Willie Fritz official to Houston

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13236
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:57 pm Most likely Fritz intentionally lost the SMU game to assure that he would not have to be bothered with us anymore . Preparation and play calling .
You are accusing Coach Fritz of throwing a game. What an idiotic accusation. And quite frankly calling it idiotic is being kinder and gentler than the accusation calls for.


" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbissanti
Surge
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:13 pm
Location: Hill Country Texas
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:34 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:57 pm Most likely Fritz intentionally lost the SMU game to assure that he would not have to be bothered with us anymore . Preparation and play calling .
You are accusing Coach Fritz of throwing a game. What an idiotic accusation. And quite frankly calling it idiotic is being kinder and gentler than the accusation calls for.
+1. Big difference from having one foot out door being distraction and literally throwing the game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14488
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

mbissanti wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:44 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:34 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:57 pm Most likely Fritz intentionally lost the SMU game to assure that he would not have to be bothered with us anymore . Preparation and play calling .
You are accusing Coach Fritz of throwing a game. What an idiotic accusation. And quite frankly calling it idiotic is being kinder and gentler than the accusation calls for.
+1. Big difference from having one foot out door being distraction and literally throwing the game.
I do not think Fritz "threw the game"...however I do not think the team was properly prepared... I do think he agreed to the UH offer about 10 days prior to the game, and selected members of the complete staff knew of his decsion
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 2198
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Of course he did not "throw" the game BUT you have to believe that his mind and heart were not fully into the SMU game. Also, you know the locker room was rampant with talk and whispers and that had to affect game preparation. Unfortunately, IMO, the players and fans were shortchanged.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
User avatar
GreenLantern
Riptide
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:55 pm... I do think he agreed to the UH offer about 10 days prior to the game, and selected members of the complete staff knew of his decsion
I agree. Several in the UH fan forum said as much several days before the SMU game. Rumor was that meeting(s) had taken place in NOLA and that a verbal agreement had been reached the prior week. No one can know with certainty, but this is very consistent with everything that has happened since.
mbissanti
Surge
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:13 pm
Location: Hill Country Texas
Status: Offline

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:15 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:55 pm... I do think he agreed to the UH offer about 10 days prior to the game, and selected members of the complete staff knew of his decsion
I agree. Several in the UH fan forum said as much several days before the SMU game. Rumor was that meeting(s) had taken place in NOLA and that a verbal agreement had been reached the prior week. No one can know with certainty, but this is very consistent with everything that has happened since.
+1
Wave755
Tsunami
Posts: 6267
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:04 pm Of course he did not "throw" the game BUT you have to believe that his mind and heart were not fully into the SMU game. Also, you know the locker room was rampant with talk and whispers and that had to affect game preparation. Unfortunately, IMO, the players and fans were shortchanged.
+1, Alex Bauman is one of my favorite players forever & nobody "coached" him to drop that perfect pass in the end zone with seconds left. If caught we would still have been a long shot to win, but the Cotton Bowl shows, "you never say never." Rumor also had it UH agreed to let WF coach the New Year's 6 game if we defeated SMU. That being said, without a doubt a week full of rumors concerning his departure for UH did affect our play.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13236
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Did anyone else see Fritz get visably upset when players were asked in the post-game (CCG) press conference if the rumors about Fritz leaving had any effect on their prep or play? He even put his head down at one point, but tears were in his eyes when he picked it back up.

What people don't seem to believe is that Willie Fritz loved those players just as much as he did a year ago, maybe more. Fritz missed out on the GaTech job because he refused to announce it before the CCG. Tulane did NOTHING (but make promises after the fact that apparently were not kept) to change his mind. winwave, don't bother arguing this with me, Pratt among others said exactly that. He told the team he accepted a job but would not announce it until after the CCG out of respect for what they were accomplishing. He did not sign the contract and that left the door open for GaTech to pull the offer.

This time around he didn't tell the team and I think it wore on him.

MY PURE SPECULATION is that he believed his job search and talks with UH did negatively affect our Green Wave and he was upset at that. You can bash him all you want, and I have zero proof this is the case, but I'd rather believe he's a good man than judge him without the facts. That's just me.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Online

DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:05 pm Did anyone else see Fritz get visably upset when players were asked in the post-game (CCG) press conference if the rumors about Fritz leaving had any effect on their prep or play? He even put his head down at one point, but tears were in his eyes when he picked it back up.

What people don't seem to believe is that Willie Fritz loved those players just as much as he did a year ago, maybe more. Fritz missed out on the GaTech job because he refused to announce it before the CCG. Tulane did NOTHING (but make promises after the fact that apparently were not kept) to change his mind. winwave, don't bother arguing this with me, Pratt among others said exactly that. He told the team he accepted a job but would not announce it until after the CCG out of respect for what they were accomplishing. He did not sign the contract and that left the door open for GaTech to pull the offer.

This time around he didn't tell the team and I think it wore on him.

MY PURE SPECULATION is that he believed his job search and talks with UH did negatively affect our Green Wave and he was upset at that. You can bash him all you want, and I have zero proof this is the case, but I'd rather believe he's a good man than judge him without the facts. That's just me.
I still think something happened in the last 4-5 months that really set Fritz and Tulane apart. Whatever it was really pissed off Fritz and now he's gone. It was probably something he felt he was promised and not delivered. Whether it's facilities or salary or personnel related, we may never really know. Now Fritz has no problem screwing us.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27067
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:22 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:05 pm Did anyone else see Fritz get visably upset when players were asked in the post-game (CCG) press conference if the rumors about Fritz leaving had any effect on their prep or play? He even put his head down at one point, but tears were in his eyes when he picked it back up.

What people don't seem to believe is that Willie Fritz loved those players just as much as he did a year ago, maybe more. Fritz missed out on the GaTech job because he refused to announce it before the CCG. Tulane did NOTHING (but make promises after the fact that apparently were not kept) to change his mind. winwave, don't bother arguing this with me, Pratt among others said exactly that. He told the team he accepted a job but would not announce it until after the CCG out of respect for what they were accomplishing. He did not sign the contract and that left the door open for GaTech to pull the offer.

This time around he didn't tell the team and I think it wore on him.

MY PURE SPECULATION is that he believed his job search and talks with UH did negatively affect our Green Wave and he was upset at that. You can bash him all you want, and I have zero proof this is the case, but I'd rather believe he's a good man than judge him without the facts. That's just me.
I still think something happened in the last 4-5 months that really set Fritz and Tulane apart. Whatever it was really pissed off Fritz and now he's gone. It was probably something he felt he was promised and not delivered. Whether it's facilities or salary or personnel related, we may never really know. Now Fritz has no problem screwing us.
Yes. He was promised and we were publicly told that he have a simple bubble by Fall practice and nothing showed up. Dannen bailed on him also. Don’t know if Gosha not getting the AD job was the final straw.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:22 pm
I still think something happened in the last 4-5 months that really set Fritz and Tulane apart. Whatever it was really pissed off Fritz and now he's gone. It was probably something he felt he was promised and not delivered. Whether it's facilities or salary or personnel related, we may never really know. Now Fritz has no problem screwing us.
We have a new coach. The old coach is now an opponent. I would expect the two to compete for their new employers. No one is screwing anyone right now unless either one is incompetent. They are competing. I have confidence in Coach Sumrall.
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Online

McWave wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:33 pm
anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:22 pm
I still think something happened in the last 4-5 months that really set Fritz and Tulane apart. Whatever it was really pissed off Fritz and now he's gone. It was probably something he felt he was promised and not delivered. Whether it's facilities or salary or personnel related, we may never really know. Now Fritz has no problem screwing us.
We have a new coach. The old coach is now an opponent. I would expect the two to compete for their new employers. No one is screwing anyone right now unless either one is incompetent. They are competing. I have confidence in Coach Sumrall.
Coach Fritz's own code of conduct for coaches who leave specifies that they should not be recruiting players or recruits from the previous school. Is he following that code? Maybe, but let's see how many players and recruits end up at UH.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25566
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:05 pm Did anyone else see Fritz get visably upset when players were asked in the post-game (CCG) press conference if the rumors about Fritz leaving had any effect on their prep or play? He even put his head down at one point, but tears were in his eyes when he picked it back up.

What people don't seem to believe is that Willie Fritz loved those players just as much as he did a year ago, maybe more. Fritz missed out on the GaTech job because he refused to announce it before the CCG. Tulane did NOTHING (but make promises after the fact that apparently were not kept) to change his mind. winwave, don't bother arguing this with me, Pratt among others said exactly that. He told the team he accepted a job but would not announce it until after the CCG out of respect for what they were accomplishing. He did not sign the contract and that left the door open for GaTech to pull the offer.

This time around he didn't tell the team and I think it wore on him.

MY PURE SPECULATION is that he believed his job search and talks with UH did negatively affect our Green Wave and he was upset at that. You can bash him all you want, and I have zero proof this is the case, but I'd rather believe he's a good man than judge him without the facts. That's just me.
Nothing to argue. He did tell the team. What Pratt said was that they then held a players only meeting to vent. If Fritz respected them he wouldn't have agreed to the job before the game and he wouldn't have had anything to tell them. GT then revolted and the offer was pulled. I'd point out that you have gone back and forth on how it went down. You initially argued he didn't accept the job because it would have been signed on the spot and it couldn't have been pulled. I then pointed out that verbal agreements are reached and then the lawyers hash out the fine print and it gets signed later.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13236
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:52 pm
McWave wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:33 pm
anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:22 pm
I still think something happened in the last 4-5 months that really set Fritz and Tulane apart. Whatever it was really pissed off Fritz and now he's gone. It was probably something he felt he was promised and not delivered. Whether it's facilities or salary or personnel related, we may never really know. Now Fritz has no problem screwing us.
We have a new coach. The old coach is now an opponent. I would expect the two to compete for their new employers. No one is screwing anyone right now unless either one is incompetent. They are competing. I have confidence in Coach Sumrall.
Coach Fritz's own code of conduct for coaches who leave specifies that they should not be recruiting players or recruits from the previous school. Is he following that code? Maybe, but let's see how many players and recruits end up at UH.
I think something happened that had to do with promises about facilities. Then being told he's in charge of fundraising for the project. I don't think Fritz is out to screw Tulane. I expect about 8-10 Tulane players or recruits will end up at UH. I wish them well and hope Sumrall and the staff that is still recruiting is hitting it hard in the short time before signing day.

I think Fritz was and is a very good man. I think he's a good coach that did a tremendous job building a program that not only won, but really represented the University well. I think 2022 fell into his lap because of the leadership of Pratt, Williams and Anderson and the play of Tyjae. He was able to ride that leadership and determination for two years. For whatever reason, he felt UH was a better opportunity and he left.

I think we have a better coach to take the next step now. To expect this to happen seamlessly and tearlessly is asking a whole lot. But if Sumrall wins and gets us into a better conference before he leaves, we will be in a better position to say thank you to Willie Fritz. More than anything else he gave the program credibility and he did it the right way. I have a hard time believing that Fritz doesn't want Sumrall to succeed.

I'm still shocked we got him. Great job Harris, Fitts, Gosha and that finance guy that was the temporary AD. I am really starting to believe that things are changing in Gibson Hall. Now if they just give athletics all the way to Claiborne, we'll have the room we need to do it right. I don't know that I'll live to see the stadium "finished" but that has to be in the master plan at some point, NIMBYs be danmned.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27067
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Here it is. The contract
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 533360.php
It runs through the 2028 season. His annual salary will be $4.5 million.

As part of the deal, Fritz has a $19 million buyout if he leaves before Dec. 31, 2026; he would owe the school 60% of the remaining contract if he left after the third season. The buyout is mirrored for UH, which would owe Fritz $19 million if he is fired before the end of his third season.

The contract will be extended one year if UH finishes in the top three (tied or outright) in the Big 12 at any point of the contract.

Fritz will receive the following incentives:

One-time increase of $500,000 if UH wins the Big 12.
One-time increase of $500,000 if UH makes the College Football Playoff.
One-time increase of $1 million if UH wins the CFP national championship.
Fritz can receive no more than $1.5 million for team performance and coaching awards.
Among performance incentives:

$100,000 if UH wins seven games in the regular season (at least three conference wins).
$100,000 if UH wins eight games in the regular season (at least four conference wins).
$100,000 if UH wins nine games in the regular season (at least five conference wins).
$100,000 if UH wins 10 games in the regular season (at least six conference wins).
$100,000 if UH wins 11 games in the regular season (at least seven conference wins).
$100,000 if UH wins 12 games in the regular season (at least eight conference wins).
$100,000 if UH reaches the Big 12 championship game.
$300,000 if UH wins the Big 12 championship or is designated as conference champion or co-champion.
$50,000 if UH reaches a non-CFP bowl.
$50,000 if UH wins a non-CFP bowl.
$250,000 if UH plays in a College Football Playoff game.
$250,000 if UH plays in a CFP quarterfinal game.
$250,000 if UH plays in a CFP semifinal game.
$250,000 if UH plays in CFP championship game.
$250,000 if UH wins CFP championship game.
$25,000 for conference coach of the year.
$100,000 for national coach of the year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 9933
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Covington, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

I'd be willing to bet he achieves none of those incentives prior to that $19M buyout expiring in three years.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 9933
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Covington, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

So he was willing to sign a contract with a huge buyout at Houston, but not here? This either means 1) he knew he was planning on leaving and refused, or 2) the school chose to not demand a large buyout.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13236
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:31 am So he was willing to sign a contract with a huge buyout at Houston, but not here? This either means 1) he knew he was planning on leaving and refused, or 2) the school chose to not demand a large buyout.
I think it was both. Dannen spoke openly about not being willing to hold someone back from a better opportunity. I think they both knew that the 2022 season and what would transpire in 2023 with a weak schedule was their tickets out of Tulane. Not exactly looking out for your employer's best interests on Dannen's behalf as that's his job.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
GreenLantern
Riptide
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:37 am I think it was both. Dannen spoke openly about not being willing to hold someone back from a better opportunity. I think they both knew that the 2022 season and what would transpire in 2023 with a weak schedule was their tickets out of Tulane. Not exactly looking out for your employer's best interests on Dannen's behalf as that's his job.
Bingo! Perfect assessment!

Dannen knew he was enhancing his position with the “extra credit” assignments with the NCAA boards. Fritz knew that by maximizing the potential of Michael Pratt and Tyjae Spears, learning from the SNAFU with GA Tech, he would be able to parlay 2022 and 2023 into a P5 coaching job.

Am I suggesting this was totally unethical? No, it was predictably human and self-serving… not unlike marrying for money and not love.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 9933
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Covington, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Yes, predictably human, but also very unethical.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2934
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Online

I still think that Fritz only decided to look elsewhere in the last few months. He and Tulane had a falling out about something.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3423
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Yeah, dillydallying around with facilities probably pissed him off. But that’s as much on Dannen who had itchy feet as well. And he did try to go to Georgia Tech last year. The low buyout is probably because Dannen didn’t ask him for one.
And had we beaten SMU, why in the eff would we want Houston’s coach anywhere near our football team for our bowl game?
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25566
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tulane should have delivered on the Bubble and more actually. But Willie was gone no matter what. He'd been trying to leave for a lot longer than last year. That P meant everything to him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13236
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:23 am I still think that Fritz only decided to look elsewhere in the last few months. He and Tulane had a falling out about something.
He was one foot out the door in November of 2022. The only reason he stayed is GaTech pulled the offer. Had he signed the contract the week before the CCG in 2022, he wouldn't have been around for the Cotton Bowl, either. Nothing Tulane did changed his mind. Though I agree with you that promises were made and not kept. And I think that making him fundraise for the IPF might have pissed him off, too. Fundraising is not a fun responsibility.

In the end it all worked out. He got a "Pee" opportunity, and we got a better coach. But don't be surprised if Sumrall is out in 2-3 years, sooner if Kentucky loses Swoops.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7590
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:52 am Tulane should have delivered on the Bubble and more actually. But Willie was gone no matter what. He'd been trying to leave for a lot longer than last year. That P meant everything to him.
I think he's been looking for an exit for a long time. What was the phrase surrounding the Arkansas opening? "It's my dream job.". Both Willie and Dannen seemed to figure out the situation with Gibson Hall sometime after their second or third year on board. Dannen started working for the NCAA, and Willie kept building our program so he could get his own exit. Hence their agreement not to have a significant buyout in Willie's contracts.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply