Tulane Sweeps Temple 83-82

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game is at 1 tomorrow. It will be on ESPN+. Win and we get the 3 seed. Tulane is favored by 5.5.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This is the first time I can remember baseball season being over before basketball. Anybody going to tune in to the baseball team playing Sacramento State in the last place game of their Cali tournament? Or are we going all in on hoops.

I hope the students show up, it appeared they were noticeably absent on Friday Night.

Roll Wave!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Tulane1111
High Tide

Really cut down on the TO’s last game, looked liked the adjustment was having Cook with the ball in his hands much more, bringing the ball up full court & in the half court.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane1111 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:26 am Really cut down on the TO’s last game, looked liked the adjustment was having Cook with the ball in his hands much more, bringing the ball up full court & in the half court.
I remarked during the game that EVERYONE was bringing the ball up, including Sion James, Forbes, even Cross brought it up the court. And your statement about him having the ball in his hands makes little sense. Despite missing 5 games and playing limited minutes in two or three others, Cook leads the team in turnovers. And that's not counting how often his shot is blocked, which by my estimation is somewhere between 2 and 3 times/game.

Cook's game has improved a whole lot the 2nd half of this season and he's picked up his scoring AND his assists. I still don't think he's a NBA caliber player, but he's a much better than Holloway. The team is tired and Hunter shortening the rotation is taking a toll. How do I know? Look at the F/T's as we came down the stretch. I don't see this team making a run in the conference tournament. I was a whole lot more excited about the team 3 weeks ago than I am now.
anEngineer
Riptide

Holloway has been a big disappointment. As for Temple, I wonder if Jourdain is able to play. He made the winning basket Thursday and then hurt his knee chest bumping his teammate. You could see the trainers really looking at it with concern and obvious pain.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No players introduced for Senior Day!
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane up 44-34 at half.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane up 62-52 with 11:52 left.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:10 pm No players introduced for Senior Day!
I was just thinking about this a couple of minutes ago. Does that mean they're all coming back, or did they just decide not to do Senior Day?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave holds on to win 83-82. Secures #3 seed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Our failure to execute one of the most fundamental plays in the game kept Temple in the game and turned a blowout into a nailbiter. Boxing out, basketball 101, simply was not seen by a player with a white jersey all game. The missed FT rebound we gave up was pathetic. It's one thing to claim the D leads to giving up rebounds, it's another to have 3 guys under the basket but nobody boxing out and Reynolds grabbing a board he should have ZERO shot at getting. It's not that we're not in position to rebound, it's that we don't box out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- that's on Hunters refusal to recruit a big man. Reynolds simply reached over them to get the ball. We did box out throughout the game when in position to.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We got the win to secure 3rd and avoid Houston till the CCG if we make it that far. Fun game to be at.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:55 pm D- that's on Hunters refusal to recruit a big man. Reynolds simply reached over them to get the ball. We did box out throughout the game when in position to.
No, win, we didn't. There was at least 5-6 times we had 2 or 3 under the basket and none of them even looked to see if there was someone to box out. Typically it was Reynolds, but others joined in the party. I pointed it out to my kids throughout the game. At one point it happened twice in a possession, we had guys there, but not boxing out allowed another chance on the possession. Boxing out includes backing up so you're in position to get the board or have the big man get called for over the back because he's so much further, the length of your torso, from the ball. We do not box out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:00 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:55 pm D- that's on Hunters refusal to recruit a big man. Reynolds simply reached over them to get the ball. We did box out throughout the game when in position to.
No, win, we didn't. There was at least 5-6 times we had 2 or 3 under the basket and none of them even looked to see if there was someone to box out. Typically it was Reynolds, but others joined in the party. I pointed it out to my kids throughout the game. At one point it happened twice in a possession, we had guys there, but not boxing out allowed another chance on the possession. Boxing out includes backing up so your in position to get the board or have the big man get called for over the back because he's so much further, the length of your torso, from the ball. We do not box out.
We do box out D. They had 2 big men and we had none. My seats are right there by our basket.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:01 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:00 pm
No, win, we didn't. There was at least 5-6 times we had 2 or 3 under the basket and none of them even looked to see if there was someone to box out. Typically it was Reynolds, but others joined in the party. I pointed it out to my kids throughout the game. At one point it happened twice in a possession, we had guys there, but not boxing out allowed another chance on the possession. Boxing out includes backing up so your in position to get the board or have the big man get called for over the back because he's so much further, the length of your torso, from the ball. We do not box out.
We do box out D. They had 2 big men and we had none. My seats are right there by our basket.
I guess TV lies, and makes it appear nobody is looking to box out, and bodies that are doing so with contact on the opponent (part of boxing out) appear to be not even close to the opponent. Or we watched two different games.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We box out when in position. The defense often leaves us no where near the goal. The other big issue is not having a big man while our opponent do.
greenie78
Riptide

Yeah it's really hard to rebound effectively in a zone defense without a legit center roaming the paint. If this core stays next season and the team can bring in a legit big man at center, this rebounding issue goes away.
anEngineer
Riptide

They signed Daniels but he sat all year. Don't know why, but we really need help there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:33 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:10 pm No players introduced for Senior Day!
I was just thinking about this a couple of minutes ago. Does that mean they're all coming back, or did they just decide not to do Senior Day?
It could mean a lot of things. Obviously we're all hoping it means they are coming back which they are all eligible to do. it could just mean none will be graduating yet so they simply didn't qualify. They can stil go pro. If they do graduate by this summer they can do a grad transfer.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hunter gor his 500th win today. Congrats coach!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Drop to #100 in NET with the home win. That weak non-conference schedule costing us an NCAA bid.
https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2023/net
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981