SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Breaking: Pac-12 Commissioner to meet with SMU Wednesday

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... -wednesday

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This should surprise no one.
oliveandblue
Surge

Our fanbase is fickle and won't show up to watch whatever is left.

Tulane needs to move conferences. This conference is effectively dead and does us nothing now that SMU is out.

The MW is a bit of travel but at least Nevada, CSU, Wyoming, and AF are intriguing.

It's sad - I think we turned the corner a decade too late.
arkhou02
High Tide

It isn’t a decade too late. Not if Tulane University doesn’t want it to be.
greenie78
Riptide

Seems like desperation for the PAC-12. It's not going to save them long term. SMU hasn't come close to winning an AAC Title in football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

https://theathletic.com/4166523/2023/02 ... ed_article
SMU has a unique case to offer to the Pac-12. It’s located in talent-rich Dallas, which would get the league into Texas and the Central time zone for games. The private school is a top-75 national university in the U.S. News & World Report rankings with a $2 billion endowment. A $100 million athletics facility renovation is underway, and SMU is heavily involved in the name, image and likeness world.

The Mustangs don’t move the needle in television ratings, typically a key factor in realignment. But without many needle-movers left in the Group of 5, the Pac-12 may simply need more schools for the sake of inventory in the new TV deal, and SMU would provide a new frontier in Texas. On3 reported that Kliavkoff is expected to attend SMU’s Wednesday men’s basketball game against Temple. A source told The Athletic that SMU football players will likely be in attendance too.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm Our fanbase is fickle and won't show up to watch whatever is left.

Tulane needs to move conferences. This conference is effectively dead and does us nothing now that SMU is out.

The MW is a bit of travel but at least Nevada, CSU, Wyoming, and AF are intriguing.

It's sad - I think we turned the corner a decade too late.
Are you serious? Give me Memphis, Navy, ECU, USF, UAB, UTSA all day over these backwaters
anEngineer
Riptide

I agree that it's an act of desperation, and it may or may not happen. Baseball is important to the PAC and SMU doesn't even play. Also agree that G5 options are dwindling. If you can get a quality university with a competitive athletic dept in a TV market it's a good option. That's why I think we are one of the few options left in a dwindling G5 arena. Winning on a big stage is a huge box checked. I believe we will get a call in the next year or two, especially if we follow up with another solid football season.
Show Me
Tsunami

If we lose SMU I hope we don’t replace them with another crappy program just to fill a spot. Memphis probably next to go.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:10 am I agree that it's an act of desperation, and it may or may not happen. Baseball is important to the PAC and SMU doesn't even play. Also agree that G5 options are dwindling. If you can get a quality university with a competitive athletic dept in a TV market it's a good option. That's why I think we are one of the few options left in a dwindling G5 arena. Winning on a big stage is a huge box checked. I believe we will get a call in the next year or two, especially if we follow up with another solid football season.
Not having baseball is a huge advantage and travel savings in this case.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Adding SMU to the PAC only makes sense if it is the first step toward a broader CTZ presence for the PAC. Alone, the travel will kill SMU--not unlike what it has done to CU since joining the PAC. Only a 4-team CTZ PAC pod can possibly work. It would add more CTZ eyeballs to the PAC and open up the Texas and Louisiana (with Tulane) recruiting turf. Coach Prime would probably love to Pod with schools in Texas and Louisiana.

If we aren't also in consideration, it's an indictment of what Gibson Hall and Wilson Center are not doing. Right now, we have better football and basketball teams, and have more TV eyeballs, than either SMU or SDSU. What we may not have is any proactive leadership from Fitts and Dannen, absent any Cone Of Silence discussions with the ACC and/or Big 12. This CUSAAC is just going to get worse and worse.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:04 am Adding SMU to the PAC only makes sense if it is the first step toward a broader CTZ presence for the PAC. Alone, the travel will kill SMU--not unlike what it has done to CU since joining the PAC. Only a 4-team CTZ PAC pod can possibly work. It would add more CTZ eyeballs to the PAC and open up the Texas and Louisiana (with Tulane) recruiting turf. Coach Prime would probably love to Pod with schools in Texas and Louisiana.

If we aren't also in consideration, it's an indictment of what Gibson Hall and Wilson Center are not doing. Right now, we have better football and basketball teams, and have more TV eyeballs, than either SMU or SDSU. What we may not have is any proactive leadership from Fitts and Dannen, absent any Cone Of Silence discussions with the ACC and/or Big 12. This CUSAAC is just going to get worse and worse.
Excellent point that it only makes sense if they are adding CTZ neighbors. Given what we have seen from Dannen and Fitts the past few weeks, I trust they are acting in the interest of promoting Tulane Athletics to P5 and I think we are definitely high in the mix. Tulane ALWAYS works in the dark and we just have to accept that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dannen has said in a very recent interview and one a few months before that that Tulane is happy and glad to be in the AAC and isn't looking to move on. Those have been posted here. He made it clear that he had no intention at this time to get in a P5 and pretty much said we would have difficulty if we moved to one. His actions, spending 80% of his time on the NCAA and 20% on Tulane among others, that he has given up on Tulane athletics and is looking for a way out for himself. This football season fell in his lap and he was totally unprepared. His only talks of facilities have been scattershot ideas. It's not encouraging. Our only hope right now is the PAC is desperate and does need more teams in the CTZ.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
BC Wave
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:45 am
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:04 am Adding SMU to the PAC only makes sense if it is the first step toward a broader CTZ presence for the PAC. Alone, the travel will kill SMU--not unlike what it has done to CU since joining the PAC. Only a 4-team CTZ PAC pod can possibly work. It would add more CTZ eyeballs to the PAC and open up the Texas and Louisiana (with Tulane) recruiting turf. Coach Prime would probably love to Pod with schools in Texas and Louisiana.

Excellent point that it only makes sense if they are adding CTZ neighbors. Given what we have seen from Dannen and Fitts the past few weeks, I trust they are acting in the interest of promoting Tulane Athletics to P5 and I think we are definitely high in the mix. Tulane ALWAYS works in the dark and we just have to accept that.
Here you go
Give PAC C T Z presence
Harpoon B 12

PAC expansion with pods
SMU
Tulane
TCU
Texas Tech

Wash
Wash St
Ore
Ore St

Cal
Stanford
San Diego St
Fresno St

AZ
AZ St
UU
CU
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:27 pm

Here you go
Give PAC C T Z presence
Harpoon B 12

PAC expansion with pods
SMU
Tulane
TCU
Texas Tech

Wash
Wash St
Ore
Ore St

Cal
Stanford
San Diego St
Fresno St

AZ
AZ St
UU
CU
The Big 12 teams make more money than the Pac 12 teams. So no one is leaving the B12 for the P12.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

lol y'all are in fantasyland. The PAC very well could stand pat with adding SMU and SDSU. Dallas to most everyone in the PAC except the Washington/Oregon schools is about a 2-3 hour flight. SMU is already flying to most schools in the AAC, whats an extra 1/2 hours per flight?

PAC was in talks with Gonzaga a few weeks ago. I would venture they go for SMU and SDSU for now to wash the stink off of losing the LA schools. And figure out some creative way to get ZAGA + Football school (Hawaii? Air Force?) and one WTF addition.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:14 pm lol y'all are in fantasyland. The PAC very well could stand pat with adding SMU and SDSU. Dallas to most everyone in the PAC except the Washington/Oregon schools is about a 2-3 hour flight. SMU is already flying to most schools in the AAC, whats an extra 1/2 hours per flight?

PAC was in talks with Gonzaga a few weeks ago. I would venture they go for SMU and SDSU for now to wash the stink off of losing the LA schools. And figure out some creative way to get ZAGA + Football school (Hawaii? Air Force?) and one WTF addition.
Dallas to San Fran is a 4 hour flight non-stop. That's Stanford and Cal. Then 2 Oregon schools and 2 Washington schools. That is 6 of 12 schools. So you're talking 4 hours + to half the conference.

Now Compare that to the AAC. The only flight longer than 2 1/2 hours is Dallas to Philly (Temple) (3 hours), unless there's a long layover to get to Greenville (ECU). Other than that, everyone else is 2 1/2 hours or less.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:50 pm

Here you go
Give PAC C T Z presence
Harpoon B 12

PAC expansion with pods
SMU
Tulane
TCU
Texas Tech

Wash
Wash St
Ore
Ore St

Cal
Stanford
San Diego St
Fresno St

AZ
AZ St
UU
CU
The Big 12 teams make more money than the Pac 12 teams. So no one is leaving the B12 for the P12.
The PAC needs to be a 14 team conference

North Division... Utah, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State

South Division.... Colorado, SDSU, Arionza, 'Zona State, SMU, plus two, of the following three schools..Tulane, Memphis, UTSA
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

If SMU is added to the Pac-12, this may benefit us as well if the momentum continues from football/basketball. But it is up to administration to use this momentum otherwise athletics will be stagnant.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:04 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:50 pm

Here you go
Give PAC C T Z presence
Harpoon B 12

PAC expansion with pods
SMU
Tulane
TCU
Texas Tech

Wash
Wash St
Ore
Ore St

Cal
Stanford
San Diego St
Fresno St

AZ
AZ St
UU
CU
The PAC needs to be a 14 team conference

North Division... Utah, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State

South Division.... Colorado, SDSU, Arionza, 'Zona State, SMU, plus two, of the following three schools..Tulane, Memphis, UTSA
No Big 12 schools there.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:00 pm
Ruski wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:14 pm lol y'all are in fantasyland. The PAC very well could stand pat with adding SMU and SDSU. Dallas to most everyone in the PAC except the Washington/Oregon schools is about a 2-3 hour flight. SMU is already flying to most schools in the AAC, whats an extra 1/2 hours per flight?

Dallas to San Fran is a 4 hour flight non-stop. That's Stanford and Cal. Then 2 Oregon schools and 2 Washington schools. That is 6 of 12 schools. So you're talking 4 hours + to half the conference.

Now Compare that to the AAC. The only flight longer than 2 1/2 hours is Dallas to Philly (Temple) (3 hours), unless there's a long layover to get to Greenville (ECU). Other than that, everyone else is 2 1/2 hours or less.
Or said another way.... Dallas to 6 of 12 PAC schools is about the same as any school in the AAC. Dallas to 8 of 12 PAC schools is only an extra 1-2 hours per flight than any AAC school. (My original point)

Only trips to WA/OR schools add significant flight time.
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:10 am I agree that it's an act of desperation, and it may or may not happen. Baseball is important to the PAC and SMU doesn't even play. Also agree that G5 options are dwindling. If you can get a quality university with a competitive athletic dept in a TV market it's a good option. That's why I think we are one of the few options left in a dwindling G5 arena. Winning on a big stage is a huge box checked. I believe we will get a call in the next year or two, especially if we follow up with another solid football season.
It's not an advantage for the remaining PAC baseball programs who lose 2 quality series weekends, and SMU gets them nothing there. Also, baseball is one of the most cost effective with travel because you get 3 games out of it. Tulane traditionally goes out west for a series and is doing it twice this year.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:08 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am
It's not an advantage for the remaining PAC baseball programs who lose 2 quality series weekends, and SMU gets them nothing there. Also, baseball is one of the most cost effective with travel because you get 3 games out of it. Tulane traditionally goes out west for a series and is doing it twice this year.
I love the sport but realistically it doesn’t draw flies on the West Coast. Replacing those two baseball powers are down the line in importance. You have a two hour time change just with travel. Even though the travel involves a weekend it’s still not an ideal situation. SMU has been proactive and will see the fruits before we do being reactive. They did fine in the AAC with no baseball. If the PAC told them get the sport started and we’ll invite you they’d do so in a heartbeat.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I still think the PAC would be better off going to 16 teams, in four pods. The East Pod could be CU, SMU, Tulane and then pick one from CSU, Memphis, UTSA or Rice (if PAC still wants to be academically aloof). Add SDSU and UNLV or Nevada-Reno and pod them with Arizona and Zona State, in the Southern Pod, The North Pod would be the four Washington and Oregon schools. And the West Pod would be Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, Utah and probably Boise State.

Four such pods would provide huge relief to non-revenue sports travel. Football schedule would be 3-2-2-2-3 OOC games.

Basketball would be home and home with same Pod members, and play other Pod teams once per year (2 home games and 2 road games against other Pod members) --and schedule the 2 road games for the same trip--that way Tulane only travels to SoCal once, NoCal once and the Great NW once each year. Baseball and other sports would schedule in a fashion similar to basketball--make SMU start a baseball program, even if it means they have to discontinue their Men's Synchronized Swimming Team.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I think it was the Big 12 Commish Yormark that had discussions with Gonzaga a few weeks ago. Possibly as a non-football member to further the Big 12's current #1 basketball conference status. I haven't ever seen anything about the PAC talking with Gonzaga. If the PAC wants the most new TV eyeballs, they should go after Tulane and CSU, rather than SDSU and SMU. But there is no G5 combination that will replace USC and UCLA.