7 ACC Schools Joining Together, Considering Future Of Conference

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:08 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:46 pm UConn to the Big 12, why not us??? Come on Hunter B12 eyeing improving Basketball Standing!!! UConn is no comparison to us in football.

Big 12 continues to eye expansion with new potential target emerging
According to Russ Steinberg of Boardroom, Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark recently visited UConn to meet with the university’s administration. The conversations at this point were considered “very exploratory”.

This is not the first time that UConn and the Big 12 have been brought up together this week. Earlier this week, Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated listed UConn among the schools that the Big 12 was considering when it came to further conference expansion. He also listed Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, San Diego State, and UNLV among those that the conference was targeting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bi ... b0a2&ei=27
"Why not us?" There is one big reason it won't be us for the Big 12--and that reason is Brett Yormark. He has made it clear he is striving to build a coast-to-coast conference, and we doing nothing to help him do that--what we thought was a geographic advantage has suddenly become a geographic disadvantage. Secondly, it's becoming increasingly clear that he's a basketball-phile, which is wholly consistent with his past. It's becoming evident that Brett Yormark's arrival at the Big 12 has closed the door for us. If Yormark had been Commish before the Big 12's latest expansion, I'm not sure UH would have been invited, though their basketball success might have done the trick--but I'm pretty confident UConn would have been the preferable invite if Yormark had been calling the shots.
Financially UCONN has a budget deficit of 53 million, not counting if they have to buyout of the Big East, does not sound to stable an Athletic Department!!!
While UConn’s move from the AAC to the Big East in 2020 has seen its football and basketball programs move in the right direction, the Big 12 would provide a significant increase in payout money to an athletic department that had a $53 million budget deficit 2022. The Big East’s current deal pays each school a little more than $4 million per year while the Big 12 is set to give out upwards of $20 million per year.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:51 am
Financially UCONN has a budget deficit of 53 million, not counting if they have to buyout of the Big East, does not sound to stable an Athletic Department!!!
While UConn’s move from the AAC to the Big East in 2020 has seen its football and basketball programs move in the right direction, the Big 12 would provide a significant increase in payout money to an athletic department that had a $53 million budget deficit 2022. The Big East’s current deal pays each school a little more than $4 million per year while the Big 12 is set to give out upwards of $20 million per year.
Check your numbers, particularly what the Big 12 will payout. You're way off.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:51 am
HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:08 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:46 pm UConn to the Big 12, why not us??? Come on Hunter B12 eyeing improving Basketball Standing!!! UConn is no comparison to us in football.

Big 12 continues to eye expansion with new potential target emerging
According to Russ Steinberg of Boardroom, Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark recently visited UConn to meet with the university’s administration. The conversations at this point were considered “very exploratory”.

This is not the first time that UConn and the Big 12 have been brought up together this week. Earlier this week, Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated listed UConn among the schools that the Big 12 was considering when it came to further conference expansion. He also listed Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, San Diego State, and UNLV among those that the conference was targeting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bi ... b0a2&ei=27
"Why not us?" There is one big reason it won't be us for the Big 12--and that reason is Brett Yormark. He has made it clear he is striving to build a coast-to-coast conference, and we doing nothing to help him do that--what we thought was a geographic advantage has suddenly become a geographic disadvantage. Secondly, it's becoming increasingly clear that he's a basketball-phile, which is wholly consistent with his past. It's becoming evident that Brett Yormark's arrival at the Big 12 has closed the door for us. If Yormark had been Commish before the Big 12's latest expansion, I'm not sure UH would have been invited, though their basketball success might have done the trick--but I'm pretty confident UConn would have been the preferable invite if Yormark had been calling the shots.
All reasons why UConn would probably jump at an offer from the Big 12.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Greeniegb
Swell

How the Big 12 and Pac-12 stacked up in revenue distribution for the 2022 fiscal year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... b7bd67&ei=
anEngineer
Riptide

One thing that I have learned through this process is that sports writers are as bad, if not worse, than news writers. They make things up and they know full well that they are making it up, but if they write something different, they will get the highly-desired clicks. Most of it has no basis but you don't know that yet.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I thought the Big 12's deal with ESPN includes no pro-rata additional money for adding more G5 schools. So why would UNLV, SDSU or UConn even be on their radar? It would mean diluting what they already receive. I could almost see UConn if they really are looking to get a separate contract for basketball, but otherwise, it doesn't add up.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:34 pm I thought the Big 12's deal with ESPN includes no pro-rata additional money for adding more G5 schools. So why would UNLV, SDSU or UConn even be on their radar? It would mean diluting what they already receive. I could almost see UConn if they really are looking to get a separate contract for basketball, but otherwise, it doesn't add up.
Ya mean the U Conn basketball snobs are going to leave the Big East basketball snobs for sum public school trash Universities of the big12...stop the madness
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

Would never happen but could you imagine a better conference for Tulane?

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:19 pm Would never happen but could you imagine a better conference for Tulane?

That would be a fantastic conference--a lot of old Metro foes, plus some. It also serves up very logical pods, that would create great rivalries in close proximity. But if ND decides to go to a conference, it would be hard to beat the Big 10. Perhaps ND could see a regular trip to the CFP, through such a conference, plus it would give them great access to recruiting the south.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:34 pm I thought the Big 12's deal with ESPN includes no pro-rata additional money for adding more G5 schools. So why would UNLV, SDSU or UConn even be on their radar? It would mean diluting what they already receive. I could almost see UConn if they really are looking to get a separate contract for basketball, but otherwise, it doesn't add up.
The Big 12 fully intends on separating basketball in their next contract.
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:46 pm
Ruski wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:19 pm Would never happen but could you imagine a better conference for Tulane?

That would be a fantastic conference--a lot of old Metro foes, plus some. It also serves up very logical pods, that would create great rivalries in close proximity. But if ND decides to go to a conference, it would be hard to beat the Big 10. Perhaps ND could see a regular trip to the CFP, through such a conference, plus it would give them great access to recruiting the south.
This would suck hurt recruiting in Texas, not playing a Texas University.
Ruski
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:46 am

Realistically, sub SMU for ND. Throw in Army/Navy for football for some lost prestige. If you could convince the snobs of the conference to pair UTSA with SMU, you have a real great mix of elite institutions with massive, growing public schools that offer huge football upside.

Between Duke, Cincy, Pitt, BC, UConn, Memphis, etc you always gonna be massively relevant in basketball. And regional rivalries. Then the UCF, USF, UTSA, massive student bodies in football hotbeds, you got a good chance to be the #3 conference each year.

Would take a very strong ACC comish with vision to pull it off. So it will never happen.

But nice to dream.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:58 am All reasons why UConn would probably jump at an offer from the Big 12.
As a taxpayer and somewhat of a Huskies fan, I would agree 1000%. But diehard Huskies fans don't see it the same way at all.

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn/ ... 104155.php
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:46 am

I agree it would be nice to have a Texas school, or two, in the mix. But I'd take this line-up, even without a Texas school, in a heartbeat. But I agree with Ruski, ND won't join such a conference, so SMU could be a Texas fill-in. I do think at some point in the future, UCF and West Va, and Cincy could be induced into such a conference--the biggest variable is when will the ACC unravel. And even without a Texas school, Tulane could schedule Texas opponents with its three OOC games.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Mon May 22, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

LMFAO! You think Cincy is going to leave the Big 12 for a conference that does not exist and does not have a TV rights deal? A conference that would struggle as much or more than the PAC to get a TV deal, especially since there's no way in hell Notre Dame joins such a conference? If they remain independent ND will get $60-70 million in their next TV deal (2025 is when the current one expires.) It would be an interesting conference that's spread out geographically. Think about it all you want but it's not happening. I mention ND and Cincy, but many of the others listed would have next to zero interest.