admin/BOA ignored it. That's why the Big 12 is not interested in Tulane.

By the end of next year, we'll have our answers. It looks like we're being left behind; who would have ever thought? Certainly, nobody posted such nonsense in the past 5, 10, 20 years!
I will leave the conversation. None of the stuff I have said is made up. Just trying to make our fans aware of what is going down. Your choice not to believe me is your prerogative. We will revert to who we were if something isn’t done now. Of course, I will continue to follow us from a distance. Old habits are hard to break. But I will not give anymore money to the university unless they play against the best. That will take a miracle, literally. And I will only post on here in the future minimally. I hope one day we will be having something happy to discuss. Roll Wave!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:51 am I will leave the conversation. None of the stuff I have said is made up. Just trying to make our fans aware of what is going down. Your choice not to believe me is your prerogative. We will revert to who we were if something isn’t done now. Of course, I will continue to follow us from a distance. Old habits are hard to break. But I will not give anymore money to the university unless they play against the best. That will take a miracle, literally. And I will only post on here in the future minimally. I hope one day we will be having something happy to discuss. Roll Wave!!!
Could you answer the two questions on your way out:
1. What should Tulane have done to prepare for the NCAA lawsuit settlement?
2. Where did Harris say Tulane flat out will not pay $20 million?

This isn't a matter of believing you or not because you are preaching to the choir. It's a matter of wanting to know the answers as those two questions are pertinent to what you've posted for about a month now.
arkhou02
Surge

I have spell it out over and over. Just go read the post and connect the dots. You will figure it out soon enough.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:18 pm I have spell it out over and over. Just go read the post and connect the dots. You will figure it out soon enough.
Nothing to figure out. I just want to know the answer to those two questions which you have not answered and I've now asked 3 times: 1. What should Tulane have done to be ready for the lawsuit settlement? 2. Where did Harris say Tulane won't pay $20 million. Just admit you don't have answers if you cannot answer those two questions.
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:41 am We get too emotional about coaches here. Outside of Alabama every college football job is a stepping stone to somewhere else or could be, even LSU and Notre Dame. Whether he was going to leave or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is the University did not fulfill promises made that would have elevated the football program as a whole and contributed greatly to continued sustained success. When a coach leaves you don't want them to be able to say they left because we didn't fulfill promises or obligations. That has happened far too often with coaches whenever we have had success.
+1, Jim Harbaugh, after winning a National Championship for his alma mater, Michigan, the first undisputed national title for the Wolverines since 1948, just bolted to coach the lowly Los Angeles Chargers of the National Football League? 🤔 I wonder what Michigan, with its 107,601-seat stadium, "did wrong"?

At least in hiring Jon Sumrall we have gotten passed our fetish for only hiring coaches "who will stay," a "philosophy" which resulted in a "no" to Lindy Infante in 1980 and a "no" to RichRod in 1998. Infante would have stayed about 4 to 5 years and left us a much better program; RichRod would have finished the Bowden Tulane football "renaissance" giving us 4 winning seasons in a row for the first time since maybe never, and stayed at least until 2,000 when Don Nehlen retired at West Virginia.

When Sumrall eventually does leave, nothing is forever, just as would have Infante and RichRod, he will leave us with more than we had the day before he arrived contrary to Scelfo & "Buffet" Bob Toledo who each departed with our fan base down to about 3,500?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

big12 Media preseason prediction poll has the willies of uh @
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/colle ... -this-fall
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

Willie was leaving regardless of whatever promises were fulfilled or not fulfilled. He was looking to leave for a P job every year and finally got the opportunity at UH. Every school is a stepping stone. Even coaches have left elite schools for NFL jobs. Sumrall will win and eventually leave for a power school where he can win long-term (he won't be as desperate as Willie).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:51 am Willie was leaving regardless of whatever promises were fulfilled or not fulfilled. He was looking to leave for a P job every year and finally got the opportunity at UH. Every school is a stepping stone. Even coaches have left elite schools for NFL jobs. Sumrall will win and eventually leave for a power school where he can win long-term (he won't be as desperate as Willie).
He really wasn’t looking to leave until they didn’t hire his pick for AD. Once they passed on Kortne then that all changed. I think he was done. Had he been offered the AD/HC job like Mack Brown I think he’d had stayed. Now with Jon Sumrall being hired I think we did pretty well replacing him. From what I’ve read Kortne was the guy behind his hiring as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're living in denial. Like greenie said he was looking to get out every year since he got here. Some half ass bubble wasn't going to keep him here. We had our one year where everything came together and now we have a coach that looks like he can raise the bar.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

Wish Houston was on our schedule this year. I still like Willie but I think we got an upgrade with Sumrall.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Willie rose to the top of the G5 coaches pecking chain. He was only leaving at the top. 🤣
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:51 am Willie rose to the top of the G5 coaches pecking chain. He was only leaving at the top. 🤣
Personally, I still don't think Willie's style will do well in the Big 12. And especially in the minds of Houston fans.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:59 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:51 am Willie rose to the top of the G5 coaches pecking chain. He was only leaving at the top. 🤣
Personally, I still don't think Willie's style will do well in the Big 12. And especially in the minds of Houston fans.
after one season of a cloud of dust "O".....the uh fans will be screaming for the return of John Jenkins and the "MAPO" system
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

I dunno...Fritz coached a Cotton Bowl win over the Heisman winner with his QB completing all of 9 passes.
greenphantom
Swell

MicMan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:21 pm I dunno...Fritz coached a Cotton Bowl win over the Heisman winner with his QB completing all of 9 passes.
Very true
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:21 pm I dunno...Fritz coached a Cotton Bowl win over the Heisman winner with his QB completing all of 9 passes.
point well taken.....and I wuz being facetious, because we know uh fans are not intelligent enuff to know the difference
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:13 am You're living in denial. Like greenie said he was looking to get out every year since he got here. Some half ass bubble wasn't going to keep him here. We had our one year where everything came together and now we have a coach that looks like he can raise the bar.
+1
greenphantom
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:33 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:13 am You're living in denial. Like greenie said he was looking to get out every year since he got here. Some half ass bubble wasn't going to keep him here. We had our one year where everything came together and now we have a coach that looks like he can raise the bar.
+1
Best not to quote Trollwave if you want to be taken seriously. Fritz did a great job and was happy to be here. That being said, I do think Sumrall has a higher ceiling but that's just a personal opinion..Hopefully it plays out.