SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 am
anEngineer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm I don't think I understand what you think you have to hear. We have an IPF coming as early as November. The football locker rooms and coaches offices are being rebuilt right now. NO ONE is ever going to negotiate conference realignment issues publicly; why would Tulane? SMU and San Diego St aren't making public statements. We all would love to hear daily updates and proclamations, but that's just not the way it works... for anyone.
Well said!
What I want to hear from the University isn't "we're in discussions with ______P5 Conference." I know those are kept quiet for a lot of reasons. But what I want is a press conference much like Colorado had in the weeks after hiring Deion, noting institutional changes. Use the announcement of the IPF (which should have a presser) as a platform put on the big boy pants. I'd like to hear something like: "We're doing EVERYTHING in our power to demonstrate we're committed to competing at the highest levels in college athletics. We're going to finish building our stadium with an addition on the visiting team side, we're going to review how we accept transfer credits for athletes, and have different admissions standards for athletes as well. I want to stop pretending we're serious about athletics and start acting like we belong. The days of being worried about our academic reputation suffering because we have a great athletics department must be over. Otherwise when the final split happens, we'll be lumped in with the Have Nots forever.
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:49 pm Deion was able to get Colorado to change its academic standards in order for him to get players.

Colorado to Change Transfer Policy Following Deion Sanders Hire
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/operat ... nders-hire
A smart move by CU. They recognize that their policies regarding approx. 300 athletes will have nothing to do with their academic reputation--as established by thousands of other students and alums.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

I would be hesitant about leaving the PAC for the Big 12. The PAC schools, other than Wazzu and Oregon State, are first-tier universities. And it's more than academics. The Big 12 schools, other than maybe Kansas, are 2nd or 3rd tier (and most are 2nd tier, even within their own states; it's remarkable, really, how they maintain the "power" status and how they got an increased TV deal).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:55 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm I don't think I understand what you think you have to hear. We have an IPF coming as early as November. The football locker rooms and coaches offices are being rebuilt right now. NO ONE is ever going to negotiate conference realignment issues publicly; why would Tulane? SMU and San Diego St aren't making public statements. We all would love to hear daily updates and proclamations, but that's just not the way it works... for anyone.
Well said!
What I want to hear from the University isn't "we're in discussions with ______P5 Conference." I know those are kept quiet for a lot of reasons. But what I want is a press conference much like Colorado had in the weeks after hiring Deion, noting institutional changes. Use the announcement of the IPF (which should have a presser) as a platform put on the big boy pants. I'd like to hear something like: "We're doing EVERYTHING in our power to demonstrate we're committed to competing at the highest levels in college athletics. We're going to finish building our stadium with an addition on the visiting team side, we're going to review how we accept transfer credits for athletes, and have different admissions standards for athletes as well. I want to stop pretending we're serious about athletics and start acting like we belong. The days of being worried about our academic reputation suffering because we have a great athletics department must be over. Otherwise when the final split happens, we'll be lumped in with the Have Nots forever.
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm
A smart move by CU. They recognize that their policies regarding approx. 300 athletes will have nothing to do with their academic reputation--as established by thousands of other students and alums.
D- agree with most of what you say there. As to admission standards for athletes that changed when CJ took over. Tulane accepts athletes at the NCAA minimums. Spears got in on a 19 as the most recent article read this week.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

No legitimate university is going to publicly and loudly announce that they are lowering their academic standards for athletics. Its not something to actually be proud of. You quietly do it, which has been noted was already done. Any negotiations with another conference would be made well aware of what Tulane's athletic admission policy is. While doing it in public may satisfy a few fans, it doesn't do anything for anyone who is making decisions. It looks more like groveling.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I should have added too that at the same time as the academic standards were lowered over a decade ago they also instituted several athlete friendly majors. Notice we haven't lost anyone to grades in a long time. also, we have had a number of JUCO transfers and other transfers from the likes of Nicholls St., South Alabama, Marshall and the such.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:18 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:55 pm
Well said!
D- agree with most of what you say there. As to admission standards for athletes that changed when CJ took over. Tulane accepts athletes at the NCAA minimums. Spears got in on a 19 as the most recent article read this week.
Those minimum requirements have been changed since Covid and remain changed. However Tulane does require a minimum ACT test score but not everyone we compete against requires it.
This is not an argument I’m just stating a change in NCAA policy.
Since Covid began students who intend to play D1 sports are not required to take the ACT or SAT by the NCAA. Students are also allowed to use pass/fail grades for core courses through the academic year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Please cite the rule change. It reads as if it is temporary. It also appears Tulane is far from alone in still requiring a score on the ACT.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Rule changes. They may or may not continue in 2024. But since Covid no ACT required. There’s been a push to eliminate standardized testing so I would not be surprised to see this made permanent. Tulane loves to brag about its high avg ACT acceptance score so this could present them with an issue.
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/4/14/div ... icies.aspx
These standards, which do not require submission of a standardized test score, will be considered automatic waivers, meaning that students who meet these criteria are academically eligible to receive an athletics scholarship, practice and compete in their first year at an NCAA member school
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link. So as I thought it was limited in scope and many still used the old requirements anyway.

"Students who initially enroll full time during the 2021-22 or 2022-23 academic years and intend to play NCAA Division I or II athletics will not be required to take a standardized test to meet NCAA initial-eligibility requirements."
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:50 am No legitimate university is going to publicly and loudly announce that they are lowering their academic standards for athletics. Its not something to actually be proud of. You quietly do it, which has been noted was already done. Any negotiations with another conference would be made well aware of what Tulane's athletic admission policy is. While doing it in public may satisfy a few fans, it doesn't do anything for anyone who is making decisions. It looks more like groveling.
First off, I get your point about not announcing we're changing admissions policies for athletes, I want us to make that adjustment internally. I don't think anyone on this board doesn't remember how pissed we were at the previous director of admissions a short time ago.

As far as "no legitimate University is going to publically" and loudly make such an announcement, I guess you didn't read the post quoted or the article linked in that post. CU said they were reviewing how transfer credits were accepted, an area we've had particular issues with and lost players as a result.

You can nitpick all you want. My point is we need to act like we're serious, we need to change all perception of Tulane Athletics because most think we're not serious about sports. Period.

And to this day, any P conference that announced Tulane was extended an invite would get the same reaction we got when the Big East made their announcement. That's what I want to have our administration address.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:00 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:50 am No legitimate university is going to publicly and loudly announce that they are lowering their academic standards for athletics. Its not something to actually be proud of. You quietly do it, which has been noted was already done. Any negotiations with another conference would be made well aware of what Tulane's athletic admission policy is. While doing it in public may satisfy a few fans, it doesn't do anything for anyone who is making decisions. It looks more like groveling.
First off, I get your point about not announcing we're changing admissions policies for athletes, I want us to make that adjustment internally. I don't think anyone on this board doesn't remember how pissed we were at the previous director of admissions a short time ago.

As far as "no legitimate University is going to publically" and loudly make such an announcement, I guess you didn't read the post quoted or the article linked in that post. CU said they were reviewing how transfer credits were accepted, an area we've had particular issues with and lost players as a result.

You can nitpick all you want. My point is we need to act like we're serious, we need to change all perception of Tulane Athletics because most think we're not serious about sports. Period.

And to this day, any P conference that announced Tulane was extended an invite would get the same reaction we got when the Big East made their announcement. That's what I want to have our administration address.
There isn’t a quick fix to Tulane’s perception as most of that criticism is valid (small fanbase, history of losing, low attendance, low viewership, etc.), and no announcement can change that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... the-pac-12

Pac-12 insider makes the case for Tulane and Rice to join the Pac-12
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Greeniegb
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:43 pm https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... the-pac-12

Not happening because we are not interested. Big 12 or nothing!!!
greenie78
Riptide

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:50 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:43 pm https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... the-pac-12

Not happening because we are not interested. Big 12 or nothing!!!
Not true. Big-12 is the preference, but there's definitely interest from both parties. However, after that Hawaii series, I'm wondering if all that travel will be worth it :lol:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

It's not looking good for the Pac 12 even surviving at this point., unfortunately.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:45 am It's not looking good for the Pac 12 even surviving at this point., unfortunately.
Timing is horrible also. The country will likely be facing a severe recession in the coming months/year.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 am
Bigschtick wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:45 am It's not looking good for the Pac 12 even surviving at this point., unfortunately.
Timing is horrible also. The country will likely be facing a severe recession in the coming months/year.
sorta odd the Big12 wants to expand into a geographic region, that the media is looking to avoid at all costs...eventually the big10 will regret going past the mountain time zone a 7pm kik in LA is 10pm on the east coast, unless you mandate that usc and ucla have 3pm kik offs only, unless they include a WWE or Texas Hold'em event for pre, post and halftime festivities, ....a noon kik in ann arbor is 9am in LaLa land... the big12 needs to bite the bullet with byu, and be very media and cost effective for expansion opportunites
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

SMU still in “limbo” for PAC 12 offer. https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... n-for-smu/ Let’s hope the PAC 12 holds together & then expands to 14. AAU status means something for this conference and not just to the “Stanford - Cal. Berkeley pod” and, our endowment now reaching 2 billion is also a plus. A big year for Tulane football 🏈 in 2023 could ensure we will soon be on our way out of CUSAAAC Hell.
Greeniegb
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:54 am SMU still in “limbo” for PAC 12 offer. https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... n-for-smu/ Let’s hope the PAC 12 holds together & then expands to 14. AAU status means something for this conference and not just to the “Stanford - Cal. Berkeley pod” and, our endowment now reaching 2 billion is also a plus. A big year for Tulane football 🏈 in 2023 could ensure we will soon be on our way out of CUSAAAC Hell.
Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:54 am SMU still in “limbo” for PAC 12 offer. https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... n-for-smu/ Let’s hope the PAC 12 holds together & then expands to 14. AAU status means something for this conference and not just to the “Stanford - Cal. Berkeley pod” and, our endowment now reaching 2 billion is also a plus. A big year for Tulane football 🏈 in 2023 could ensure we will soon be on our way out of CUSAAAC Hell.
I think they will go to 14, IF they can get the media deal worked out--even if it is a relatively short contract(s) (ie 5 or 6 years). With a media contract in hand, by inviting four new schools, starting at a 50% share that increases over the ensuing years, Kliavkoff can leverage larger shares for the PAC legacy schools, that might equal or even exceed the new Big 12 payouts. That would also give him 5 or 6 more years to come up with a more permanent solution for the west coast woes--if there is any permanent solution. That would also give Tulane resurrection out of AACUSA hell, and give us time to get our act together for something better down the road. We've been passed over many times, and now hopefully will rise from the dead AACUSA. Happy Easter and Passover.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave Fan
Low Tide

If Tulane announced a move to another conference how many years before the actual departure ? I'm thinking around 2 to 3 years.
Wave755
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:48 am
Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
We are in the same Central Time Zone as SMU?
💡🙋‍♂️
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:05 pm
I think they will go to 14, IF they can get the media deal worked out--even if it is a relatively short contract(s) (ie 5 or 6 years). With a media contract in hand, by inviting four new schools, starting at a 50% share that increases over the ensuing years, Kliavkoff can leverage larger shares for the PAC legacy schools, that might equal or even exceed the new Big 12 payouts. That would also give him 5 or 6 more years to come up with a more permanent solution for the west coast woes--if there is any permanent solution. That would also give Tulane resurrection out of AACUSA hell, and give us time to get our act together for something better down the road. We've been passed over many times, and now hopefully will rise from the dead AACUSA. Happy Easter and Passover.
We need to beat the Ole Miss Johnny Rebs at Yulman on 9/9/2023, icing on the cake for our Cotton Bowl win, and solidifying our position as top G5 football program + as "lagniappe" an AAU member university to boot!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:48 am Won't ever go to the PAC 12 , traveling money for fans and university, games played when fans will be going to sleep especially weekday games, who wants to watch games late at night, will not be prime time tv. University does not want to be in the Pac 12!!!~
BS. Utter and complete BS. If the PAC 12 offered us an invite today, we'd say "how soon can we PAC our bags?" Speak for yourself, most of the rest of us would kill to be in the PAC 12 rather than the AAC, and no PEE conference is banging on our door.