SMU to the ACC/PAC-12 discussions

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:14 pm Apple 🍏 to the rescue for PAC 12 media deal? https://www.outkick.com/apple-media-rig ... eculation/ They make great smart phones, I am using one right now. 😎

Apple CEO Tim Cook was Tulane commencement speaker in 2019? 🤞🏻

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:11 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:14 pm Apple 🍏 to the rescue for PAC 12 media deal? https://www.outkick.com/apple-media-rig ... eculation/ They make great smart phones, I am using one right now. 😎

So what we are not going to the Pac 12, would be the end to a good fan base, Games late at night really.
Greeniegb
Swell

Looks like the Pac 12 is locked in on SMU and San Diego St. Leaves out best chance going to the Big 12. Thank God, best chance for rivalries and no long traveling and late games!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 787c&ei=10
Wave755
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:03 pm Looks like the Pac 12 is locked in on SMU and San Diego St. Leaves out best chance going to the Big 12. Thank God, best chance for rivalries and no long traveling and late games!!!

Not if the PAC 12 eventually becomes the PAC 14?💡😎🤞🏻
anEngineer
Riptide

We just need the PAC to stay intact. That will leave both the Big12 and PAC looking elsewhere for expansion partners. If the PAC folds, the conference situation becomes P4 and there is probably no room for any newcomers.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Greeniegb wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:18 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:11 am

So what we are not going to the Pac 12, would be the end to a good fan base, Games late at night really.
How would it be the end to a good fan base? We have more alums in CA and the PNW than we do in LA. For every alum or student that doesn't travel to a road game because we're in the PAC, there will be another one that LIVES on the West Coast that will go to the game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:47 pm We just need the PAC to stay intact. That will leave both the Big12 and PAC looking elsewhere for expansion partners. If the PAC folds, the conference situation becomes P4 and there is probably no room for any newcomers.
Thanks to 🍏 I think the PAC will survive.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:03 pm Looks like the Pac 12 is locked in on SMU and San Diego St. Leaves out best chance going to the Big 12. Thank God, best chance for rivalries and no long traveling and late games!!!

Nowhere does he say he wants it to ONLY go to 12. Stop trying to spin the articles.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

Rumors of the death of the PAC 12 “greatly exaggerated.” 😎
https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... conference
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:52 am Rumors of the death of the PAC 12 “greatly exaggerated.” 😎
I hope the PAC12 stands and adds SDSU and SMU, that will make up for the other "alphabet" schools ucla and usc leaving...that said the big 12 will add USF, UTSA, Tulane, and either UAB or Memphis...that solves travel issues and caputures the best media markets available
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:58 am I hope the PAC12 stands and adds SDSU and SMU, that will make up for the other "alphabet" schools ucla and usc leaving...that said the big 12 will add USF, UTSA, Tulane, and either UAB or Memphis...that solves travel issues and caputures the best media markets available
This is our best case scenario. And as AnEngineer points out above, it's CRITICAL that the PAC survives. The death of the PAC would also be the death of Tulane's hopes to get into a P conference.

Frankly, I'm not sold on the idea that this Tulane Administration from the top down wants to get out of the AAC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:09 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:58 am I hope the PAC12 stands and adds SDSU and SMU, that will make up for the other "alphabet" schools ucla and usc leaving...that said the big 12 will add USF, UTSA, Tulane, and either UAB or Memphis...that solves travel issues and caputures the best media markets available
This is our best case scenario. And as AnEngineer points out above, it's CRITICAL that the PAC survives. The death of the PAC would also be the death of Tulane's hopes to get into a P conference.

Frankly, I'm not sold on the idea that this Tulane Administration from the top down wants to get out of the AAC.
this past Monday I played in a Texas Tech golf fund raiser here in scenic Georgetown......there was a Sunday nite dinner and auction, some of the conversation included Texas A&M and Kansas going to the Big10...that is the second time I have heard this from people associated with Athletic depts in the current big12
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:58 am
Wave755 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:52 am Rumors of the death of the PAC 12 “greatly exaggerated.” 😎
I hope the PAC12 stands and adds SDSU and SMU, that will make up for the other "alphabet" schools ucla and usc leaving...that said the big 12 will add USF, UTSA, Tulane, and either UAB or Memphis...that solves travel issues and caputures the best media markets available
I would think that CSU would be a better fourth candidate than UAB or Memphis. As far as UTSA, that could be a Big 12 poke-in-the-eye for UT. As a Big 12 member, UTSA could become a real challenge to UT, as UT will probably be getting a weekly spanking in the SEC.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:41 am
I would think that CSU would be a better fourth candidate than UAB or Memphis. As far as UTSA, that could be a Big 12 poke-in-the-eye for UT. As a Big 12 member, UTSA could become a real challenge to UT, as UT will probably be getting a weekly spanking in the SEC.
That's an interesting scenario that Big12 would hurt UT by elevating UTSA. Given the essentially unlimited resources of UT, it has been stunning how mediocre/bad they have been for the last 10-15 years. Why they think they can compete in the SEC, is unexplainable. Even A&M can't do it and they are a better program.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:34 pm
That's an interesting scenario that Big12 would hurt UT by elevating UTSA. Given the essentially unlimited resources of UT, it has been stunning how mediocre/bad they have been for the last 10-15 years. Why they think they can compete in the SEC, is unexplainable. Even A&M can't do it and they are a better program.
The legacy Big 12 may as well give up on in-state recruiting if they elevate UTSA to P5 status as that elevation would leave the Big 12 with 7 P5s (Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, and UTSA) without counting anything that could happen with SMU, and no other state currently has more than 4 P5s (California, North Carolina and Florida). The legacy Big 12's recruiting is already meh prior to the elevation of Houston - who win some of those recruiting battles moving forward - so the elevation of UTSA would cause even more damage on that front.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't see the Big 12 adding any of those schools. They've already said no more G5s. They're really expecting that FSU/Clemson will find a way to get out of that GOR, at which point Big 12 thinks that ACC will implode and the teams will split between B1G, SEC and Big12. I think they're crazy, even if the FSU/Clemson are successful, but that's what their thinking is.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am
I don't see the Big 12 adding any of those schools. They've already said no more G5s. They're really expecting that FSU/Clemson will find a way to get out of that GOR, at which point Big 12 thinks that ACC will implode and the teams will split between B1G, SEC and Big12. I think they're crazy, even if the FSU/Clemson are successful, but that's what they're thinking is.
They may keep thinking that for a while, but eventually Yormark will have to face reality which will force them to add some more G5's in order to get more eyeballs (both linear TV and streaming). With variable revenue sharing, it's going to be a race to add new schools. And it will be much easier for the legacy P5 schools to leverage off the admission of G5 schools--at least for a few years.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:17 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:34 pm

The legacy Big 12 may as well give up on in-state recruiting if they elevate UTSA to P5 status as that elevation would leave the Big 12 with 7 P5s (Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, and UTSA) without counting anything that could happen with SMU, and no other state currently has more than 4 P5s (California, North Carolina and Florida). The legacy Big 12's recruiting is already meh prior to the elevation of Houston - who win some of those recruiting battles moving forward - so the elevation of UTSA would cause even more damage on that front.
I think you mean the state of Texas would have 7 P5 schools. The addition of UTSA to the Big 12 would leave the Big 12 with five schools in Texas. Of course, Texas had seven schools in the old SWC, and it did cause fierce recruiting battles, and cheating, which eventually contributed to the SWC's demise. However, given UT's departure to the SEC, why would the Big 12 want to just concede more of the Texas recruiting market to the SEC--especially the central Texas recruiting turf. There are a number of reasons why a Big 12 invite to UTSA may never happen but sticking it to UT probably isn't one of them.
Wave755
Tsunami

UTSA is a "commuter school" with a 90% acceptance rate, 29% four-year graduation rate & ranked nos. 331-440 by USN&WR. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/un ... onio-10115 We need to be in a conference of true peer universities of Tulane, not academic bottom-feeders the likes of UTSA, UAB & Memphis. There is some consternation for the PAC 12 in probably offering San Diego State & SMU since neither is AAU, but later adding Tulane & perhaps Rice would allay those concerns.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:31 am
UTSA is a "commuter school" with a 90% acceptance rate, 29% four-year graduation rate & ranked nos. 331-440 by USN&WR. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/un ... onio-10115 We need to be in a conference of true peer universities of Tulane, not academic bottom-feeders the likes of UTSA, UAB & Memphis. There is some consternation for the PAC 12 in probably offering San Diego State & SMU since neither is AAU, but later adding Tulane & perhaps Rice would allay those concerns.
I don't disagree with you Wave755, a school is measured in part by who it runs with, and for us, right now, that is about to become the AACUSA--so any P5 offer will elevate our "neighborhood", even a Big 12 with UTSA or Memphis. And as far as UTSA being a "commuter school" that's the same label that UH has had for many years, and it didn't stop them from getting into the Big 12. No doubt the PAC 12, thus far, has maintained a stronger academic rep, but that may be challenged in what they decide to do going forward.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:28 pm
I don't disagree with you Wave755, a school is measured in part by who it runs with, and for us, right now, that is about to become the AACUSA--so any P5 offer will elevate our "neighborhood", even a Big 12 with UTSA or Memphis. And as far as UTSA being a "commuter school" that's the same label that UH has had for many years, and it didn't stop them from getting into the Big 12. No doubt the PAC 12, thus far, has maintained a stronger academic rep, but that may be challenged in what they decide to do going forward.
The State of the Commute from directional school ucla
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/b5 ... 75b1f73adf
Wave755
Tsunami

Tulane students, alumni and faculty would much prefer to be in a conference with the likes of Stanford & Cal-Berkeley than the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Florida Atlantic University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, University of North Texas, University of Memphis and University of Texas at San Antonio. PAC 12 membership would only enhance our profile and academic standing as a university. If 🍏 is truly "on-board," then the PAC 12 will survive "in spades." As of April, 2023 Apple has a market cap of $2.664 Trillion.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:51 pm
Tulane students, alumni and faculty would much prefer to be in a conference with the likes of Stanford & Cal-Berkeley than the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Florida Atlantic University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, University of North Texas, University of Memphis and University of Texas at San Antonio. PAC 12 membership would only enhance our profile and academic standing as a university. If 🍏 is truly "on-board," then the PAC 12 will survive "in spades." As of April, 2023 Apple has a market cap of $2.664 Trillion.
Amen, brother. Just get us out of AACUSA hell.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 pm
The State of the Commute from directional school ucla
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/b5 ... 75b1f73adf
The truth is, most universities are commuter schools to the extent that most of the students live off campus. I "commuted" to Tulane for five of my six years. Also, did you notice in the UCLA Commuters Report picture, that sawed-off football practice field that UCLA practices on?
Ruski
Swell

SMU is realizing that cheating is legal now and actually doing something to make sure they aren't left behind. They signed their second 4* today of the 2025 class, Rickey Stewart Jr. He has offers from every big school there is. Currently, they're ranked #4 in the very early 2025 class ranking.

They also have a 4* for their 2024 class.

I wonder how long they'll hold on to Rhett Lashlee. He seems like he's building a monster over there.