Early Bowl Projections

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Post Reply
Greeniegb
Swell
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

College Football Playoff projections have Texas Longhorns in as the No. 3 seed
247Sports' Brad Crawford released his way-too-early bowl game projections for the 2023-24 college football season on Monday. He had all the games, including the four playoff teams, as well as they other four New Year's Six bowls.

College Football Playoff: Sugar Bowl: No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs vs. No. 4 Michigan Wolverines
College Football Playoff: Rose Bowl: No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes vs. No. 3 Texas Longhorns
Cotton Bowl: LSU Tigers vs. USC Trojans
Fiesta Bowl: Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. Washington Huskies
Orange Bowl: Clemson Tigers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions
Peach Bowl: Alabama Crimson Tide vs. Tulane Green Wave

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... acd7&ei=36


DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Way too early was the most accurate part of the article. C'mon man, UT chokes every year, I'll bet they have 3+ losses by the time the playoff is finalized. And Tulane is not the same team we were a year ago so who knows if we're going to win 10 games back to back (and it will take 11 with a CCG win to get to the Peach Bowl) for the first time in our lifetime or go back to 7-5 or 6-6? We've had one 10 win season this century yet folks assume 10 wins is a done deal in 2023.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GifWave
Ripple
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 01, 2023 9:47 am
Status: Offline

Image
anEngineer
Riptide
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Being G5 representative in the NY6 back to back would send quite a message about Tulane football. Since we beat all 3 departing G5 programs last year, the excuse can't be made that it's only because the good teams left.
Greeniegb
Swell
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:37 am Way too early was the most accurate part of the article. C'mon man, UT chokes every year, I'll bet they have 3+ losses by the time the playoff is finalized. And Tulane is not the same team we were a year ago so who knows if we're going to win 10 games back to back (and it will take 11 with a CCG win to get to the Peach Bowl) for the first time in our lifetime or go back to 7-5 or 6-6? We've had one 10 win season this century yet folks assume 10 wins is a done deal in 2023.
Even if we are not the same team, the schedule strength is a big drop off allowing us to win as many games. Once you gain the notoriety we did last year strength of schedule does not carry as much weight.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Greeniegb wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:37 am Way too early was the most accurate part of the article. C'mon man, UT chokes every year, I'll bet they have 3+ losses by the time the playoff is finalized. And Tulane is not the same team we were a year ago so who knows if we're going to win 10 games back to back (and it will take 11 with a CCG win to get to the Peach Bowl) for the first time in our lifetime or go back to 7-5 or 6-6? We've had one 10 win season this century yet folks assume 10 wins is a done deal in 2023.
Even if we are not the same team, the schedule strength is a big drop off allowing us to win as many games. Once you gain the notoriety we did last year strength of schedule does not carry as much weight.
You posted the same thing I did in an earlier thread, now you're arguing against the point. Each year is a different year. This team is a new entity, with different players, different coaches, and different opponents. And yes strength of schedule will matter. One 12-2 season, our second 10 win season this century, didn't buy us anything close to the credibility Cincinnati had, for example, in 2021. An undefeated or 1-loss SunBelt Champion will likely get the nod for the NY6 ahead of a 2-loss C-USAAC champion. The CFB playoff committee determines what team will get the NY6 bid, and Tulane will need back-to-back historical seasons to do so.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Dave breslin
Swell
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Optimistic pick=12-0
Realistic pick=10-2
Being a Tulane watcher for 70 years pick= Who the hell knows!
But, when and how often have we been this realistically optimistic? One game at a time with a definite improvement in talent can win all our games.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 9923
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Covington, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:59 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:37 am Way too early was the most accurate part of the article. C'mon man, UT chokes every year, I'll bet they have 3+ losses by the time the playoff is finalized. And Tulane is not the same team we were a year ago so who knows if we're going to win 10 games back to back (and it will take 11 with a CCG win to get to the Peach Bowl) for the first time in our lifetime or go back to 7-5 or 6-6? We've had one 10 win season this century yet folks assume 10 wins is a done deal in 2023.
Even if we are not the same team, the schedule strength is a big drop off allowing us to win as many games. Once you gain the notoriety we did last year strength of schedule does not carry as much weight.
You posted the same thing I did in an earlier thread, now you're arguing against the point. Each year is a different year. This team is a new entity, with different players, different coaches, and different opponents. And yes strength of schedule will matter. One 12-2 season, our second 10 win season this century, didn't buy us anything close to the credibility Cincinnati had, for example, in 2021. An undefeated or 1-loss SunBelt Champion will likely get the nod for the NY6 ahead of a 2-loss C-USAAC champion. The CFB playoff committee determines what team will get the NY6 bid, and Tulane will need back-to-back historical seasons to do so.
Except you're making the wrong comparison regarding Cincinnati. Last year would have been equivalent to Cincinnati's 2020 season. And we do carry as much credibility going into this season as they did going into the 2021 season. They built on that and ended up in the playoff in 2021.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:43 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:59 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm

Even if we are not the same team, the schedule strength is a big drop off allowing us to win as many games. Once you gain the notoriety we did last year strength of schedule does not carry as much weight.
You posted the same thing I did in an earlier thread, now you're arguing against the point. Each year is a different year. This team is a new entity, with different players, different coaches, and different opponents. And yes strength of schedule will matter. One 12-2 season, our second 10 win season this century, didn't buy us anything close to the credibility Cincinnati had, for example, in 2021. An undefeated or 1-loss SunBelt Champion will likely get the nod for the NY6 ahead of a 2-loss C-USAAC champion. The CFB playoff committee determines what team will get the NY6 bid, and Tulane will need back-to-back historical seasons to do so.
Except you're making the wrong comparison regarding Cincinnati. Last year would have been equivalent to Cincinnati's 2020 season. And we do carry as much credibility going into this season as they did going into the 2021 season. They built on that and ended up in the playoff in 2021.
We have more to overcome than the Bearcats did. We have one of the worst all-time records in D1 football. Cincy went undefeated in 2020 and was on the national radar most of the season. We lost two games in 2022 won an incredible bowl game, but did so mostly under the radar. Cincy lost their NY6 game to Georgia. The fact that this was our first 10-win season (I was wrong when I said 2nd above) and only 6th winning season this century plays against us. The average fan doesn't think highly of Tulane football if they think of us at all. With the weak schedule, we need to win 11 games plus the CCG to get the NY6 bowl game.

There's also 4 less slots in the Pee Fraternity to fill.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Another PAC scalp would be very sweet


User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26897
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Impressive!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Green Wave
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

The last Way-to-early bowl forecast had us playing Bama in the Peach Bowl. Which is it, the Peach Bowl or Fiesta Bowl for the G5 Top Dog?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Could be either but it appears the Peach is most likely.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Unless the rotation changes, the Peach Bowl is the invite that goes to the highest ranked (by Playoff committee) G5 conference champion.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide
Posts: 2591
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:32 am
RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:43 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:59 pm

You posted the same thing I did in an earlier thread, now you're arguing against the point. Each year is a different year. This team is a new entity, with different players, different coaches, and different opponents. And yes strength of schedule will matter. One 12-2 season, our second 10 win season this century, didn't buy us anything close to the credibility Cincinnati had, for example, in 2021. An undefeated or 1-loss SunBelt Champion will likely get the nod for the NY6 ahead of a 2-loss C-USAAC champion. The CFB playoff committee determines what team will get the NY6 bid, and Tulane will need back-to-back historical seasons to do so.
Except you're making the wrong comparison regarding Cincinnati. Last year would have been equivalent to Cincinnati's 2020 season. And we do carry as much credibility going into this season as they did going into the 2021 season. They built on that and ended up in the playoff in 2021.
We have more to overcome than the Bearcats did. We have one of the worst all-time records in D1 football. Cincy went undefeated in 2020 and was on the national radar most of the season. We lost two games in 2022 won an incredible bowl game, but did so mostly under the radar. Cincy lost their NY6 game to Georgia. The fact that this was our first 10-win season (I was wrong when I said 2nd above) and only 6th winning season this century plays against us. The average fan doesn't think highly of Tulane football if they think of us at all. With the weak schedule, we need to win 11 games plus the CCG to get the NY6 bowl game.

There's also 4 less slots in the Pee Fraternity to fill.
Cincy beat no one in 2020 and lost to a not so great Georgia team who didn't even win the SEC East that season and were manhandled in their losses to Bama and Florida. This USC team was more dangerous because they had the Heisman winning QB while Georgia started someone who's now the starting QB at Rice. If Cincy had alot of credibility in 2020, they would have made the playoffs being undefeated instead of an Ohio State team who just played 5 games that season.
Post Reply