Tyjae Spears

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:31 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:39 pm I really hate that CFB is about to get much worse for everyone. USC is apparently offering close to $3m for the WR from Pitt to transfer there
I think we all hate it. There's an easy fix though. The one rule they do have is the NIL money has to be commensurate with what the player does for it. He's not going to put in enough to merit $3 million.
As an attorney, win, what do you think the chances of that rule ever surviving? Seriously, a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, economics 101. So if a rich alum is willing to pay a stud player $x millions who's to say that player didn't do enough to earn it? Anything prohibiting that payment is restraint of trade. And if you want to argue it further, how much value does the last player on the bench bring? Is that player entitled to zero NIL money?

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think it holds up. When you're paying them something that's so much more than you would pay anyone else for the same work it screams that it's an illegal inducement to play for a certain team. This isn't economics 101. It's about amateur sports and the court didn't declare them employees.
So the NCAA can still regulate it. It will get challenged and we'll find out what the court says. I think the court sees the mess its already created.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Oh Brother wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:53 am The schools should be required to turn over a percentage of sports revenue to NCAA for benefit of athletes and all should share equally regardless of sport or talent level. This should be enough money to cover basic needs outside those provided by scholarships, maybe 10k per. If a great player wants to skip college or leave college to go pro, then they should be allowed to do so. In this way, the athletes are treated fairly and the exploitation criticism goes away.
Seems like it would have been a better solution than what we now have. However it may be one of those things that you’d have to offer all the student body equal opportunity.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:45 am
Oh Brother wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:53 am The schools should be required to turn over a percentage of sports revenue to NCAA for benefit of athletes and all should share equally regardless of sport or talent level. This should be enough money to cover basic needs outside those provided by scholarships, maybe 10k per. If a great player wants to skip college or leave college to go pro, then they should be allowed to do so. In this way, the athletes are treated fairly and the exploitation criticism goes away.
Seems like it would have been a better solution than what we now have. However it may be one of those things that you’d have to offer all the student body equal opportunity.
how much does the school get for offering free education, room, board and healthcare, since if they did not offer athletics, the player nil opportunity would not exist... but why cloud the issue with fact
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Why should sh*t birds make money?
Let's hold hands & sing kumbaya while we're at it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:43 am how much does the school get for offering free education, room, board and healthcare, since if they did not offer athletics, the player nil opportunity would not exist... but why cloud the issue with fact
I couldn't agree more, 'nut. I think the old system actually benefited the athletes across all sports way more than the Universities have received credit for. A dominant majority of these athletes don't go pro. And the vast majority of them are set up for a much better life with the education they receive. Many have better quality of life than they had at home. The sad fact is the players that will benefit the most from the latest system are those that probably will need it the least upon graduation. Yes, there will be exceptions. Maybe we'll have a situation like we had at SMU in the 80's. Eric Dickerson once joked that he wanted to be traded from the Rams because SMU Alumni paid more than Georgia Frontiere and the Rams. Imagine how much he would have been paid at SMU if NIL was in place!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

I think the premier players will benefit from having to properly manage their image/money right out of high school.
NCAA football has always been a business.
exflash
High Tide

I guess the real consideration of pay is based upon more than ability but maybe on popularity for the brand giving the NIL money……..so a beautiful chick might pass the money for more than ability standard!
wave97
Swell

exflash wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 pm I guess the real consideration of pay is baserojectingd upon more than ability but maybe on popularity for the brand giving the NIL money……..so a beautiful chick might pass the money for more than ability standard!
No doubt about it. Developing & producing compelling nil content requires effort & talent. The Alabama's, USC's & Notre Dames of the world will have built in blow torch for distributing nil $. In the end I hope that developing compelling content will have a place for athletes to outsource their nil activity, or take a more hands on approach.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The NCAA has “spit the bit”, or it might be more accurate to say that the courts and state legislatures ripped the bit out of their mouth. I’d be surprised if the NCAA touches NIL, and if they try to, expect the FBS or P5 to completely split away from the NCAA. The NIL pandora is out of the box. I shake my head all the time
at how much companies will pay for incredibly lame commercials. So how can one judge that a car dealer, or any other entrepreneur alum, has overpaid an athlete to sit, talk and maybe sign autographs for a couple hours? No way to put a value on that—it’s worth whatever the car dealer is willing to pay—common sense be damned.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:28 pm
Great show! It replays on YouTube eventually
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

One of his NIL deals.
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

Ed Daniels and JT Curtis, on their post-Cotton Bowl game show, discussed the “non-recruiting” of Tyjae Spears. Of course, we recruited him, but college football’s royalty (USC and youknowwho, e. g.) did not.
Ed said he saw Tyjae in high school and could not believe he had more big time offers.

It reminds me of Saban’s comment about not recruiting Mewelde Moore in his then own back yard (Baton Rouge). Saban said something like, “He slipped away from our attention.”

JT said that is why college recruiting is not a “science. It is a guess.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Party just starting in Big D!!
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:30 pm Party just starting in Big D!!
Cheers!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its official.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

Wishing the best for the young man! He deserves it more than most!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:57 am Wishing the best for the young man! He deserves it more than most!
plus one from me...a humble and thankful young Man, who at the next level will once again, make those around him much better.... recruits, take notice, while the "buildings' play a part, the biggest part of your success are the people you interact with on a daily basis....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

Me and my family got to meet him this weekend at the hotel and he was nice off to take a picture with us. Great kid and with him all the best.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:54 am Its official.

Wow what a beautifully written declaration. His run in the AAC championship was the best I’ve ever seen in person. Good Luck! Tyjae!
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

Tyjae: NFL or NIL?

Looking at the RBs selected in rounds 2-4 last year, getting Tyjae a $1 million dollar would be around what those guys got guaranteed.

That's if he goes as high as round 4 or higher. Going lower, like round 6 or 7 might get him only 70-100k in guaranteed money.

For those more privy to such information, what's the most a Tulane NIL deal might get him? I have no idea.

Interesting that it now throws a wrinkle to loyal players that might be on the fence about coming back or not. Like imagine he could get 500k guaranteed to come back to Tulane. That's got to make it a tough choice.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thank you Tyjae for all you did for this program! Good luck in the NFL!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:30 am Tyjae: NFL or NIL?

Looking at the RBs selected in rounds 2-4 last year, getting Tyjae a $1 million dollar would be around what those guys got guaranteed.

That's if he goes as high as round 4 or higher. Going lower, like round 6 or 7 might get him only 70-100k in guaranteed money.

For those more privy to such information, what's the most a Tulane NIL deal might get him? I have no idea.

Interesting that it now throws a wrinkle to loyal players that might be on the fence about coming back or not. Like imagine he could get 500k guaranteed to come back to Tulane. That's got to make it a tough choice.
The NFL is the dream. The money second in line. Once they’re in the league then the money moves to the top.
Tulane Class of 1981