Willie Fritz official to Houston

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

and Willie gets another million to kiss Fertitta as every day or any other body part he demand!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbissanti wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:50 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:38 am Brazzell started shinning long before Keys and Jackson got hurt. Read between the lines: He left for the money and prestige of playing on a MUCH bigger stage. Until we get out of this conference it’s likely to happen every year.
which goes back to the root cause of not being on big stage----poor facilities
Exactly.

As much as the last two seasons have bolstered our opportunity to get into a better conference the University's failure to upgrade facilities as the Big 12 laid out in the middle of the last decade crushes our hopes. Tulane shot itself in the foot by not being "P" ready when we were handed the road map to get there.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Another dig at Tulane

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
greenie78
Riptide

He can dig all he wants, but he sold the team out during the AAC championship game and didn't do much to help the offense/Pratt all season. Honestly, good riddance.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:12 pm Another dig at Tulane

Yes. But unlike Dannen he delivered and the administration didn’t.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:12 pm
I see your point, Tim, but don't think Fritz delivered so much as he lucked out with incredible leadership from Pratt, Williams, Haynesworth and Anderson. I think he (and Dannen) rode their coattails out of New Orleans. But you're right Dannen left a lot unfinished (and it can be argued started half-assed) though Fritz sold the team out and knew it during the post-game presser after the SMU debacle.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:13 pm
I see your point, Tim, but don't think Fritz delivered so much as he lucked out with incredible leadership from Pratt, Williams, Haynesworth and Anderson. I think he (and Dannen) rode their coattails out of New Orleans. But you're right Dannen left a lot unfinished (and it can be argued started half-assed) though Fritz sold the team out and knew it during the post-game presser after the SMU debacle.
Well he did recruit those guys and I think he wanted a few things and Tulane didn’t deliver. Just look what has been done since the Cotton Bowl win. Absolutely nothing. WF wanted to build on it but nothing got done here. If you listen closely to his comments he makes sure to take a dig at Tulane for not delivering.
I’ll agree with the SMU debacle. We looked completely unprepared and distracted. By then he knew he was a goner.
Tulane Class of 1981
WDWave
Trickle

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:18 pm
Well he did recruit those guys and I think he wanted a few things and Tulane didn’t deliver. Just look what has been done since the Cotton Bowl win. Absolutely nothing. WF wanted to build on it but nothing got done here. If you listen closely to his comments he makes sure to take a dig at Tulane for not delivering.
I’ll agree with the SMU debacle. We looked completely unprepared and distracted. By then he knew he was a goner.
This is on point. I dont blame Willie for leaving. This is on Tulane for not delivering on promises to him. Besides 2023 AAC championship, he gave it his all, Tulane did not. And I am glad he keeps mentioning it. The athletic dept needs to hear it and prevent this from repeating with sumrall or future coaches
greenie78
Riptide

He didn't give it all during the entire 2023 season. He screwed up the offense with how he managed the coaching situation and lucked out with an easy schedule post-Memphis win. He was leaving regardless getting an opportunity at a P4 school with more resources. He tried the leave the year before when talking with Georgia Tech.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WDWave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:14 pm

This is on point. I dont blame Willie for leaving. This is on Tulane for not delivering on promises to him. Besides 2023 AAC championship, he gave it his all, Tulane did not. And I am glad he keeps mentioning it. The athletic dept needs to hear it and prevent this from repeating with sumrall or future coaches
Absolutely. We actually had the one coach that was a perfect fit and would have stayed to the end had he just been given a few things that are long overdue. Sumrall needs to get what he needs. Tulane always trying to just get by and push things off. Tommy Bowden was promised an IPF but then he left and nothing got built.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:26 pm He didn't give it all during the entire 2023 season. He screwed up the offense with how he managed the coaching situation and lucked out with an easy schedule post-Memphis win. He was leaving regardless getting an opportunity at a P4 school with more resources. He tried the leave the year before when talking with Georgia Tech.
Yes on potential jobs but that was not due to Tulane’s broken promises. When you win the Cotton Bowl and finish in the Top 10 things need to happen. He delivered and Tulane didn’t. He probably got frustrated seeing Dannen bail out and his chosen candidate ignored. With all that said I believe Sumrall can deliver as well or better in time. But Tulane needs to do it’s part.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:27 pm
Absolutely. We actually had the one coach that was a perfect fit and would have stayed to the end had he just been given a few things that are long overdue. Sumrall needs to get what he needs. Tulane always trying to just get by and push things off. Tommy Bowden was promised an IPF but then he left and nothing got built.
He wasn't staying. He was trying to get out for a long time. He had a season in 2022 where everything just fell in place. He was going no matter what Tulane built. He wanted to be at a P school and he finally found a taker.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge

Sumrall will leave as soon as he can. He knows Tulane is terribly prepared for what is coming. The bubble will be a half-ass bubble. No football ops. And most of all no money to compete for players. The school has zero desire to fund any of this. Tulane athletics is a disaster. They had there chance. They knew this was coming. They did nothing about it. Once Sumrall is outta here, the shit show will return.
sader24
Tsunami

We get too emotional about coaches here. Outside of Alabama every college football job is a stepping stone to somewhere else or could be, even LSU and Notre Dame. Whether he was going to leave or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is the University did not fulfill promises made that would have elevated the football program as a whole and contributed greatly to continued sustained success. When a coach leaves you don't want them to be able to say they left because we didn't fulfill promises or obligations. That has happened far too often with coaches whenever we have had success.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:41 am We get too emotional about coaches here. Outside of Alabama every college football job is a stepping stone to somewhere else or could be, even LSU and Notre Dame. Whether he was going to leave or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is the University did not fulfill promises made that would have elevated the football program as a whole and contributed greatly to continued sustained success. When a coach leaves you don't want them to be able to say they left because we didn't fulfill promises or obligations. That has happened far too often with coaches whenever we have had success.
Well said. That’s the point I was trying to make.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:41 am We get too emotional about coaches here. Outside of Alabama every college football job is a stepping stone to somewhere else or could be, even LSU and Notre Dame. Whether he was going to leave or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is the University did not fulfill promises made that would have elevated the football program as a whole and contributed greatly to continued sustained success. When a coach leaves you don't want them to be able to say they left because we didn't fulfill promises or obligations. That has happened far too often with coaches whenever we have had success.
No doubt the important part is Tulane needing to do what they can to support the program so that it can be successful on a consistent basis. I was just answering the false claim that Willie was staying if we did build the bubble. We need better than the bubble and we need a football operations center. Yet we still have some that now want to say we only need NIL. NO- WE ABSOLUTELY NEED THE FACILITIES AS I HAVE SAID FOR YEARS.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:22 pm

He wasn't staying. He was trying to get out for a long time. He had a season in 2022 where everything just fell in place. He was going no matter what Tulane built. He wanted to be at a P school and he finally found a taker.
Dannen was trying to get out. WF was constantly being approached. Big difference. Like Sader said coaches are always on the move. I thought WF was our best chance to actually have a good coach retire here had Tulane just delivered on their end. Just my opinion. You think otherwise so that’s fine.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

arkhou02 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:30 pm Sumrall will leave as soon as he can. He knows Tulane is terribly prepared for what is coming. The bubble will be a half-ass bubble. No football ops. And most of all no money to compete for players. The school has zero desire to fund any of this. Tulane athletics is a disaster. They had there chance. They knew this was coming. They did nothing about it. Once Sumrall is outta here, the shit show will return.
If Sumrall thought as poorly about Tulane as you state, he would never have taken the job. He was quite successful at Troy and obviously saw things at Tulane that made it attractive to move. Tulane was also very proactive to lure him away before anyone else could. At the point that Sumrall moves on, recent history would suggest that Tulane would seek out the best coach they could get and a quality coach would be interested.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fritz was leaving as soon as he could get out. He didn't turn down GaTech, they pulled the offer when he wouldn't accept or announce until after the CCG. In 2023 he took the Houston job and his team learned of it before the CCG. He knew it affected the team's performance and was visibly upset during the post game press conference when asked about it. Whether or not the bubble was the last straw is meaningless; he wanted out and he was going to go whether it was to UH or elsewhere, a Pee was calling.
arkhou02
Surge

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:23 am
arkhou02 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:30 pm Sumrall will leave as soon as he can. He knows Tulane is terribly prepared for what is coming. The bubble will be a half-ass bubble. No football ops. And most of all no money to compete for players. The school has zero desire to fund any of this. Tulane athletics is a disaster. They had there chance. They knew this was coming. They did nothing about it. Once Sumrall is outta here, the shit show will return.
If Sumrall thought as poorly about Tulane as you state, he would never have taken the job. He was quite successful at Troy and obviously saw things at Tulane that made it attractive to move. Tulane was also very proactive to lure him away before anyone else could. At the point that Sumrall moves on, recent history would suggest that Tulane would seek out the best coach they could get and a quality coach would be interested.
He had no idea that Tulane was not prepared for 2025 after the lawsuits were settled. He had no idea Kelly would not be hired. He had no idea Tulane had no desire to pay to play. It is as simple as that, just connect the dots. He knows now.
anEngineer
Riptide

arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:23 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:23 am
He had no idea that Tulane was not prepared for 2025 after the lawsuits were settled. He had no idea Kelly would not be hired. He had no idea Tulane had no desire to pay to play. It is as simple as that, just connect the dots. He knows now.
Thanks for your insight. Had no idea you knew Coach Sumrall so well that he was willing to share his inner feelings with you so that you could share with us.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:18 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:22 pm
Dannen was trying to get out. WF was constantly being approached. Big difference. Like Sader said coaches are always on the move. I thought WF was our best chance to actually have a good coach retire here had Tulane just delivered on their end. Just my opinion. You think otherwise so that’s fine.
I don't know how anyone could think that since it was a yearly thing for him to be seeking other jobs. He even said when he got the Houston job that he wanted to coach at the P level. That's something Tulane couldn't offer. So no matter what Tulane did he was gone. Tulane still should have done it for the program. It also is needed if we are to have any chance at all at ever getting a P4 invite.
MicMan
Swell

No good coach has stayed at Tulane, from Clark Shaughnessy and Bernie Bierman to Mack Brown and Willie Fritz.

It's never been just about the money.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:13 am No good coach has stayed at Tulane, from Clark Shaughnessy and Bernie Bierman to Mack Brown and Willie Fritz.

It's never been just about the money.
Exactly! Tulane offered to match Clemson for Bowden and Houston for WF.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:23 am He had no idea that Tulane was not prepared for 2025 after the lawsuits were settled. He had no idea Kelly would not be hired. He had no idea Tulane had no desire to pay to play. It is as simple as that, just connect the dots. He knows now.
I've been saying from the day he got here that he might not be here any longer than he was at Troy. But if he gets hired away, we're going to have a great couple of seasons. The fact is, Sumrall left a good G5 job for what he thought was a better one. The sky is falling on the entire G5; it's not just a black cloud over Tulane. Any G5 coach is going to aspire to be a P coach. Nobody knew how the lawsuits were going to play out nor does anyone know exactly what's going down in 2025. It's coming quickly, I prefer to see how it plays out over pissing into the wind.