2023 Football Schedule released

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenie78
Riptide

https://fbschedules.com/2023-tulane-football-schedule/

Start conference season at home against UAB on 9/30.

Two Friday night games with at Memphis on 10/13 and the season finale at home against UTSA on 11/25.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

1-0!!! 12 times!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:49 am 1-0!!! 12 times!!!
Can't wait for the season start!!!! First one against USA at home should be fun. They're coming off a 10-3 season, their best in FBS history and it's not a far drive from Mobile so they will bring some fans and it will be a decent test before the Ole Miss game. Hopefully our season opener will bring a packed house coming off our historic season. Roll Wave!!!!
Show Me
Tsunami

Brutal schedule.
We’re 0 for vs the first few teams in our last meeting.
Last edited by Show Me on Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ruski
Swell

Here's the schedule along with the projected SP+ rankings of each team:

1. South Alabama - 66
2. Ole Miss - 18
3. @Southern Miss - 92
4. Nicholls - FCS
5. UAB - 98
6. BYE
7. @Memphis - 61
8. North Texas - 84
9. @Rice - 111
10. @ECU - 95
11. Tulsa - 100
12. @FAU - 81
13. UTSA - 60

I gotta say, this schedule is really favorable for an AAC championship game repeat. No long stretches away. Having the bye between UAB and Memphis is huge. If we can go 3-1 or better in OOC, there's a damn good chance of competing for that NY6 spot.

Would be fun to see UTSA back 2 back in week 13 and the AAC championship. I bet they'd bring a ton of fans for that one.
Show Me
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:12 pm Here's the schedule along with the projected SP+ rankings of each team:

1. South Alabama - 66
2. Ole Miss - 18
3. @Southern Miss - 92
4. Nicholls - FCS
5. UAB - 98
6. BYE
7. @Memphis - 61
8. North Texas - 84
9. @Rice - 111
10. @ECU - 95
11. Tulsa - 100
12. @FAU - 81
13. UTSA - 60

I gotta say, this schedule is really favorable for an AAC championship game repeat. No long stretches away. Having the bye between UAB and Memphis is huge. If we can go 3-1 or better in OOC, there's a damn good chance of competing for that NY6 spot.

Would be fun to see UTSA back 2 back in week 13 and the AAC championship. I bet they'd bring a ton of fans for that one.
Going to be tough. No cakewalk.
Wait. Got South Alabama mixed up with UAB in my previous post. Still tough.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:12 pm Here's the schedule along with the projected SP+ rankings of each team:

1. South Alabama - 66
2. Ole Miss - 18
3. @Southern Miss - 92
4. Nicholls - FCS
5. UAB - 98
6. BYE
7. @Memphis - 61
8. North Texas - 84
9. @Rice - 111
10. @ECU - 95
11. Tulsa - 100
12. @FAU - 81
13. UTSA - 60

11 0f 12 60 or below. If we want respect we'll have to beat Ole Miss. Easiest schedule in a while. Gives us every opportunity to nab the NY6 spot again.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

We lost a lot of talent. The 2023 Tulane team will play this schedule not the 2022 team. Need to beat Southern. Any one of the conference teams could have a big turnaround year. It's been done, right?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Everyone understands we need to show up every week. But this is no tough schedule. It's just not. If we are now a reload program and not a rebuild one this schedule gives us an opportunity to go undefeated. It's easy to come on a Tulane site and try top talk this schedule up but go anywhere else and try to claim this is a tough schedule and people will laugh their ass off at you.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:15 pm Everyone understands we need to show up every week. But this is no tough schedule. It's just not. If we are now a reload program and not a rebuild one this schedule gives us an opportunity to go undefeated. It's easy to come on a Tulane site and try top talk this schedule up but go anywhere else and try to claim this is a tough schedule and people will laugh their ass off at you.
Its not a tough schedule, but there's at least a half dozen teams on it capable of beating you if you're not up for the game. USA, Ole Miss, Memphis and UTSA for starters. Then add USM and ECU because USM will be up for the game, and ECU is always a tough conference out.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenie78
Riptide

Yeah the team needs to be focused week in and week out, but if they continue the 1-0 approach, they will be favored in every game except for the Ole Miss game. We have enough returning talent including our star QB, 4 out of 5 OL, two productive WRs with multiple depth, our entire 2-deep d-line, CBs, kicker, etc. to dominate.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:10 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:15 pm Everyone understands we need to show up every week. But this is no tough schedule. It's just not. If we are now a reload program and not a rebuild one this schedule gives us an opportunity to go undefeated. It's easy to come on a Tulane site and try top talk this schedule up but go anywhere else and try to claim this is a tough schedule and people will laugh their ass off at you.
Its not a tough schedule, but there's at least a half dozen teams on it capable of beating you if you're not up for the game. USA, Ole Miss, Memphis and UTSA for starters. Then add USM and ECU because USM will be up for the game, and ECU is always a tough conference out.
Like I said in my post we all know we have to show up every week. First thing I said. So no it's not a tough schedule. If Willie has found the formula and is the perfect fit at Tulane then this is a 12-0 schedule. If we go back to being 6-6 against this schedule then Willie is a one hit wonder. Here's to 1-0. 12 times.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruski
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:36 pm We lost a lot of talent. The 2023 Tulane team will play this schedule not the 2022 team. Need to beat Southern. Any one of the conference teams could have a big turnaround year. It's been done, right?
With Tom Herman at FAU, North Texas and Tulsa picked up good coachs and lots of transfers, Mike Houston at ECU has been building something nice, I hardly expect a cakewalk.

I fully expect 2/3 teams in the AAC to surprise and raise the profile of the conference. So many new coaches, plenty of good teams out there.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Some fun
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:15 am Welcome to CUSAAC:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/tula ... 9f446.html
Somehow, we got stuck playing the 5 of the 6 teams from C-USA. Almost the same schedule as our last year in C-USA.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:44 am
winwave wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:15 am Welcome to CUSAAC:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/tula ... 9f446.html
Somehow, we got stuck playing the 5 of the 6 teams from C-USA. Almost the same schedule as our last year in C-USA.
Yeah, you would have thought we could at least keep SMU on the schedule. At least we still got Memphis.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

And I bet Navy fans will just be thrilled with their schedule this season. They'd be better off going back to Indy in football. Although somehow they get away with only playing three former CUSA schools.
wave97
Swell

If Navy continues with the flex-bone they will surprise any former CUSA team. AAC teams had a difficult time figuring out how to respond. We haven't played Navy in years so that collective memory is gone, Our scout team can't begin to replicate what they do. If we play Navy in 2024 (or the 2023 CCG) bet on Navy & the points.
anEngineer
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am If Navy continues with the flex-bone they will surprise any former CUSA team. AAC teams had a difficult time figuring out how to respond. We haven't played Navy in years so that collective memory is gone, Our scout team can't begin to replicate what they do. If we play Navy in 2024 (or the 2023 CCG) bet on Navy & the points.
Beating option is about one on one tackling. It isolates each defender to an individual assignment and is all about having consistent quality of defenders. CUSA-level doesn't have that. We did not before, but we do now. I don't expect Navy to be a problem for us as it was previously.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am If Navy continues with the flex-bone they will surprise any former CUSA team. AAC teams had a difficult time figuring out how to respond. We haven't played Navy in years so that collective memory is gone, Our scout team can't begin to replicate what they do. If we play Navy in 2024 (or the 2023 CCG) bet on Navy & the points.
Navy to be a triple threat nightmare
https://pressboxonline.com/2023/01/10/b ... ee-phases/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:01 am
Beating option is about one on one tackling. It isolates each defender to an individual assignment and is all about having consistent quality of defenders. CUSA-level doesn't have that. We did not before, but we do now. I don't expect Navy to be a problem for us as it was previously.
The "soft" zone technique of Chris Hampton keeping everything in front of you, get's you nowhere fast. We have to teach our d lineman how to play a 2 gap (it is very hard to execute), to free up our LB's & Safety. It is the antithesis of everything we've done for the past two years.
It's a bar room brawl up front. Just ask UCF's DC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree. And I think a 2 loss AAC Champion has a serious risk of not getting the NY6 Bowl game. Unless we beat Ole Miss we have to run the table the rest of the season to be assured of that invite. And we best be extremely competitive in any loss. A blowout could be fatal.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:11 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:10 pm
Like I said in my post we all know we have to show up every week. First thing I said. So no it's not a tough schedule. If Willie has found the formula and is the perfect fit at Tulane then this is a 12-0 schedule. If we go back to being 6-6 against this schedule then Willie is a one hit wonder. Here's to 1-0. 12 times.
We have lost some serious talent, but we should be good enough to win a bunch of games in this schedule. Our depth chart should be better than most might expect.

While I agree that is not a “tough schedule” by any means, I don’t feel that it’s a cakewalk. If Fritz has found the formula for big time football, we should not win less than 9 wins vs this schedule.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To be clear I didn't say it was a cakewalk. I just made it clear that there is no way to spin this as a tough schedule. We should win at least 10 against it but even that likely won't get us the NY6 spot which should be the goal every season.