Willie Fritz official to Houston

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... ip-report/

Not necessarily confirmed it seems, but it's being reported.

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

I don’t buy it. You’re telling me a San Antonio sports beat writer has more insider contacts at Tulane or Houston than local beat writers in those respective cities?
Dave breslin
Swell

Too many habenaro peppers from a San Antonio nobody who has to justify his job by blowing those peppers out of his ass. He doesn’t know any more than the lucky dog vendor on bourbon street
MicMan
Swell

"Believe" doing a lot of heavy lifting in that story
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Because they didn’t announce the UTSA coach today it’s bad news. It’s Willie’s job if he wants it. Hopefully Tulane does what it takes to keep him here. Otherwise we are going into the tank again.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

I don’t think Houston is a good fit for Fritz. I doubt he will be there more than 3 years.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Very likely that Pratt will rejoin Coach Fritz in Houston .
They respect each other . They love working together . .
Pratt will get more NIL money than any other QB in the Portal and Fertilla will line up additional NIL for Michael .

You heard it here first .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Follow Pete Thamel on X

If WF decides either way Thamel will break it first.
Tulane Class of 1981
COChip
Low Tide

Wave QB wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:18 pm I don’t think Houston is a good fit for Fritz. I doubt he will be there more than 3 years.
I don’t think it’s a good fit, either. Willie is not this high energy change agent coach. He’s not going to have the low bar expectations and patience Tulane gave him to win. That kind of money, he’s going to be expected to win immediately in the Big 12.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This belongs in the watch thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dave breslin
Swell

The ONLY reason to jump to Houston would be money. Thug operation that Dana grew needs to be rehauled. And that would take years. If we don’t match their offer-we don’t deserve to be “in” the game. Use Houston to squeeze the old guard ( Gibson).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:49 pm This belongs in the watch thread.
It’s down to Houston. If he stays we can merge it. If he goes we leave it on its own. We’ll know something this weekend or sooner on UH.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Since this thread treats it as true we have to hope Willie wasn't lying when he said this:

“Departing Coaches must refrain from recruiting current players when they take another job.”

Like he lied when he said he and his wife had already decided they would finish his career out here.

BTW, that's #36 on a list that was posted last year that Willie has posted in the facility.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:40 pm Very likely that Pratt will rejoin Coach Fritz in Houston .
They respect each other . They love working together . .
Pratt will get more NIL money than any other QB in the Portal and Fertilla will line up additional NIL for Michael .

You heard it here first .
Pratt should go pro.
Greeniegb
Swell

Dave breslin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:50 pm The ONLY reason to jump to Houston would be money. Thug operation that Dana grew needs to be rehauled. And that would take years. If we don’t match their offer-we don’t deserve to be “in” the game. Use Houston to squeeze the old guard ( Gibson).
This is a dumb post because the Cons of going to Houston out weigh any pro's.
Houston vs stay at Tulane:

-Houston rebuild -Tulane continue solid program built by Coach

-no chance of playoffs next year -Chance at the College playoffs next season

-not Coach Fritz culture of players, will take time - Chance to make it 3 Conference Championships in a row

-little if any chance of a bowl next year. - Solid chance for bowl again next season

-Win Conference Championship go and play competitively in New
Bowl will give them solid chance of getting ACC Bid next Year.

I don't believe Coach Fritz is a stupid person, nothing makes sense about taking the Houston job, money is an issue over there according to their former coach. True they have better facilities, but the money issues must be on assistant salaries. With what they owe the previous coach money will still be a problem in Houston. In the big 12 they will be at the bottom because Coach Fritz rebuilds take at least a 3-year period at which point is will be almost ready to retire. Honestly, I believe he is using leverage to push Tulane a little quicker than it wants to on facilities. That push could get them the ACC invite easily next year at which point we will be in better shape than Houston was when they took the leap to Power 5, coach wants to be at a better place when that jump happens. If we win Coach Stays definitely, he will tell Houston like he told Georgia Tech last year thanks but no thanks. If we lose it can be a little iffy but I think he still stays!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GBG Get your facts straight. Fritz accepted the job but told Tech he would not announce it until a week later after the CCG. During that week Tech told Fritz “sorry we cannot wait and changed our minds.”

I hope Fritz stays and think he will. But make no mistake, he was gone a year ago and it was Tech that said no, not Fritz. And Tulane did nothing to change his mind, Tech pulled the offer.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Will you blame Tulane or Willie if he leaves for Houston?
In this case I’d blame Tulane. If he was going to any other Pee school I could understand. But to leave for that commuter school Houston would be devastating.
Tulane once again is reactive. Had they been proactive like Houston has he wouldn’t be in talks to leave for that school. Remember Tulane offered to match Clemson money at the last minute but by then ole Tommy Boy had already made up his mind. I’d be more shocked if Willie stays then if he were to leave.
anEngineer
Riptide

Coach Fritz publicly and specifically said no schools should even contact him until after the championship game. Do we take him at his word that he has not even spoken to Houston?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:39 am Coach Fritz publicly and specifically said no schools should even contact him until after the championship game. Do we take him at his word that he has not even spoken to Houston?
Not sure. He was in talks with GT prior but it was leaked that he accepted the terms and that pissed him off. You can take it to the bank that his agent is in talks with Houston. They probably have an offer in front of them now. After the game today he’ll either accept the UH offer or the one Tulane has decided to put forth. Like ScottS said only Willie knows now.
I’m more worried because UH has no other candidate that I know of besides WF and had they then they would have announced a new coach by now. They are waiting until after the game to respect Willie’s wishes at this point to accept or decline. If they wait then the know they probably have a better chance at getting him because of what happened with GT last year. We’ll know tomorrow at the latest if he’s going.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

My biggest concern if Fritz leaves is how many players does he take with him? I could easily see him taking Makhi Hughes and Chris Brazzell, maybe Corey Platt.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:50 am
anEngineer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:39 am Coach Fritz publicly and specifically said no schools should even contact him until after the championship game. Do we take him at his word that he has not even spoken to Houston?
Not sure. He was in talks with GT prior but it was leaked that he accepted the terms and that pissed him off. You can take it to the bank that his agent is in talks with Houston. They probably have an offer in front of them now. After the game today he’ll either accept the UH offer or the one Tulane has decided to put forth. Like ScottS said only Willie knows now.
GT doesn't apply here because he never made a statement prior. Do we think Coach is just playing a semantics game that he didn't actually negotiate with Houston, but his agent did? It seems out of character for what we think of Fritz, but I thought it was out of character for him to voice a public opinion of who he thought should be AD.
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:59 am My biggest concern if Fritz leaves is how many players does he take with him? I could easily see him taking Makhi Hughes and Chris Brazzell, maybe Corey Platt.
Depends on who takes over. Would definitely suck to see Hughes and Brazzell go. They need to hire a coach before Monday. Can't wait on a "national search". Plenty of good coaches to go after quickly.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:59 am My biggest concern if Fritz leaves is how many players does he take with him? I could easily see him taking Makhi Hughes and Chris Brazzell, maybe Corey Platt.
That absolutely will happen. It always does even at the P5 schools. It will be a complete rebuild should he leave. The entire coaching staff will be offered jobs in Houston as well should he accept.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

I try not to get into the bitch slapping that the few are always kidnapping these inputs, but greengb, your comment about my post being stupid is a shot from someone who didn’t understand my post. It’s exactly what you responded to. The Houston job is no better than what he has here. In fact, I think here is a better situation than going to a cluster fuck At Houston. Get our “ needs” together and keep this WAVE ROLLING. But like I sa, read it again dummy
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:50 am
GT doesn't apply here because he never made a statement prior. Do we think Coach is just playing a semantics game that he didn't actually negotiate with Houston, but his agent did? It seems out of character for what we think of Fritz, but I thought it was out of character for him to voice a public opinion of who he thought should be AD.
He let Houston know he’d be interested. Do you consider that talks? His agent probably has a written offer from both Tulane and UH on his desk now. After the game tonight he presents them to Willie. At that point Willie signs one or the other. That’s my opinion.
I sincerely doubt he’ll try to put one offer up against the other for more money. It will be a done deal this weekend. In this rare case I have no doubt money will not be the determining factor. Tulane will pay more than Houston. However he may want a P5 job at this point in his career and the Big12 will be weak next year with OU and UT leaving. Houston can easily win it with a good coach (better resources and a fertile recruiting area). He spent years at Sam Houston St so he knows the territory already.
This pains me say but no way on earth does WF even consider Houston if they were still in the AAC G5. That’s why it’s so important Tulane makes getting into the ACC it’s #1 priority.
Tulane Class of 1981