SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
GretnaGreen
Low Tide

Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
Has some University official told you "Tulane does not want to be in the PAC 12"?

HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:38 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:48 am Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
BS. Utter and complete BS. If the PAC 12 offered us an invite today, we'd say "how soon can we PAC our bags?" Speak for yourself, most of the rest of us would kill to be in the PAC 12 rather than the AAC, and no PEE conference is banging on our door.
:lol: :lol: :lol: "PAC our bags"--that's a great one, D.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GretnaGreen wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:56 pm
Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
Has some University official told you "Tulane does not want to be in the PAC 12"?
I can assure you nobody representing Tulane has told that to gb. I spoke with some in the athletic administration, and I can assure you they will take the first P5 offer. And as far as gb's barking about the "University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!" he's only speaking for himself. Not that they matter, but if you polled most of the faculty, they'd vote for the PAC12 over the Big12 every day of the year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:27 pm
GretnaGreen wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:56 pm Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
I can assure you nobody representing Tulane has told that to gb. I spoke with some in the athletic administration, and I can assure you they will take the first P5 offer. And as far as gb's barking about the "University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!" he's only speaking for himself. Not that they matter, but if you polled most of the faculty, they'd vote for the PAC12 over the Big12 every day of the year.
[/quote]
GAWD...Leave the damn faculty out of this...they are the reason we are, where we are.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

And the wait continues, destiny of league depends on PAC 12 tv deal, tv deal now not expected until late spring or summer. https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ing-summer
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
anEngineer
Riptide

The irony is that the media outlets don't want to commit to a deal until they know for sure who will be in the league and potential new members don't want to commit until they know that the league survives with good money. It's probably going to take top secret contingency agreements with schools that the media outlets can rely on.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:17 am The irony is that the media outlets don't want to commit to a deal until they know for sure who will be in the league and potential new members don't want to commit until they know that the league survives with good money. It's probably going to take top secret contingency agreements with schools that the media outlets can rely on.
That's my take from what I've read as well. The commish of the PAC is in a tough spot and all the uncertainty is preventing the dominos from falling. It seems clear that a Big 12-sized deal is unlikely, and even getting $30 million/yr. to the "Marquee" schools is going to be tough (if they do an uneven split). All the legacy schools getting that much is highly unlikely, given the environment the negotiations are taking place in.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:17 am The irony is that the media outlets don't want to commit to a deal until they know for sure who will be in the league and potential new members don't want to commit until they know that the league survives with good money. It's probably going to take top secret contingency agreements with schools that the media outlets can rely on.
+1, everyone knows the Big 12 has put a 🎯 on the PAC “Four Corner” schools.
Greeniegb
Swell

GretnaGreen wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:56 pm Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
[/quote]

It was noted that as soon as the Pac 12 contacted them they contacted the Big 12 because of natural rivalries, and for the above reasons, fans complain of weekday games now being an issue, with Pacific start times it would be terrible for fans!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:14 pm

Yes, gb. Supposedly we did reach out to the Big 12 after being contacted by the PAC 12, and if we got offers from both few doubt that we would take the Big 12 offer---that said, Tulane will still take the first P5 offer they get, including if it is from the PAC 12.
greenie78
Riptide

https://twitter.com/TheBrandtofWV/statu ... 56897?s=20

Big 12 insider thinks Tulane has a better chance than SMU and states SMU doesn't have the votes to get in.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Don't think SMU is AAU. PAC 12 is mostly AAU.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:36 pm https://twitter.com/TheBrandtofWV/statu ... 56897?s=20

Big 12 insider thinks Tulane has a better chance than SMU and states SMU doesn't have the votes to get in.
That’s an interesting Twitter string, and I agree with the OS Beav post. The PAC’s best move would be to go to 14 teams, with Tulane, SDSU, SMU and CSU. In which case we’d likely be in the East division, presumably with SMU, CU, CSU, Utah and the two Zonas. Probably a 6-3-3 OOC schedule. Can you imagine that instead of AACUSA? Start the Upper Deck construction.
MicMan
Swell

Did Fritz sign his extension?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:57 am Did Fritz sign his extension?
Why do we even have to ask?

The answer is that this administration doesn't have a clue how to act like a University that cares about Athletics. Same old Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

MicMan wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:57 am Did Fritz sign his extension?
It seems like it.

Wave755
Tsunami

CW to the rescue for PAC 12 media deal?
https://www.outkick.com/pac-12-football ... -to-thecw/
anEngineer
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:56 pm CW to the rescue for PAC 12 media deal?
https://www.outkick.com/pac-12-football ... -to-thecw/
There are a lot of indications that LIV is essentially paying or subsidizing CW to broadcast their exhibitions. Let's hope PAC is not looking at a similar type of deal.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just read this in the Athletic mailbag
When it comes to the Pac-12’s presidents. San Diego State checks all the boxes athletically — since 2009-10, the Aztecs have the highest combined winning percentage in the country in football and men’s basketball (.737), just above Ohio State. But Pac-12 presidents care as much or more about academics and cultural fit, and their opinion of San Diego State as a university is unknown. It has not yet achieved the R1 designation awarded to the nation’s most prestigious research schools. Every current Pac-12 school is an R1 institution.

That being said, hardly any of the commonly discussed Pac-12 expansion candidates have R1 status, including SMU.
FYI Tulane has R1 status
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:00 am Just read this in the Athletic mailbag
When it comes to the Pac-12’s presidents. San Diego State checks all the boxes athletically — since 2009-10, the Aztecs have the highest combined winning percentage in the country in football and men’s basketball (.737), just above Ohio State. But Pac-12 presidents care as much or more about academics and cultural fit, and their opinion of San Diego State as a university is unknown. It has not yet achieved the R1 designation awarded to the nation’s most prestigious research schools. Every current Pac-12 school is an R1 institution.

That being said, hardly any of the commonly discussed Pac-12 expansion candidates have R1 status, including SMU.
FYI Tulane has R1 status
Come on George Kliavkoff, get that media deal ✅ done!🤞🏻
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:00 am Just read this in the Athletic mailbag

FYI Tulane has R1 status
So does Rice and CSU--also UNLV and UN-Reno. SDSU, SMU and Boise St. are R2. Fresno St. doesn't even make the R2 status. What role these academic metrics play with the PAC presidents is anyone's guess. But it sure looks like we check more boxes than anyone, including football competitiveness. The question the PAC has to answer is do they expand to better themselves and whatever TV contracts they get, for the next 5 or 6 years, or do they play the long strategy well beyond the next 5 or 6 years? If they stick to the long game, I think Rice would be a good candidate, and could readily become a strong program given its massive endowment and location. Like Tulane, it's just a question of how committed Rice Administration will be. Long term, Tulane, Rice and CSU would seem to be solid expansion candidates given the PAC academic preferences. Too bad SMU might get eliminated because it's more of a business and law oriented school than science or engineering school. If this R1 stuff is so critical, UNLV could be #4. But I can't see the PAC passing on SDSU--I think they'll punt on the R1 requirement.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

That would tell me that none of the current PAC teams would be anxious to move to the Big12 where there is only one AAU school, Kansas. Kansas would jump to the big ten in a heartbeat .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave Fan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:57 am That would tell me that none of the current PAC teams would be anxious to move to the Big12 where there is only one AAU school, Kansas. Kansas would jump to the big ten in a heartbeat .
That is true. The Big 12 is an AAU wasteland, but most of the Big 12 are R1 schools. I think only Baylor isn't an R1 school.
greenie78
Riptide

I think the PAC-12 commish is more interested in SMU than the rest of the conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:22 am
Wave Fan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:57 am That would tell me that none of the current PAC teams would be anxious to move to the Big12 where there is only one AAU school, Kansas. Kansas would jump to the big ten in a heartbeat .
That is true. The Big 12 is an AAU wasteland, but most of the Big 12 are R1 schools. I think only Baylor isn't an R1 school.
The Carnegie R1 Classification for Institutions of Higher Education is a joke since even ULALA & Southern Mississippi are recognized. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ted_States

The PAC 12 cares about nothing but Association of American Universities (AAU) status. Do you really think the PAC 12 would ever seriously consider ULALA or USM for membership?