Memphis at Houston MBB game 2/19/23

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
greenie78
Riptide

Who are we going for and why?

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houston so we can knock off #1.

It’s like football now. Pull for all our opponents to win while we continue to go 1-0.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The announcers for this game have some sort of love crush on Memphis as a tournament team.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:34 pm Houston so we can knock off #1.

It’s like football now. Pull for all our opponents to win while we continue to go 1-0.
Eh. Call me bitter but I root for our future conference mates over the Big12 four everytime this year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:25 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:34 pm Houston so we can knock off #1.

Eh. Call me bitter but I root for our future conference mates over the Big12 four everytime this year.
I hear ya but right now it benefits us for them to win.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Hunter played a pitiful non-conference schedule we aren’t passing Memphis for the possible 2nd bid.
greenie78
Riptide

Houston is beatable, but we seem to have a mental block against them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:30 pm Houston is beatable, but we seem to have a mental block against them.
This is based upon nothing but gut feeling: I think Sampson despises Hunter and gets his team fired up to play against him.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

greenie78 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:30 pm Houston is beatable, but we seem to have a mental block against them.
Houston is "beatable" because they have already lost 2 games. One of them was to top-ranked Alabama and the other was a 1-point loss to Temple on a day they just shot horribly and scored 55 points.. it's like our loss to Tulsa that was just a perfect storm of bad things. Houston is very, very good team and it takes flawless performance and some luck to beat them.
Tulane1111
High Tide

If they dont hit or take 3’s is the best chance against them. Today they only had 3… but if they are making the 3’s watch out.

Also need to prepare ourselves for the reach in fouls, refs are not calling them so need to keep good ball security… also you can probably reach in and get away with it!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

72-64 Houston over Memphis
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Feels like Wednesday night is a must win game for us.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:04 am Feels like Wednesday night is a must win game for us.
No question.
Just checked the NET and we slipped back to #86
A road win over Quad 1 Houston could jump us pretty good in the NET and a loss won’t drop us but we’ll have to win the AAC tournament outright to get a bid at that point.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They are all must wins now. Hunter went on and on about beating Houston in his introductory press conference. It's time for him to walk the walk.
anEngineer
Riptide

Like what happened with Coach Fritz, Coach Hunter is still learning how to compete at this level. In a recent interview, Hunter said he has been used to being in a 1-bid conference and builds his team through the year to win the conference tournament, because that was the only team getting in. The AAC can be a 1-bid, but can be a 2-3 bid if you show you can beat quality non-conference teams. Hopefully a couple of quality teams are willing to do home and home agreements next year and we can move forward, because Hunter is ALL about lack of respect and I'm not sure he yields on that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I pointed that out about Hunter earlier this season. He is stuck on his past and unlike Willie he doesn't give in to change. As to scheduling we aren't going to get those type of home and homes. He needs to go on the road and win against good competition. He won't do that of his own volition. TD is going to have to step in.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:35 am Like what happened with Coach Fritz, Coach Hunter is still learning how to compete at this level. In a recent interview, Hunter said he has been used to being in a 1-bid conference and builds his team through the year to win the conference tournament, because that was the only team getting in. The AAC can be a 1-bid, but can be a 2-3 bid if you show you can beat quality non-conference teams. Hopefully a couple of quality teams are willing to do home and home agreements next year and we can move forward, because Hunter is ALL about lack of respect and I'm not sure he yields on that.
We’ll if that’s the case you schedule tough pre conference to better prepare for the league and tournament. Playing weak teams early does none of that. We don’t need a home and home in basketball that’s ridiculous. We don’t do that with teams we currently play at home. We should have played UCF’s pre conference schedule.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:52 am
anEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:35 am Like what happened with Coach Fritz, Coach Hunter is still learning how to compete at this level. In a recent interview, Hunter said he has been used to being in a 1-bid conference and builds his team through the year to win the conference tournament, because that was the only team getting in. The AAC can be a 1-bid, but can be a 2-3 bid if you show you can beat quality non-conference teams. Hopefully a couple of quality teams are willing to do home and home agreements next year and we can move forward, because Hunter is ALL about lack of respect and I'm not sure he yields on that.
We’ll if that’s the case you schedule tough pre conference to better prepare for the league and tournament. Playing weak teams early does none of that. We don’t need a home and home in basketball that’s ridiculous. We don’t do that with teams we currently play at home.
He means a home and home over 2 years, like with football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:56 am
We’ll if that’s the case you schedule tough pre conference to better prepare for the league and tournament. Playing weak teams early does none of that. We don’t need a home and home in basketball that’s ridiculous. We don’t do that with teams we currently play at home.
I know that. But it’s not going to happen. We need to schedule just like Memphis or UCF did this year.
Memphis played 5 SEC schools and built their NET doing so.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 am
I know that. But it’s not going to happen. We need to schedule just like Memphis or UCF did this year.
That's my point about "learning", like Fritz admits to doing.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:01 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 am

That's my point about "learning", like Fritz admits to doing.
If he hasn’t “learned” yet when will he? We have NCAA tournament talent finally and if we get left out we have only ourselves with our pre conference schedule to blame. Next year the conference will be one bid league so I guess it won’t matter at that point.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houston at Memphis on Ch 4 now. 65-63 UH up :28 seconds left Memphis ball.

Houston hit a buzzer beater won 67-65.
Tulane Class of 1981