Georgia Tech to hire Damon Stoudamire

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:11 pm Let the speculation begin
https://theathletic.com/4296119/2023/03 ... ed_article
What speculation, Hunter is here till retirement just like Fritz, he is going nowhere, loves New Orleans and Tulane University.

https://wgno.com/video/tulanes-ron-hunt ... t/8454834/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hunter top 2
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-t ... 194423727/
RON HUNTER - HEAD COACH AT TULANE
Current Position/Record - Head Coach Tulane
College Record - 500-370

Salary – He has received a contract extension through 2025/6. (Can’t find base salary) 500,00 base at
Georgia State.
Coaching Career
1987-1993 – Milwaukee Assistant
1993-1994 – Miami (Ohio) Assistant
1994-2011 – IUPUI Head Coach
2011-2019 – Georgia State Head Coach
2019-Present – Tulane

Salary - He has received a contract extension through 2025/6 at Tulane but his salary is undisclosed since Tulane is a private school. He did earn a $500,00 base at Georgia State.
Why Hire Ron Hunter? Hunter has done a great job of rebuilding programs at every stop. IUPUI was an NAIA program when he took over the program. Georgia State finished 1st in 3 of his last 6 seasons and Tulane has gone from a cellar dwellar in the AAC to 3rd in just 4 seasons. Hunter also would have good Atlanta and Georgia connections as a result of his stint at Georgia State. Atlanta won't be a problem for him.
Why Not Hire Ron Hunter? Hunter's contract negotiations with Georgia State broke down largely over a dispute around tying some of his bonuses to academic performance. There was a concern by GSU officials that the team GPA had dipped and they wanted to tie some portion of his compensation to team GPA.
Commentary - Hunter has a solid - and almost spectacular - resume. The academic dispute he had with GSU gives one pause, though, given the academic rigor of Georgia Tech. From a basketball perspective, he's a good candidate. But, the academic aspect would need to be explored deeply.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

It's interesting that the article questions academic issues at GA St. and says it will need to be addressed for a school with the academic rigors of GA Tech. It somewhat ignorantly ignores the fact that academic issues have not arisen at a school with the academic rigors of Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:32 pm It's interesting that the article questions academic issues at GA St. and says it will need to be addressed for a school with the academic rigors of GA Tech. It somewhat ignorantly ignores the fact that academic issues have not arisen at a school with the academic rigors of Tulane.
but GT is a PEE...we are only a GEE
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Front page Atlanta Constitution
https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech ... MSAG63WV4/
Ron Hunter, Tulane – Hunter’s candidacy seems obvious. He has now built three winning programs at places that haven’t experienced much success otherwise (IUPUI, Georgia State and Tulane). At Georgia State, which had made two NCAA Tournament trips in school history prior to his arrival in 2011, Hunter led the Panthers to the tournament three times in his final five years and finished first or second in the Sun Belt’s regular-season standings five times in his final six seasons there. At Tulane, where he is in his fourth season, the Green Wave have earned back-to-back winning records in conference play for the first time since the mid-90′s.

Hunter has intimate familiarity with recruiting Atlanta and the state of Georgia and has won at a school (Tulane) with high academic standards that has not won with any regularity in more than 20 years. He is older than most hires – he’ll be 59 in April – but bringing almost 30 years of head-coaching experience can’t be a bad thing.
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

I like Hunter but hate his system and think we're gonna hit its ceiling very soon, if we haven't already.

Anyone know if GT would be on the hook to buy out Tulane for Hunter? I would take Bob Richey from Furman in a heart beat. His dad finished Tulane Med and they lived in New Orleans til Richey was 8.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hunter passed over. GT to hire Boston Celtics assistant coach Damon Stoudamire
https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-georgi ... 59081.html
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Stoudamire was not on any likely hire list that I saw anywhere. It just shows how so many of these writers are just writing about things with no information, no real sources, no real anything. They are guessing and somehow getting paid to do it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:00 pm Hunter passed over. GT to hire Boston Celtics assistant coach Damon Stoudamire
https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-georgi ... 59081.html
TD does not have to worry about a raise for Hunter, he is where he is
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:12 pm Stoudamire was not on any likely hire list that I saw anywhere. It just shows how so many of these writers are just writing about things with no information, no real sources, no real anything. They are guessing and somehow getting paid to do it.
Hope he’s not another Dunleavy for their sake.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:41 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:12 pm Stoudamire was not on any likely hire list that I saw anywhere. It just shows how so many of these writers are just writing about things with no information, no real sources, no real anything. They are guessing and somehow getting paid to do it.
I heard his name yesterday from the guy that told me Hunter wore out his welcome in Atlanta.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:52 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:41 pm
I heard his name yesterday from the guy that told me Hunter wore out his welcome in Atlanta.
Wow
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

DARN!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!