Thoughts on if Yulman could ever be used for MLS team

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenie78
Riptide

The MLS has been a rapidly growing league. If there's a chance that New Orleans would ever be interested in getting a team, could Yulman be a good location? Both Tulane and the MLS team could pay for renovations that would suit modern MLS stadiums which are smaller versions of European stadiums with covered terraces. It could work since MLS is played in the late spring thru early fall. It would also make Yulman a more attractive venue for fans in the fall if the seatings are mostly covered with upgraded amenities. Thoughts?

austxwave
High Tide

1. NIMBY's wouldn't allow it
2. MLS just announced expansion into San Diego and there are other cities that are well funded that would be better choices than New Orleans
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Impossible. The field dimensions wouldn’t allow for it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

The San Diego group paid a $500,000,000 franchise fee. Insane.
anEngineer
Riptide

How many MLS fans could we reasonably expect to support this? I can't imagine it's very many. After sitting through my kids' soccer games for years, I can't imagine wanting to go to another one. It seemed like soccer only ever got played in cold rain.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope it never happens. Who wants to ruin a beautiful football field with soccer lines?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:55 am I hope it never happens. Who wants to ruin a beautiful football field with soccer lines?
The surface space is too small. This was discussed years ago when it was first built. Not going to happen.

viewtopic.php?t=3682&start=50
Yulman was designed with soccer "in mind", in the sense that it was considered, but it was determined that site is too narrow to accommodate a pitch wide enough for international matches and MLS/NASL matches, while still having enough seats to accommodate an FBS football team. Look at the site, there's just obviously no room to widen the pitch unless you're taking out seats. We're shoe-horning it in there as it is. The fans will be VERY close to the action at Yulman. In the end, its probably for the best. The neighbors would have had a much better case in blocking the thing if it was being used for purposes that go far beyond Tulane football (e.g., a pro sports team). You're talking about another 20+ dates a year, and its something totally unrelated to the university.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981