Troy Dannen’s committee makes 2023 FB rule changes to speed up game

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Biggest change the clock will continue to run after a first down unless 2 mins or less in the the half or 4th Qtr.
https://theathletic.com/4433838/2023/04 ... ed_article
Tulane athletic director Troy Dannen, who chairs the competition committee, previously told me that these changes will affect seven to 10 plays per game. That’s not a lot and may not feel noticeable to most fans, in part because it’s the absence of moments that bring a game to a standstill. Like, we may recognize that there’s a situation where a coach may have called back-to-back timeouts in the past, but we may not appreciate the time saved in a game in which it doesn’t happen. It’ll be interesting to see if these collective changes shave time off of the average length of games as well.
NCAA announced Friday. The changes are as follows:

Running the clock after first downs (like the NFL), except for the last two minutes of each half.
Banning the use of consecutive timeouts by a team.
Carrying over a foul to the second or fourth quarter rather than playing an untimed down.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The Cotton Bowl was brutal with TV timeouts. There were a few 10 minute blocks that had 3 or 4 plays run among a slew of full 3 minute TV breaks. Get television off the field and play the games and let TV figure out commercials. The TV timeouts really upstage momentum swings.

We had a pretty good time despite the delays though, didn't we?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Looks like Dannen is also trying to reduce the number of plays for safety reasons. Unfortunately that only cheats fans. Injuries will occur that’s part of all sports. If they want to shorten the game then reduce halftime down to 10 mins like the NFL did years ago. Colleges still have 20 min half’s.

D as far as TV commercials go I agree but it’s what pays the bills. I guess we’re stuck there.