Campbell Sweeps Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:24 pm Tom Walter very much wanted the job.
Wanted the job? He pulled out like all the others that initially expressed interest. .

Like I said this job has greatly diminished since Dannen became AD. There was no real interest once salary, scholarships and lack commitment emerged during the interview process. We got the best we could that would accept under those circumstances. And if JU doesn’t work out our next coach will have to accept doing more with less in that regard as well.
Just getting a winning season will be challenging going forward. Hope I’m wrong but this article is a stark reminder of why we hired Jay U. (Hold onto recruits etc) was his recruiting class really the best since 2014?

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/inte ... 1.amp.html
Wake Forest coach Tom Walter pulled out of the running in the past week. The job was proving less attractive than in the past, when Tulane went to two College World Series and nine consecutive regionals from 1998-2006 under coach Rick Jones.


golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14273
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 am
winwave wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:24 pm Tom Walter very much wanted the job.
Wanted the job? He pulled out like all the others that initially expressed interest. .

Like I said this job has greatly diminished since Dannen became AD. There was no real interest once salary, scholarships and lack commitment emerged during the interview process. We got the best we could that would accept under those circumstances. And if JU doesn’t work out our next coach will have to accept doing more with less in that regard as well.
Just getting a winning season will be challenging going forward. Hope I’m wrong but this article is a stark reminder of why we hired Jay U. (Hold onto recruits etc) was his recruiting class really the best since 2014?

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/inte ... 1.amp.html
Wake Forest coach Tom Walter pulled out of the running in the past week. The job was proving less attractive than in the past, when Tulane went to two College World Series and nine consecutive regionals from 1998-2006 under coach Rick Jones.
sey what !!! diminshed since TD took over, stop the madness...TD is a true visionary...just becasue his vison is full of cataracts and glaucoma, there is zero reason the doubt his superior judgement
per TD.... "thy judgment, shall never be judged"... or ye shall be banned from facebook and tic-tok
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 am
winwave wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:24 pm Tom Walter very much wanted the job.
Wanted the job? He pulled out like all the others that initially expressed interest. .

Like I said this job has greatly diminished since Dannen became AD. There was no real interest once salary, scholarships and lack commitment emerged during the interview process. We got the best we could that would accept under those circumstances. And if JU doesn’t work out our next coach will have to accept doing more with less in that regard as well.
Just getting a winning season will be challenging going forward. Hope I’m wrong but this article is a stark reminder of why we hired Jay U. (Hold onto recruits etc) was his recruiting class really the best since 2014?

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/inte ... 1.amp.html
Wake Forest coach Tom Walter pulled out of the running in the past week. The job was proving less attractive than in the past, when Tulane went to two College World Series and nine consecutive regionals from 1998-2006 under coach Rick Jones.
He wanted the job just as he did when TJ got the job. He pulled out when it was made clear that Uhlman was going to get the job. That's how it always works out with job searches and the candidate knows he's not getting it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:17 am
Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 am
winwave wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:24 pm Tom Walter very much wanted the job.
Wanted the job? He pulled out like all the others that initially expressed interest. .

Like I said this job has greatly diminished since Dannen became AD. There was no real interest once salary, scholarships and lack commitment emerged during the interview process. We got the best we could that would accept under those circumstances. And if JU doesn’t work out our next coach will have to accept doing more with less in that regard as well.
Just getting a winning season will be challenging going forward. Hope I’m wrong but this article is a stark reminder of why we hired Jay U. (Hold onto recruits etc) was his recruiting class really the best since 2014?

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/inte ... 1.amp.html
Wake Forest coach Tom Walter pulled out of the running in the past week. The job was proving less attractive than in the past, when Tulane went to two College World Series and nine consecutive regionals from 1998-2006 under coach Rick Jones.
He wanted the job just as he did when TJ got the job. He pulled out when it was made clear that Uhlman was going to get the job. That's how it always works out with job searches and the candidate knows he's not getting it.
Like I said. It was a better job when TJ got it. Since then under Dannen it’s gone downhill. He wanted it before he interviewed not after.
Ok let’s for a second go with your theory that he wanted the job. Why on earth wasn’t he hired?
Last edited by Show Me on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

I love how people want to constantly bash GS for not having sources at Tulane but when it suits their purpose they want to cite him. First off he clearly was interested and interviewed. Tom Walter is a long time HC and coached at UNO. He is fully aware that the job and the program are not the same. He is at a private school so he deals with the limitations. It is ignorant to suggest that he didn't know the job had changed.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:15 am I love how people want to constantly bash GS for not having sources at Tulane but when it suits their purpose they want to cite him. First off he clearly was interested and interviewed. Tom Walter is a long time HC and coached at UNO. He is fully aware that the job and the program are not the same. He is at a private school so he deals with the limitations. It is ignorant to suggest that he didn't know the job had changed.
Let’s assume all that. Why then was he not hired?
Please let me know.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Because it was clear the job was going to JU. Like I said all coaches who apply for jobs withdraw their name when they realize they aren't getting the job. Happens all the time.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:18 am Because it was clear the job was going to JU. Like I said all coaches who apply for jobs withdraw their name when they realize they aren't getting the job. Happens all the time.
Not the question. Not asking why he withdrew.
The question is why wasn’t he hired if he was so interested. Is he not a better candidate than Jay U?
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Because it was going to be JU all along. The search was bogus. He believed TJ was a cancer and if removed JU could elevate the team. He was very wrong.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:33 am Because it was going to be JU all along. The search was bogus. He believed TJ was a cancer and if removed JU could elevate the team. He was very wrong.
Not going to change your mind but on this we have a different opinion. Neither the money nor the commitment was there to get Jake, Tom or anyone else with a better resume. The search was bogus because they knew they couldn’t offer what the better candidates wanted (going cheap again) . Jay deserves a chance and I’m not knocking him. I just believe he was the only candidate that didn’t drop out and really wanted the job the most. If he fails to produce I believe the next candidate will be more of the same. I don’t see Troy spending a whole lot of money on making baseball better. Hope I’m wrong here but until then “show me” otherwise.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

It's not about opinions. Everyone agrees that TD doesn't seem committed but he's been the AD for going on 8 years . Walter and the others saw that plainly. They all know the college baseball landscape and know he did away with baseball at his previous school. They also have agents that look into matters to advise if they should be applying. Despite all of that they also saw that the facilities are there and felt they could overcome any obstacles and thus wanted the job. Like every other coaching search once it's clear someone else is getting it they withdraw to save face.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:23 am
winwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:18 am Because it was clear the job was going to JU. Like I said all coaches who apply for jobs withdraw their name when they realize they aren't getting the job. Happens all the time.
Not the question. Not asking why he withdrew.
The question is why wasn’t he hired if he was so interested. Is he not a better candidate than Jay U?
It was fishing season for Dannen--much easier to give the job to JU than actually go out and try to find a good head coach. Dannen doesn't like having to recruit new coaches.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:32 pm 10 Tulane pitchers give up 17 runs tonight
17-2 Campbell up going to bottom of the 9th.
We may not be able to pitch, but we can't hit.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 26715
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:38 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:32 pm 10 Tulane pitchers give up 17 runs tonight
17-2 Campbell up going to bottom of the 9th.
We may not be able to pitch, but we can't hit.
:lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:17 am
Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 am
winwave wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:24 pm Tom Walter very much wanted the job.
Wanted the job? He pulled out like all the others that initially expressed interest. .

Like I said this job has greatly diminished since Dannen became AD. There was no real interest once salary, scholarships and lack commitment emerged during the interview process. We got the best we could that would accept under those circumstances. And if JU doesn’t work out our next coach will have to accept doing more with less in that regard as well.
Just getting a winning season will be challenging going forward. Hope I’m wrong but this article is a stark reminder of why we hired Jay U. (Hold onto recruits etc) was his recruiting class really the best since 2014?

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/inte ... 1.amp.html
Wake Forest coach Tom Walter pulled out of the running in the past week. The job was proving less attractive than in the past, when Tulane went to two College World Series and nine consecutive regionals from 1998-2006 under coach Rick Jones.
He wanted the job just as he did when TJ got the job. He pulled out when it was made clear that Uhlman was going to get the job. That's how it always works out with job searches and the candidate knows he's not getting it.
I thought this was funny.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Real reliable source you got there. BTW, there was a poster on the other site who just recently posted about how bad Walter wanted the job.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:37 pm
It was fishing season for Dannen--much easier to give the job to JU than actually go out and try to find a good head coach. Dannen doesn't like having to recruit new coaches.
That's a hollow argument based upon nothing but a dislike of Dannen. TD clearly doesn't value Baseball the way some fans do. His disregard for Tulane's long history with the sport is disgusting to many. But he didn't mail it in to get to his fishing holes. Makes a good sound bite on an internet bulletin board, but it's just a sophomoric slap at Dannen.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:37 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:37 pm
It was fishing season for Dannen--much easier to give the job to JU than actually go out and try to find a good head coach. Dannen doesn't like having to recruit new coaches.
That's a hollow argument based upon nothing but a dislike of Dannen. TD clearly doesn't value Baseball the way some fans do. His disregard for Tulane's long history with the sport is disgusting to many. But he didn't mail it in to get to his fishing holes. Makes a good sound bite on an internet bulletin board, but it's just a sophomoric slap at Dannen.
D, you're the sophomoric one. At the time the non-search that resulted in JU, there was widespread views that Dannen was hanging at his fishing hole. And whether it was his fishing hole or his NCAA sub-sub committee, he has acknowledged that he was spending 20% of his time on Tulane, and the other 80% on NCAA issues or whatever. Don't let our 2022 football season, that Fritz and the team made happen, blind you to Fitts and Dannen suddenly being effective administrators--because as of yet they aren't, and worse may never be. Try again, D.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:07 pm
D, you're the sophomoric one. At the time the non-search that resulted in JU, there was widespread views that Dannen was hanging at his fishing hole. And whether it was his fishing hole or his NCAA sub-sub committee, he has acknowledged that he was spending 20% of his time on Tulane, and the other 80% on NCAA issues or whatever. Don't let our 2022 football season, that Fritz and the team made happen, blind you to Fitts and Dannen suddenly being effective administrators--because as of yet they aren't, and worse may never be. Try again, D.
I have said the EXACT same thing w/r/t the Cotton Bowl and where Tulane stands. As a matter of fact, I have been attacked for saying nothing has changed w/r/t Tulane's commitment to winning athletics.

The fishing hole comments were funny at first, but it's grown old. I haven't refuted anything you said in the post above, but I do refute that he mailed it in to get to his fishing hole. That's just not true. And at some level you know it's not true.

Maybe it was because he was working on NCAA crap, maybe he didn't put as much into making the job more attractive and had to settle for someone on staff. I agree that TD apparently has little regard for baseball. But to say he hired JU to get to his fishing hole is just repeating a lie that you've said so many times you probably believe it.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:32 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:07 pm
D, you're the sophomoric one. At the time the non-search that resulted in JU, there was widespread views that Dannen was hanging at his fishing hole. And whether it was his fishing hole or his NCAA sub-sub committee, he has acknowledged that he was spending 20% of his time on Tulane, and the other 80% on NCAA issues or whatever. Don't let our 2022 football season, that Fritz and the team made happen, blind you to Fitts and Dannen suddenly being effective administrators--because as of yet they aren't, and worse may never be. Try again, D.
I have said the EXACT same thing w/r/t the Cotton Bowl and where Tulane stands. As a matter of fact, I have been attacked for saying nothing has changed w/r/t Tulane's commitment to winning athletics.

The fishing hole comments were funny at first, but it's grown old. I haven't refuted anything you said in the post above, but I do refute that he mailed it in to get to his fishing hole. That's just not true. And at some level you know it's not true.

Maybe it was because he was working on NCAA crap, maybe he didn't put as much into making the job more attractive and had to settle for someone on staff. I agree that TD apparently has little regard for baseball. But to say he hired JU to get to his fishing hole is just repeating a lie that you've said so many times you probably believe it.
D, none of us know where he is most of the time. The fishing hole was never really funny, but rather pathetic, as it's just part of his 80%--and that's all that matters. Whether he's at the fishing hole or elsewhere doesn't really matter. But "gone fishing" is a common euphemism for I'm not working.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 9893
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Covington, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:18 am Real reliable source you got there. BTW, there was a poster on the other site who just recently posted about how bad Walter wanted the job.
Or maybe that was just someone on the other board repeating what he'd seen you post over there or over here. He does post over here as well, just like you do over there.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 24979
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:00 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:18 am Real reliable source you got there. BTW, there was a poster on the other site who just recently posted about how bad Walter wanted the job.
Or maybe that was just someone on the other board repeating what he'd seen you post over there or over here. He does post over here as well, just like you do over there.
Dead wrong as usual .It was another poster. Others there have also posted about Walter since early on in this debacle of a season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:39 pm D, none of us know where he is most of the time. The fishing hole was never really funny, but rather pathetic, as it's just part of his 80%--and that's all that matters. Whether he's at the fishing hole or elsewhere doesn't really matter. But "gone fishing" is a common euphemism for I'm not working.
You know what, you're right and I apologize for taking it to literally! Duh! I know I can be obstinant when I think I'm right, but here I'm wrong. My bad.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5085
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Back to Campbell
Just happened to see this on Twitter.
Split a DH with Presbyterian :roll:
Post Reply