Tyjae Spears

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I watched some of the game, replayed last night on something called the Root Sports. I kept slow motion replaying Spears injury. As he crossed the goal line, his right leg is bent forward (in what looks like a normal step), but then it looks like something in the right knee gives way, as the leg collapses under his weight. I'll leave it others on this board to assess what might give way when your knee is bent forward in an otherwise normal looking step. And after leaving the injury tent, he literally has to hop on one foot, by himself, for 10 to 15 yards--really strange that none of the medical personnel or training staff were helping him leave the tent.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt a bad look from our medical staff.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 am Tulane World awaits. Is Spears hurt so bad that he needs to be given a medical red shirt (or not)? He was really playing so well up until his injury, Hopefully it is just a hyper-extension of that ACL.
There's no medical redshirt necessary. Unless they reneg, the NCAA granted EVERY player that plays or doesn't play this fall another year of eligibility.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TXWave88
Surge

It makes me believe that the injury was not initially determined to be very serious, but he was out for the game. The initial assessment may not be correct, but this is not typical Tulane medical team action. I almost immediately though knee sprain from the reaction of everyone, but the play does not look like that would be the case. Either that plus possibly Spears not cooperating because he was emotional as it looked like he escaped out of the tent as if it was Alcatraz. Still no idea, but just very odd. It did not help that they kept the camera on him hopping around everywhere. Almost looked like sketch comedy gone wrong.
Wave QB
Swell

TXWave88 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 am It makes me believe that the injury was not initially determined to be very serious, but he was out for the game. The initial assessment may not be correct, but this is not typical Tulane medical team action. I almost immediately though knee sprain from the reaction of everyone, but the play does not look like that would be the case. Either that plus possibly Spears not cooperating because he was emotional as it looked like he escaped out of the tent as if it was Alcatraz. Still no idea, but just very odd. It did not help that they kept the camera on him hopping around everywhere. Almost looked like sketch comedy gone wrong.
No. The kids emotions had nothing to do with it. Spears is a good kid and would follow directions of our trainers/ medical team. We painted an ugly picture to fans at home and at The Rock.
swampnik
Surge

From the other board just now: Had surgery this morning, out for the season.

Per Guerry
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave755
Tsunami

Here is the Guerry Smith Twitter link on Tyjae Spears:

https://twitter.com/Guersmith
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Serious injury but I'm glad it wasn't multiple tears. Happened early in the season so he should be able to play next year. Best of luck to him with his recovery. He's well known for his work ethic so he should work ahead of schedule.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GCLlives
Ripple

I read something about him suffering a leg injury during high school. Does anyone know if it is the same knee/issue?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78
Riptide

It sucks. His ability to stop and start on a dime was unmatched on this roster. We have very good backs on the roster, but losing Spears will hurt. Hopefully he can fully recover.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:56 am No. The kids emotions had nothing to do with it. Spears is a good kid and would follow directions of our trainers/ medical team. We painted an ugly picture to fans at home and at The Rock.
You know why this isn't true? Because 95% of the fans at home and at The Rock weren't paying attention to when the kid came out the tent and how he was moving around. You did, maybe a few others did. But I assure you 95% of those watching and in attendance didn't see it, or if they did, weren't aware it was out of the norm.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Eaglewave
Swell

Plenty of folks don’t like the way we handled that kid.
Ball Sumrall!
anEngineer
Riptide

I agree that the EXTREME focus on how attentive the staff was perceived to be or not be by people who were absolutely not a part of it has been silly. It really is just looking for something to grouse about and has been going on for several days.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:11 am I agree that the EXTREME focus on how attentive the staff was perceived to be or not be by people who were absolutely not a part of it has been silly. It really is just looking for something to grouse about and has been going on for several days.
Grousing? I can't remember the last time I saw a seriously injured player hopping around the sideline with no assistance--even the announcers were baffled by that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was shown very clearly on TV. Couldn't miss it. Some just take up for Tulane no matter how bad and obvious the screw up.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:51 pm It was shown very clearly on TV. Couldn't miss it. Some just take up for Tulane no matter how bad and obvious the screw up.
It had nothing to do with taking up for Tulane. But not everyone is aware of how a player should respond to a specific injury. When Deuce McAllister tore his ACL in 2007, he walked off the field under his own power. No one realized he was injured for the year.

I saw Tyjae was injured, but I don't pay attention to how good or bad a job the training staff is doing on the sidelines. That's their job, and they understand it far better than I do. I'm there to enjoy the game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:26 pm It had nothing to do with taking up for Tulane. But not everyone is aware of how a player should respond to a specific injury. When Deuce McAllister tore his ACL in 2007, he walked off the field under his own power. No one realized he was injured for the year.

I saw Tyjae was injured, but I don't pay attention to how good or bad a job the training staff is doing on the sidelines. That's their job, and they understand it far better than I do. I'm there to enjoy the game.
Total BS. Just another case where you take up for Tulane no matter how bad they screwed up. You want to hide behind I don't pay attention to that stuff. it was front and center on the TV screen. Everyone saw it. He was writhing in pain immediately. It was piss poorly handled. No doubt about it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:19 pm Total BS. Just another case where you take up for Tulane no matter how bad they screwed up. You want to hide behind I don't pay attention to that stuff. it was front and center on the TV screen. Everyone saw it. He was writhing in pain immediately. It was piss poorly handled. No doubt about it.
Exactly. Unlike Deuce McAlister, Spears didn’t walk off the field. And I don’t usually focus on injured players and the training staff, but when the injured star player is hopping around their sideline without any help—that’s odd.
Jaxwave
Swell

Heard Florida putting full court press on Tyjae.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's after May 1st and he didn't enter the portal. So if he left now he'd have to ask for a waiver to be able to play next season.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I really hate that CFB is about to get much worse for everyone. USC is apparently offering close to $3m for the WR from Pitt to transfer there
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:39 pm I really hate that CFB is about to get much worse for everyone. USC is apparently offering close to $3m for the WR from Pitt to transfer there
I think we all hate it. There's an easy fix though. The one rule they do have is the NIL money has to be commensurate with what the player does for it. He's not going to put in enough to merit $3 million.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

The schools should be required to turn over a percentage of sports revenue to NCAA for benefit of athletes and all should share equally regardless of sport or talent level. This should be enough money to cover basic needs outside those provided by scholarships, maybe 10k per. If a great player wants to skip college or leave college to go pro, then they should be allowed to do so. In this way, the athletes are treated fairly and the exploitation criticism goes away.