SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane mentioned
https://theathletic.com/4310747/2023/03 ... ed_article
If SMU is getting so much attention as a target for the Pac-12, why aren’t Tulane and Memphis getting similar looks? Both have competed in New Year’s Six bowls, are in fertile recruiting territory that opens new television markets and play in the Central time zone. It seems if you’re going to expand anyway, go big and become the Pac-16. — Red Dot
You might be onto something with Tulane, though. Tulane is a top-50 university located in a major sports market smack dab in the most fertile recruiting region of the country. There’s a lot to like there. On the other hand, as great as last season was, it was the first time in 24 years that Tulane produced a ranked football team. It does not have the track record of Cincinnati, UCF or Houston.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In one of the articles that quoted the Arizona president he said they wanted SMU because they wanted to get into Texas. So it didn't seem to be about getting into the CTZ. Makes sense too because even just adding Tulane you'd only have 2 teams in the CTZ. You're not going to keep giving the same two teams the early TV spot every week. You'd need to add several schools. But as one of the answers to another question in that article says there are very few schools out there that add value to a league. That's why the B12 is only looking at current p5's to add. Otherwise they stay put.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

We will know a lot more for where things are heading with the PAC 12 after its meeting this Tuesday, March 21st. We just need to keep winning, 2023 should be another big year for the Wave. https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac- ... n-tuesday/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:41 am We will know a lot more for where things are heading with the PAC 12 after its meeting this Tuesday, March 21st. We just need to keep winning, 2023 should be another big year for the Wave. https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac- ... n-tuesday/
I thought the same thing about the PAC 12's AD's and Presidents Meetings on March 7th. Nothing came out because the PAC 12's commissioner had nothing to announce. I doubt this Tuesday will be any different.

I agree with winwave's assessment as he states above. And this is what many have posted before and will again. Tulane is not going to add value to a conference at this time. As great as 2023 was, it was a very isolated season in a history that has very few remarkable seasons. We still have one of the all-time worst records in D1. We need to win 10 games (not 7 or 8) for about 5 years, go to the NY6 game at least once more if not twice to make it 3x in 5 years, and show that we're not a one-hit wonder. And with nothing publically announced by this administration to show we want to be at the top of the list for a P5 invite, we've wasted the Cotton Bowl dividend, in my opinion.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:57 am
Wave755 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:41 am We will know a lot more for where things are heading with the PAC 12 after its meeting this Tuesday, March 21st. We just need to keep winning, 2023 should be another big year for the Wave. https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac- ... n-tuesday/
I thought the same thing about the PAC 12's AD's and Presidents Meetings on March 7th. Nothing came out because the PAC 12's commissioner had nothing to announce. I doubt this Tuesday will be any different.

I agree with winwave's assessment as he states above. And this is what many have posted before and will again. Tulane is not going to add value to a conference at this time. As great as 2023 was, it was a very isolated season in a history that has very few remarkable seasons. We still have one of the all-time worst records in D1. We need to win 10 games (not 7 or 8) for about 5 years, go to the NY6 game at least once more if not twice to make it 3x in 5 years, and show that we're not a one-hit wonder. And with nothing publically announced by this administration to show we want to be at the top of the list for a P5 invite, we've wasted the Cotton Bowl dividend, in my opinion.
We are in New Orleans, a famous city, and have Association of American Universities (AAU) membership, our university is 189 years old and our endowment is now reaching 2 billion dollars. All of these things place us for value far above almost all other G5s. Let's see how we do against Ole Miss @ Yulman on 9/9/2023.
🤞
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane’s only shot at a power conference invite in this round of realignment is if the PAC 12 expands by 4, and, even then, Tulane would be a long shot.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:39 am Tulane’s only shot at a power conference invite in this round of realignment is if the PAC 12 expands by 4, and, even then, Tulane would be a long shot.
I could not agree more. The only other shot we have would be if a conference wanted to front-run other conferences to grab Tulane, but it doesn't seem like anyone's getting in line for our Green Wave. One great football season is not enough to fix decades of neglect and mismanagement.
greenie78
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:39 am

Tulane’s only shot at a power conference invite in this round of realignment is if the PAC 12 expands by 4, and, even then, Tulane would be a long shot.
I disagree. If the P12 expands by 4, we have a good shot getting in. But from what I'm seeing, they might just do two for now.
anEngineer
Riptide

There is usually a single theme/event to each realignment and that has to resolve itself before anything else is done. The theme this time is PAC contract and survival. Since that has yet to be resolved, no one else is willing to make commitments in an unclear environment. Once it's over (one way or the other), the other conferences can react. Since the current issue is dragging so long, reactions probably won't happen until later in the year or early next year. We just have to show that we're not a fluke.
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:09 am There is usually a single theme/event to each realignment and that has to resolve itself before anything else is done. The theme this time is PAC contract and survival. Since that has yet to be resolved, no one else is willing to make commitments in an unclear environment. Once it's over (one way or the other), the other conferences can react. Since the current issue is dragging so long, reactions probably won't happen until later in the year or early next year. We just have to show that we're not a fluke.
+1, first there must be a PAC 12 media rights deal after which expansion talks can then begin in earnest. :D
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:16 am
anEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:09 am There is usually a single theme/event to each realignment and that has to resolve itself before anything else is done. The theme this time is PAC contract and survival. Since that has yet to be resolved, no one else is willing to make commitments in an unclear environment. Once it's over (one way or the other), the other conferences can react. Since the current issue is dragging so long, reactions probably won't happen until later in the year or early next year. We just have to show that we're not a fluke.
+1, first there must be a PAC 12 media rights deal after which expansion talks can then begin in earnest. :D
looks like on Tuesday, 3-21-23, the Pac prez's will get an update on a media contract and /or negotiations
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:27 am
Wave755 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:16 am
looks like on Tuesday, 3-21-23, the Pac prez's will get an update on a media contract and /or negotiations
That's just what the article I posted said. https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac- ... n-tuesday/
We will know a lot more after Tuesday.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I disagree. Need to win 10 games for five years in a row and go to theNY6 bowl 2-3 times in five years? That's not something even Cincy and UCF did. Heck, We've had more 10 win seasons in the past 38 years than SMU has and we've been to more NY6/BCS bowl games. If that was the criteria, then we would be ahead of them.

And in this particular situation regarding possible PAC12 expansion, academics matters. Other than not bringing the Texas/DFW market, and facilities, we surpass SMU in every other metric.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer
Riptide

Like almost all media in this country, it's hundreds of people who don't actually KNOW anything, but they are writing like they do. You really can't believe anything you read anymore until it actually happened.
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 am Tulane mentioned
If SMU is getting so much attention as a target for the Pac-12, why aren’t Tulane and Memphis getting similar looks? Both have competed in New Year’s Six bowls, are in fertile recruiting territory that opens new television markets and play in the Central time zone. It seems if you’re going to expand anyway, go big and become the Pac-16. — Red Dot
You might be onto something with Tulane, though. Tulane is a top-50 university located in a major sports market smack dab in the most fertile recruiting region of the country. There’s a lot to like there. On the other hand, as great as last season was, it was the first time in 24 years that Tulane produced a ranked football team. It does not have the track record of Cincinnati, UCF or Houston.
SMU invest 250 million in World Class Facilities:
https://www.dallasnews.com/fwddfw/2022/ ... acilities/
Jaxwave
Swell

Just like following Tulane sports, I will enjoy the ride, expect nothing and be happy for the school and kids if/ when they win. Been burnt too many times in the past.
I was completely ecstatic to win the Cotton Bowl but I was already happy with our season and performance in that game before the comeback.
By the way when did we become a football school?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Greeniegb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:28 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 am Tulane mentioned
SMU invest 250 million in World Class Facilities:
https://www.dallasnews.com/fwddfw/2022/ ... acilities/
Since 2013, SMU Athletics has invested over $250 million in championship-caliber facilities across campus
Over the last ten years. What has it gotten them? One 10 win football season, no conference championships in football or basketball, no NY6 bowl games.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:34 pm

Over the last ten years. What has it gotten them? One 10 win football season, no conference championships in football or basketball, no NY6 bowl games.
So it's gotten them as many 10-win seasons as we've had, 1 less NY6 game and an apparent invite to the PAC 12.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:37 am

So it's gotten them as many 10-win seasons as we've had, 1 less NY6 game and an apparent invite to the PAC 12.
So they've spent a ton of money for one less conference championship, one less NY6 game, and one less top 10 ranking. Congratulations to them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 am

So they've spent a ton of money for one less conference championship, one less NY6 game, and one less top 10 ranking. Congratulations to them.
They've shown they care about athletics. Something Tulane has not demonstrated. And I think we'd trade all of those short-lived accomplishments for a P5 invite in a heartbeat. It may not work out, the PAC 12 may implode, but SMU is ahead of us on the list despite our one great season in the past 25 years, 2 in my lifetime. Let's win 10 games two years in a row for the first time in our lives. Better yet, let's make it known to the world, as SMU has, that Tulane wants to have something more than an occasionally relevant athletics program. I think we have a shot at back-to-back 10-win seasons, the latter we have no shot at. We continue to be Tulane, with our administrative heads in the sand.

These comments about "what has SMU got for their money" miss the point and tell me we have fans that think like Tulane administration thinks. What SMU has done kept them ahead of Tulane in the pecking order. Tulane has a HUGE albatross to overcome: our record (and public perception) is downright terrible. Football is 200 games under .500 since 1945, perhaps the worst record in D1 over that span. We've sucked at sports for most of our existence. (Sorry if that's too blunt for some of you but it needs to be stated as folks don't seem to realize how much it holds us back.) That isn't easily overcome and this albatross won't be overcome unless we recognize it's existence rather than whistling past the graveyard thinking everything is hunky dory. It's not. We won 12 games and the Cotton Bowl. We've done nothing other than that to show we're committed to winning D1 sports. We're demonstrating one thing: Same old Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its got NOTHING to do with what SMU has spent money on, and EVERYTHING to do with the DFW market. Period. That's the only reason they're ahead of us in the pecking order. Do you think they'd be getting an invite if they were located in Tulsa?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:29 am Its got NOTHING to do with what SMU has spent money on, and EVERYTHING to do with the DFW market. Period. That's the only reason they're ahead of us in the pecking order. Do you think they'd be getting an invite if they were located in Tulsa?
It's been widely perceived that SMU was next in the pecking order for years. They were ignored by the Big 12 because of their history with the rest of the conference and TCU's presence. Why are you jealous of SMU? I don't particularly like them, but you cannot say they haven't done everything possible to get a P5 invite.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:12 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 am

They've shown they care about athletics. Something Tulane has not demonstrated. And I think we'd trade all of those short-lived accomplishments for a P5 invite in a heartbeat. It may not work out, the PAC 12 may implode, but SMU is ahead of us on the list despite our one great season in the past 25 years, 2 in my lifetime. Let's win 10 games two years in a row for the first time in our lives. Better yet, let's make it known to the world, as SMU has, that Tulane wants to have something more than an occasionally relevant athletics program. I think we have a shot at back-to-back 10-win seasons, the latter we have no shot at. We continue to be Tulane, with our administrative heads in the sand.

These comments about "what has SMU got for their money" miss the point and tell me we have fans that think like Tulane administration thinks. What SMU has done kept them ahead of Tulane in the pecking order. Tulane has a HUGE albatross to overcome: our record (and public perception) is downright terrible. Football is 200 games under .500 since 1945, perhaps the worst record in D1 over that span. We've sucked at sports for most of our existence. (Sorry if that's too blunt for some of you but it needs to be stated as folks don't seem to realize how much it holds us back.) That isn't easily overcome and this albatross won't be overcome unless we recognize it's existence rather than whistling past the graveyard thinking everything is hunky dory. It's not. We won 12 games and the Cotton Bowl. We've done nothing other than that to show we're committed to winning D1 sports. We're demonstrating one thing: Same old Tulane.
You must be fun at parties D. Anyway, SMU hasn't done much since they've come off the death penalty. They've been in four different conferences, haven't sniffed a conference championship, haven't sniffed a major bowl or a top 10 appearance in that time span. And their current stadium is barely bigger than Yulman. And no one is saying that Tulane shouldn't try to show they're trying to compete at a higher level, but it takes alot of money, maybe money the school doesn't have, but they've shown improvements in both football and basketball lately, trying to get into a bigger conference among other things by reaching out to the Big 12 and PAC-12. You like to talk about facts, but you conveniently leave out facts to suit your own point of view.